Louisville, Kentucky
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 12h 06m 23s
Overall Rank = 736/2750
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 14/107
Pre-race routine:

Small coffee & bagel, Skratch while waiting to start, Gu right before jumping in water.
Event warmup:

Nothing
Swim
  • 1h 06m 26s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

Water was pretty choppy. I swam away from buoys, more out towards the middle of river hoping for better current. Don't think was the case, very choppy. But no cramps so a win in my book!
What would you do differently?:

Not sure, felt I should have been faster here but I wasn't overly focused on the swim.
Transition 1
  • 08m 30s
Comments:

Volunteers were on their game! My zipper was down before I even got up all the steps lol. Strippers had wetsuit off fast, no cramping (yeah), and I carefully made my way to my bag and changing tent (toe still bothering me from Wisconsin).

Faster! Stopping to pee on way to bike didn't help but still.
Bike
  • 5h 50m 53s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.15 mile/hr
Comments:

Saw Tom on 2nd loop (he didn't make it out for first loop - I was so disappointed) as well as SFTC crew, TP crew, & Rhonda. Always nice to hear people cheering for you.

We dialed the watts back from what I rode for Wisconsin to see if that would help with my stomach issues. This ride was so much more relaxed, I didn't worry and obsess about watts, just rode my bike!

Wind was bad in several places, but I just stayed in aero and powered through. On the ride back in the storm moved in and it got really bad. Lots of debris in the road, rain, and potholes. Just kept my head down and rode.

Nothing, watts were right where we planned and set me up for a good run.
Transition 2
  • 08m
Comments:

Slow again, took too long to get myself together. I stopped to pee again but it was either in T2 or out on the run somewhere.

Speed it up!
Run
  • 4h 52m 34s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Made it to the run with pretty much a well executed race. Same as Wisconsin (sort of), except there it all fell apart early into the run. My only goal for this race (which I signed up for 10 days out) was to not walk the marathon. I did everything I could going into this race (no brewery tours, more rest) and dialing back the bike, to have a successful run. I wanted/needed to end the season with a final good race.

Happy that this went as well as it did. It was no where near perfect, I struggled out there at times, and the last 6 miles were a balance of convincing my legs that they really could do another 6 miles. But I made it to almost 20 miles before my stomach got upset, and pushed myself through to the finish. Such a dramatic improvement over Wisconsin and more in line with what I know I'm capable of on a good day.

Learned so much between these 2 races back to back. As much as I say I'd like to forget Wisconsin happened, I think it was a great learning experience and reminder of what's important when it comes to racing.

Build more strength & endurance running. Been injured for what seems like 2 years with multiple injuries, so I have not really been able to run much. Otherwise very happy with this run.
Post race
Warm down:

Met Andy and eventually Tom (he was late to the finish from being out on the run course cheering - first IM of mine that he has not been at the end for.), quick shower back at hotel, back to finish for a couple beers and food!

Event comments:

Louisville has the best finish, hands down. I forgot how great it is (did as my first back in 2010), the hands banging on the finish chute, everyone cheering, and those lights....awesome awesome finish!

Fun town, some great places to eat and grab a beer. Overall great venue for a race.

Last updated: 2017-10-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:06:26 | 3800 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 20/107
Overall: 681/2750
Performance: Below average
Suit: Roka Sleeveless
Course: Up river between island and land, then down river out in middle.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:50:53 | 112 miles | 19.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/107
Overall: 441/2750
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out River Rd, couple loops, back in.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 08:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal