General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/13 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2006-09-14 9:17 AM
in reply to: #538931

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: RE: Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/13

Another idea is crock pot recipes. Yum. Chili, Beef Stew, Pot Roast, soup, etc.

Breakfast foods are easy to fix at night and take very little planning. Omelets, French toast (made high fiber bread), etc.

I sort of plan. Sometimes I get tired of all my planning, but it does work. Last night we had chicken tenders from publix though. (we did have fruit with it!)

2006-09-14 9:19 AM
in reply to: #540803

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
summer_2005 - 2006-09-14 10:12 AM
Once you can discipline yourself to do it, the "big batch" school of cooking is really awesome - your meals are all set, plus you save tons of money. I have about 10 pre-made lunch entrees in my freezer right now - some non-fried eggplant parm and some millet with bitter greens. My guess is they were all under $1 a serving. All I do is add a yogurt and some veggies, and I am set.

Wow, that really saves money, doesn't it! Since I buy high-quality, organic, all-natural frozen meals each one is ~5 dollars. Look at how much money you're saving! Man, it's almost enough to get me to learn how to cook. Almost!

Edited by TBZ 2006-09-14 9:19 AM
2006-09-14 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Well, you don't really have to "cook", that's the thing. Amy's Enchilada Pie is a favorite of mine - YUM! You can make it yourself - just dump some canned beans and corn in a microwave-safe tupperware, top with salsa, shredded cheese, and half a tortilla. I don't really "cook" at all except when it is awful outside and I can't go anywhere.
2006-09-14 9:51 AM

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Good morning all....I have a kind of unique eating situation. Since I work 2 full time jobs I am awake about 19 hrs a day. Usually I am great during the day Instant Oatmeal and fruit Low Fat Cottage Cheese Small Salad & Either Tuna or Smoked Turkey on wheat Banana or veggies and PB.

When I leave the day job I head home to sleep so I will usually only have a diet shake or nothing before I go to sleep. The night job is where I tend to get REALLY hungry and binge! There is so much crap there (chips, cookies, ice cream, soda) and I get really borded. I can sometimes go all night and only eat junk! SO BAD. Most nights though I try to be good and bring soup, fruit, lean cuisine, sandwich, salad...whatever I have at home to bring. It seems to be when I don't bring something that I binge the most!

Not really sure how much or when I should be eating since I am awake longer than most people. So I don't really follow breakfast, lunch, dinner its just eat when I can and try to be prepared ahead of time.

Sorry for the long post!!! Any ideas?
2006-09-14 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Man, I almost freaked when I couldn't find the thread! Talk about addiction!

Natalie -- wow that is a tough situation! I can't imagine functioning well with such long hours! How will you ever find time to train?

Do you have a rough idea of how many calories you currently eat and are you maintaining, gaining, or losing at that level? Finding out where you are right now might be a good starting point. Obviously it would be a good idea to pass on the junk at night and eat more of the kinds of things you eat during the day, since you are making such good choices then. Try to bring your FAVORITE healthy food for the night shift so you'd be less tempted to stray...
2006-09-14 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Hey gang!

Wow - I'm getting so many good ideas just from reading everyone's posts. Kathie, you just keep right on shopping for the right doctor and nutritionist, sometimes it takes awhile. One thing you might consider is that if you put in too few calories, you can slow your metabolism down ESPECIALLY if you are working out, because your body will think that you are in a food scarcity situation and that it needs to conserve all the calories it can. Sometimes in that situation, eating MORE actually gets you kicked into losing weight. But with your history you definitely deserve to have someone on your care team who gets it.

When DH and I do the plan/cook ahead, I can do pretty well. What gets me is always dinner. Breakfast is almost always oatmeal with raisins and 1/3 container yogurt. Lately I've been throwing in a handful of almonds for some added protein. (I do measure/weigh everything).
It's important for my body to remember the snacks, but I'm having trouble with that lately, and with getting lunch on time, because DS is now in school and I get busy and forget. That's my next thing to work on.

Then there is the dinner...argh...if I plan it and make it we're ok - we will have a chicken breast with frozen vegetables and sometimes some rice. A glass of wine and that's it. If I don't plan it, and DH picks something up or cooks, it will be too much food, too late to be eating, and usually a desert, too. That's the second thing I'm going to work on. In the meantime, I WILL eat less and at least get the portion control under control.

AND, I would LOVE to do that metabolic testing. My DietPower log calculates your rate based on the food and exercise you log, and it says that I burn about 1400-1500 calories a day - WITH exercise. Argh, I sure hope that is not completely true.

