BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2018-04-15 5:20 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: First Race- South Shore Half Marathon
Originally posted by Rollergirl

I did a sprint duathlon today (with shorter runs and longer bike) instead of the long ride I had planned.

Hope everybody had a good weekend!

Good on you Natalie for finishing the Du. Those are surprisingly difficult races with that second run off the bike.

I saw a shirt a couple years ago that on the front side said something like, "I hate Duathlon". On the back of the shirt it said "I'd rather drown once than run twice." Pretty much sums it up!

Best,

Steve

2018-04-16 9:16 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

, Kronobergs lan
It was just training, with a lot less running than the actual sprint I have signed up for (and a slightly longer bike). all at a comfortable pace.
2018-04-16 3:33 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: April Weekend coming...anyone riding outside yet?

Originally posted by lutzman

So we're coming up on a weekend. Hopefully it's starting to warm up for you. We're finally supposed to get over 60 this weekend...but with rain. That's likely to kill any outdoor riding for me. More fun on the indoor trainer I guess.

Anybody riding outside yet?

Steve

I've gotten a couple outdoor rides in but apparently Mother Nature didn't get the memo announcing Spring is here as it's snowing today - AGAIN.

2018-04-16 3:47 PM
in reply to: Turner100

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Turner100 H

Held 8:55 to 9:00 min pace for the first 10 miles, started out feeling good but the last 2 miles weren’t fun. Finished in just over 2 Hours.

Congrats on your finish Rob!  Good job.

2018-04-17 4:00 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Boston Maraton

Did anyone else watch the Boston Marathon?

Desi Linden became the first American women in 33-years to win the race.  She survived what was perhaps the most brutal conditions I've ever seen for a major marathon - 35-40 degrees, HARD rain most of the race, wind upwards of 15-25 mph.  Sarah Silvers, yes another American, was second - a bit over 4:00 behind Linden.

On the men's side, Yuki Kawauchi won by over 2:30.  Yuki said after the race, "For me, today was the best conditions possible."  That really highlights how important the mental side of sport is.  Everyone there had to battle through the same conditions - yet big name after big name dropped out behind the leaders.

While the times were slow and there really wasn't a race at the end, overall this was one of the most entertaining races I recall seeing in a long time.  The coach side of me loves seeing people dig deep and overcome adversity.  This race was adversity squared.

2018-04-17 8:16 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Boston Maraton
Originally posted by k9car363

Did anyone else watch the Boston Marathon?

Desi Linden became the first American women in 33-years to win the race.  This race was adversity squared.

Sadly, I missed it. No TV's at work. When I worked from home I had the race on every year.

Boston is challenging enough without nasty weather. When I ran it in 2007 there was a Noreaster that came in the day before. It dumped rain the day prior but most of the rain was gone by the race time. But the wind was relentless. Boston is a rare point-to-point race, so if the wind is coming from the east it's in your face the entire time. Throw in some consistent hills on the back end and it can make for a long day.

2018-04-17 10:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Boston Maraton

Sorry I missed the Marathon.  Sounds like it would have been a good one to watch.

Rob - Congrats on your race.  Sounded like a job well done to me.

2018-04-19 6:44 PM
in reply to: #5231907

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN
I had a friend from college run the Boston marathon on Monday. Her and her little sister were training for the same one my brother was teaining for. The both finished in under 4 hrs which was respectable. Last summer she was posting some of her run workouts and I noticed the looked a lot like mine. I asked is she was doing the FIRST plan and she said she was. She did a 3:15 marathon. I figured she had run about 20 marathons by now but found out last week Boston was only her 3rd. She has done a half every year she hasn’t been pregnant but like me not many fills. I tracked her progress but didn’t get the crazy leader’s results until my wife read an article to me yesterday. My brother asked me today if I wanted to do the 2020 Boston marathon if he can qualify after the Yeti 100 this year. There are some big ifs there. :-). I have to focus on a top 10 age group finish at the Boulder 70.3 right now. I was fun following Boston this year.
2018-04-20 9:13 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Regular
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

My brother asked me today if I wanted to do the 2020 Boston marathon if he can qualify after the Yeti 100 this year. There are some big ifs there. :-). I have to focus on a top 10 age group finish at the Boulder 70.3 right now. I was fun following Boston this year.

Curtis--if you can siphon off the training time to qualify for Boston, it is a great experience, one that you'll remember the rest of your life. You nailed the obvious challenge...carving out the time to train and qualify which puts pressure on the triathlon focus. Registration usually opens in September, so you would have most of 2019 to hit the qualifying marathon time. Based on what I've read, runners now need to be at least 10 minutes faster than the posted qualifying time to have a decent shot at getting in.

Hope the training for your 70.3 is going well.

Steve
2018-04-21 10:22 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: It's Saturday
Anyone have big plans? We're finally in for a 65 degree day so it appears winter has been defeated.

I'm taking it a bit easy following a stupid injury to my hip during a....wait for it......yoga class. I was doing a hip stretch and felt a big pop-pop-pop in my hip flexor followed by a stab of pain. So, I've been limping along all week but fortunately feeling better by the day.

So, I'll go the pool today and take dogs for a walk. Life is good, even with a limp.

Have a great weekend!

Steve
2018-04-21 10:46 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yoga, dangerous stuff.. lol
Glad it seems to get better quickly.
Brick on the menu this morning, then TV couch, watching ice hockey (swedish league).

Have a nice weekend all!

2018-04-21 8:24 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I'm taking it a bit easy following a stupid injury to my hip during a....wait for it......yoga class. I was doing a hip stretch and felt a big pop-pop-pop in my hip flexor followed by a stab of pain. So, I've been limping along all week but fortunately feeling better by the day.

Steve

Steve,

Maybe you should take up Rugby for cross-training.  Might be safer!  

2018-04-22 12:16 PM

User image

Regular

Steve

Steve,

Yeah, it's hard to not laugh at the irony. I take up YOGA to improve my flexibility with the goal of reducing injuries...and I promptly get injured in the YOGA class in a muscle group where I've never before experienced an injury. Go figure.

It's just another pit stop on the Gray Guy journey I guess!
2018-04-23 10:31 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member

Steve

Steve,

Yeah, it's hard to not laugh at the irony. I take up YOGA to improve my flexibility with the goal of reducing injuries...and I promptly get injured in the YOGA class in a muscle group where I've never before experienced an injury. Go figure.

Hi Steve, I've been taking yoga classes for many years. Learning not to push too hard was one of the tougher things for me to learn. It isn't a competition, even with yourself. Try to feel a stretch but don't push it too hard or you can easily find those pop-pop sounds. I even switched early on to slower paced Hatha style classes as some of the more aerobic styles were too draining when I was doing hard tri training. Don't kid yourself, yoga can be a serious workout!

I've dropped the classes over the past year but still do a warm up and some stretching every morning. Good luck with your hip!
2018-04-23 8:29 PM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Micawber

I'm taking it a bit easy following a stupid injury to my hip during a....wait for it......yoga class. 

Hi Steve, I've been taking yoga classes for many years. Learning not to push too hard was one of the tougher things for me to learn. It isn't a competition, even with yourself.

I've dropped the classes over the past year but still do a warm up and some stretching every morning. Good luck with your hip!

Thanks Dwayne. Good advice about not pushing too hard. I do kind of have that problem with all of my training...and as a result I usually do a pretty good job of beating myself down!
2018-04-23 9:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by BlueBoy26 My brother asked me today if I wanted to do the 2020 Boston marathon if he can qualify after the Yeti 100 this year. There are some big ifs there. :-). I have to focus on a top 10 age group finish at the Boulder 70.3 right now. I was fun following Boston this year.
Curtis--if you can siphon off the training time to qualify for Boston, it is a great experience, one that you'll remember the rest of your life. You nailed the obvious challenge...carving out the time to train and qualify which puts pressure on the triathlon focus. Registration usually opens in September, so you would have most of 2019 to hit the qualifying marathon time. Based on what I've read, runners now need to be at least 10 minutes faster than the posted qualifying time to have a decent shot at getting in. Hope the training for your 70.3 is going well. Steve

Sorry for all the typos in the original post. I was on the iphone which I am not very good at operating.  I couldn't even find the edit option after I posted it.  :-

My brother has a 3:10 Qualifying time and I have a 3:15 qualifying time since I am a full 18 months older.  The last Marathon I did was a 3:14, but that was 8 years ago.  I crashed and burned pretty bad in that race (as did I in my first Marathon).  I came across the half marathon mark right at the pace I needed to break 3 hours.  I was feeling really good and got excited and sped things up a bit.  Things were going fine until I got to the 20 mile aid station.  One of my college roommates was working that aid station and he decided to run with me for about a mile.  I was in my groove and on pace and my friend threw me off.  After he dropped back I think I made it about half a mile before I realized that he had speed me up and that my legs were at their limits.  Every muscle felt shredded.  Each stride was painful.  It was like trying to run on a sprained ankle only the pain was shooting through my quads instead of the ankle.  I got to the point where I had to start to the run-walk.  It was something like 10 minutes of walking to 2 minutes of running.  It is pretty bad when you only have a few miles to go and you only have to maintain 2 minutes a mile slower than your race up to that point to BQ and you know there is not way in the world that you are going to be able to make it. 

My brother is the ultra marathoner.  I am the guy that runs sub 18 minute 5K's.  I can do a mean half marathon but have never held it together for the full. 

I have figured out a lot of things about refueling, etc. over the past 3-1/2 years doing triathlons though.  I might be able to hold a marathon together now.  I still might have a sub 3 hour marathon in me.  They say you aren't ready for you next marathon until you have forgot how much the last one hurt.  I am not sure if I am quite there yet.  Maybe in another year.  :-)

Edited by BlueBoy26 2018-04-23 9:59 PM

2018-04-24 2:04 PM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by BlueBoy26 My brother asked me today if I wanted to do the 2020 Boston marathon if he can qualify after the Yeti 100 this year. There are some big ifs there. :-)
Curtis--if you can siphon off the training time to qualify for Boston, it is a great experience, one that you'll remember the rest of your life. You nailed the obvious challenge...carving out the time to train and qualify which puts pressure on the triathlon focus. Steve

My brother is the ultra marathoner.  I am the guy that runs sub 18 minute 5K's.  I can do a mean half marathon but have never held it together for the full. 

I have figured out a lot of things about refueling, etc. over the past 3-1/2 years doing triathlons though.  I might be able to hold a marathon together now.  I still might have a sub 3 hour marathon in me.  They say you aren't ready for you next marathon until you have forgot how much the last one hurt.  I am not sure if I am quite there yet.  Maybe in another year.  :-)

Curtis--I have zero doubts you can run a solid marathon, especially with your speed on the 5k.. Additionally, IMHO anyone that can complete a solid HM has the basic skill and suffering tolerance to go the full distance. In my mind it all comes down to putting in the training miles at the target race pace so on race day you can nail it without even looking at your watch. I ran 3:12 in Chicago when I was 48 which is I guess close to your age now. I spent weeks of training to nail my pacing. My goal was to hit 7:10 per mile for each 5K. I was within 20 seconds of this pace until the very last 5K which came in at a 7:44 pace.

That, and find a fast course to qualify on.

Amen on your comment about not running another marathon until you forget the last one. I ran my first marathon at age 27. How bad did it suck? I didn't run another for 15 years! Ha!

Steve
2018-04-25 3:05 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Beach Boys...
Don't know how many of you like to listen to music on your runs. I'll take along my Iphone and plug in the ear phones about half the time. Normally I plug in the up tempo stuff. (Foo Fighters are good tempo) I like the faster beat to set my stride pacing.

Since I'm limping along with a bit of a hip pull, today I decided to plug in the Best of the Beach Boys for a Gray Guy/Girls throwback run. Along came one of my favorite songs lesser known Brian Wilson songs, Love & Mercy. Perfect for an easy paced run on a sunny day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k_ffl3ZM2s

If you've even been a fan of the Beach Boys I really recommend watching this movie by the same name. Brian Wilson was one tortured soul. But it's a wonderful movie.

Have a great day!

Steve

2018-04-26 12:24 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Curtis--I have zero doubts you can run a solid marathon, especially with your speed on the 5k.. Additionally, IMHO anyone that can complete a solid HM has the basic skill and suffering tolerance to go the full distance. In my mind it all comes down to putting in the training miles at the target race pace so on race day you can nail it without even looking at your watch. I ran 3:12 in Chicago when I was 48 which is I guess close to your age now. I spent weeks of training to nail my pacing. My goal was to hit 7:10 per mile for each 5K. I was within 20 seconds of this pace until the very last 5K which came in at a 7:44 pace. That, and find a fast course to qualify on. Amen on your comment about not running another marathon until you forget the last one. I ran my first marathon at age 27. How bad did it suck? I didn't run another for 15 years! Ha! Steve

