Other Resources The Political Joe » btw Rog, I am so sorry Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2017-11-28 4:12 PM

Master
, California
Subject: btw Rog, I am so sorry

... about the Tide

not sarcastic at all.  Hope the committee doesn't screw them.

(ok maybe this isn't political but for SEC states it is probably MORE important than politics)

2017-11-28 7:47 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: btw Rog, I am so sorry
Originally posted by spudone

... about the Tide

(ok maybe this isn't political but for SEC states it is probably MORE important than politics)

Laundry soap?
2017-11-29 7:38 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

... about the Tide

Yeah, that was a real disappointment.....not so much that they lost because Auburn has a good team, but they paid so poorly. This was the worst I've seen them play all season and needed to be the best they could play.

Well, at least Auburn is another SEC team and an Alabama team as well. Be interesting to see what the committee does. No way are they going to put two SEC teams in the playoffs....and rightly so.
2017-11-29 7:42 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mdg2003

... about the Tide

Laundry soap?

The Crimson tide. Dates back to like the 1920s when Alabama destroyed some team and a reporter wrote that "Alabama rolled over them like a crimson tide". It stuck and ever since they have been known as the Crimson Tide! Roll Tide Roll!
2017-11-29 9:10 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Rogillio

... about the Tide

Laundry soap?

The Crimson tide. Dates back to like the 1920s when Alabama destroyed some team and a reporter wrote that "Alabama rolled over them like a crimson tide". It stuck and ever since they have been known as the Crimson Tide! Roll Tide Roll!

I shoulda used the sarc font.
2017-12-01 8:50 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

... about the Tide

Laundry soap?

I didn't know that history.  Good to know.
We finally have something to be excited about in Husker Nation.  Scott Frost has a lot of potential.

2017-12-02 11:55 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by tuwood

... about the Tide

Laundry soap?

We finally have something to be excited about in Husker Nation.  Scott Frost has a lot of potential.

Heard they lost their drummer in September. Grant Hart was a great percushionist. Is this Frost guy the replacement?
2017-12-02 1:45 PM

User image

Pro

... about the Tide

Laundry soap?

Heard they lost their drummer in September. Grant Hart was a great percushionist. Is this Frost guy the replacement?

2017-12-02 6:26 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

... about the Tide

Laundry soap?

haha, I'm not sure how good he is at drumming.

2017-12-04 7:08 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
So all's well that ends well and back to our brandies.

Alabama rarely has revenge games because they rarely lose but they have one in Clemson as they lost to them last year in the playoffs....so Katie bar the door, gonna be a good game!

My son is going to the game, the Sugar Bowl in NOLA. He is a 2nd year law student at Bama and has a chance of getting a free ticket, if not he will have to pay $175 which is still a good deal. 14% of student tickets go to grad students but there are 5,000 grad students and only 147 grad school tickets.

Strangely enough, I saw on the news this morning they are showing Alabama as having a 35% of winning the championship.....the highest of the 4 teams which is odd since they barely got in. Also heard the are 1 pt fav over Clemson in Vegas. Go figure. How the heck is the number 1 team favored over the number 4 team? Must be a Nick Saban thing.....

RTR!
2017-12-04 7:31 AM

User image

Pro

All I know is that the Big 10 is OUT and there is a chance for an all SEC final.  That's good enough for me.

2017-12-04 8:18 AM
in reply to: #5231589

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Rog, my wife went to law school @ Bama. Have you been to the original Dreamland?
#4 favored over #1 because there is no clear #1 and Bama will have time to heal before Jan 1
2017-12-04 8:38 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Rog, my wife went to law school @ Bama. Have you been to the original Dreamland?
#4 favored over #1 because there is no clear #1 and Bama will have time to heal before Jan 1

That's a good point. They lost to Auburn with 3 or 4 of their defenders out with injuries.

What is the original Dreamland?
2017-12-04 8:52 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy Rog, my wife went to law school @ Bama. Have you been to the original Dreamland? #4 favored over #1 because there is no clear #1 and Bama will have time to heal before Jan 1
That's a good point. They lost to Auburn with 3 or 4 of their defenders out with injuries. What is the original Dreamland?

I certainly have nothing against Bama, and there's no question they have a great team, but I just don't like the idea of cutting out two Big 5 conference champs and putting in two teams from one conference.  It just bugs me.

I also didn't like how OSU got in last year after losing the conference championship.  It made no sense to me.

The good news is that it's a 4 team bracket now, so if Alabama is the best team in the country then they have to beat the two best teams to claim it.

2017-12-04 8:58 AM
in reply to: #5231901

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Dreamland is a BBQ place that Bear Bryant famously took team to. The original one is on outskirts of Tuscaloosa, but now they have franchises (Bham, Mobile, Tallahassee)
2017-12-04 9:24 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
Alabama

Dreamland is a BBQ place that Bear Bryant famously took team to. The original one is on outskirts of Tuscaloosa, but now they have franchises (Bham, Mobile, Tallahassee)

Oh yeah, I've heard of it. Never been there. Seems like everywhere you go there is a place that stakes the claim of the 'the best BBQ in the country". I ate at 2 such places in KS recently.

2017-12-04 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Oysterboy Rog, my wife went to law school @ Bama. Have you been to the original Dreamland? #4 favored over #1 because there is no clear #1 and Bama will have time to heal before Jan 1
That's a good point. They lost to Auburn with 3 or 4 of their defenders out with injuries. What is the original Dreamland?

I certainly have nothing against Bama, and there's no question they have a great team, but I just don't like the idea of cutting out two Big 5 conference champs and putting in two teams from one conference.  It just bugs me.

I also didn't like how OSU got in last year after losing the conference championship.  It made no sense to me.

The good news is that it's a 4 team bracket now, so if Alabama is the best team in the country then they have to beat the two best teams to claim it.

In truth, don't follow football close enough to say who are the best 4 teams in the country. It is a very subjective thing as proved by the 'upsets' every week where the supposed highly ranked team is beaten by a big underdog. I have no idea what the commission considers in making their decisions. I watched Bama take a knee on first and goal with 2 minutes left on the clock in two separate games this year as they were up by huge margins. So if 'margins of victory' is a factor, they did themselves a disservice. Do they look at injuries and depth? In over half the games Bama played they had the second and third teams in for the fourth quarter.

Be a lot more fun to have 8 teams in the playoffs but I heard that would diminish the bowl games that is a big revenue source for the conferences.

2017-12-04 9:44 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

In truth, don't follow football close enough to say who are the best 4 teams in the country. It is a very subjective thing as proved by the 'upsets' every week where the supposed highly ranked team is beaten by a big underdog. I have no idea what the commission considers in making their decisions. I watched Bama take a knee on first and goal with 2 minutes left on the clock in two separate games this year as they were up by huge margins. So if 'margins of victory' is a factor, they did themselves a disservice. Do they look at injuries and depth? In over half the games Bama played they had the second and third teams in for the fourth quarter. Be a lot more fun to have 8 teams in the playoffs but I heard that would diminish the bowl games that is a big revenue source for the conferences.

Agree, it's very subjective.  I also feel that you could take the same 4 teams in the playoff and have them all play each other 4 times and you'd get 4 different outcomes.  Often times a game comes down to luck and things to break your way more than not.
Either way, I'm still much happier with what we have now versus the old BCS system.

2017-12-04 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Saw Paul Finebaum (big college football expert) on TV this AM. Claims Ohio State didn't get nod because they lost to unranked Iowa 55-24 a month or so ago while Alabama only lost to Auburn (who had beaten Georgia) in Auburn by a notably smaller margin (26-14). I agree with you 100% Tony this is a better system, but I think that maybe adding another weekend of games and going to 8 teams might be the most equitable. Problem is there is a LOT of $ in bowl games and too many mouths to feed to abandon that tier of games.
2017-12-04 12:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Alabama

Saw Paul Finebaum (big college football expert) on TV this AM. Claims Ohio State didn't get nod because they lost to unranked Iowa 55-24 a month or so ago while Alabama only lost to Auburn (who had beaten Georgia) in Auburn by a notably smaller margin (26-14). I agree with you 100% Tony this is a better system, but I think that maybe adding another weekend of games and going to 8 teams might be the most equitable. Problem is there is a LOT of $ in bowl games and too many mouths to feed to abandon that tier of games.