Ok, third thing I am doing is trying to limit my computer time as the butt spreads into the chair. My 15 minute timer just dinged, so I'm off for awhile!

Take care all, and thanks so much for all the help,
Ann

2006-09-14 10:26 AM

Regular
Natalie - One of the important parts of this, or any exercise and nutrition plan is hard work and discipline. Since you no doubt put many of us to shame in that department with your current work schedule you only need to figure out what will work for you to get focussed on this. We are all rooting for you. The Couch-to-5K plan is a great starting point. I am in the first week and find it to be a great introduction to a training regimen. Good luck and keep us updated.
2006-09-14 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Oh yeah, Natalie! One other thing, how about taking up a needlework hobby or something you can do with your hands when bored at night (are you in healthcare)? My grandmother did that for years on nursing night shift, and when I am really struggling with staying out of the junk I use it myself. Keeping my hands busy keeps my mind off the vending machines...

And on diet soda...I used to be seriously addicted. I had to train myself off of them and now my biggest vice is unsweetened iced tea. It took awhile to get off the sweeteners, but I had read something that made sense. It said that your body doesn't really know that it is an artificial sweetener, it just knows it got something sweet. So then you still have a 'sweet tooth' and it can affect your cravings. I eat a LOT less regular sweets since I stopped using articial sweeteners.

And CHEWING GUM...well, you'd think it would keep your mouth busy so you don't eat, but what it does is release saliva into your stomach, and that is the trigger to start digestion, so then your tummy says 'HEY - WHERE"S THE FOOD THAT GOES WITH THAT SPIT?" and mission foiled.

Ok, really, now, gotta move my body....
2006-09-14 10:53 AM
in reply to: #540696

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
ANOVA - 2006-09-14 9:18 AM

John:

My meal plan is rather simple at this point.

Breakfast:two servings of flavored oatmeal or three eggs and two slices of turkey bacon

Mid morning: One diet shake

Lunch: Prepackaged Southbeach lunch

Mid afternoon: One diet shake

Supper: Um, well this is where it tends to fall apart.

Post workout: one piece of fresh fruit.

The big deal with me is getting rid of the soft drinks. I don't like coffee so I was drinkng a large Mountain Dew each morning. If you look at my log, you'll see that I made no real improvemnt in weight during the last two weeks. I went off the pop Monday and I have seen some changes that may have resulted from dropping the pop. Right now the only thing I'm drinking is water, but I actually like water so its not a sacrifice for me.

I've been eating the prepackaged Southbeach meals for lunch and/or supper ... they're really tood to me! I must drink more water. I do not like it ... grrrr.
2006-09-14 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
i'm always wondering how people can NOT like water... i drink up to 4.5 liters of water a day and love it. when i drink some sort of soda it feels like glue in my stomach and i have this weird aftertaste in my mouth and my teeth feel like sandpaper...
2006-09-14 11:29 AM

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Thanks for all the great info!

Michelle - it will definately be a challenge finding time to train because of my hours. But since I am so new to this and only really focusing on running right now it shouldn't be too bad. Also I hope to be out of the second (night) job in another month which will REALLY give me lots of time to train! Not really sure how many calories I am consuming. I keep a food journal but I have only been writing what I ate and not the calories. I'll have to add the calories for a week or so and see if I can't figure that out.

John - I am sooo looking forward to starting the couch to 5k next week. Glad to hear that it seems to be working out for so many people using it. I've heard its a great plan.

Ann - Thanks for the great tips! I never would have tought that about gum and I do that all the time if I get hungry!!! I'm not in health card I do auditing for Marriott (hence the bordom! hahaha) but all the same I do have plenty of time to do something constructive. My new BT addictions seems to be taking up some of that time though Gone are the days of being a productive employee! haha!

2006-09-14 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia

I want to play along and become a Tri'umphant loser!  I did Tri's 18 year and 60 lbs ago and would love to get at least 40 pounds off (doing it slowly and the right way)!

Currently, I am at 224 pounds and stand 5' 10".  Goal weight is 184.

2006-09-14 12:16 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
As far as my "diet" I just try not to stuff myself. My biggest problem is that I always had seconds and I always cleaned my plate. I used to get heartburn and upset stomach all the time from overeating. Now I have been trying to just stop when I have had enough, instead of stop when the food is gone. I eat out less, too. That is a BIG problem for me because I just HAVE to eat all my dinner when I know what I just paid for it. I don't make any foods off limits because it only makes me crave them more. I just try to control quantity.
2006-09-14 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Welcome, Mike (msampse11)!

