BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2018-04-29 8:45 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Love the Pain Clothing

Originally posted by lutzman

It's a Sunday, so you may have some free time today. If you want an entertaining read and almost a text book case of how NOT to handle customer service, read this thread of posts. Some of it is laugh out loud funny. At some point the CEO joins in the posts with his reponse...which only opens the floodgates.

If nothing else, it will cause you to pause before ordering clothing from this company.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/%22LOVE_THE_PAIN%22_clothing_-_I_want_a_phone_number_P6541937/

Best,

Steve

Steve,

Thanks!  I already spend WAY too much time on ST and now I'm presented with a must-read thread!  

I wonder if they are actually sitting somewhere, wondering why people are so upset with them.

2018-05-01 2:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: On your marks....
Today is a holiday here in Sweden and the start of my racing season -a 10k run. Although I have taken part in races before (once or twice a year), this is the first time I call this a ”season” as I have a few events lined up.. After today, I have a duathlon on the 12th and 4 tris until the end of August. All sprints.
Bring it on!

Edited by Rollergirl 2018-05-01 2:23 AM
2018-05-01 7:23 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Today is a holiday here in Sweden and the start of my racing season -a 10k run. Although I have taken part in races before (once or twice a year), this is the first time I call this a ”season” as I have a few events lined up.. After today, I have a duathlon on the 12th and 4 tris until the end of August. All sprints. Bring it on!

Hey Nathalie,

I remember not so long ago when two races was a lot in a year!  Nice to see you are getting into a more active race schedule.  Good luck in your race today (maybe I should say, hope your race went well today?).

2018-05-01 9:15 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Rollergirl Today is a holiday here in Sweden and the start of my racing season -a 10k run. Although I have taken part in races before (once or twice a year), this is the first time I call this a ”season” as I have a few events lined up.. After today, I have a duathlon on the 12th and 4 tris until the end of August. All sprints. Bring it on!

Hey Nathalie,

I remember not so long ago when two races was a lot in a year!  Nice to see you are getting into a more active race schedule.  Good luck in your race today (maybe I should say, hope your race went well today?).

Yes, that was last year!

It went really well, thanks, I reached all the time goals I had set:

Last year’s time by almost 9 minutes
10k PB (In January this year) by 4minutes
My friend’s time (at another race earlier this year) by almost one minute

2018-05-01 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Had my first race of the season on Sunday.  It didn't go as well as I had hoped but I finished it and learned a few things for the next one in 2 weeks.  This one was a super sprint (150y/10m/2m) with a pool swim, somewhat hilly bike and run.  It was a chilly morning which made me a little nervous.  I wasn't sure how the bike ride would feel being wet after the swim.  The swim ended up being the best part.  Granted it was only 150y but it felt easy and I finished in about the time I expected so happy with that.  I about froze on my way out to transition though.  T1 was a little long (as usual for me ).  I took an extra minute or so to dry off a bit and put on a jacket for the ride.  I'm glad I did.  I was a bit windy out there which didn't help with the temperature.  The bike was slower than I had hoped but considering I had only ridden outside for less than a mile since September (and that was the day before the race just to check my brakes), I can't really complain.  I was a bit hesitant at first being on the road, but once I got going, it was OK, just slow.  Good news is I made it up all the hills without too much trouble, even the last one which is not especially steep but it's long.  I failed on that hill 2 years ago when I did this race, this time I made it all the way to the top.  The run was my usual run/walk thing.  I couldn't seem to keep my HR down though.  My legs felt pretty good, just had trouble with the breathing and HR.  

Overall it was a good warm-up type race for Gateway in 2 weeks.  I think I'll be OK with the swim (as long as the water isn't too cold, it's an OWS and we haven't had too many days here where it's been hot enough to warm up the water), the bike there is completely flat but it's usually a little windy,  and the run is rolling hills.  So if I can work on my run over the next 2 weeks, I should be OK.  

Janet

2018-05-01 9:43 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Hey Nathalie,

Yes, that was last year! It went really well, thanks, I reached all the time goals I had set: Last year’s time by almost 9 minutes 10k PB (In January this year) by 4minutes My friend’s time (at another race earlier this year) by almost one minute

WOW!  That was a great race result.  10-minutes over last year, a 4-minute PR over a race only four months ago.  Good job!