I've been thinking about this. Why does it have to hurt the bowl games? They might have to change dates if they wanted 2 of the final 8 to play....or, just because a team is knocked out of the playoffs does not mean they can't/won't play in a bowl game too. I figure if my teal lost in the playoffs I'd welcome the opportunity for them to partially redeem themselves in a bowl game on Christmas Day or New Years.

I think 8 teams would be cool but as has been stated, on any given day, any teams could upset another team. But I guess such is the nature of single-elimination competition. Ok, so maybe we go with Sweet 16, double elimination! ;-)

ETA. This on the main tri board the topic of the significance of 'winning' a triathlon has been discussed. Did the AGer really 'win'? Or did he just beat a narrow slice of competitors his gender and age? Does it mean the AG winner is the best within that group? No, it means you beat the guys that showed up that day...the guys who did not have flat tires or other 'issues'. It was fun razzing the super competitive crowd. I used to say I was the better endurance athlete because my IM took 14.5 hrs but the winner only had to endure 9 hrs. 9 hours? Hell, anyone can do that. Try staying out there for 14.5 hrs!! Any try doing it 25 lbs overweight!

I guess the point, if there is one, is that no matter what you do, some people will take exception to it.

Edited by Rogillio 2017-12-04 1:01 PM
2017-12-04 12:59 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Oysterboy Saw Paul Finebaum (big college football expert) on TV this AM. Claims Ohio State didn't get nod because they lost to unranked Iowa 55-24 a month or so ago while Alabama only lost to Auburn (who had beaten Georgia) in Auburn by a notably smaller margin (26-14). I agree with you 100% Tony this is a better system, but I think that maybe adding another weekend of games and going to 8 teams might be the most equitable. Problem is there is a LOT of $ in bowl games and too many mouths to feed to abandon that tier of games.

Pizz on Ohio State and the entire Big 10 whining community.

That is all.

And to hell with their coach too.......along with both of the other people on the planet named Urban.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-12-04 1:01 PM

2017-12-04 1:03 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Oysterboy Saw Paul Finebaum (big college football expert) on TV this AM. Claims Ohio State didn't get nod because they lost to unranked Iowa 55-24 a month or so ago while Alabama only lost to Auburn (who had beaten Georgia) in Auburn by a notably smaller margin (26-14). I agree with you 100% Tony this is a better system, but I think that maybe adding another weekend of games and going to 8 teams might be the most equitable. Problem is there is a LOT of $ in bowl games and too many mouths to feed to abandon that tier of games.

Pizz on Ohio State and the entire Big 10 whining community.

That is all.

And to hell with their coach too.......along with both of the other people on the planet named Urban.

If Urban has a son, would he name him Suburban?
2017-12-04 1:41 PM

Master
, California

Alabama was sort of just along for the ride on the playoff selection.  This result was because of the way the other games went (Georgia stayed at 12-1, and Wisconsin lost) -- basically the best scenario for Alabama.  I would've selected Alabama too, after that.

2017-12-04 1:57 PM

User image

Pro

Alabama was sort of just along for the ride on the playoff selection.  This result was because of the way the other games went (Georgia stayed at 12-1, and Wisconsin lost) -- basically the best scenario for Alabama.  I would've selected Alabama too, after that.

I don't think that was totally the case.  Sure, they didn't have to play their way in, but at #5, if any to 4 team lost, they were in.  The fact that 2 teams lost made it simple. 

Ohwhiner State was never going to make it in as an 8 beating a 4.......was never gonna happen.  It was over for Ohwhiner State when they got shellacked by Iowa State.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-12-04 2:04 PM
2017-12-04 1:59 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I think we need to remember this is far from a gimme to Alabama. Under Saban they lost in the first round of the playoffs in 2014, lost to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl on 2013, and lost to Clemson last year. Sure, I think you gotta give the edge to Saban, but this ain't no chip shot.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » btw Rog, I am so sorry Rss Feed  

of 2