Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2018-02-06 5:33 PM
in reply to: strombo1

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Subject: RE: BE the BALL Group - OPEN
Originally posted by strombo1

So I'm getting kinda discouraged. I was getting stronger, I thought, did the spin bike a few times and started hitting the treadmill. I like weight training but have to encourage myself to do endurance. I can only do 2 min walk/1 min run. That's ok, it will get better. But of course Fri evening after I had run at lunchtime, bam - plantar fasciitis. I iced, rolled, wore my shoes with better support, and it feels a lot better. Now I'm afraid to run though.

My chiropractor is a sports medicine guy. I think I'll ask him to evaluate my form. My shoes are new Champion runners and very light. I should go to get professionally fitted but can't afford that level of shoe now. I'll add some inserts for now.

AND regardless how much better I think I'm doing, as soon as I do any different kind of training like a class, I feel like doodoo.

Oh well. Just complaining. I know what I need to do, just gotta do it! That's what we athletes do, right?

Not sure what kind of shoes those are but I would really take a look at what kind of shoes you need for your feet. You can use the Shoe Dog at roadrunnersports.com to get an idea of what you need. This will help you find the right type of shoe wherever you are. I would say take it easy and just walk for a while as you get started back to let everything get adjusted. That is not an easy walk. You should definitely be pushing the pace. Also, definitely talk to your chiropractor. That should help too.

2018-02-06 8:34 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
I should go to get professionally fitted but can't afford that level of shoe now.

I'm not sure what counts as expensive to you, so please know that I don't mean to offend anyone. I can tell you that getting fitted professionally for shoes shouldn't be an experience that will break the bank. First, it seems like all of the shoe stores will fit you for free. They will want to make sure to put you in the right shoe. Today's better running shoes will run in the $100-$120 range. Relative to the cost for some other equipment for triathlon (bike, wetsuit, etc.), that isn't terribly expensive. I'm not saying it is cheap, either. I usually buy one new pair every year, but your mileage may vary. Also, if you belong to a club, see if they have a discount at any stores. Both my tri club and running club offer discounts at local stores. In my case, both club associated stores give a 15% discount.
2018-02-06 10:57 PM
in reply to: #5232131

Thanks Bill and rjchilds8 for the encouragement and advice. Great idea about looking for discounts - Blue Cross Blue Shield's fitness program may have some, not to mention AARP! ?? I'll let you know how it goes.
2018-02-08 10:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user

, Wisconsin
NAME: Becky

STORY:
F/41/Wisconsin - Married with two children 10 and almost 7. I work full time, it's mostly a desk job.
I grew up running distance in track and lifeguarding. I kept active through college via intramurals. Did my first tri at 27 (I think) - didn't have a "real" job after college and needed to win at something, and loved it. I wasn't really hooked at the time. Started my second running life at 30, was starting to go longer (3 races at 13.1 or +) but pretty much dropped it when I had my 2nd child at 35. I've done a couple other sprints in there, scattered.
I am recovering from depression and consider it an open topic... hasn't always been open but am happy to share what I know. No one should have to worry about social stigma on top of trying to get on top of it IMO.
Between depression and weight loss I need to move more - desk job has me parked pretty hard these days. I tore my knee meniscus last year and am still healing a bit - so will be "running" on the elliptical until the sore spots are gone, and/or I've lost some weight. I've always been cleared for "activity as tolerated." While it has been slow to heal, it *is* getting better (thankfully!).

CURRENT TRAINING:
Volume/base. I would love to try to move to Olympic or half by the end of the year but it really depends on how much running I can tolerate.

PAST RACES:
3x Sprints
5ks, 2x10k, 2x13.1mi, 1x15mi

2018 PLANNED RACES:
June - Elkhart Lake Sprint/Oly
Sept - local super sprint

WEIGHTLOSS:
I've always been heavy/muscular. Post college I gained a bit... after having my son I dropped extra weight to get to "normal" range. Haven't gotten back since having my daughter and really need to buckle down, to be merciful on my knees when I get back to running.
CW: 180 Short term goal: 160 Long term: 140-150

2018 MAIN GOAL:
Lose weight, get an active habit, get my knee healthy. I can tend to be competitive...

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:
I want a place that I can check into 3-4 times a week. I might drop by daily. I've ran and swam quite a bit so can help there. I will need help with bike details, it is by far my weakest area. I finally have a road bike so look forward to being speedier on that leg.