2018-05-01 9:49 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

Had my first race of the season on Sunday.  It didn't go as well as I had hoped but I finished it and learned a few things for the next one in 2 weeks.  This one was a super sprint (150y/10m/2m) with a pool swim, somewhat hilly bike and run.  It was a chilly morning which made me a little nervous.  I wasn't sure how the bike ride would feel being wet after the swim.  The swim ended up being the best part.  Granted it was only 150y but it felt easy and I finished in about the time I expected so happy with that.  I about froze on my way out to transition though.  T1 was a little long (as usual for me ).  I took an extra minute or so to dry off a bit and put on a jacket for the ride.  I'm glad I did.  I was a bit windy out there which didn't help with the temperature.  The bike was slower than I had hoped but considering I had only ridden outside for less than a mile since September (and that was the day before the race just to check my brakes), I can't really complain.  I was a bit hesitant at first being on the road, but once I got going, it was OK, just slow.  Good news is I made it up all the hills without too much trouble, even the last one which is not especially steep but it's long.  I failed on that hill 2 years ago when I did this race, this time I made it all the way to the top.  The run was my usual run/walk thing.  I couldn't seem to keep my HR down though.  My legs felt pretty good, just had trouble with the breathing and HR.  

Overall it was a good warm-up type race for Gateway in 2 weeks.  I think I'll be OK with the swim (as long as the water isn't too cold, it's an OWS and we haven't had too many days here where it's been hot enough to warm up the water), the bike there is completely flat but it's usually a little windy,  and the run is rolling hills.  So if I can work on my run over the next 2 weeks, I should be OK.  

Janet

Hey Janet,

Sounds like you had a good race.

Making it up a hill that beat you two years ago is called progress!  Always nice when you have confirmation the training is working.

There's no shame in "run/walk" during the run.  Ironman World Champions regularly employ a run/walk strategy.  You might consider actually going into the race with a deliberate run/walk strategy - plan to run/walk.  It will help with your HR and mentally you won't feel like you were reduced to "your usual run/walk thing."  Just my two cents.

2018-05-01 12:26 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Hey Nathalie,

Yes, that was last year! It went really well, thanks, I reached all the time goals I had set: Last year’s time by almost 9 minutes 10k PB (In January this year) by 4minutes My friend’s time (at another race earlier this year) by almost one minute

WOW!  That was a great race result.  10-minutes over last year, a 4-minute PR over a race only four months ago.  Good job!

Thanks! I am enjoying making big progress, which often happens at the beginning. I know it won’t last forever.

(For the record, my official time was 52:35)
2018-05-01 8:39 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

Hey Nathalie,

Thanks! I am enjoying making big progress, which often happens at the beginning. I know it won’t last forever.

(For the record, my official time was 52:35)

Well done Natalie. Terrific that you're showing nice improvements on the same course.

Good luck in two weeks!

Steve
2018-05-03 12:30 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks Steve
2018-05-06 4:34 PM
in reply to: 0

New user
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: First 2018 Tri
Hi All, I’m glad that it’s finally warming up!

Nathalie congrats on your 10K and Janet on your Sprint!!!

I raced the J-Hawk Olympic Tri today in Whitewater, Wisconsin
Race Conditions 60 F, & Windy

1000 Yard pool Swim, 17:56 (1:48/100)
T1 1:48
26.5 Mike Bike, 1:22 (19.3 mph)
T2 1:21
6.5 Mike Run 53:37 (8:39/ mile)
Finish 2:37:42

I was 16 minutes faster than 2 years ago- and felt strong throughout. Nutrition was good, 3 gu’s, 2 gatorades, 2 salt tablets- I lose fluids easily.

But, my heart rate stayed in the high 160’s for the first 10 miles of the bike and was in the 180’s for the run- which can’t happen for my Ironman- so I’m going to put more time in the pool and start including some bike/ run intervals.

The only negative is that while I stayed in aero for the bike, my upper back always cramps. I’ve been fitted on my bike, and am working on back exercises & planks- but I had to take Tylenol for the pain again- very frustrating!

Happy Sunday Everyone,

Edited by Turner100 2018-05-06 4:38 PM

2018-05-06 8:22 PM
in reply to: Turner100

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: RE: First 2018 Tri
Hi all,

Am too far behind to catch up, but don't want to put off hopping back in. Sounds like a few of you have started your race seasons already!

Lost two weeks with the flu a month ago and am feeling the fear of being behind in my training plan. Have not managed to lose any weight, even though I am tracking my food and have a calorie deficit almost every day. Doing all my workouts, except for the swim. Practicing TI form I am down to 2:26 from 2:50 (yeah, was slower than driftwood, always last out of a lake).

Training hard, even lost a toenail, but don't see how I'll be ready for a HIM in 5 weeks. Plan gives times and it obviously assumes I'm going covering more distance than I am. Haven't run more than 7 miles at a time. Kids are encouraging me, don't want me to give up, but am thinking of contacting race coordinators and asking if they will transfer my HIM registration to next year.
I can do an oly June 16 instead of the HIM (super hilly which I hate). There are two other possible HIM happening in Sept.

I really need help. In the meantime, I am just doing each workout, maybe a miracle will happen.

Mitzi

2018-05-07 4:17 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Well done on your race Rob

Mitzi, not sure what to tell you, if you don't feel ready, maybe it would be better to just do the Oly this year, BUT... are we ever ready for our first time at a new distance?

New thing for me this week. My first "away" race. I have only participated in local or very local races until now. On Friday, I will drive 2 hours and stay overnight for a Sprint du.

It's actually the Swedish National Championships and although I am competing in the "leisure" class as they call it, we all race together so it should be fun. I will certainly compare my time with the girls in my AG, just to see....

2018-05-07 10:52 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

First OWS practice on Saturday morning.  I needed to make sure my wetsuit still fit since I've gained a bit of weight since the last time I work it.  It went on better than expected although I had some trouble getting it all the way up over my shoulders.  Luckily a teammate was able to help me with that part.  Water temperature was warmer than I expected (around 69*), but it's just a small man-made lake so that's probably why it was warmer than I thought it would be.  Hopefully the lake at next weekend's race won't be too much cooler.  I just did a short swim to get the feel of the suit again and being in a lake - went well so I'm encouraged for the race.  

Nice outdoor ride with the tri club after the swim.  I only did 16 miles (stayed with some of the newer people) but it was a nice ride.  Not too windy for once on that route and I even led the ride for a while (again I was with the newer/slower people ).  It's a similar course as the race route so that should go well also I think.  

Just need to get through this week, then leaving on Friday to stay overnight for the race on Saturday morning.
Janet

2018-05-07 4:22 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Just found out my race this weekend has been cancelled due to low registration .  I had heard that the company was considering not doing it after this year - I was hoping to do it one more time though.  So do I find another race to do within the next 3-4 weeks or just concentrate on training for the one in July?  I really want to do well at that one but I'm doing so few races this year, I was really looking forward to the one this weekend.  

Janet

2018-05-07 5:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Janet, so disappointing! Will be listening to the advice you receive.

Nathalie, you are brave to be around the elites. I am so intimidated when the thin, young guys zoom by me on a steep hill (it was a 2 loop course ).

2018-05-08 12:33 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
That sucks Janet, I would try and find another race if I was you.

Mitzi, nothing wrong with thin fit guys running pass me, I enjoy the view (briefly). LOL!

The problem is when other middle aged ladies do that!
2018-05-08 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

OK, so I've got 3 possibilities to replace this weekend's race (4 if you count not replacing it at all).

1 - The RD for the St Louis Tri on 5/20 has offered a substantial discount to those of us who were registered for Gateway this weekend.  It's a good race - I've done it the last 2 years - the course is similar to my race in July (lake swim, flat bike and run courses) and I'm already prepared for the distance.  I'm already set to volunteer at the race so I was planning to be there anyway.  It would be a good fit but for some reason I'm hesitant to do it - not really sure why.

2 - I could do a biathlon on 6/10.  It's a 4 mile run/20 mile bike, both flat courses.  It's also a race I've done before and I like it.  The issues here are that it's usually extremely hot there, and I'm a little worried about the 4 mile run.  My hamstring has been acting up and anything over 3 miles is a little tough on it. 

3 - I could do a sprint triathlon or duathlon on 6/16 (the race offers multiple distances). I've done both at this race I enjoy it but the bike and run are both very hilly so totally different than the race I'm aiming for in July.  On the one hand, the hills could make me stronger, on the other hand, running hills (and to some extent biking them) really does a number on my hamstring.  I don't want to make things worse before the July race. 

