Adirondack Marathon Distance Festival
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 41s
Overall Rank = 11/496
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/25
Pre-race routine:

Didn't get great sleep on Leigh's couch :/. Ate a bagel with peanut butter in the car, then some fruit closer to arriving. Got our bibs and loaded the bus to the start line.
Event warmup:

One mile with pickups
Run
  • 1h 26m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Really impressed with this run. Going in I wasn't expecting a super fast time given the expected heat (they even cancelled the full due to it). Start time was 90 minutes later than last week at Palio too, so the plan was to start conservative. But once we got to the start line, I realized the first several miles would be mostly shade, and it actually wasn't THAT hot yet. So I started out very similar to Palio, in the mid 6:40s. At the bottom of the lake we ran through a camp ground, and the crowds were NUTS! It was really awesome, and got me pumped up to drop the pace a little bit. Coming out of the campground is when it started getting tougher. The shade was gone, and the hills arrived shortly before the halfway mark. I kept things consistent, stayed up on hydration and nutrition, and slowly started reeling in some people. I hit mile 10 very close the pace from Palio and was really shocked I was not fading in the heat and hills. As I paced another runner, he said it was downhill from 11.5 on, that was nice to hear! There was one more guy I wanted to get before the finish too, and I reeled him in with about a mile to go. I noticed he wasn't fading much though, based on crowd noise, so there would be no cruising to the finish here. Kept the pressure on and finished strong. Could not believe I was only about 30 seconds slower than Palio, given more hills and higher temperatures, crazy!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, really well executed race with trending negative splits.
Post race
Warm down:

Not in terrible shape, but had to sit down for a little bit. Drank some water then watched Leigh finished. Went shin deep in the lake (a common thought among runners... guessing that is rare at this event!) and got some food before awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

Really liked this race. The course was beautiful, great crowds (especially the camp ground), and one year I want to win a carved bear!!

Last updated: 2017-09-30 12:00 AM
Running
01:26:41 | 13.1 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/25
Overall: 11/496
Performance: Good
Course: Point to point around the bottom of Schroon Lake. Some hills but nothing too crazy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes