General Discussion Race Reports! » The Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pacific Grove, California
United States
Tri California
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 05m 10s
Overall Rank = 467 /957
Age Group = M40 & TNT Male
Age Group Rank = 51/74
Pre-race routine:

Ate bagel & cream cheese and coffee at 5:30 with water. Biked with team down to the race site and set-up transition site about 1 1/2 hours before race. Had Mocha Gel about 15 minutes before the race with power bar endurance.
Event warmup:

As I was putting on my wet suit and I was pulling out all of the slack my hand slipped. I ended up cutting my lip and was bleeding. What a great start! One of my friends (and I wish I could remember who said it) commented "Nice--you're bleeding and your going to swim in the ocean. Well I guess the good news is that the blood will be trailing you, so the sharks will pick off the swimmers behind you."

I swam in lover's point to get adjusted to the water about 10 minutes before hand. Surprisingly enough I was not overly worked up or overly stressed.
Swim
  • 34m
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a great start (entering the water to AC/DC's TNT), but that quickly ended. After about 50 meters I was getting battered around quite a lot. At one point in time, I was swimming over two people, while having two more swim over me. At that point I seriously thought about quitting. However, I gutted it out. Not long after that the group began to spread out and I was able to work on lengthening my stroke. I felt much better on the return back to shore. However, I did go off course--which I corrected when a kayaker came up next to me and whistled at me. As I was getting out of the ocean the next wave of swimmers started. The exit out of the water was excellent and I felt good running around the rock. I saw Danette standing around the rock cheering me on. She said I was smiling the entire time. It was wonderful and made me go faster. On the the way back to the ocean (like a lemming) I gave spectators high fives. It was great! I dove back into the water and soon caught up with the next wave. I had to pass quite a few people to pass out to the first buoy. I saw a couple of my teammates Helen and Giselle. In fact I asked Giselle how she was doing. After the first buoy I was able to focus on my stroke and felt like I was swimming much faster. I remembered to kick harder at the end to ensure that I had enough blood in my legs to avoid "sea legs."
What would you do differently?:

I would have started more off to the right -- away from the crazies! Oh wait I'm one of the crazies. Also, next time I know what I need to do at the beginning to stay calm.

Transition 1
  • 06m
Comments:

My exit from the water was nice and uneventful. I was able to get the wet suit unzipped and down to my waist very easily. I felt good running up the rock staircase. I thanked the volunteer who hosed my feet down and continuted to the transition area. When I arrive at my transition area took the wet suit off pretty quickly. However, I did not notice that the &%#@ timing chip fell off when I took off the suit. So the rest of my times I've estimated. As I put on my shoes my calf cramped up. I put the rest of my gear on and did not have other problems. I ran about 1/8 of a time to the bike start.

Watch the fricken timing chip!
Bike
  • 84m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I was very happy with my time on the bike. I was planning on 15 miles per hour and ended up with 17 3/4 MPH. After leaving the transition, I was able to get out to the turn-around very fast and was surprised to see Dustin at the turn-around cheering me on. What a pick-up! The second half of the first lap was solid--with me really going fast (ok--for me). At the turn-around time I saw Danette, Logan, Layton, Dennae, and Megan cheering me on. Again--what a pick-up. I average just less than 18 MPH for the first lap! During the second lap, I slowed down a little to conserve energy. Dustin was joined by Shelly and Julia about 1/4 a mile away from the turn-around. The third lap was faster and I really felt that the last lap was pretty strong. I did a decent job getting water/Powerbar Endurance and Gells into by body on the course. One added bonus was that a lot of the TNT members were really supportive and we constantly shouted out "Go Team" to each other. Coming into this event I was most worried about the bike and everything went very well. I will say many riders passed me!

I need to get better at lowering my center of gravity by leaning down more. As I become a better cyclist, I need to move away from a camelback to solely using water bottles. Also, I probably need to invest in Aero bars and bike clip-in shoes.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

When I hopped off the bike my legs were like jello. I had to slow down a little during the run--but overall, I was pretty happy.

I had an outstanding transition. I had no problems and since I was riding in my running shoes I was able to get a great transition time.

Not much
Run
  • 58m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was nice and uneventful. The first lap was really difficult as I was slower due to my "jello" legs. After the hill I was able to pick-up the pace. I was yelling, "go team" constantly--which ensured that I kept my race pace down to a reasonable pace. I was surprised at the amount of support that I received from spectators in this event. The next two laps were much better and I was able to improve my time. As I passed the finish line, my family was cheering me on--which made the whole event more special. Thanks to Danette, Logan, Layton, Dennae, Julia, Megan, Shelley and Dustin for yelling for me. Also, thanks to my team--which I seemed to run into constantly on the course.