Edited by Just4Kix 2018-02-08 10:39 AM
2018-02-08 11:13 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: Getting faster on the treadmill
I'm not sure if I had officially stated it on this group before, but in other circles I have stated my goal or running a 5K in under 22:00. My previous "official" PR has been 24:09, but I've run races that were just short of 3.10 miles with a pace that would have had me finish with a faster time than that. I just won't allow myself to call those races a PR. My last "5K" measured 3.03. My time of 22:47 would have projected to something like 23:19 for 3.10. But for me to count it, I need it to be the full distance. I'm a stickler like that.

I've been adding some fartlek/speed type work into my treadmill workouts. For example, I did a recent 5 mile run where I did 3/4 mile at a more moderate pace, then cranked up the last 1/4 at a much faster pace, getting progressively faster each mile, and ultimately running the last 1/4 mile at 9 mph (6:40/mi) pace. I did a time trial back in mid-January on my treadmill and ran 3.1 in 23:06. My treadmill times have typically been very close to my road times, but of course running outside is different. I am planning to run a 5K with my running club this weekend and hopefully that gives me a good test for where I'm at.

My question is if anyone has advice on a treadmill workout to help me improve my 5K speed. Living in New England, I don't have access to an outdoor track that would make running intervals feasible. It's either too cold or they are covered in snow and ice. I have 5Ks planned in March and in April and I'd love to make some significant progress towards my sub-22 goal. But I've felt like I would ultimately need to do some interval training to finally get to that level. Does anyone have any suggestions or go to treadmill workouts for this?

Thanks,
Randy
2018-02-08 12:19 PM

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Getting faster on the treadmill
Randy,

I would suggest adding incline to your treadmill runs. I typically set mine at 2% for all my runs on the mill. I find it seems to simulate running outside rather well. Also, keep doing the intervals. I don’t do any speed work outside in the winter. I recently ran 4 miles on the mill with a 1 mile warmup and then 4x1 minutes at a challenging pace and 1 minute recovery followed by 2 miles at moderate pace. Keep adding speed workouts like you’re doing. My perspective you should be able to hit your goal, just keep working at it.

Scott

2018-02-08 6:44 PM
in reply to: Just4Kix

User image

New user
Originally posted by Just4Kix

STORY:
F/41/Wisconsin - Married with two children 10 and almost 7. I work full time, it's mostly a desk job.
I grew up running distance in track and lifeguarding. I kept active through college via intramurals. Did my first tri at 27 (I think) - didn't have a "real" job after college and needed to win at something, and loved it. I wasn't really hooked at the time. Started my second running life at 30, was starting to go longer (3 races at 13.1 or +) but pretty much dropped it when I had my 2nd child at 35. I've done a couple other sprints in there, scattered.
I am recovering from depression and consider it an open topic... hasn't always been open but am happy to share what I know. No one should have to worry about social stigma on top of trying to get on top of it IMO.
Between depression and weight loss I need to move more - desk job has me parked pretty hard these days. I tore my knee meniscus last year and am still healing a bit - so will be "running" on the elliptical until the sore spots are gone, and/or I've lost some weight. I've always been cleared for "activity as tolerated." While it has been slow to heal, it *is* getting better (thankfully!).

Welcome Becky! Working. Back into a consistent training program and avoiding injury can be challenging. I’ve been dealing with plantar fasciitis on and off for about a year. I think I finally have it under control. Icing my feet after running and biking along with stretching seems to have it under control.

Scott
2018-02-08 11:07 PM

User image

Griffin, Georgia

STORY:

CURRENT TRAINING:
Volume/base. I would love to try to move to Olympic or half by the end of the year but it really depends on how much running I can tolerate.

PAST RACES:
3x Sprints
5ks, 2x10k, 2x13.1mi, 1x15mi

2018 PLANNED RACES:
June - Elkhart Lake Sprint/Oly
Sept - local super sprint

WEIGHTLOSS:
I've always been heavy/muscular. Post college I gained a bit... after having my son I dropped extra weight to get to "normal" range. Haven't gotten back since having my daughter and really need to buckle down, to be merciful on my knees when I get back to running.
CW: 180 Short term goal: 160 Long term: 140-150

2018 MAIN GOAL:
Lose weight, get an active habit, get my knee healthy. I can tend to be competitive...

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:
I want a place that I can check into 3-4 times a week. I might drop by daily. I've ran and swam quite a bit so can help there. I will need help with bike details, it is by far my weakest area. I finally have a road bike so look forward to being speedier on that leg.

Welcome to the group Becky! The elliptical is a great place to train for the run when you have injuries. I did almost all of my run training for my IM last year on the elliptical. I was really surprised at how good I felt on the run. The few things that I found worked really good for me were:

1. Do not worry about what the mileage says on the elliptical. It just never seems to match real world or even treadmill mileage.
2. Plan your workouts for a specific length of time. That time should match what is called for in the workout or how long (time wise) you would have run at your typical speed.
3. Keep your cadence at 90 left foot revolutions per minute. This will keep your legs in the habit of turning over at the cadence that you need to be at.
4. Adjust the intensity on the elliptical to get your heart rate into the range it should be in for the workout while keeping your cadence the same. So, if you are working at a lower zone then lower the intensity. If you need to raise the zone, keep the cadence the same and increase the intensity and your heart rate will go up.

Keep us informed about your training. If you don't log your workouts on here yet you should start doing that. You should also open up your training log so that we can look at your training and give you some support and encouragement.

2018-02-08 11:15 PM

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Originally posted by rjchilds8

I'm not sure if I had officially stated it on this group before, but in other circles I have stated my goal or running a 5K in under 22:00. My previous "official" PR has been 24:09, but I've run races that were just short of 3.10 miles with a pace that would have had me finish with a faster time than that. I just won't allow myself to call those races a PR. My last "5K" measured 3.03. My time of 22:47 would have projected to something like 23:19 for 3.10. But for me to count it, I need it to be the full distance. I'm a stickler like that.

I've been adding some fartlek/speed type work into my treadmill workouts. For example, I did a recent 5 mile run where I did 3/4 mile at a more moderate pace, then cranked up the last 1/4 at a much faster pace, getting progressively faster each mile, and ultimately running the last 1/4 mile at 9 mph (6:40/mi) pace. I did a time trial back in mid-January on my treadmill and ran 3.1 in 23:06. My treadmill times have typically been very close to my road times, but of course running outside is different. I am planning to run a 5K with my running club this weekend and hopefully that gives me a good test for where I'm at.

My question is if anyone has advice on a treadmill workout to help me improve my 5K speed. Living in New England, I don't have access to an outdoor track that would make running intervals feasible. It's either too cold or they are covered in snow and ice. I have 5Ks planned in March and in April and I'd love to make some significant progress towards my sub-22 goal. But I've felt like I would ultimately need to do some interval training to finally get to that level. Does anyone have any suggestions or go to treadmill workouts for this?

Thanks,
Randy

Awesome goal! Do the work that is needed to get there and eventually you will make it there. I do not incorporate a lot "speed" work into my training as I think that is when I get injured. When I do I usually do 3 x 3'(2') at zone 5. that keeps it long enough to do some real work but not so long that I feels like I am doing damage. I would say that you can do the same interval ork on the treadmill as you can outside. Good luck and keep us updated on how things go.
2018-02-09 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Does anyone have any suggestions or go to treadmill workouts for this? Thanks, Randy

Randy,

Try this one. It seems simple enough, but is a very tough workout if you challenge yourself with the starting pace.

Threshold 20

After an adequate warm-up:

Begin at a fast but sustainable pace and increase .1 every 3 minutes until reaching 20 minutes total run time. Adjust starting pace accordingly.

