General Discussion Race Reports! » Newport Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Newport Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Newport Beach, California
United States
Newport Beach Triathlon
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 33m 41s
Overall Rank = 25/
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

This race was cancelled in early Oct when I was is good shape, then rescheduled for Nov. 12th. I had to ramp things up again once I found out about the rescheduled date and would have liked one or two more weeks of training esp. in the water. Turns out that almost 3/4th of the originally registered racers did not show which made it a very uncrowded but also very uneven race.
Event warmup:

D and I went down to the Hyatt on Saturday, her birthday, and were right there on the course. She was going to race too but got sick and decided to sherpa for me. Woke up at 5:30 two cups of coffee and some trail mix, took care of business then headed down to the transition area by myself. Set up was a flash, easy and quick though there was one guy stressing in my rack and I suspected that he was going to have a difficult time. More on him later. It was overcast and chilly but no wind. There were a number of kids there helping but no one had any info as to when we would actually start etc. I walked down to the water and there was a half dozen black Roka buoys sitting in the sand. Black--overcast--dark water--black buoys? Yep.
Swim
  • 17m 23s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a self seeded swim so men and women mixed together and went off where they were most comfortable. about 30 swimmers at a time waded down the steep beach into the surprisingly cold water. As I mentioned the buoys were black and in the flat light you could barely see them from the shore! I knew sighting would be tough. Being a marginal swimmer I chose to be at the back but when we were ushered into the water, I ran down ahead of my group and jumped right in. the first 100 yards were tough as i had not warmed up and my goggles were full of water. I could barely make out the buoy and just followed the pink caps ahead of me, which of course was not easy since no one else could see the buoy. I made it fairly straight to the first left cleared the water out of my goggles and said to myself, you trained for this, swim hard. At about the halfway point my training took over and I really got into a good rhythm, I was passing people left and right and for the first time I was also drafting well, though I would then pass the person. Really I couldn't see anything but pink caps in front of me so I'm sure I swam about 100 extra yards but did make the sharp turn around the down-leg buoy and was on my way back to the beach. One more left then a quick right and I was passing blue caps from the mega-sprint who started 5 minutes in front of me then up the sand. D had my flip flops and I ran the long run to transition in them, saving my feet. Easily my best swim in years. Never touched another swimmer too!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 04m 7s
Comments:

It was a long run to the trans area so that took about a minute or more. then I got my foot stuck in the wetsuit and had trouble with my socks. The stressout guy I mentioned earlier was there siting on the ground trying to get out of his wetsuit when I got to the rack and when I left. felt bad.

not much maybe get a new wetsuit that hasn't shrunk.
Bike
  • 47m 41s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.87 mile/hr
Comments:

I hoped to get under 45 here as my bike training was strong but this was a technical course with a lot of ups and down and I really didn't know how my legs would feel if I pushed it. I chose my road bike instead of the time trial bike b/c I worried that wet pavement would be too dangerous for aero. turns out I was wrong there. Plus I did not scout the course and wasn't ready for the steep hills. In just my tri suit when I hoped on it was freezing! I passed a bunch of folks right off the bat then started to catch up to riders at my pace. The first time on the big hill my gears were slipping (memo to self, get the darn thing tuned up!) so I stayed in my big ring, not wanting to drop my chain and inched up the hill. The course took us off the bike path and onto Eastbluff more uphill then a really nice downhill, turning at Jamboree then back to the mountain to the sea trail. After I finished the first loop in 23 I thought I could do the second in 22 but that damn hill slowed me down to a crawl and I couldn't get into the cadence i wanted to on the fat part of the course b/c there were too many riders to pass and now runners on the waterside of the road. No one did pass me and I passed at least 20 riders, which felt good.

Ride a tuned bike, know the course, push harder at the start, trust my training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

decent T2 I can get this down to close to a minute in the future.

nothing
Run
  • 22m 47s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt fine, thanks to the brick work and my good runs. I took it out rather modestly not knowing what I would feel like. After the first lap I saw 10 runners in front of me that I wanted to pass so I hunted them down. about 75 meters from the finish there was no one behind or in front of me but I sprinted in. I could have run harder the whole way and taken a minute or so off my time, but was really too tentative the first loop. Felt very good to finish and I smiled.

Run harder to start, know my pace better, speed up and settled into a race pace rhythm.
Post race
Warm down:

Found D got a banana, then another one. Buzzed a little from my finish esp. after I saw that I was first gathered my stuff and took it back to the room then came back for the medals. Won a gift card with Tri Labs and a coupon for a good Mexican restaurant, my first prizes ever!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Black buoys on a cloudy dark day in the water.

Event comments:

The course is a great location, but the organization sucked. There were very few knowledgeable people on the course saying turn here, first loop, etc. There were almost no signs at all on the course either and of course the buoys were black and invisible during the swim. The CD was a jerk and D said that he yelled at many racers who just didn't know what they were supposed to do. Lots of volunteers just standing around instead of giving directions. On the flip side winning my AG was excellent and it gave me the confidence to take it to the next level in 2018 where I will tackle a half IM and more Oly courses. Plus, my knee never hurt and my swim was actually kind of fun. SO . . . good race for me overall, plus D was there and I met a couple of really cool AG racers.

Last updated: 2017-11-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:23 | 880 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy
Course: 3/4th of a rectangle in the back bay in still ocean water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:41 | 15 miles | 18.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Wind: None
Course: 2 lap mostly on the bikepath followed by partial residential ride in the shape of a T.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:47 | 03 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Course: 2 loops back along the bikepath.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2017-11-13 7:11 PM

User image

Subject: Newport Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Newport Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

YMCA Wrightsville Beach Sprint Triathlon

Started by jmkizer
Views: 1232 Posts: 2

2017-09-29 12:34 PM melbo55

South Beach Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by crowny2
Views: 792 Posts: 1

2017-08-27 6:38 PM crowny2

Goleta Beach Triathlon - Long Course

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1095 Posts: 1