Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2018-01-29 1:48 PM
in reply to: billeckert

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Week of 01/29 - 02/04
Originally posted by billeckert

What does everyone else have planned for the week?

I'll probably make someone cringe by saying this, but I don't really have a plan for training. I fit in my workouts when I can and I pretty much only have a 1-day plan. That is, what am I going to do today? If it fits in my schedule, then I'll do a workout. I keep my own log and alternate bike/run workouts during the week. Sunday is my typical swim day. I don't plan distances or pace/effort. I do all of that based on available free time (more time = longer workout, less = shorter) and how I feel (feeling fresh = more likely to do a harder workout, feeling fatigued = whoa, take it easy bub!).

I didn't follow a plan, per se, when training for my 70.3 last year, but I did layout monthly goals that I tried to stick to. That was mostly related to the bike. For example, I might have put something like "at least 42 mile long ride before the end of the month" for June. I just needed to make sure I was building my distance enough that I'd be able to complete the entire race for each individual sport by the time race day arrived. I suffered a couple set backs, but ultimately I reached my goal and finished the full race distance a couple weeks before race day. I guess my "plan" worked since I actually ended up doing 56 miles on back-to-back weekends after my first 70.3 was cancelled in the middle due to weather.

So, my plan was for a bike ride *today*. ;-) As much as I hate the trainer, I did stick to that plan and logged a short, but hard effort, ride. I should be good for a 5-6 mile run tomorrow.

2018-01-29 1:58 PM

Subject: RE: BE the BALL Group - OPEN
Chris,
The Tall Pines Tri looks good. Thank you for suggesting that. I think I will sign up for it. Go Race Productions does The Early Bird tri in April. It's a pool swim, but I was thinking of doing it just to get my feet wet again. But I also don't want to have the races too close together. Those two are about 5 weeks apart, but I would rather do the Tall Pines to get the OWS experience.

Bill,
I was thinking of doing the couch to Sprint and when I finish, do the Beginner Sprint. But I also think I won't get a lot out of the Couch to Sprint. So might as well just jump right in to the Beginner Sprint.

I've signed up for two 5k's so far, the Intown 10 5k, March 4th and the Atlanta Women's 5k April 14th.

I'm feeling pretty good about this year!

2018-01-29 3:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by emsley05 Chris, The Tall Pines Tri looks good. Thank you for suggesting that. I think I will sign up for it. Go Race Productions does The Early Bird tri in April. It's a pool swim, but I was thinking of doing it just to get my feet wet again. But I also don't want to have the races too close together. Those two are about 5 weeks apart, but I would rather do the Tall Pines to get the OWS experience. Bill, I was thinking of doing the couch to Sprint and when I finish, do the Beginner Sprint. But I also think I won't get a lot out of the Couch to Sprint. So might as well just jump right in to the Beginner Sprint. I've signed up for two 5k's so far, the Intown 10 5k, March 4th and the Atlanta Women's 5k April 14th. I'm feeling pretty good about this year!

Emily,

5 Weeks between races should be plenty. The Early Bird is a great race too. I've done it a couple of times. You get to swim in the UGA natatorium. It's a 50 meter pool, so that is a cool experience for most. Plus there is the stadium seating, so great for supporters to see everything during the swim. The run is a little hilly but the last bit is trail, so that is cool too. That race is also one of the collegiate series races, so lots of college teams are there...great atmosphere. 

edit: almost forgot, one good thing about Tall Pines is they do the exact same race in September called the Hot Dam. Same course, same company, just a different name. It's a great way to see how far you have improved over the course of the season.

Edited by Dominion 2018-01-29 3:35 PM
2018-01-30 7:07 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Originally posted by rjchilds8

What does everyone else have planned for the week?

I'll probably make someone cringe by saying this, but I don't really have a plan for training. I fit in my workouts when I can and I pretty much only have a 1-day plan. That is, what am I going to do today? If it fits in my schedule, then I'll do a workout. I keep my own log and alternate bike/run workouts during the week. Sunday is my typical swim day. I don't plan distances or pace/effort. I do all of that based on available free time (more time = longer workout, less = shorter) and how I feel (feeling fresh = more likely to do a harder workout, feeling fatigued = whoa, take it easy bub!).

I didn't follow a plan, per se, when training for my 70.3 last year, but I did layout monthly goals that I tried to stick to. That was mostly related to the bike. For example, I might have put something like "at least 42 mile long ride before the end of the month" for June. I just needed to make sure I was building my distance enough that I'd be able to complete the entire race for each individual sport by the time race day arrived. I suffered a couple set backs, but ultimately I reached my goal and finished the full race distance a couple weeks before race day. I guess my "plan" worked since I actually ended up doing 56 miles on back-to-back weekends after my first 70.3 was cancelled in the middle due to weather.

So, my plan was for a bike ride *today*. ;-) As much as I hate the trainer, I did stick to that plan and logged a short, but hard effort, ride. I should be good for a 5-6 mile run tomorrow.

I like it. You are definitely getting some training done and it is what works for you. I really like that you listen to your body and when it says it needs some rest you rest or go a little easier. Too many of us get caught up in gotta do what the plan says and train ourselves into a brick wall called injury. I am guilty of that and I think I am finally getting a feel for things. I no longer feel like I have to make up a training session if I miss it. I am also listening a little better and taking it easier when I am feeling the fatigue.

For me, I have a plan. I go over it every Sunday evening against work and life obligations and see if it works. I make adjustments as needed and then I try to work the plan through the week. It always gets changed though because that is just how life happens. I do my best but if I have to miss a session I just let it go.
2018-01-30 7:25 AM
in reply to: emsley05

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Originally posted by emsley05

Chris,
The Tall Pines Tri looks good. Thank you for suggesting that. I think I will sign up for it. Go Race Productions does The Early Bird tri in April. It's a pool swim, but I was thinking of doing it just to get my feet wet again. But I also don't want to have the races too close together. Those two are about 5 weeks apart, but I would rather do the Tall Pines to get the OWS experience.

Bill,
I was thinking of doing the couch to Sprint and when I finish, do the Beginner Sprint. But I also think I won't get a lot out of the Couch to Sprint. So might as well just jump right in to the Beginner Sprint.

I've signed up for two 5k's so far, the Intown 10 5k, March 4th and the Atlanta Women's 5k April 14th.

I'm feeling pretty good about this year!

I like and agree with what Chris said about the 5 weeks. 5 weeks is plenty of time if you are trained and do it right. Allow yourself some recovery time and then start back training as soon as your body is ready. The advantage to racing close together is that you don't de-train yourself and then have to ramp back up.

On the plan, you do whatever plan works best for you. You know yourself best.
2018-01-30 7:39 AM

User image

Originally posted by rjchilds8

I'll probably make someone cringe by saying this, but I don't really have a plan for training.

I like it. You are definitely getting some training done and it is what works for you. I really like that you listen to your body and when it says it needs some rest you rest or go a little easier. Too many of us get caught up in gotta do what the plan says and train ourselves into a brick wall called injury. I am guilty of that and I think I am finally getting a feel for things. I no longer feel like I have to make up a training session if I miss it. I am also listening a little better and taking it easier when I am feeling the fatigue.

For me, I have a plan. I go over it every Sunday evening against work and life obligations and see if it works. I make adjustments as needed and then I try to work the plan through the week. It always gets changed though because that is just how life happens. I do my best but if I have to miss a session I just let it go.

I guess I should also note that I'm not reaching competitive times, either. I do compete against myself and try to get better, but I'm not out there challenging for a podium spot. Would I like to have a shot at a podium spot? Absolutely. But I know I don't have the time to put into training to be able to reach that goal. And I'm fine with that. I do what I can with the limited amount of time I have. I'll be trying some new things in training this year to try to get faster. But I would need to make a big jump in order to challenge for a podium spot and I only see me being able to make some small improvements. But if I'm improving, then that's good enough for me.

2018-01-31 2:49 PM

Hi Bill and group,

I joined this group a few weeks ago but it's a good idea to provide more info!

Name: Stephanie

Story: I got into triathlons 7 years ago and did two sprints. I'd been working out with a personal trainer and was in the best shape of my life. Then I met my now-husband, who wanted to do things like eat dinner together and spend time in the evenings. I slacked on the exercise and gained weight. Now I'm 54, about 40 lbs over my weight then, and out of shape. Tri gives me something to shoot for. It still sounds very impressive to me so I'm more likely to pursue it.

Family status: married and sharing the house with 2 dogs, 5 cats and a turtle. Sometimes foster kittens.

Current training: I tried the easy workouts, but I'm not ready for some of it (like running 30 mins). Now I wing it in my workouts, running, spin bike and strength training. I have access to a pool but don't get there too often. I generally plan to work out 5 days a week and usually manage 3. There's a gym at work and one of my coworkers encourages/challenges me to use it.

Previous races: two sprints in 2010.

Upcoming races: a sprint in June.

Weight loss: currently at 178; target is 140.

What will make me a good mentee: (well, it would help if I logged in more often.) I'm inspired by other people's stories. I also respond well to challenges because I have a streak of competitiveness. Finally, I have a great fear of declining as I get older, and know the only way to prevent that is to get fit and stay fit NOW!
2018-01-31 2:56 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

Hey everyone, I have a question for the group. Running is my weakest sport. I notice when I run that my shoulders and neck hurt. I've tried to make sure I'm not turtling. Does anyone know what other flaws in form might cause that? I have naturally sloped shoulders and curved back. Maybe I'm compensating for my posture somehow?

TIA for any advice!
2018-01-31 8:34 PM
in reply to: strombo1

User image

New user
Subject: RE: BE the BALL Group - OPEN January totals
January has been one of my best months in a long time! Hoping to continue the trend. I'd like to see an additional trip to the pool and to get my bike up to 150 miles. If I can add an additional 10-15 miles on the run I'll be happy. First Tri isn't scheduled till June, so a keeping a heavier focus on the run and bike for the Long Course Powerman Duathlon in May.

Swim: 3h 04m 34s - 8025 Yd
Bike: 7h 29m 58s - 128.01 Mi
Run: 11h 20m 19s - 75.15 Mi

Scott
2018-02-01 7:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Scott, 

Those numbers look good. Much better than mine.

S: 4000y

B: 121 Miles (all trainer)

R: 48 Miles

2018-02-01 7:32 AM

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Originally posted by strombo1

Hey everyone, I have a question for the group. Running is my weakest sport. I notice when I run that my shoulders and neck hurt. I've tried to make sure I'm not turtling. Does anyone know what other flaws in form might cause that? I have naturally sloped shoulders and curved back. Maybe I'm compensating for my posture somehow?

TIA for any advice!

Running form could be it. https://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/neck-and-sho...

Tension. I sometime let my hands get clinched up and it creates tension all through my body. When I notice I am doing it i relax my hand and it helps a lot. So try to make sure that you are relaxed.

You are just getting back into this. Start slow and don't try to do too much too fast. Doing all walking to start is perfectly fine. The most important thing is that you get out there and do it on a consistent basis. Walking only for a week or two, then go to a run/walk. Like jog 1 minute, walk 4 minutes or whatever works for you.

2018-02-01 7:35 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Griffin, Georgia
@Scott/@Chris - Great work for January!
2018-02-01 8:25 AM

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

Scott, 

Those numbers look good. Much better than mine.

S: 4000y

B: 121 Miles (all trainer)

R: 48 Miles

Ditto, that. My January numbers aren't great, but I still feel pretty good about what I was able to get done. I tried in both November and December to get my training jump started again and failed both times. I only managed 9 total workouts in November and 12 in December. To jump to 19 workouts in January was such a relief and feeling of accomplishment. Now that I've got my training mojo back, I'm looking forward to February! I don't expect a huge boost to any of the 3 sports, although swimming ideally would be 4 workouts in a month. I'll also increase the duration of my trainer rides by at least 5 minutes per ride, maybe as much as 10. Mostly, I'm just looking forward to consistent training and finally seeing some of my off season/holiday weight gain coming off.