Example:

Start at 8.5. Increase every 3 minutes until reaching 9.1 at 18 minutes. Hold until 20 minutes total run time is reached.

For an advanced option, repeat the entire set after a 3 to 5 minute walk/jog recovery.

2018-02-09 9:25 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Does anyone have any suggestions or go to treadmill workouts for this? Thanks, Randy

Randy,

Try this one. It seems simple enough, but is a very tough workout if you challenge yourself with the starting pace.

Threshold 20

After an adequate warm-up:

Begin at a fast but sustainable pace and increase .1 every 3 minutes until reaching 20 minutes total run time. Adjust starting pace accordingly.

Example:

Start at 8.5. Increase every 3 minutes until reaching 9.1 at 18 minutes. Hold until 20 minutes total run time is reached.

For an advanced option, repeat the entire set after a 3 to 5 minute walk/jog recovery.

Thanks, Chris. This is similar to some of my runs, but I don't start out quite as fast. I like to do runs where I'm progressively getting faster. But I might start at something like 6.6 mph and increase by 0.1 every half mile (so every 4 to 4 1/2 minutes). By the time I finish a 5 mile run, my pace has ramped up to 7.5 mph. This workout is almost like what I did a few weeks ago and called it a "time trial". I started somewhere around 7.8 or 7.9 mph and increased every half mile (~3:45-3:35) for the full 5K, finishing around 8.4 mph. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to start at 8.5, but maybe the next time I do that workout I will start at 8.1 or 8.2 and see how it goes. How often is a good frequency to work this kind of run into my schedule? I only run 2-3 times per week.

2018-02-09 9:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

The 8.5 is just an example. You may have to do the workout a few times to really dial in where you need to start.  Remember this is designed to be speed work. So there is no  need for it to be a 5 mile workout or only increase every half mile. You want to to make sure you are good and warmed up, maybe an easy mile or so, then be ready to run fast for 20 minutes. If you do this right, you will be just holding on the last 3 or 4 minutes.

Edit: Once per week is plenty for this type of workout. It is meant to be short but intense.

Edited by Dominion 2018-02-09 9:32 AM
2018-02-09 10:45 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

The 8.5 is just an example. You may have to do the workout a few times to really dial in where you need to start.  Remember this is designed to be speed work. So there is no  need for it to be a 5 mile workout or only increase every half mile. You want to to make sure you are good and warmed up, maybe an easy mile or so, then be ready to run fast for 20 minutes. If you do this right, you will be just holding on the last 3 or 4 minutes.

Edit: Once per week is plenty for this type of workout. It is meant to be short but intense.

Understood on all fronts. I more meant to point out that the progressive nature of the workout was similar to something I was already doing. But clearly at an easier pace! ;-) I would definitely keep it shorter. I tend to do my workouts by distance rather than time, but 20:00 is pretty close to where I want to end up, so it's about the same either way. I like doing the full 5K so I know it is a pace I can maintain for the distance. I generally don't bother with a warm up, but I know I would with this kind of workout. When I did my "time trial" back in January, I did a half mile at a fairly comfortable pace before doing the hard workout. As long as time permits, I could extend that to a full mile.

Thanks again!
2018-02-10 5:46 PM

User image

Subject: Fail!
Big flop today at my 5K. I'm waiting for official results, but I would guess somewhere around 24:45. I didn't start my watch until a little bit into the race, but I also didn't stop it immediately after crossing the finish line. My watch I believe said 24:28, so adjusting for the poor timing effort before and after, I'm guessing in the 24:45-25:00 range.

I think my biggest mistake might have actually been not taking the day before the race off. I did a bike workout yesterday and while it wasn't the hardest I've ever done I could already feel some fatigue in my quads. In terms of the race itself, I went out way too hard at the start of the race and paid the price. My first mile was 7:15, but the next 2 were something like 8:23 and 8:29. Of course, a big part of that was because I slowed to a walk at least twice (probably once during each mile). I didn't want to do it, but I knew I had blown myself out early on and needed to try to get my breath back.

I guess technically not a horrible finish, but not what I've come to expect of myself and definitely not what I was hoping for based on recent training. Maybe a little better pacing early on and I wouldn't have slowed so much or had to walk. And definitely not doing a bike workout the day before is a good idea. I was shocked when my quads cramped after the finish. That NEVER happens to me after a 5K! LOL A clear sign they were overworked. Good lessons to have learned now since this was technically only a tune-up. I've got a 5K in March and another in April, both also club grand prix races, so those will represent a chance to redeem myself. ;-)
2018-02-10 7:23 PM

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Subject: RE: Fail!

Big flop today at my 5K. I'm waiting for official results, but I would guess somewhere around 24:45. I didn't start my watch until a little bit into the race, but I also didn't stop it immediately after crossing the finish line. My watch I believe said 24:28, so adjusting for the poor timing effort before and after, I'm guessing in the 24:45-25:00 range.

I think my biggest mistake might have actually been not taking the day before the race off. I did a bike workout yesterday and while it wasn't the hardest I've ever done I could already feel some fatigue in my quads. In terms of the race itself, I went out way too hard at the start of the race and paid the price. My first mile was 7:15, but the next 2 were something like 8:23 and 8:29. Of course, a big part of that was because I slowed to a walk at least twice (probably once during each mile). I didn't want to do it, but I knew I had blown myself out early on and needed to try to get my breath back.

I guess technically not a horrible finish, but not what I've come to expect of myself and definitely not what I was hoping for based on recent training. Maybe a little better pacing early on and I wouldn't have slowed so much or had to walk. And definitely not doing a bike workout the day before is a good idea. I was shocked when my quads cramped after the finish. That NEVER happens to me after a 5K! LOL A clear sign they were overworked. Good lessons to have learned now since this was technically only a tune-up. I've got a 5K in March and another in April, both also club grand prix races, so those will represent a chance to redeem myself. ;-)

Not what you wanted but still not bad. Taking the lessons from this race and applying them to your training and your next race is a big step forward no matter what the outcome of this race was. Keep working the interval/speed work once a week and I bet things will improve. You can also practice the pacing (starting out slower) during your other run sessions. You seem to have a pretty good feel for your RPE so just continue to dial that in so that you know that if you feel x you are running at pace y. Good luck with it.
2018-02-10 7:52 PM
in reply to: billeckert

User image

New user

, Wisconsin
Thanks for the welcome, scottjjmtri99! I hear plantar fascitis can be a bugger, wishing continued healing for you!

I've got a 5K in March and another in April, both also club grand prix races, so those will represent a chance to redeem myself. ;-)

Sorry the 5k didn't go as planned! Yes, tapering can be an art.

Have you read much Jack Daniels, PhD? He built his PhD on understanding the energy systems with running, and has continued to churn out winning college xc teams wherever he goes. It's not a short answer but check out his book Daniels Running Formula, it's a cornerstone in the running community.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F0X7U2S/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
I recall threshold running will serve you well (3x1mi@Threshold pace with half time jog recovery between) to get that 5k speedier, but I don't recall more detail e.g. if that length/duration is because I prefer my pain in longer doses ;P or if running say a 6x800m will help similarly. The important detail is to run at the correct pace to stimulate where your body is NOW. The book is solid (no I'm not affiliated (ha!), just a big fan). Training with Daniels' philosophy got me down to a 23:30 at about 20mpw. (At the very top of my "normal" weight range,160-162.)
These workouts are quite doable on a TM - I break it out by time and TM pace, jot it all on a notecard, then stick the notecard on the TM when I go to the gym. If you'd like further details I'm at your service.

Thanks, billeckert! That is exactly what I've been doing on the elliptical. Winter is a great time for duration and HR training... just instead of being on snow outside I'm inside. Thanks for the news that it's possible to come out the other side of heavy elliptical use ok! That's my biggest nervousness at this point.

