General Discussion Triathlon Talk » indoor trainer on carpet?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-11-03 9:42 AM

Subject: indoor trainer on carpet??
Hi all,
I've never owned an indoor trainer. As I consider this option, it occurred to me that with the exception of the kitchen and bathroom, our entire house is carpeted.
Does a trainer work on carpet or should it be on a bare floor?
Thanks for the input!!

2017-11-04 5:45 AM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: indoor trainer on carpet??
It should "work" on a carpet, unless the carpet's so thick it makes the trainer unstable, but it will not be kind to the carpet. Trainers are heavy, and over time it will leave a deep impression in the carpet. Also, there may be the occasional grease (if you need to lube the bike or trainer), possibly powdered rubber from the slow grinding away of your tire, dropped bits of nutrition and drops of hydration, and most definitely a whole lotta sweat flying off you during workouts. You would probably not want these things on your carpet. Some kind of mat (preferably a waterproof one) under the trainer that protects the carpet for about a foot of either side of it should do the trick. I use a big yoga mat; some people use the kind of foam puzzle mat made for kids' play areas. Even a tarp would serve.

Don't underestimate sweat. I am not a big woman, nor am I an awesome cyclist, but I have done 3-4 hour trainer workouts (on an uncarpeted floor) where the was a POOL of sweat big enough to have visible waves with the fan, and well over two feet in diameter. That was indoors, in the AC. (Admittedly, mine isn't that great, but still, we are talking temps in the low to mid 70's at most.) Over time, that would destroy a carpet.
2017-11-05 12:01 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Great feedback!
Thank you so much. I'm going to think this over some more. I'm a HUGE sweater, and at the Wellness center, I can create the same pools as you described. I was just thinking I might get more time in over the winter if I was working on it at home. I for sure would get a big mat-but not sure it would go over that great with the "boss" !
2017-11-05 1:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I put a couple towels down under the trainer.  Pretty simple.  You can change those as often as you want.  Haven't done a mat.  The key will be to get a fan and having it blowing on you to maximize cooling.  Also, I recommend getting a bandana or headband to catch most of the headsweat.  That's my setup, anyhow.

2017-11-05 4:53 PM

User image

I have my trainer on the carpet. I've had no problems.
2017-11-05 6:12 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Extreme Veteran
They made a mistake when they measured our kitchen carpet so I ended up with an extra piece. I was able to put it under my trainer over the carpet. It's pretty stain and moisture resistant. I sweat pretty badly so I have a fan on me and in some instances have a fan at the door of the room to keep the air circulating. I think pretty much any carpet remnant would work.

About once a month or so I just use some febreeze and baking soda. If it's a little tougher I got some Sweat X that seems to neutralize it pretty well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » indoor trainer on carpet?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Indoor bike trainer

Started by Traindad
Views: 1375 Posts: 10

2017-09-14 7:28 AM axteraa

Trainer Road - Recommended Bike Trainer

Started by deliriousxix
Views: 1174 Posts: 6

2017-07-12 11:53 AM nickster

Protecting Tires on Indoor Bike Trainer

Started by TriBike01
Views: 2086 Posts: 10

2017-01-05 8:29 AM dandr614

Indoor Bike Training DVDs

Started by booniebonnie
Views: 867 Posts: 5

2016-12-27 4:49 PM booniebonnie

indoor training classes

Started by noldowney
Views: 805 Posts: 3

2016-11-28 7:57 PM DomerTriGuy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 1, 2016
author : Endorphin Hub
comments : 0
Should you continue to train outdoors during the winter time?