Swim: 1h 36m 25s - 4276 M (3 swims)
Bike: 3h 49m 31s - 62.62 Mi (7 trainer rides)
Run: 6h 45m 56s - 45.9 Mi (9 runs)
2018-02-03 2:58 PM
in reply to: #5232131

User image

New user
Subject: RE: BE the BALL Group - OPEN 10k race
So a little bit spontaneous race this morning. Needed 8 total miles and its 20F outside. To help me get out the door I decided to run a 10k race and add a mile warmup and cool down. Race went well. Think about 9th overall, but then I don’t believe there were 20 runners in the 10k. Finished with a time of 49:10. Mile splits were 7:50 to 8:03. Mile 4 was 8:03 and the only one in the 8s. Not sure what happened, was chasing a runner during that mile before I passed them. After that I was on my own for the remainder of the race. Now I have a time to improve upon moving forward. Goals to run a sub 45 for two 10k’s in the Duathlon in May seem lofty, but still possible with consistent training. Hope everyone is having a productive weekend!

Scott
2018-02-04 12:19 PM

User image

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

So a little bit spontaneous race this morning. Needed 8 total miles and its 20F outside. To help me get out the door I decided to run a 10k race and add a mile warmup and cool down. Race went well. Think about 9th overall, but then I don’t believe there were 20 runners in the 10k. Finished with a time of 49:10. Mile splits were 7:50 to 8:03. Mile 4 was 8:03 and the only one in the 8s. Not sure what happened, was chasing a runner during that mile before I passed them. After that I was on my own for the remainder of the race. Now I have a time to improve upon moving forward. Goals to run a sub 45 for two 10k’s in the Duathlon in May seem lofty, but still possible with consistent training. Hope everyone is having a productive weekend!

Scott

Awesome job, Scott! That's a fantastic time! As always, I'm jealous. ;-b I don't have any 10K's on my calendar this year, but I had set a goal of getting under 50:00 for a 10K. My current PR is 51:29.

This year I'm trying to improving across all 3 sports. For the run, I'm taking a big swing at my 5K time. My current PR is officially 24:09. While I've run a few races with an average pace that would beat that time, the race distances weren't the full 5K and I can't bring myself to accept an extrapolated PR. My goal time for 2018 is to try to get under 22:00, so I'm aiming to shave more than 2:00 off my current PR. I have a tune-up next weekend as part of my running club's grand prix series, but I'm targeting my 5K on St. Patrick's Day weekend as my best early opportunity to get there.

Good luck on reaching your sub 45 goal. Git 'r' done!
2018-02-04 4:24 PM

I haven't done much this weekend. I test drove a few new road bikes this weekend, does that count? Haha. I'm probably going with a Specialized Ruby. The Trek Domane comes in a very close second.

I'm starting my training plan tomorrow. I decided to go with the Beginner Sprint. I'm going to have to YouTube a lot of the swim drills. I've always been a good recreational swimmer, but I've never had any training. So I may have a lot of questions for you guys. For tomorrow it says for the warm up to, alternate slow-fast pacing. Does that mean swim one lap fast, one lap slow?

Thanks!

Emily

2018-02-05 5:29 PM

User image

Griffin, Georgia
What a weekend. Hope everyone is doing okay. I was planning on dialing it back this weekend and week but I really got the opportunity for that. Friday at lunch my throat started feeling funny and by Friday night I had a fever and was feeling some tightness in the chest. Spent the weekend resting. Feeling a little better today but definitely not ready for any training. Looks like this week will be a little more dialed back than I thought. No real plans for the week other than to make sure I get better by next week. May do some walking and light bike when I feel better.
2018-02-05 5:45 PM

User image

Griffin, Georgia

I haven't done much this weekend. I test drove a few new road bikes this weekend, does that count? Haha. I'm probably going with a Specialized Ruby. The Trek Domane comes in a very close second.

I'm starting my training plan tomorrow. I decided to go with the Beginner Sprint. I'm going to have to YouTube a lot of the swim drills. I've always been a good recreational swimmer, but I've never had any training. So I may have a lot of questions for you guys. For tomorrow it says for the warm up to, alternate slow-fast pacing. Does that mean swim one lap fast, one lap slow?

Thanks!

Emily

Getting a new bike is always fun. Just pick the one that fits you and that you are comfortable on.

On the swim, that is it. Don't worry too much about how fast, just a little faster will do for now. I would even say that if you warmed up at a nice easy pace you would be fine. I looked at the scheduled workout. Distance seems a bit long. Just do what you can. If you got a total of 1/3 to 1/2 of what it says you would be doing good. Let us know how it goes.
2018-02-05 7:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Hope you are feeling better soon. No need to try to rush back. Plenty of time to get it going once you are feeling better. I have plenty of experience with this, as i get sick almost every year sometime during Jan or Feb. (not yet this year...knock on wood.) With two shcool aged kids and wife who works in the school system, I really have no chance of staying healthy. Too many germs coming home every day!

