Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2017-12-04 2:13 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: btw Rog, I am so sorry

Originally posted by Oysterboy Saw Paul Finebaum (big college football expert) on TV this AM. Claims Ohio State didn't get nod because they lost to unranked Iowa 55-24 a month or so ago while Alabama only lost to Auburn (who had beaten Georgia) in Auburn by a notably smaller margin (26-14). I agree with you 100% Tony this is a better system, but I think that maybe adding another weekend of games and going to 8 teams might be the most equitable. Problem is there is a LOT of $ in bowl games and too many mouths to feed to abandon that tier of games.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but wouldn't the $ be better because the 4 additional first round bowl games would be meaningful and make big $.  People would actually go to them and watch them on TV. 

2017-12-04 2:15 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Oysterboy

I think we need to remember this is far from a gimme to Alabama. Under Saban they lost in the first round of the playoffs in 2014, lost to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl on 2013, and lost to Clemson last year. Sure, I think you gotta give the edge to Saban, but this ain't no chip shot.

Just to be clear, they did lose two playoff games but they won three.....with one of those three wins being the National Championship.

Only teams I watch religiously (meaning I will set the DVR if I can't watch it live) are Alabama, Auburn and LSU (and Louisiana Tech my alma mater if they happen to be on TC) so I really can't say who should or should not be in the final 4.

RTR
2017-12-04 2:24 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Moral of the story for Ohio State - don't get beat by 31 by Iowa.  

My Nittany Lions were more deserving than OSU, even with a one point loss there.  Four effing points from being undefeated, including a game with a four-hour thunderstorm delay.  <facepalm>.  Waste of a big opportunity with Barkley and Co.

2017-12-04 2:24 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Oysterboy Saw Paul Finebaum (big college football expert) on TV this AM. Claims Ohio State didn't get nod because they lost to unranked Iowa 55-24 a month or so ago while Alabama only lost to Auburn (who had beaten Georgia) in Auburn by a notably smaller margin (26-14). I agree with you 100% Tony this is a better system, but I think that maybe adding another weekend of games and going to 8 teams might be the most equitable. Problem is there is a LOT of $ in bowl games and too many mouths to feed to abandon that tier of games.

They'll never be able to limit it to 8, 32, 64, 65, err...68 teams.  So do they call it December Madness or January Madness??

2017-12-04 4:41 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by McFuzz

They'll never be able to limit it to 8, 32, 64, 65, err...68 teams.  So do they call it December Madness or January Madness??

It seems pointless to have conference champions if you're not going to pit them together and see who comes out on top. Six automatic playoff bids, one to each of the power five conference champions and a sixth to whichever mid-major champion finishes highest in the rankings. Then either give the top two seeds a first round bye, or add in two wild card teams to fill out an 8 team bracket. 

And tell Notre Dame they're not eligible for a playoff spot unless they join a conference.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » btw Rog, I am so sorry Rss Feed  

of 2