General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iron Man as a tribute to a fallen friend Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-10-30 9:26 PM

Subject: Iron Man as a tribute to a fallen friend

First post here. I just found the forum.

A good friend passed away unexpectedly on Saturday. He had a rare case of viral encephalitis (only 4 in 1,000,000 contract this), and fought valiantly for over two weeks. He was in and out of ICU. Had multiple bleeds/strokes, and eventually several coronary events. We said good bye to him on Saturday. He is survived by his wife, and three children (12-16 years old).

Yesterday, I found out that he had registered for the recent Louisville Iron Man, but the event fell in the middle of his illness. I am considering finishing what he started. I might be crazy, but I think it would be a fine tribute to an even finer man. So, a few things about me:

- I am 5'11" 160lbs
- I've never run or cycled in a race of any kind
- I enjoy the gym, but admit that I don't go w/ regularity
- I have osteoarthritis, chondromalacia, and patellar tendonitis in my right knee
- I have DDD at L4-L5 in my lumbar spine

So...am I crazy to even consider this?

I am meeting w/ two friends who are local Iron Man finishers, and who have experienced the training, and what is required to compete at this level. Do any of you have any input for me? What can I expect? What has been your experience?

2017-10-31 8:57 AM
in reply to: meblom

Subject: RE: Iron Man as a tribute to a fallen friend
Hi there,
sorry about the loss of your friend.

If I am correct, the Louisville Ironman is a year away? Oct 14, 2018?

I think there are several questions to bring up. Do you work? Is it FT? In my opinion, you would need to dedicate the entire year to training, which might still make it impossible. You need to build a base first, which would take a year in itself. Do you swim? There are so many questions to answer for yourself before attempting this, I really wouldn't know where to begin. I would see my doctor and discuss it with him/her first also.

I don't mean to sound like I am poo pooing your idea. But you also have to think of yourself and your family if you have one. Perhaps there is another way to honor the memory of your friend?? Most people regard an Ironman as the toughest physical endurance event there is.
2017-10-31 9:15 AM
in reply to: meblom

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

That can be a fine tribute to your friend.  

You can finish IMKY next year.  Have you registered yet?  If it has sold out, you may have to sign up using the community fund option.  

I suggest you find some internal motivation to go along with the tribute to your friend (an external motivator).  

Finishing an IM is all about training.  If you can get to the start line healthy and ready to race, you're 95% likely to finish!  Train smartly, and you're likely to get to the start line.  Find a plan (BT has several) and trust the plan.  Do as much of the plan as you can.  You've already listed some conditions that will make training somewhat difficult and given all of that, you might consider hiring a coach to customize a training plan and a race execution plan.  I had a friend who did IMWI with a foot problem.  He couldn't run, but man could he bike.  He threw down an awesome bike split, put on hiking boots and a Cat-in-the-Hat costume and walked the 26.2 miles and still finished with a respectable time.  That was his plan, and it worked.  

Expect to spend 12-15 hours per week training in the 2-3 months leading up to the race.  (This is why it's important to have some internal motivation...most of us have a hard time carving out that kind of time.)  

2017-10-31 11:32 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Agree with the above posters - it can be a great tribute, but there will be times when you will need to be motivated internally.

The beginner Ironman plan here is excellent (and FREE), so I would have a look at that to see what the 2nd half of the upcoming 12 months will look like.  Those first six months would be "building your base", which in your case would be developing run and bike fitness and skills.  Since you didn't mention your swim background, I'll assume you'll need to develop those skills, too.

As for your injuries, you'll need to address them through some kind of PT/yoga/core/strength/stretch program.  It might not be a bad idea to schedule some time with a physical therapist to help with some of that.  As you improve your fitness you may see improvement, as exercise is very often helpful in dealing with those chronic injuries.  I think I've had all of them at some point. 

Lots of people have done the "couch-to-ironman" thing

2017-10-31 1:19 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

I still feel it is so hard to say-too many questions. I don't know the age of the OP either. Maybe I'm crazy but I can't find anything good about the couch to Ironman theory or training. It's like couch to Mount Everest-without ever climbing a foothill.

OP: talk as you indicated to your Ironman friends. There is a lot of positive reinforcement on this site, which I always appreciate, but you need to look at this honestly, and there is a real chance you could get injured pretty bad trying to pull this off.

My totally free advice-go for it if you think this truly honors your friend. It's a free world. If someone wants to take up hang gliding, I'm all for that too. But I won't be the guy encouraging his first flight to be off the Golden Gate bridge.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iron Man as a tribute to a fallen friend Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gloomy fall/winter season is upon us

Started by Rollergirl
Views: 1298 Posts: 13

2017-10-13 1:32 PM Swimbikeron

Intermediate Full Iron Man Start Date?

Started by Triacy
Views: 749 Posts: 4

2017-09-13 4:28 PM Triacy

Granite Falls

Started by nrpoulin
Views: 556 Posts: 5