My log should be open now. I haven't been using it much, but then again it's not missing much. I'm using a custom-brew plan from here for the June sprint/oly (aiming olympic). Going to have a lot of brick days due to convenience, until the workout duration become unwieldy. Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Got in for a longer bike a shorter 'run' last night. Plugged into some inspiring YouTube to pass the time. My bum did get pretty sore around 25 minutes on the bike or so... I know it will get better. It'll be nice when it does. :p

2018-02-11 12:17 AM

I followed your recommendations and saw my sports med dr. He examined my feet and shoes, and did some functional testing, He told me everything he liked about the shoes I was wearing and everything he didn't like. He gave advice on what to look for in a shoe, and echoed your suggestion to go to a serious shoe store to get fitted.

Kudos to Georgina, the employee at Fleet Feet who worked with me. I ended up with a pair of Asics gel and a pair of Superfeet insoles. Plus the Asics was 30% off! The shoes are, however, screaming orange. (We put them under the blacklight and they glowed like lamps.)

All psyched with new shoes, I headed out the door this afternoon. It was an experiment, so I didn't go for distance, just a mile run/walk. My heel is acting up a little now, but it did feel like the shoes and insoles were helping a lot.

Now there's no excuse for not going for a run!
2018-02-11 8:09 PM

User image

New user

, Wisconsin
it did feel like the shoes and insoles were helping a lot.

Woohoo! That's a good feeling!
2018-02-12 7:16 AM

User image

Have you read much Jack Daniels, PhD? He built his PhD on understanding the energy systems with running, and has continued to churn out winning college xc teams wherever he goes. It's not a short answer but check out his book Daniels Running Formula, it's a cornerstone in the running community.

I haven't read anything Jack Daniels has written, but I've read enough articles in magazines to have seen his name multiple times and know about him. For now, I think I'm going to have to start doing some more running outside so that I encounter some hills and get my legs back under me. The temps in the 2 week forecast look promising, so that should not be an issue. I'll also mix in the treadmill workout like Chris suggested and try to do that once a week.

I don't think I really need a taper, per se, for a 5K. But I think I should have done a better job listening to my body. I went from almost zero training in November and December (roughly only 1 run per week and nothing else) to suddenly averaging 4.5 to 5 workouts per week. I should have taken stock of how my legs felt and known enough to just take the day before the race off as a rest day. In part, I think I knew that this was just a tune up race, so I wasn't as concerned about the final result. If this had been the March race, I never would have done that. I know that much for a fact.

It was good, even if it felt like a fail at the time. I think I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to do during the next month and what I'll do as the March race day approaches. Thanks everyone!
2018-02-13 3:24 PM

it did feel like the shoes and insoles were helping a lot.

Woohoo! That's a good feeling!

Yes it is! Today I did my first 30 min run/walk on the treadmill. 2.2 or something miles. My longest run was 7 minutes, which is almost double what I had done before. Man, these sound like such baby steps, but for me it's huge!

@Becky:

Between depression and weight loss I need to move more - desk job has me parked pretty hard these days.

Becky, I'm in the same boat. The exercise is making a big difference, but I still struggle with diet issues because of the important role that ice cream plays in depression treatment. A big contributor to the depression is also fatigue due to other medical issues. The exercise increases my energy level, which is one way it helps the depression. Do you have a friend to keep you accountable?
2018-02-17 6:15 PM

User image

Griffin, Georgia
MIA this week, sorry!!. Work has been crazy along with the rest of life. Battling the achilles issues again. Looks like I will be back on the elliptical. Just trying to keep some bike going and got one swim in this week. Let all of us know how you are doing. If there is some topic (training and race nutrition, race pacing, etc.) you want to discuss let us know. This next week looks a little better so should be checking in every day.

2018-02-18 8:31 AM

User image

New user
Still chugging along following my plan as best I can. Usually have a swim and run planed for Friday’s, but cant seem to fit the swim in so I move it Saturday and swap my long run to Sunday and ride the bike instead. Swimming and then running don’t jive well with my legs. So I missed the part in the plan that had aa 15 minute run added to the 60 minute ride. I ended up doing all 3 disciplines yesterday with a long run planned for later today. I have Monday off of work so i’ll likely swim again to have two swims this week.

