of 6

2017-12-16 1:12 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: New Tax Bill
Originally posted by spudone

I didn't read through the full bill yet but just curious - did they make any changes to the carried interest provision?

Spud, I said earned income tax credit above, what I meant to say was carried interest. According to Reuters:
"The bill does not eliminate Wall Street’s so-called carried interest loophole that allows fund managers to claim a lower capital gains tax rate on profits from investments held more than a year. Getting rid of the loophole was a Trump campaign pledge. Instead, the legislation makes it harder for some fund managers to take advantage of the loopholes by requiring them to hold investments for more than three years before claiming it."

This is what I heard they were going to do, not eliminate it, just require that they hold the principal for longer to take the tax benefit. Not really a fix.

2017-12-16 8:48 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy Honestly, I'm not upset about anything other than the fact that we are passing on an inevitable tax hike to our grandkids (and as they are currently unborn I can't get that upset). As the principal point of this "tax reform" was to lower the business tax rate they could have made this tax bill revenue neutral through several mechanisms by just reforming some of the BS loopholes that have been put in the code over the last decade or so. One thing that does have me a bit upset was the fact that Trump said he would fix the earned income tax credit but they didn't even touch this. As for the inheritance tax, we will long have the fight about whether perpetual generational wealth is a good thing for our society. But the fact that this new tax bill limits SALT write-offs, the republicans have taken the argument that we should not tax taxed income off the table.

I truly don't understand how any sane person can even question the ability of somebody passing what they worked their entire life on to their children.  I feel more revolted by it than somebody breaking into my home with a gun and stealing everything I own.

2017-12-17 12:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Oysterboy Honestly, I'm not upset about anything other than the fact that we are passing on an inevitable tax hike to our grandkids (and as they are currently unborn I can't get that upset). As the principal point of this "tax reform" was to lower the business tax rate they could have made this tax bill revenue neutral through several mechanisms by just reforming some of the BS loopholes that have been put in the code over the last decade or so. One thing that does have me a bit upset was the fact that Trump said he would fix the earned income tax credit but they didn't even touch this. As for the inheritance tax, we will long have the fight about whether perpetual generational wealth is a good thing for our society. But the fact that this new tax bill limits SALT write-offs, the republicans have taken the argument that we should not tax taxed income off the table.

I truly don't understand how any sane person can even question the ability of somebody passing what they worked their entire life on to their children.  I feel more revolted by it than somebody breaking into my home with a gun and stealing everything I own.

I agree.

We have saved and saved, and invested well. If all goes like we have planned for, we will leave our children a few million dollars. What would you have us do with that money if not leave it to our kids? Who else could think they have a claim to that money that we made and saved?  Yes, I understand that it's not a lot of money and maybe not "perpetual wealth" like you are talking about.......but I will say this, NOBODY HAS A CLAIM TO IT EXCEPT MY CHILDREN, WHO IT WAS MEANT FOR. 

I hope I raised them well enough to fight for it if need be. It's mine, and I'll leave it to I want to leave it to.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-12-17 12:30 AM
2017-12-17 7:25 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by Left Brain

I agree.

We have saved and saved, and invested well. If all goes like we have planned for, we will leave our children a few million dollars. What would you have us do with that money if not leave it to our kids? Who else could think they have a claim to that money that we made and saved?  Yes, I understand that it's not a lot of money and maybe not "perpetual wealth" like you are talking about.......but I will say this, NOBODY HAS A CLAIM TO IT EXCEPT MY CHILDREN, WHO IT WAS MEANT FOR. 

I hope I raised them well enough to fight for it if need be. It's mine, and I'll leave it to I want to leave it to.

First of all, I am not against the passing on the fruits of anyone's labor to their children. However, we need to consider the big picture and unintended consequences. First, lets make sure we are talking about the same thing here we are talking multiple millions of dollars (~$11M in 2016, doubles to $22M for a couple under the proposed changes) and only a very, very small percentage of people are subject to the estate tax (currently 0.2% per Money magazine). Second, estate tax law has never had the effect of making the children of wealthy people not wealthy. The passing of generational wealth has to be planned - I already have much of the wealth my mother inherited - you plan for such things. Also, wealthy kids go to the best schools and get other advantages that allow them to succeed - this cannot be argued. One of the things the estate tax HAS done is to diffuse some amount of great wealth into the public domain through charitable giving. Watch a PBS show and see all those foundations that fund that show - I will guarantee that 99% of those were set up as a hedge against the estate tax. I personally view this as a good thing, it is a mechanism that puts some of this wealth back into the public sphere to benefit our society but in a way that allows the wealthy to control its use.

Rolling back of these forces on the estates will put more money into trans-generational wealth. This has two effects that I personally see as problematic. One is that it exacerbates the current income inequality in the United States because the rich get richer. Conservatives poo-poo this but it is real and it does greatly threaten our democracy. Like most Americans I think the New Deal was a good thing and the 1890's were not good for most in this country. If this makes me a communist then so be it, but there are A LOT of people in this country that will line up with me. Second, trans-generational wealth gets us that much closer to being an oligarchy. We already know that an outsized amount of politics is shaped by political donors and much of this pressure has the effect of shifting more money (and power) into the wealthy. I have nothing against people making as much money as they can and passing it on to their family, but we need to be wary of the unintended consequences of great trans-generational wealth because there are consequences.
2017-12-17 9:39 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I think one of the big problems we have is we've been led to believe that we should have a say in how others spend their money. We don't. We think we have the right to determine how much or how little another person spends on taxes. We don't. We have a stake in determining how much or where someone gives to charity. Again, nope, none of your business. This leads back to my previous post on how our government has us divided into thinking we have a say in how others get, use or spend their money. Conservatives think they should have a say in how much welfare people should get or setting conditions on how they receive it. Liberals feel that they have a say in how everyone uses their money. Big negative.

Income inequality? That's total BS. Income inequality has existed since we started walking upright. It's basic Darwinism, survival of the fittest. It's going to be there and there's no mechanism we can put in place to stop it. Taxation is the government's answer; with the promise of redistribution. Again, more BS. They are merely going to waste it along with the other trillions they have wasted so efficiently. You're never going to be able to tax the wealthy enough to narrow the gap between the haves and have nots. Why don't Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates load a semi with $100 bills and drive across the country chucking hundies out the back? Because they're liberal hypocrites pretending to give a sh*t about the little people that made them obscenely wealthy. Practice what you preach or STFU. Apple ( love my Apple toys ) with it's hipster liberal millennial image; moving pallets of money off shore because for all their liberal appearances, don't really want to redistribute their income via the US tax system. Smart, but again, hypocritical.

Edited by mdg2003 2017-12-17 9:43 AM
2017-12-17 10:08 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Tejas
Looks like a lot of those student loan and graduate interest issues have been resolved in the newest version of the bill - from an article on Fox ( believe the source at your own peril )

Tax breaks for student loans

These are being restored. Earlier versions included a provision that would have eliminated the deduction for interest on student loans. This controversial provision is now gone, aides told The Associated Press. Also, the bill would no longer start taxing graduate-school tuition waivers, the aides said.

2017-12-17 11:14 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Expert
Floriduh
We'll have to agree to disagree but EVERY bit of evidence I read points squarely at levels of income inequality that approach, and in many ways, exceed to guilded era. Going hand-in-hand with this is the erosion of the middle class. Sorry, this is just what I read and I see in the world in front of me.
2017-12-17 6:46 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Oh, I don't disagree that there is a gap between the haves and have nots. I didn't say that, I meant that I don't believe that government can do a thing about it. They'll rile folks up about it and use it to fit the narrative of what they're selling us, but they can't change it. Taxing the carp out of wealthy people will not change it either. I do know that taxing the carp out of businesses doesn't work. It has led to jobs moving across our borders and THAT is what is eroding our middle class.

2017-12-17 6:57 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy We'll have to agree to disagree but EVERY bit of evidence I read points squarely at levels of income inequality that approach, and in many ways, exceed to guilded era. Going hand-in-hand with this is the erosion of the middle class. Sorry, this is just what I read and I see in the world in front of me.

Is this where I say you need to stop reading Huffpo and CNN?  ;-)

I do understand the arguments and I'm certainly not faulting you for believing what you believe, but it really boils down to you feel it's OK for the government to seize the assets of people that are successful for no other reason than the fact that they're successful.  What if I say you've been too successful and use my government to take your assets, is that OK?  If it's only a number then what's the right number.  As for there being a lot of people who agree with you, of course they agree with you because it's always the richer guy that's getting hosed and they're the ones getting her money.  So basically as long as you have a bigger mob, it's ok to break the door down and take what they earned.

