General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/13 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2006-09-14 2:47 PM
in reply to: #538931

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Subject: RE: Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/13
Runner's World. Triathlete. Entertainment Weekly.

2006-09-14 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX

So I have a question...

I was looking at meal replacement shakes.

Would those be okay or not to bother with them?

2006-09-14 3:02 PM

Regular
I have tried them a few times in the past.  I personally find them okay, taste wise, and definitely convenient but not very filling.
2006-09-14 3:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

hey guys!!! guess what guess what... today was the first day, that i ran/walked my 30 mins with a (turtle) speed of under 8min/kilometer!!! whoohooo 7:53 hahaha but still... 300 meters more for me today than usually... i could see the 4k coming, but didn't happen one or two more weeks and i'll do it!!

when my mp3 player broke while i was running i figured out why i suck when ever i run alone... i start running to the music and listening to "korn" makes me run way too fast when i start off... so of course i'm out of breath after just a few minutes... but oh well... it was a good run... except for the final 1.5 minutes... i was counting seconds lol

i got a question for you all... what are you thinking about when you're running/biking/swimming? something in particular, just listening to music etc?

since i'm so nosy i should answer that question myself i guess... well... when i'm doing good i just let my mind wonder... i enjoy the scenery or what not... (i'll have to post a couple of pics those days - then you'll understand)... but when i'm doing bad and am about to give up i think about weird things... i think about christine webb in that 140.6 documentary, or i think about you guys how i'm supposed to motivate you by going through this (i'm trying to tell myself you all need me and without me the world will stop turning!! LMAO) and if all that doesn't help i tell myself that i'll never be an iron(wo)man if i can't take that tiny bit of pain...

by the time i'm done thinking about all that stuff running time is usually up and i can relax and enjoy the scenery again lol  

2006-09-14 3:19 PM
in reply to: #541525

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

jph35609 - 2006-09-14 1:46 PM I enjoy immersing myself in new things. It keeps me motivated and makes it fun for me. In that vein, does anyone subscribe to any sport specific magazines that you could recommend? For reading while on the bike or treadmill at the gym, of course.

Bicycling is a great magazine. 

P.S. look for your subscriptions on Ebay. You can get most mags for like $5 a year.  

2006-09-14 3:22 PM
in reply to: #541550

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
tri_sandz - 2006-09-14 1:59 PM

So I have a question...

Personally I think they are a waste.   If I try to replace some real food with some diet foot, I end up still wanting the real food.  If I drank a slim fast for lunch I would want a sandwich an hour later.     

2006-09-14 3:24 PM
in reply to: #541550

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
tri_sandz - 2006-09-14 2:59 PM

So I have a question...

Like Slimfast? Those aren't "real food". A Yoplaight or Stonyfield Farms type smoothie for brekkie, sure. Even better, make your own - you can get a hefty servign of calcium and two servings of fruit easily.
2006-09-14 3:32 PM
in reply to: #541607

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX

I could use some recipes to make my own - oh yeah and a new blender - I burned one out.

I'm listening - ohh and if the recipe contains regular milk - I have to buy Lactaid.

I know a TMI but I am basically lactose intollerant. Yes we eat cheese but being a single Mom with one human child. Let's just say glad no one else is around.

2006-09-14 3:35 PM

User image

Master
I drink SlimFast for breakfast. Because I like them and they are convenient.
2006-09-14 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Lactose intolerant, hmmmm? Well, then the cheapest option right now would be protein powder, if you like it O.K. If not rice/soy milk and silken tofu ($ though) are fine as well as Lactaid.

Basic recipe:

~100 calories protein food (powder, milk, yogurt, or soem combo)
Two servings fruit, preferably frozen (for texture)
Rib-sticking add-ons (optional): 1 tblps. flax, peanut butter

Good fruit combos:

Strawberry/banana
Peach/raspberry
Melon/blueberry
Orange/banana
Orange/strawberry
Berry blast (multiple berries)
Pineapple/banana
Pineapple/strawberry

Etc.

Almost any fruit is good, except for apples/pears, which tend to be mealy.
2006-09-14 4:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

if you use fresh fruit add some ice cubes for getting it "smoothier"... learned that while working for baskin robbins... that's the main ingredience for their smoothies...

when i'm at home (and with that have a blender) i usually make my smoothies like that:

• apple
  • orange
  • banana
  • some frozen fruit
  • yoghurt or even better youghurt drink
  • ice cubes

that's about 1 liter... i drink half for breakfast, put the rest in the fridge and have it for lunch when i get home from school... in school i usually eat a small sandwich (about 3 inches) with cheese and cucumber and some belled pepper... the lady in our cafeteria makes the best in the world lol i have dinner around 4pm... after that only fruit or veggies in case i'm hungry... 

for slim fast... to me it's like water to damn who was it again? i need to write things down i'm soo sorry!! come kick my butt i deserve it... i hate the taste of it and i only make myself drink it when i absolutely don't feel like eating (happens every once in a while)...  

2006-09-14 4:14 PM

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
I use a weight loss shake like Slim Fast when I'm in a hurry or don't think I'll have time to eat a real meal. But I agree I am usually hungry in about 2 hours after I drink one. Not very filling at all.
2006-09-15 3:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
good morning girls  hope you all slept well and are ready for the new day...
2006-09-15 4:03 AM

User image

Master
TGIF everyone!