I could have pushed it more on the last lap.
Post race
Warm down:

I did quite about of stretching. I ended up walking around quite a bit. I think that helped to keep me from being sorer the next day.

Results:
--51 out of 74 or 68% for Men 40 to 45
--319 out of 470 Men or 68%
--467 out of 957 Total or 48%

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weakest event is biking. I need to improve in order to significantly improve my time. Fortunately, the course was flat--which meant that I was able to "hide" much of my weakness. Secondly, I need to be more ready for the "contact" during the swim.

Event comments:

This was a nice solidly run event. Team in Training support was extremely well run. The TRI was on time and I believe the only delay that they had was 1 minute for the Pro Women so they men could complete their turn without conflict. This was the 12th year of the event and I thought that they did an outstanding job. There were tons of volunteers and they seemed to be very well organized. As this is my first TRI I don't have anything to compare it to.

As far as the course what a location! Pacific Grove is one of the nicest places on the earth and it translates to a great TRI! The water is 61 degrees and filled with kelp--which I didn't mind. The bike course is small rolling hills (almost completely flat). The run is flat--except for one hill. I would love to come back again.

I would like to thank my BeginnerTriathelete.com buddies. They have left me numerous comments that have picked me up when I'm down. In alphabetical order BodyCheck, Brian, Jak, MLJ. Thanks guys.

Also, I would like to thank the coaches at Indian Valley Swim team who helped me improve my stroke this summer. Thanks Sarah Wondolowski & Sam. Two years ago I could not swim and they have gotten me far.

Also, I would like to thank my donors--who helped me raise over $4K and after Aetna Company matching should be over $7K. I was amazed by your generosity. Mike Robinson and Pete Charles are my two bosses--who allowed me to shift my schedule around and were extremely supportive. Mark Schroeder who had to pick us some of the pieces at work during this period.

I would like to thank my TNT team. Coach Paul Kinney was outstanding and kept the team going in a balance/low key approach. Coach Adam Njaa for improving my swim--pointing out a flaw in my stroke two weeks before race day. Coach Andrew Kilkenny & Coach Amy Amundson for helping me lengthen my stroke. Captains Mike Kyle & Mike Digirolamo for coordinating the Sunday workouts--you guys saw me at both my best and my worse. Also, the Capt'n o' fun Darren McNally for keeping everything balanced.

Our team manager Megan Kilkenny for getting everything done and on sign-up day saying, "no, no, no don't sign up for the sprint, you can do the Olympic." Helen Tsai for taking thousands of pictures. Captain Nicole Kohleriter for providing balance to the training by reminding us of our mission. To my teammates I want to thank you for putting up with me and taking this amazing journey with me. I hope that I have not forgotten anything

And last and certainly not least Raji Watawala for being my mentor. It is amazing that you have done 23 endurance events and have raised over $100k. You kept me balanced and helped me work though many issues associated with getting through the TRI.

Finally, I would like to thank my family. Your have had to put up with a lot these four months. Danette--thank you for allowing to complete this. Logan, Leigh, Landon, Layton and Dennae thanks for everything. Julie, Megan, Shelly and Dustin--thanks for making it to my race and for your support. This really meant a lot to me. You all have me back after this (until the 9 month iromman training course-- :-) Just joking.

Last updated: 2006-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:00 | 1500 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/74
Overall: 427/957
Performance: Average
Suit: TNT Wetsuit
Course: Triangle course that had two loops. After first loop, we jumped out and ran around a large rock on the Lover's Point beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:84:00 | 24.85 miles | 17.75 mile/hr
Overall: 0/957
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Started at Lover's Point beach. Rode along the ocean and then parellel to the Spanish Bay Golf course and back. Four laps.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:10 | 06.21 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Overall: 0/957
Performance: Average
Course: The course is from Lover's Point down to the Aquarium and back. On the way back, you shoot up a hilly side street. Three laps.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-13 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Subject: The Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance

2006-09-13 11:38 AM
in reply to: #539039

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: RE: The Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance
Sounds like a cool tri. Love that area. I live in LA so it is much easier to do the LA one.

That bites about the timing chip. Nothing goes perfectly though in tris or life.

Cheers
2006-09-14 10:38 PM
in reply to: #539520

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Thanks for the comments. You're right about life. Things always go funky!

Geoff
2006-09-19 9:25 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
I don't know how I managed to miss this - you did an AWESOME job!!!!  Congratulations!
2006-09-26 11:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

Congratulations!  I am a TNT mentor in AZ and we had 2 participants. 

GO TEAM!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Triathlon at Pacific Grove - Olympic Distance Rss Feed