Edited by TBZ 2006-09-14 12:17 PM
2006-09-14 12:18 PM

User image

Master

I think we have some MIAs from that first intro thread... maybe we should figure out who hasn't checked in since then and send some encouraging PMs...
2006-09-14 12:26 PM
in reply to: #541179

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

tkbslc - 2006-09-14 7:16 PM As far as my "diet" I just try not to stuff myself. My biggest problem is that I always had seconds and I always cleaned my plate. I used to get heartburn and upset stomach all the time from overeating. Now I have been trying to just stop when I have had enough, instead of stop when the food is gone. I eat out less, too. That is a BIG problem for me because I just HAVE to eat all my dinner when I know what I just paid for it. I don't make any foods off limits because it only makes me crave them more. I just try to control quantity.

oh i know that problem... i always have to clean my plate too... if there's a lot on my plate i'll eat it and if there's just a small portion i'll be happy with it too... normally.. if it was REALLLY good i want more but oh well...

that's how i was raised... don't throw food out!! it cost money and in africa ppl are starving... so yeah... it took me quite a while to learn it... it still feels kind of weird, but i know it's better throwing it out than eating it and feeling sick and guilty afterwards...

oh and welcome mike

2006-09-14 12:46 PM

Regular
My wife does the cooking and I do the dishes. I am sure there are plenty of nights that I have several hundred extra calories from just finishing up a little bit here and there instead of throwing it out or saving it. There are hazards everywhere. Maybe I should stop doing the dishes.
2006-09-14 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Even better, maybe your wife should stop cooking (I'm sure that twould be her solution instead)...
2006-09-14 12:55 PM
in reply to: #541053

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
kathie - 2006-09-14 11:57 AM

i'm always wondering how people can NOT like water... i drink up to 4.5 liters of water a day and love it. when i drink some sort of soda it feels like glue in my stomach and i have this weird aftertaste in my mouth and my teeth feel like sandpaper...

For me it's the same as not liking mushrooms or liver ... I just don't like it. It's not like I decided not to like it ... but I have to make a SERIOUS effort to drink enough of it ... and I'll do ANYTHING I can to make it more bearable. The colder the better ... and Crystal Light On The Go when the plainness of it just yucks me out.
2006-09-14 1:06 PM

Regular
Michelle, No doubt you are right. She is quite proud of acknowledging that her favorite thing to make for dinner is reservations.
2006-09-14 1:11 PM
in reply to: #538977

Houston, TX

I sent an E-mail to Ben & Jerry's to see if they would start listing "miles required to break even" on the carton.

Too too funny!  They're having an "ice cream social" this afternoon here at work.  I wasn't going to go, but I HAVE been good today.  And it's free Blue Bell!

2006-09-14 1:39 PM

User image

Master
"Free" Blue Bell has TWICE the calories! Didn't anybody tell you?
2006-09-14 1:45 PM

Houston, TX

Goodness, there's too much to catch up on in this thread!  But now I should get the email updates, so I won't get behind again.

Okay, I got bored with counting WW points, so I haven't done that in a good 2 weeks or so.  I've been trying to record my nutrition in my BT log for the past week; I like seeing the breakdown of protein/carbs/fats.  Don't get that with WW.  (And seeing that %fat did inspire me to go for grilled redfish yesterday at lunch instead of fried catfish.)

Since I'm not counting WW points, I tried to find out how many calories I should aim for every day.  Every online calculator estimates that a 160# (my goal weight) moderately active woman should consume in the neighborhood of 2300 cal/day!  That sounds like a lot!

On the other hand, another "health" website said I should aim to consume 1200-1600 cal/day to lose weight.  That sounds impossibly low!

So it's hard to tell what's useful and what's not.  Sounds like my best best is to just experiment by trial and error.  I think I'm averaging about 2000 cal/day this week.

2006-09-14 1:46 PM
in reply to: #541351

Houston, TX

TBZ - 2006-09-14 1:39 PM "Free" Blue Bell has TWICE the calories! Didn't anybody tell you?

OH NO!  And it's being served right next door!  Somebody hogtie me!

2006-09-14 2:46 PM

Regular
I enjoy immersing myself in new things. It keeps me motivated and makes it fun for me. In that vein, does anyone subscribe to any sport specific magazines that you could recommend? For reading while on the bike or treadmill at the gym, of course.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/13 Rss Feed  

of 7