Thanks!  After being a dedicated 5K runner for about a dozen years I had some friends invite me to do the Country Music City Half Marathon with them 10 years ago.  I joined an 18 week full/half marathon training program organized through a local running store to train for the race because I had never done a run longer than 10 miles and had never raced over about 5 miles.  Well long story short I beat my goal by about 15 minutes in the half marathon and felt so good after the race that I was wishing that I had done the full marathons because the half wasn't challenging enough for me.  So...I did my first full marathon 3 weeks later because there wouldn't be another in-state marathon that I could do another 6-8 months if I missed that one.  I crashed 11 miles into my first Marathon. I was a 3 loop course around a lake and after the 2nd loop I was going to drop out but them was my bother telling me that I couldn't drop out and he pushed me back on to the course for the 3rd loop.  It was a small race with only about 50 runners so my brother was waiting for me at ever mile marker on the last loop (and most of the 2nd loop).  When I got to him he would hand me a full bottle of water (it was 85 deg F in May so needed it) I would walk with my brother while I drank the water then I would hand him the bottle back and run to the next mile marker where he was waiting for me with a fresh bottle of H20.  I wasn't going to try to do the Marathon thing again but my brother was so excited about how well I did in my first marathon and told me that the strength he saw from me in the last half of the marathon convinced him that I would make a good marathoner.  So I start training for the next race,  It was an out-of-state race 7 months away.  I did most of the miles, but chickened out of doing the next race.  I didn't feel like I had trained as hard as I had for my first half marathon and that I wasn't likely to improve much over the first race. So I got serious about things and planned on an out-of-state race 4 months later.  I lined up two half marathons as training runs.  The first one I trained through.  I was doing 40-55 miles a week and I did the half marathon at the end of one of those 55 miles weeks.  The first 5 miles of that half I was extremely dead legged, but after than I noticed that I had loosened up and worked through the lactate acid in my legs and was feeling pretty good, so I finished that race just 30 seconds behind my first Half marathon. I trained hard and do a perfect taper and drove a state away for my race only for is to be canceled the next morning because they has got 1/4" of snow and the police force that was going to be supporting the race though they might be need to handle increase traffic accidents.  As we pulled out of town at 9:30 AM the last traces of snow were almost melted.  I was very frustrated but came back the following week end for the rescheduled race.  They didn't offer the full on the make-up day to I ran the half.  I didn't have a good race.  I was 2 minutes over my first half.  Three week later I the other training half that I had planned.  It was in my home town and much of it was a parks trail that I ran with my cross country team in High school.  I smashed my first half marathon time and was 3rd place over all in a field of around 600 people.  The next opportunity I had for a full marathon was a year later.  I again train well and had a much better full marathon that my first race, but I missed my BQ by four minutes after setting a new half marathon PR two months earlier that was a 2nd place over all finish at the home town race and a time fast enough to qualify for the New York marathon.  So my half were going really well but the full Marathons not so much.  So... I became a half marathon specialist for the next 6 years until I got into Triathlons.   I am sure that refueling was one of my struggles on the full marathons.  I can run a decent half marathon fasting.  If I go serious about marathons again I am sure I might stumble through some of them but I would eventual nail one. I just find Triathlons more fun that Marathons and fun is something that keeps me going.

2018-04-27 9:11 AM

User image

Regular

Curtis--I have zero doubts you can run a solid marathon, especially with your speed on the 5k.. Additionally, IMHO anyone that can complete a solid HM has the basic skill and suffering tolerance to go the full distance.Steve

Thanks!  After being a dedicated 5K runner for about a dozen years I had some friends invite me to do the Country Music City Half Marathon with them 10 years ago.  I joined an 18 week full/half marathon training program organized through a local running store to train for the race because I had never done a run longer than 10 miles and had never raced over about 5 miles.  Well long story short I beat my goal by about 15 minutes in the half marathon and felt so good after the race that I was wishing that I had done the full marathons because the half wasn't challenging enough for me.  If I go serious about marathons again I am sure I might stumble through some of them but I would eventual nail one. I just find Triathlons more fun that Marathons and fun is something that keeps me going.

Holy Moly Curtis. That's an incredible string of bad luck. I've had some hot, miserable days and windy, rainy days, but nothing like the string of adversity you had to endure. I'd say having your marathon cancelled due to snow qualifies for the description of just really bad luck.