Work starts to get in the way next weekend as I have to travel for training for a week. Will fit in what I can per my plan. Probably a good week for an easy less mileage week anyway. The weather looks to be warming up in the forecast so I hope to get outside more if the weather truly does improve. Hope everyone is doing well, have a great Sunday!

Scott
2018-02-18 8:04 PM

Hey All!

My training is going fairly well. I've really improved on my swim. I started two weeks ago swimming at 2.48 a 100 yards, yesterday I was down to 2.19 and keeping it up for 1500 yards. I have incorporated a training snorkel the last two swims, but I'm still very happy with my progress. And now I can focus on my stroke.

Today my boyfriend and I went on our first ride outside. My training plan had me do a hilly route and hills we did. So then I went and bought a new bike, well ordered it. I finally decided on a Specialized Ruby Elite. I'm very excited to get it, especially with the weather finally warming up.

My weakest one is the run. Its the hardest for me and I am making strides, but I'm just not good at it. And since it's the last one, it's easy for me to give up and walk because I'm over it.Hopefully I continue to improve. I have a 5k in the next few months.

I do have a question about nutrition. The weekends usually have the longer training sessions, so I like to go as soon as I wake up to make sure I get them done. I always have a protein shake before I go. This past weekend I got really nauseous on the bike, so when I was going to the pool I got a powerade and felt better. Should I be drinking more sports drinks or eating a little something? I don't like to eat a lot before or during a session because I feel bloated and I get heartburn. I'm burning 1300-1400 calories on these longer workouts so I feel like I should eat something but I don't know what.

Thanks! Hope everyone has a great week!
2018-02-19 5:32 PM
in reply to: emsley05

User image

Originally posted by emsley05

Hey All!

My training is going fairly well. I've really improved on my swim. I started two weeks ago swimming at 2.48 a 100 yards, yesterday I was down to 2.19 and keeping it up for 1500 yards. I have incorporated a training snorkel the last two swims, but I'm still very happy with my progress. And now I can focus on my stroke.

I always have a protein shake before I go ... Should I be drinking more sports drinks or eating a little something? I don't like to eat a lot before or during a session because I feel bloated and I get heartburn.

Great job on the swim improvement! Keep up the good work.

I'd be curious to hear what others do for their training, but I keep it light in terms of eating before a workout (even if it's a long one). I typically mimic what I would do on race day, which almost always means my morning coffee, a toasted bagel with peanut butter, and a banana. I'm pretty sure I stuck with that even for my half Ironman last year. I kept a pretty good amount of nutrition on my bike. Carbs and electrolytes in my drinks, gels, and chews. During my half Ironman, I did take a couple pieces of banana at a couple of the aid stations during the run, but that was the only solid food I had during the race.

I also have a pretty strong stomach that can take a lot and I've only ever had one issue with stomach distress during a race. I don't seem able to drink Coke during a race. I've tried it a few times during training and made the mistake of doing so during my half Ironman and it just does not agree with my stomach during intense exercise. I won't make that mistake again! It didn't wreck my race, but I felt pretty crappy for a while after drinking it. Otherwise, I haven't had any issues, whether it was gels, chews, or solid food. If your stomach is sensitive, then you may have to go a different route.
2018-02-19 8:06 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

Still chugging along following my plan as best I can. Usually have a swim and run planed for Friday’s, but cant seem to fit the swim in so I move it Saturday and swap my long run to Sunday and ride the bike instead. Swimming and then running don’t jive well with my legs. So I missed the part in the plan that had aa 15 minute run added to the 60 minute ride. I ended up doing all 3 disciplines yesterday with a long run planned for later today. I have Monday off of work so i’ll likely swim again to have two swims this week.

Work starts to get in the way next weekend as I have to travel for training for a week. Will fit in what I can per my plan. Probably a good week for an easy less mileage week anyway. The weather looks to be warming up in the forecast so I hope to get outside more if the weather truly does improve. Hope everyone is doing well, have a great Sunday!

Scott

Looks like some good work going on. Keep it up.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BE the BALL Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27044 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 9385 Posts: 78

2018-08-28 12:53 PM riles32807