I'm headed to the pool and since I have no time limits this morning (no work for me today, yippee!) I'm going to just try and swim really loooonnnggg until I don't feel like swimming anymore. We'll see how that goes!
2006-09-15 4:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
have fun at the pool!! i'll do the same after work... tonight the danish chicks will cook some typical danish food but i'm not sure if i'll like it... but i guess a little workout before won't hurt - just in case i like it haha
2006-09-15 6:47 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Yesterday, day one at work was okay...tempting donuts and pizza but I was good. After Sunday's bad eating after the HIM, I've been good...those peanut M & M's were in my cart but I didn't buy them. I feel more in control again...which is nice. Last tri of the year tomorrow then no training so I will need to watch what I eat very carefully next two weeks....and come up with some other ways to keep moving. I did skip my easy workout 30' bike/15' run brick as it was raining and I had no desire/time to clean/wash my bike for such a short workout. I normally never skip workouts so I can tell I'm ready for time off.

My favorite book that really helped me with simple and easy to implement ideas to lose weight is Ken Mierke's Evolution Running. The book is about how running for triathletes and  has a fantastic chapter about getting to your ideal weight as a triathlete. It is the best  book on how to lose weight and not lose muscle mass geared for traiathletes I've read. Some of his tips are really simple and easy to impletment but really do help. I followed what he recommends and lost 23 pounds in a year after being stalled for a long while.

http://www.evolutionrunning.com/

Enjoy your Friday everyone and make good food choices and get your workouts in!

2006-09-15 6:56 AM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

Good morning, everyone!  Michelle - have a GREAT swim... it feels great to have the freedom to spend as long as you want in the pool!

Sorry for the very short post, but my TGIF involves packing and getting to the airport to head back home to the family!   I will catch up with everyone when I get back home.

Enjoy the weekend, enjoy the last Tri of the season, etc.!

- Sharon

2006-09-15 7:05 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

Have a great Friday everyone!  Good luck with the swim, race, and travel respectively.

I'm stopping at the shop on my way home to get a bento box for my long ride tomorrow.  Time to finally get the new Mercury out for a few hours!  woo hoo!

2006-09-15 7:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

hey sharon.. have a safe trip home!!!

michelle where are you? still at the pool?? hell of a workout huh?

good luck for the tri tomorrow kathy!! you'll do just fine!!!

for me... 25 more mins of work.. but i'm afraid it'll be more... my boss is in a meeting, and then we have to carry stairs up to the 7th floor (only from the 5th thank goodness lol)

i'm so tired.. all i want to do right now is sleep... i haven't slept good in almost 2 months now... it's time to go home and sleep in my own bed... waterbed... mhhmmm.... can't wait!!!! my back can't wait either... haha

2006-09-15 7:11 AM
in reply to: #541599

Houston, TX

Personally I think they <meal replacement shakes> are a waste.   If I try to replace some real food with some diet foot, I end up still wanting the real food.  If I drank a slim fast for lunch I would want a sandwich an hour later.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.  An occasional shake is okay for convenience, but not for every day.  This boils down to one fact:  you can't keep the weight off (and that's what we Tri'umphant Losers are trying to do, right?) until you commit to a lifestyle change.  So doing something that you can't maintain every day is a waste of time and energy because the changes won't last.  I think you're better off trying to find wholesome foods that you can enjoy every day for the rest of your days.  This is the basic philosophy that I've been following for five years, and it's helped me to keep off over 60# and counting......

2006-09-15 7:22 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Good morning peeps! Just wanted to advertise that I passed up dinner with my mom and aunt at PF Changs so I could go ride. Woo Hoo.

Then had a scrambled egg sandwich and glass of milk for dinner.

I'm so proud. Tonights another test though.

Scale said 148 this morning. I know I'm a bit dehydrated, but still. Before when I was dehydrated it said 150, so that's progress.

Happy Friday!

2006-09-15 7:48 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Hey everyone...TGIF!!!

I am really getting excited for my race tomorrow, and to do a race with my sister which is fun - especially because we are SO VERY different...I have a spreadsheet training plan, log everything, worry about balancing workouts, log meals, try to eat well, etc. She just bikes when she feels like it, swims when she feels like it, eats whatever - sometimes good, sometimes bad, and never runs except in races where she mostly walks. Sometimes we both wonder 'who raised you?!'

So today I was thinking about a workout but will probably do some yoga and get some more projects done. I can't believe how much more energy I have just having some of the things hanging over my head out of the way!

And last night I made a good choice...we had a reception at DS's school and I took a chicken salad croissant because my friends all were eating them and they looked yummy but then when we sat down I thought about it and handed it to DH. Yahoo...

Yahooooo to all of you getting your workouts in, eating well, and making good choices, too!

And Yahooo to those who are here, because that is an awesome first step and it's fun with more to play with!!!

Take care all,
Ann
2006-09-15 7:55 AM

User image

Master

Hey, a big PPPPPFFFFFFFFT! to everyone who is downing my SlimFasts. I like 'em, they don't leave me hungry, and they work for me long-term.

*pats her SlimFast on the head so it doesn't cry*

Of course, as with all things, your mileage may vary. I'm probably the one person in 50 million who actually LIKES them.

I had a great swim this morning, new longest distance for me.
2006-09-15 8:00 AM

User image

Master
Great job Suzanne and Miss Banana on kicking Temptation's BUTT! Whoo hoo!

GOOD LUCK Kathy and Banana on your races tomorrow! Anyone else racing that I missed?

I'm so ready for the weekend! Weekends used to be a real struggle food-wise since that is when DH is most apt to bring home all manner of junk to eat. But he's out of town so there is no junk in sight! Whoo hoo!
2006-09-15 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Eating wasn't the best yesterday, although it was O.K. Good news is that I went to Target for an essentials stop and left with the only food items being salsa and mustard. The Halloween candy was on sale, and I thought "oh, I'll save money". But, no, I wouldn't save money because I'd be buying it the day before anyway after I ate all the discount candy.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/13 Rss Feed  

of 7