2018-02-05 7:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Edit: Double Post.

Edited by Dominion 2018-02-05 7:15 PM
2018-02-06 9:16 AM

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Originally posted by Dominion

Hope you are feeling better soon. No need to try to rush back. Plenty of time to get it going once you are feeling better. I have plenty of experience with this, as i get sick almost every year sometime during Jan or Feb. (not yet this year...knock on wood.) With two shcool aged kids and wife who works in the school system, I really have no chance of staying healthy. Too many germs coming home every day!

Thanks Chris. I always seem to get a little sick this time of year too but this one is a little worse. Feeling much better today. Definitely going to take it slow. Would much rather lose a week and come back ready then to try to start back too soon or too hard (to make up for the lost time which we all know you just cannot do) and end up losing multiple weeks to just some really crappy training. Knocking on wood for you too.

2018-02-06 11:59 AM

I'm so glad you're feeling better! This time of year is the worst for sickness.

Last nights workout went very well. The strength went well but the swim went better then planned. I was nervous as this was my first day back in the pool since the end of July. I felt like I was going very slow ( I mean I am a slow swimmer right now) but it turns out I did better then last year. My pace averaged 2'48/100 yards, but last year it was 3'11. So somehow I got better at swimming. Hopefully I keep improving. I thought the distance seemed high, I got in 1,125 yards in.

For today's workout it has me on the trainer, but I don't have one for my bike. So I was going to jump on the Expresso bike at the gym. I don't know if you guys are familiar with them, but it's basically a spin bike that has a screen and you can select a course you want to do. It simulates hills and such, so it's better then nothing. And I can clip in, which helps a lot.

For Saturdays swim, it has me using paddles. Do you guys recommend any kind?

Thanks! Hope everyone has a great week!

Emily
2018-02-06 2:55 PM

Lol sorry - my name is Stephanie.
2018-02-06 3:07 PM

So I'm getting kinda discouraged. I was getting stronger, I thought, did the spin bike a few times and started hitting the treadmill. I like weight training but have to encourage myself to do endurance. I can only do 2 min walk/1 min run. That's ok, it will get better. But of course Fri evening after I had run at lunchtime, bam - plantar fasciitis. I iced, rolled, wore my shoes with better support, and it feels a lot better. Now I'm afraid to run though.

My chiropractor is a sports medicine guy. I think I'll ask him to evaluate my form. My shoes are new Champion runners and very light. I should go to get professionally fitted but can't afford that level of shoe now. I'll add some inserts for now.

AND regardless how much better I think I'm doing, as soon as I do any different kind of training like a class, I feel like doodoo.

Oh well. Just complaining. I know what I need to do, just gotta do it! That's what we athletes do, right?
2018-02-06 5:26 PM

User image

Griffin, Georgia

I'm so glad you're feeling better! This time of year is the worst for sickness.

Last nights workout went very well. The strength went well but the swim went better then planned. I was nervous as this was my first day back in the pool since the end of July. I felt like I was going very slow ( I mean I am a slow swimmer right now) but it turns out I did better then last year. My pace averaged 2'48/100 yards, but last year it was 3'11. So somehow I got better at swimming. Hopefully I keep improving. I thought the distance seemed high, I got in 1,125 yards in.

For today's workout it has me on the trainer, but I don't have one for my bike. So I was going to jump on the Expresso bike at the gym. I don't know if you guys are familiar with them, but it's basically a spin bike that has a screen and you can select a course you want to do. It simulates hills and such, so it's better then nothing. And I can clip in, which helps a lot.

For Saturdays swim, it has me using paddles. Do you guys recommend any kind?

Thanks! Hope everyone has a great week!

Emily

Nice swim! Glad it went well. No recommendations on the paddles. I think whatever you can find easily will work.

Bike workout sounds good. They key is getting in there and getting something done.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BE the BALL Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 26776 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 9238 Posts: 78

2018-08-28 12:53 PM riles32807