2017-12-17 8:09 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by mdg2003 Oh, I don't disagree that there is a gap between the haves and have nots. I didn't say that, I meant that I don't believe that government can do a thing about it. They'll rile folks up about it and use it to fit the narrative of what they're selling us, but they can't change it. Taxing the carp out of wealthy people will not change it either. I do know that taxing the carp out of businesses doesn't work. It has led to jobs moving across our borders and THAT is what is eroding our middle class.

Government's job isn't to pick winners and losers, it's to make a fair playing field. 

The reason there's so much wealth disparity now is because of the economic shift of things like a kid in college writing a website for people to friend all their families is now worth billions of dollars.  In the traditional economy you'd have to build a company for decades to be worth a billion dollars.  Nothing wrong with that, but it's creating new wealth in ways it didn't exist before and it also provides many more avenues for the "have nots" to make it.

2017-12-18 6:42 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Tejas

Originally posted by mdg2003 Oh, I don't disagree that there is a gap between the haves and have nots. I didn't say that, I meant that I don't believe that government can do a thing about it. They'll rile folks up about it and use it to fit the narrative of what they're selling us, but they can't change it. Taxing the carp out of wealthy people will not change it either. I do know that taxing the carp out of businesses doesn't work. It has led to jobs moving across our borders and THAT is what is eroding our middle class.

Government's job isn't to pick winners and losers, it's to make a fair playing field. 

The reason there's so much wealth disparity now is because of the economic shift of things like a kid in college writing a website for people to friend all their families is now worth billions of dollars.  In the traditional economy you'd have to build a company for decades to be worth a billion dollars.  Nothing wrong with that, but it's creating new wealth in ways it didn't exist before and it also provides many more avenues for the "have nots" to make it.

I believe I pointed that out before and was told that all wealth disparity studies toss out the top and low numbers. Where the numbers are cut off, on the top end and the bottom, could be arbitrarily be chosen to skew the data towards a pre-determined outcome based on the narrative the study wishes to support. Just my opinion, though I've never taken a stats class. That's also irrelevant, to me at least, since we all agree that there is a big gap between haves and have nots.
I just feel that if you want to have, work hard. Otherwise you'll just have to settle with what comes your way, which usually results in having not. Government taxing the snot out of the wealthy will not close the gap. Because the government will just waste it and the wealthy will just work harder to make up the difference or find a way to not get taxed on what they have.
Standing there with your hand out hoping the government will drop something extra in it from that promised tax increase on the 'rich' is a guarantee you'll be a have not.

2017-12-18 8:52 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Apparently Feinstein agrees that the tax bill doesn't help the wealthy

2017-12-18 11:11 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Ooooh, rich people. She should get with Guv. Jerry and tax them to pay for my healthcare....
2017-12-18 11:17 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by mdg2003

Ooooh, rich people. She should get with Guv. Jerry and tax them to pay for my healthcare....

I read an interesting article a while back that talked about allowing a Federal deduction for state income tax was nothing more than redistributing income from low tax states to high tax states.  Basically enabling folks in higher tax states to pay less Federal tax so others have to pick up the slack.  Kind of interesting discussion point all by itself.

My personal philosophy is that I don't think anyone should get to deduct anything and everybody should be charged the same percentage no matter how little or how much they make.  That's the only fair way to tax people, but we all know that will never happen.

2017-12-18 11:21 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

I was thinking about this and you are right, the law (as I understand it) will have a potentially negative effect on the wealthy in high tax states that itemize and have bought very expensive houses that have hefty mortgage interest payments. My bet is these folks will get their tax accounts working on this and the damage will be mitigated.

Even though I live in one of the lowest tax states, I think limiting the SALT deductions is bull. One of the strongest arguments the republicans had against the estate tax was that it double taxed the money. That argument is now officially out the window.

