General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for #1 piece of advice doing HIM on consecutive weekends. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-10-26 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Subject: Looking for #1 piece of advice doing HIM on consecutive weekends.
Came off HIM NC with a disappointing gut issue on the run, so signed up for Austin this weekend.

Workouts this week are few, light, short, and with intensity. I'm not overdoing it and given I'm three days away the only workouts left are to shake things lose. My training plan peaked for NC and pretty sure I'm carrying a lot of that into Austin.

For those of you who have squeezed big races together in the past, what race strategy did you use on the 2nd race? Did you go in thinking you'd start easy or did you go for broke both times?

Should I worry about deep seated fatigue even though I feel like I'm recovering quickly?

Edited by FranzZemen 2017-10-26 2:33 PM

2017-10-26 4:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: Looking for #1 piece of advice doing HIM on consecutive weekends.
Originally posted by FranzZemen

Came off HIM NC with a disappointing gut issue on the run, so signed up for Austin this weekend.

Workouts this week are few, light, short, and with intensity. I'm not overdoing it and given I'm three days away the only workouts left are to shake things lose. My training plan peaked for NC and pretty sure I'm carrying a lot of that into Austin.

For those of you who have squeezed big races together in the past, what race strategy did you use on the 2nd race? Did you go in thinking you'd start easy or did you go for broke both times?

Should I worry about deep seated fatigue even though I feel like I'm recovering quickly?

My advice would be to keep with your plan for race#1. The swim will not change the outcome-try to hit your goal pace, be efficient and don't waste too much time in T1, if this is going to be an 'A' race. Get on the bike and try to hold the power goal. I did austin in '16 and the swim was cancelled due to fog. The X factor for me was the heat on the run and the beat up roads. The roads weren't as bad as described...just sayin'. The heat, however, caused a LOT of cramps. Make sure your hydration/nutrition plan is spot on or you will pay for it.

My advice is to ALWAYS start easy on the run. To do well in long course triathlon, you must simply 'not slow down'. We often overestimate what we think we can hold for a pace. But, keeping what you perceive as 'easy pace' in the first few miles late into the race is more than challenging. You are not allowed to 'go for broke' until mile 10 of the HIM run or mile 21/22 of the IM run, IMO.

And please allow for some recovery this week. NO HARD RUNS. One intense bike w/o that is short and swim a lot. Your fitness is there, trust me.

Oh, and good luck!

Edited by dtoce 2017-10-26 4:39 PM
2017-10-26 4:39 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by dtoce

Originally posted by FranzZemen

My advice would be to keep with your plan for race#1. The swim will not change the outcome-try to hit your goal pace, be efficient and don't waste too much time in T1, if this is going to be an 'A' race. Get on the bike and try to hold the power goal. I did austin in '06 and the swim was cancelled due to fog. The X factor for me was the heat on the run and the beat up roads. The roads weren't as bad as described...just sayin'.

ALWAYS start easy on the run. To do well in long course triathlon, you must 'not slow down'. We often overestimate what we think we can hold for a pace. You are not allowed to 'go for broke' until mile 10 of the HIM run or mile 21/22 of the IM run, IMO.

And please allow for some recovery. NO HARD RUNS. One intense bike w/o that is short and swim a lot. Your fitness is there, trust me.

Oh, and good luck!

Thank you! I needed to hear it...especailly to use the same plan as for race #1.
2017-10-26 5:47 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Personally, I wouldn't do ANYTHING hard. Your body is still in recovery mode for at least a week, maybe up to two weeks, after a HIM. (I think the general rule of thumb is at least one day of recovery for each hour of racing. For most non-pros that is at least 5-6 days. Then you add to that if there was additional stress like being underprepared, racing super-hard, dealing with tough conditions like heat and wind, illness, gut or mechanical issues, etc.

I would focus on active recovery--mostly cycling, walking, and swimming; maybe a few short pickups to race pace, like 25's or 50's in the pool or some 30-60 second pickups on the bike. I'd minimize running (which tends to show deep fatigue the most and get back to normal last) and not do any hard running. Also, really make sure your nutrition and hydration is good. Especially true if you may have been under-fueled for the last race due to the gut issues. You probably need to be taking in more calories than normal, making sure you don't go hungry (your body is spending extra calories on recovery), plenty of carbs, protein, and water. Plus try to get some extra sleep each night--that helps speed recovery.

I haven't done two HIM back to back, but have done an Oly a week after HIM. No change in race strategy. I just did what I could in each leg. As others have said, don't start the run too fast, as that is where cumulative fatigue is most likely to come back and bite you. In reality, for that second race, the bike and run went really well. For some reason I had a slow swim--I'm normally a pretty good swimmer, had felt fine on swims that week, and had no idea my time was so slow till I got out of the water. Go figure. Maybe I was so worried about the possible effects of the previous race on bike and run that I wasn't focused on pacing or sighting or something?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for #1 piece of advice doing HIM on consecutive weekends. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Consecutive Weight Days

Started by b2run
Views: 925 Posts: 8

2017-02-23 5:47 AM TriMyBest

Looking for Training advice - basically from scratch

Started by slow triathlete
Views: 1421 Posts: 6

2016-12-28 3:08 PM LanceCarter

Winter Tri advice needed

Started by TTom
Views: 1237 Posts: 7