I share your perspective...triathlons are just more fun than marathons. The marathon itself is invigorating, but in no way do I miss slogging through those 20+ mile weekend training runs in the middle of winter. Plus biking is a riot, so there's that!

Regardless, should your focus shift (god forbid a full Iron distance race!), deep down you know you've got it in you. A 70.3 requires endurance for substantially longer than a marathon. Now that you've got the nutrition dialed in you might find a much different marathon experience.

Good luck out there.

Steve
2018-04-27 9:28 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

...Plus biking is a riot, so there's that! Regardless...

Yep...biking is a riot.  I find that swimming quite enjoyable too.  -Curtis-

2018-04-27 11:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Steve - I just listened to the Beach Boys - Love and Mercy.  I can't say I recall ever hearing it before but it took me right back to about 1965.  Very nice.  I'm going to have to revisit them.

I also recently watched the Foo Fighters video for "Run".  Very entertaining video and a good song.  I started collecting songs to listen to while running but I never wear earplugs while running or cycling.  I figure it is too dangerous.

Have you ever listened to The Black Keys - I like a few of their songs and particularly "Lonely Boy".  I better not get started - I have too many favourites.

I just remembered "Wicked Tinkers with Craig Ferguson".  If you like drums this is too good to miss and Craig Ferguson keeps up with them really well.  Okay, now I'll stop.

Edited by wenceslasz 2018-04-28 12:10 AM
2018-04-28 12:39 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Steve - I just listened to the Beach Boys - Love and Mercy.  I can't say I recall ever hearing it before but it took me right back to about 1965.  Very nice.  I'm going to have to revisit them.

I also recently watched the Foo Fighters video for "Run".  Very entertaining video and a good song.  I started collecting songs to listen to while running but I never wear earplugs while running or cycling.  I figure it is too dangerous.

Have you ever listened to The Black Keys - I like a few of their songs and particularly "Lonely Boy".  I better not get started - I have too many favourites.

I just remembered "Wicked Tinkers with Craig Ferguson".  If you like drums this is too good to miss and Craig Ferguson keeps up with them really well.  Okay, now I'll stop.

Good suggestions, George. I give them a listen.

I don't worry much about running with headphones. I always run facing the traffic, so staying alert and aware is the key and headphones don't detract from that. And I figure I can't get in to too much danger wearing headphones on my bike trainer in the basement. So far, I've covered 5 seasons of Game of Thrones during my bike workouts this winter. But, a lot of time I prefer music to use the beat to keep me going.

I listened to SuperTramp, Crime of the Century on my trainer ride today. It's just a killer album from the mid 70's with some of the best piano segments in rock. Good stuff.

I definitely check out Craig Ferguson!

Steve
2018-04-29 2:27 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Love the Pain Clothing
It's a Sunday, so you may have some free time today. If you want an entertaining read and almost a text book case of how NOT to handle customer service, read this thread of posts. Some of it is laugh out loud funny. At some point the CEO joins in the posts with his reponse...which only opens the floodgates.

If nothing else, it will cause you to pause before ordering clothing from this company.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Fo...

Best,

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2018-04-29 2:28 PM
2018-04-29 8:17 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Beach Boys...

Don't know how many of you like to listen to music on your runs. I'll take along my Iphone and plug in the ear phones about half the time. Normally I plug in the up tempo stuff. (Foo Fighters are good tempo) I like the faster beat to set my stride pacing.

Since I'm limping along with a bit of a hip pull, today I decided to plug in the Best of the Beach Boys for a Gray Guy/Girls throwback run. Along came one of my favorite songs lesser known Brian Wilson songs, Love & Mercy. Perfect for an easy paced run on a sunny day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k_ffl3ZM2s

If you've even been a fan of the Beach Boys I really recommend watching this movie by the same name. Brian Wilson was one tortured soul. But it's a wonderful movie.

Have a great day!

Steve

Steve,

I LOVE the Beach Boys - going all the way back to high school.  A VERY long time ago.  I don't often have music on outside but always on the treadmill. 

I agree, Brian Wilson had some issues - which is probably why he made such great music.

Thanks for sharing!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 9237 Posts: 78

2018-08-28 12:53 PM riles32807

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 929 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa

Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Baowolf