General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aquabike pricing similar to triathlon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-11-29 7:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: Aquabike pricing similar to triathlon?

I did a search on this general subject so apologies if this has been batted around before.

I'm wondering why aquabike pricing is so close to triathlon pricing in most events?  For example we have a local iron distance event that charges $385 for the full triathlon and $300 for the aquabike.  Non IM branded event obviously as those prices are a fraction of what IM brand charges.  

Other races I've done are similarly close in price yet in my mind the aquabike is almost an add-on as the swim and bike courses are already in place because of the triathlon, there's nothing additional regarding planning that's needed beyond the timing classification etc.

For the full iron distance, on the bike course I have the opportunity to hit an aid station four times (2-lap course, 2 stations per lap) yet I won't hit any of the 15+ aid stations on the run which I would think factors in somewhat to the race fee?  Even with donated services and products I think the logistics of all the aid stations is a contributing factor??

I'm very happy aquabike is an option more and more as I have no choice regarding not being able to run, however it seems a little like price gouging... I've had people say if aquabike were significantly less expensive than the triathlon then people would stop doing the triathlon and just do aquabike however I just don't see that happening.

Thoughts?

2017-11-29 3:41 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Aquabike pricing similar to triathlon?

I'm not a race director, but I think the swim and bike legs are the pricey parts of running a triathlon. 

I can do a 10K run race around here for like $20-50...Oly tris are more like $120-150.

2017-11-29 4:28 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not an RD either but helped put on races in the past. My guess is the costs for insurance and, for the bike, traffic control. Those are (I think) the riskier parts of the race from an accident/illness perspective. Plus most of the traffic control expense would be for the bike course. Running is comparatively cheaper because it's (I think) a lot cheaper to insure, and there are usually fewer miles of road that need to be closed or controlled. So you are taking the whole tri and then just subtracting the cost of the least expensive part, in a sense.
2017-11-29 6:55 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Hot Runner Not an RD either but helped put on races in the past. My guess is the costs for insurance and, for the bike, traffic control. Those are (I think) the riskier parts of the race from an accident/illness perspective. Plus most of the traffic control expense would be for the bike course. Running is comparatively cheaper because it's (I think) a lot cheaper to insure, and there are usually fewer miles of road that need to be closed or controlled. So you are taking the whole tri and then just subtracting the cost of the least expensive part, in a sense.

Thanks for the perspective, I just needed a way to convince myself I wasn't being robbed when I wrote my check...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aquabike pricing similar to triathlon? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hot Shot or similar anti-cramping products--thoughts?

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 992 Posts: 5

2017-07-15 7:56 PM Hot Runner

Bike advice. Making sure the price is right?

Started by drew_ab
Views: 430 Posts: 3

2017-04-26 12:22 PM drew_ab

Plus size beginner looking for great quality / great price

Started by Infinikate
Views: 1269 Posts: 4

2017-03-26 9:20 PM emmy0417

Last Year for Rodney Miller Triathlon in Decatur

Started by abake
Views: 1434 Posts: 6

2017-04-07 4:34 PM gary p

Garmin 920xt for Triathlon with Pool Swim