I spent the weekend with a stomach bug so I was watching Meet the Press (instead of out on my bike, sigh) and Todd had on Marc Short, the White House Director of Legislative Affairs. What Short said (and I am working off of memory here) was that a single mother of one making like $35K would pay $1,400 less in income tax. OK, while I understand that at this income level every bit will help, $1,400 equates to $27/week. Really hard to say that is going to make an earthshaking amount of difference in this person's life. If they really wanted to make a difference they should have reformed payroll (social security) taxes.
2017-12-18 11:32 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

I read an interesting article a while back that talked about allowing a Federal deduction for state income tax was nothing more than redistributing income from low tax states to high tax states.  Basically enabling folks in higher tax states to pay less Federal tax so others have to pick up the slack.  Kind of interesting discussion point all by itself.

My personal philosophy is that I don't think anyone should get to deduct anything and everybody should be charged the same percentage no matter how little or how much they make.  That's the only fair way to tax people, but we all know that will never happen.

Flat tax. It's the fairest and most efficient way to actually reform the tax system. The IRS could be pared down to 10% of what it is now and the IRS could be run by computer programmers and IT support. Course then we've put 70,000 people on the street, not good. Now we've come full circle and back to my original point. They'll never go flat tax because it takes the big stick out of the hands of our elected officials. The big stick that they hold over our heads to keep us begging for lower taxes and the same stick they use to smack us with. It's the biggest weapon they have, GOP and Democrats. They'll never give it up on their own accord.

2017-12-18 11:36 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Oysterboy

I was thinking about this and you are right, the law (as I understand it) will have a potentially negative effect on the wealthy in high tax states that itemize and have bought very expensive houses that have hefty mortgage interest payments. My bet is these folks will get their tax accounts working on this and the damage will be mitigated.

Even though I live in one of the lowest tax states, I think limiting the SALT deductions is bull. One of the strongest arguments the republicans had against the estate tax was that it double taxed the money. That argument is now officially out the window.

I spent the weekend with a stomach bug so I was watching Meet the Press (instead of out on my bike, sigh) and Todd had on Marc Short, the White House Director of Legislative Affairs. What Short said (and I am working off of memory here) was that a single mother of one making like $35K would pay $1,400 less in income tax. OK, while I understand that at this income level every bit will help, $1,400 equates to $27/week. Really hard to say that is going to make an earthshaking amount of difference in this person's life. If they really wanted to make a difference they should have reformed payroll (social security) taxes.

One hundred dollars a month might get either of us excited, but for that single mother; that could mean being able to afford steaks on Sunday or a private tutor. Who am I kidding, if my tax bill actually dropped $1400 bucks, I'd be tickled to death!
2017-12-18 11:38 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I was thinking about this and you are right, the law (as I understand it) will have a potentially negative effect on the wealthy in high tax states that itemize and have bought very expensive houses that have hefty mortgage interest payments. My bet is these folks will get their tax accounts working on this and the damage will be mitigated. Even though I live in one of the lowest tax states, I think limiting the SALT deductions is bull. One of the strongest arguments the republicans had against the estate tax was that it double taxed the money. That argument is now officially out the window. I spent the weekend with a stomach bug so I was watching Meet the Press (instead of out on my bike, sigh) and Todd had on Marc Short, the White House Director of Legislative Affairs. What Short said (and I am working off of memory here) was that a single mother of one making like $35K would pay $1,400 less in income tax. OK, while I understand that at this income level every bit will help, $1,400 equates to $27/week. Really hard to say that is going to make an earthshaking amount of difference in this person's life. If they really wanted to make a difference they should have reformed payroll (social security) taxes.

I don't think eliminating the SALT deduction bolsters the estate tax argument I think it makes it even harder to make because you're being taxed on the money you earn by the Federal and State Governments, and the Federal portion is even greater now.  So because you had to pay more taxes on the income you earned it's now justified for them to steal your estate when you die?

As for the additional tax refund for lower income people I'd say that money is very significant because most people in that range claim Single 0 or 1 and use their tax refund money for major purchases.  So, yes you're absolutely correct that $27 a week isn't very much but getting an additional $1400 check at tax time is pretty substantial.  My wife and I were dirt poor when George W Bush increased the child tax credit and we thought we were the richest people on the block with the extra money.  :-)

2017-12-18 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I read an interesting article a while back that talked about allowing a Federal deduction for state income tax was nothing more than redistributing income from low tax states to high tax states.  Basically enabling folks in higher tax states to pay less Federal tax so others have to pick up the slack. 

Tony, this illustrates the point pretty well, shows the gap between money paid out and paid into the system. As you can see those states with the ratio <1.0 pay more into the system than they get out (you happen to be in one of those states - thank you very much). Amongst those in the bottom half of this list are some of the highest tax states CA, MA, CT, NY, and NJ. While those within the top half are a bunch of generally lower tax states such as the tier of gulf states (LA, MS, AL, GA, TN, KY, FL). FL is #3 likely due to all the retirees we got. Undoubtedly what also helps to shape these ratios are sites of big military spending (FL,TX, SC,HI) so it's not perfect but I don't doubt its accurate.

So if the high tax states were using the SALT writeoffs to lower their tax burden, I would say it was an attempt to claw back some of their tax money that would likely go to ingrate welfare states like the one I am sitting in.

(966724856.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
966724856.jpg (58KB - 9 downloads)
2017-12-18 2:06 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I think I'm getting hosed.  I live in Nebraska.  lol

I guess I'm not really sure what that has to do with SALT exemptions and estate taxes.  If a person in say Florida is getting more "benefit" from the Federal government then I don't see why a person in California should get an extra deduction because they have high state income taxes, or a person in Nebraska should have a significant portion of their net worth confiscated versus passing it on to their children.

2017-12-18 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

I guess I'm not really sure what that has to do with SALT exemptions and estate taxes.  If a person in say Florida is getting more "benefit" from the Federal government then I don't see why a person in California should get an extra deduction because they have high state income taxes, or a person in Nebraska should have a significant portion of their net worth confiscated versus passing it on to their children.

I see your point. One counter argument is that those states, CA, MA, NY in particular have invested state money into the building of their infrastructure that has benefits for that state, this is why wages and property values are high in these states. However, that increased infrastructure has benefits that extend well beyond the borders of their states. Using your logic, the question is why should someone in Nebraska benefit from technological advances developed using California tax money, or benefit from pharmaceutics developed using state money in Massachusetts?

2017-12-18 3:02 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I see your point. One counter argument is that those states, CA, MA, NY in particular have invested state money into the building of their infrastructure that has benefits for that state, this is why wages and property values are high in these states. However, that increased infrastructure has benefits that extend well beyond the borders of their states. Using your logic, the question is why should someone in Nebraska benefit from technological advances developed using California tax money, or benefit from pharmaceutics developed using state money in Massachusetts?

OK, that does make sense and helps counter the argument about low income tax states "subsidizing" higher income tax states.

2017-12-18 3:03 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Oh hang on there a sec; you feel wages and property values are high in California because they invest their tax dollars in infrastructure? Maybe we don’t agree on what defines infrastructure because every time I visit California, I’m thankful I’m driving a rented front end and not my own. What infrastructure do they pump money into? I really can’t speak for east coast since I don’t frequent it enough to head an opinion based on what I’ve seen.
2017-12-18 4:37 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by mdg2003

Oh hang on there a sec; you feel wages and property values are high in California because they invest their tax dollars in infrastructure? Maybe we don’t agree on what defines infrastructure because every time I visit California, I’m thankful I’m driving a rented front end and not my own. What infrastructure do they pump money into? I really can’t speak for east coast since I don’t frequent it enough to head an opinion based on what I’ve seen.

California has a pretty good system of direct grants for science. They also put a lot of money into subsidizing a premier state educational system that has driven innovation there. I was raised in Massachusetts and although there the premier educational system is primarily private, I can assure you a state does not get that type of educational/R&D infrastructure without putting some skin in the game. Make no mistake about it, the fact that these states are benefitting from the innovation economy is not by accident. The key is to get other states to tap into this.

Now the roads I cannot comment on, ever been to New Orleans? Fuggedaboudit.

Edited by Oysterboy 2017-12-18 4:39 PM
2017-12-18 5:50 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Got it. I hear infrastructure, I immediately think physical structures and stuff that's built for the common use of all citizens. You're a science guy and I'm a mechanic, so we interpret things differently!

Nawlins... haven't needed to go back there since I quit drinking. I would guess the pothole I tripped over in 89 is still there, tho probably a tad deeper by now.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » New Tax Bill Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

tax reform - where do you stand? Pages: 1 2

Started by spudone
Views: 1771 Posts: 47

2017-09-28 9:12 AM tuwood

And now bill maher..

Started by Left Brain
Views: 663 Posts: 6

2017-06-05 2:47 PM Hook'em