Other Resources 2018 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 3

2018-03-25 7:27 PM
in reply to: #5240012

Subject: RE: My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN
Checking in for another week. Had a great week of training this past week, hit all of my planned workouts and had a proper rest day. I did a brick workout Sunday which I used to try out my tri suit for the first time. Quite comfortable for the run and ride. I need to make an effort to test it in the water.

Today is the first day of my last week of build period. Looking forward to heading up to the lake on Wednesday and previewing the course and getting some specific training done including my first open water swim.

My plan after this week is to maintain the same intensity but decrease volume by 30% each week for two weeks. The week after that will be race week and according to my trainingpeaks graph I should be right where I want to be for form come race day.

2018-03-26 8:10 AM
in reply to: B.K

User image

New user
Wheat Ridge
Sounds like a great plan. How do you feel about your nutrition?
2018-03-26 5:43 PM
in reply to: #5240349

I have been practicing my nutrition the last few weeks. I have found gels to be a pain on the bike, too much fiddling around. I have found the Clif Bloks easier for the bike and store them in a soft bento box for easy access. The recommendation is one serving per 30 min. One serve is 24g carbs and 50mg sodium.

For the run I was planning to have one or two gels. I don't have a race belt so was just planning to tuck the gel packets into the leg of my suit.
2018-03-26 9:00 PM

User image

New user
Wheat Ridge
I agree, gels on the bike are a pain! Cliff Bloks work well. I like Bonk Breaker Bars or mint Cliff bars, they are nutrient dense (about 250 - 350 cal per bar) don't tend to be as sweet at the bloks and have caffeine.

If you don't have a race belt, are you pinning your bib number? A simple race belt saves a lot of time and gives you a place for your gels.

Originally posted by B.K

I have been practicing my nutrition the last few weeks. I have found gels to be a pain on the bike, too much fiddling around. I have found the Clif Bloks easier for the bike and store them in a soft bento box for easy access. The recommendation is one serving per 30 min. One serve is 24g carbs and 50mg sodium.

For the run I was planning to have one or two gels. I don't have a race belt so was just planning to tuck the gel packets into the leg of my suit.
2018-03-27 7:26 AM
in reply to: #5240441

No number bib for this race, just ankle tag and numbers on calf and arm. Should I look into a belt?
2018-03-27 8:36 AM

User image

New user
Wheat Ridge
Interesting. I've never done a race without a bib. A race belt is a cheap and easy investment if you plan on doing other races in the future

Originally posted by B.K

No number bib for this race, just ankle tag and numbers on calf and arm. Should I look into a belt?

2018-04-01 6:48 AM
in reply to: #5240461

Happy Easter. I finished my build period today with a brick workout. It has been a big week both in terms of training and holiday. Looking forward to winding things down a bit over the next couple of weeks and getting a bit more rest.
2018-04-01 7:42 AM

User image

New user
Wheat Ridge
Enjoy!!

Originally posted by B.K

Happy Easter. I finished my build period today with a brick workout. It has been a big week both in terms of training and holiday. Looking forward to winding things down a bit over the next couple of weeks and getting a bit more rest.
2018-04-07 4:26 PM
in reply to: #5240746

Feeling good after my first week of taper.

I hit all of my workouts as planned and starting to feel like I know what I am doing with my run pacing. Until now I have been pacing my run on my HR which has resulted in paces all over the place. My HR seems to creep while running so my pace would slow and slow throughout the run.

I have now set my paces using the Joel Friel method and find it much easier to be consistent. My HR does tend to sit higher than my cycling HR for a similat perceived effort but I can maintain the pace just fine.

How is your ankle healing Sarah?
2018-04-08 9:52 AM

User image

New user
Wheat Ridge
Congrats on a good week! HR training does take awhile. I had to run/walk my zone 1 for probably a year. Now I can comfortably jog zone 1-2 and zone 3 is a solid race pace for me. Your HR zones for the run and the bike should be different and require lactic threshold tests for both. For example my zone 3 HR on the run is 155 - 161 and 124 - 141 on the bike. I've never tried the Joel Friel method but I know of quite a few athletes that train that way very successfully. So much of triathlon is just finding what works for you.

My ankle is doing great! As long as I don't run on it. Surgery is scheduled for Weds. A major stabilizing ligament is sprained and partially detached which has allowed excessive movement in the Tibiotalar joint leading to the formation of bone spurs. Doc will remove bone spurs and repair the ligament. Putting me in a walking boot for 6 weeks. If all goes as planned, I should be 100% in 12 weeks.

Originally posted by B.K

Feeling good after my first week of taper.

I hit all of my workouts as planned and starting to feel like I know what I am doing with my run pacing. Until now I have been pacing my run on my HR which has resulted in paces all over the place. My HR seems to creep while running so my pace would slow and slow throughout the run.

I have now set my paces using the Joel Friel method and find it much easier to be consistent. My HR does tend to sit higher than my cycling HR for a similat perceived effort but I can maintain the pace just fine.

How is your ankle healing Sarah?
2018-04-15 9:42 PM
in reply to: #5241180

I came down quite sick in the second half of the week just gone which derailed my taper a bit. It is Monday here now and although I am feeling better I had a preplanned rest day which I am taking advantage of to get back to full health.

My plan for the rest of the week is in line with Joe Friel's race week plan so short, high intensity interval training with decreasing reps as the week goes on. Another rest day on Friday which will be my travel day.

Sunday is raceday and the weather is forecast to be fine with a maximum of 25C.

2018-04-16 2:39 PM

User image

New user
Wheat Ridge
Sounds like a good plan

Originally posted by B.K

I came down quite sick in the second half of the week just gone which derailed my taper a bit. It is Monday here now and although I am feeling better I had a preplanned rest day which I am taking advantage of to get back to full health.

My plan for the rest of the week is in line with Joe Friel's race week plan so short, high intensity interval training with decreasing reps as the week goes on. Another rest day on Friday which will be my travel day.

Sunday is raceday and the weather is forecast to be fine with a maximum of 25C.
New Thread
Other Resources 2018 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 3

RELATED POSTS

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 40 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa

Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Baowolf
Views: 1771 Posts: 54

2018-04-17 5:58 AM cconst