I feel like if I really want to do another race before July, option 1 is my best choice.  And I know a lot of people who are also doing the race.  I just need to figure out why I'm hesitating to sign up. 

Janet   

2018-05-08 12:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
2018-05-08 2:15 PM
in reply to: Turner100

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

ro

Originally posted by Turner100

. . . I was 16 minutes faster than 2 years ago- and felt strong throughout. 

Hey Rob,

Nice job!  16-minutes is a great improvement for anyone!

2018-05-08 2:42 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by MuscleMomma

Hi all,

Am too far behind to catch up, but don't want to put off hopping back in. Sounds like a few of you have started your race seasons already!

Lost two weeks with the flu a month ago and am feeling the fear of being behind in my training plan. Have not managed to lose any weight, even though I am tracking my food and have a calorie deficit almost every day. Doing all my workouts, except for the swim. Practicing TI form I am down to 2:26 from 2:50 (yeah, was slower than driftwood, always last out of a lake).

Training hard, even lost a toenail, but don't see how I'll be ready for a HIM in 5 weeks. Plan gives times and it obviously assumes I'm going covering more distance than I am. Haven't run more than 7 miles at a time. Kids are encouraging me, don't want me to give up, but am thinking of contacting race coordinators and asking if they will transfer my HIM registration to next year. I can do an oly June 16 instead of the HIM (super hilly which I hate). There are two other possible HIM happening in Sept.

I really need help. In the meantime, I am just doing each workout, maybe a miracle will happen.

Mitzi

Hi Mitzi,

I have a question for you.  How much fitness do you need to complete a 70.3?  Do you know?

Because I don't know.  Every time I think I have it figured out, along comes another athlete that proves me wrong.  I know this - I have an athlete who will be competing in a 140.6 next weekend who, because of ridiculous career demands, has less training volume than you do.  Is his or your training volume optimal?  No, it's not.  Will either of you challenge for a podium finish?  Probably not.  That DOESN'T mean you can't complete the race or shouldn't start the race.

The reality is that for the vast majority of age-group athletes, long-course triathlon is about a personal journey of discovery and conquest.  The only person you are really competing against is you.

At it's core, long-course triathlon isn't about the level of fitness you have on race day.  Rather it's about having a plan that best takes advantage of the fitness you bring to the starting line on race day.  The mistake many of the most superbly trained athletes will make on race day is assuming their fitness will carry them through to a successful finish.  Many of those well-trained and highly fit athletes will be walking a death march before the end of the day because they don't have a plan or can't execute a plan.

Would it be REALLY hard if you attempt the race?  Yup!  Is there a chance you won't make a cut-off somewhere along the way?  Yup.  If that happens, you get up, and try again next time.

I know this, because I've been there - if you don't start you will always wonder "What if?"  It's been nearly 30-years since I didn't start a race because I'd convinced myself I was under-trained.  It still torments me at night.

2018-05-08 2:46 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Just found out my race this weekend has been cancelled due to low registration .

Janet

Janet,

Well, that sucks!  I'm sure there are races around.  I know there's an OLY up in Muncie Indiana next weekend.  Not sure you want to drive that far but I'm pretty sure it's still open.  LOL, we could finally meet after all these years!

2018-05-08 2:47 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

OK, so I've got 3 possibilities to replace this weekend's race (4 if you count not replacing it at all).

LOL, or you could do any of those three possibilities!

2018-05-09 12:22 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
My vote goes to the 1st oprion Janet, mainly because that’s the nearest in time, but also for the other reasons. Strange that you have doubts about it, I hope you can find out.
2018-05-09 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by Rollergirl My vote goes to the 1st oprion Janet, mainly because that’s the nearest in time, but also for the other reasons. Strange that you have doubts about it, I hope you can find out.

I went ahead and registered for St Louis tri (opt 1).  With the discount Rich gave us it was hard to pass up.  I was supposed to volunteer at the race (water station right outside transition starting the run)and I think that's what was holding me back a little.  Sounds strange, but I was looking forward to working at that water stop and cheering on the runners as they went by.  I'm usually so far back of the pack in a race that I don't get much chance to cheer on teammates and such.  But I'll have the chance to do that at some other races coming up, so I might as well do this one since I can.  

Janet

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 9422 Posts: 78

2018-08-28 12:53 PM riles32807

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 943 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa

Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Baowolf