Other Resources The Political Joe » Franken Gone Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2017-12-07 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: Franken Gone
Al Franken just announced he will be stepping down in the near future. Once he had like 7 or 8 accusers he had to go. Dems taking the high road here - be ready for e beefed up war on women campaign with Trump and Moore as battering rams. Gonna be fun...

2017-12-07 12:53 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Franken Gone
I never cared for him as comedian but I'm laughing now.

Come next year no one is going to remember or care about Franken or Moore. Do you really think that someone in Arizona, when looking at congressional candidates, is going to remember, consider and weigh what Moore did 30 years ago or that Franken play grabass with some woman? I know it makes for good talking points now, "Oh, you are gonna regret this!" People are stupid.....and selfish....and are gonna vote for the candidate who they think with will best serve them!!

Ever notice EVERYBODY is for term limits.....uh....but not for MY senator. Many want us to build more nuclear power plant instead of petro-fire plants....uh...but don't built it in MY state. Same is true with stuff like this. We need to throw the bums out, the whole lot of them!! Uh...but not MY bum.

All politics is local. (I think Trump coined that phrase) ;-)
2017-12-07 1:07 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Al Franken just announced he will be stepping down in the near future. Once he had like 7 or 8 accusers he had to go. Dems taking the high road here - be ready for e beefed up war on women campaign with Trump and Moore as battering rams. Gonna be fun...

I think you're 100% on point here. The Ds can take the perceived high road now that they've done some light housekeeping. I see them tying Trump and Moore into a neat little package and detonating a nuke under it. They even allowed Franken to fire the first salvo in his resignation speech. CNN of course dutifully picks up and reports the party narrative.

(Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 1.07.01 PM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 1.07.01 PM.png (1432KB - 0 downloads)
2017-12-07 1:20 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
Dog, it will only work for so long. The shelf-life of anything in politics is a few months. Bring up Moore next year and very few people will even know who you are talking about. And the sure a heck aren't going to decide who they want representing them in Congress based on what happened in Alabama last year!

Reps tried to bring up Clinton getting head in the Oval office and sodomizing a 22 yo intern with a cigar and dems just shrugged. Clinton was their boy and they just bit hard, swallowed (unlike ML) and carried on with the mission. This will be no different. For Pete's sake, Trump was elected POTUS with numerous allegations out there!!

Also, Franken and Corey (or whatever his name is in the House) won't be the last two caught in sexual misconduct. Within a few months there will be someone else accused of doing something the ought not be doing with a woman.....remember, men are pigs. Well, not us.....other men.
2017-12-07 1:25 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy Al Franken just announced he will be stepping down in the near future. Once he had like 7 or 8 accusers he had to go. Dems taking the high road here - be ready for e beefed up war on women campaign with Trump and Moore as battering rams. Gonna be fun...

Agree, they had to ditch Franken in order to continue the "war on women attacks".  I consider him a Martyr for the cause.

2017-12-07 1:26 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rogillio Reps tried to bring up Clinton getting head in the Oval office and sodomizing a 22 yo intern with a cigar and dems just shrugged.

Meh, I know this gets brought up and dismissed all the time. As a woman, I feel there's a difference between consensual sexual acts and sexual harassment/abuse. One might be a failing in morals, but not a crime, the other is a crime.

I watched a fascinating TED talk by Monica Lewinsky the other day. She now describes the situation as "falling in love with her boss." She was an adult, and it was consensual. Quite a bit different than Franken and Moore. 

Will any of this matter? Not sure. I've got whiplash right now from trying to keep up with the news this week. 

2017-12-07 1:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by Rogillio

Dog, it will only work for so long. The shelf-life of anything in politics is a few months. Bring up Moore next year and very few people will even know who you are talking about. And the sure a heck aren't going to decide who they want representing them in Congress based on what happened in Alabama last year!

Reps tried to bring up Clinton getting head in the Oval office and sodomizing a 22 yo intern with a cigar and dems just shrugged. Clinton was their boy and they just bit hard, swallowed (unlike ML) and carried on with the mission. This will be no different. For Pete's sake, Trump was elected POTUS with numerous allegations out there!!

Also, Franken and Corey (or whatever his name is in the House) won't be the last two caught in sexual misconduct. Within a few months there will be someone else accused of doing something the ought not be doing with a woman.....remember, men are pigs. Well, not us.....other men.

Again, Bless your heart Rog. Don't misinterpret a watershed moment in our society. If guys are doing this stuff - and I have no doubt some are - then they need to be called out. Real men do not act like this, period. Franken is a martyr, but it is a good cause.

And do not estimate that this is political dynamite. No one is going to forget Roy Moore, no one. If he wins he will be the GOP poster boy for disrespecting women plastered on every billboard not in Alabama. Trump right behind.

Edited by Oysterboy 2017-12-07 1:38 PM
2017-12-07 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by Rogillio Dog, it will only work for so long. The shelf-life of anything in politics is a few months. Bring up Moore next year and very few people will even know who you are talking about. And the sure a heck aren't going to decide who they want representing them in Congress based on what happened in Alabama last year! Reps tried to bring up Clinton getting head in the Oval office and sodomizing a 22 yo intern with a cigar and dems just shrugged. Clinton was their boy and they just bit hard, swallowed (unlike ML) and carried on with the mission. This will be no different. For Pete's sake, Trump was elected POTUS with numerous allegations out there!! Also, Franken and Corey (or whatever his name is in the House) won't be the last two caught in sexual misconduct. Within a few months there will be someone else accused of doing something the ought not be doing with a woman.....remember, men are pigs. Well, not us.....other men.

Maybe you live in such a deep red area you don't get many political attack ads. But I'm willing to bet that in every contested seat in 2018, Democrats will be reminding voters how that the "GOP endorsed a pedophile" and playing the old grab em by the p****y audio. 

2017-12-07 1:47 PM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Stacers

Originally posted by Rogillio Reps tried to bring up Clinton getting head in the Oval office and sodomizing a 22 yo intern with a cigar and dems just shrugged.

Meh, I know this gets brought up and dismissed all the time. As a woman, I feel there's a difference between consensual sexual acts and sexual harassment/abuse. One might be a failing in morals, but not a crime, the other is a crime.

I watched a fascinating TED talk by Monica Lewinsky the other day. She now describes the situation as "falling in love with her boss." She was an adult, and it was consensual. Quite a bit different than Franken and Moore. 

Will any of this matter? Not sure. I've got whiplash right now from trying to keep up with the news this week. 

Just for clarification, the Moore "accusers" were late teen girls that he dated consensually at the time.  They were of legal age of consent.  I can't remember the exact quote, but one of the accusers said something along the lines of her thinking of dating Moore as as a badge of honor for most of her life until she started re-thinking it today.
There were, I believe two, accusers who claimed they were assaulted and both have been pretty resoundingly proven as false based on what's been reported.  The yearbook signature of one was a blatant and obvious fabrication that used his signature from her divorce proceedings in 1999.  She didn't even remove the initials of his clerk in the fabrication.
The other one, which was 14, lied about working at where she said the assault took place and didn't even describe the events in a way that would fit with that building.  She was taking garbage out behind the building and it was dark and he pulled me in his car (paraphrasing).  Multiple employees who worked at the restaurant during that time stated that they didn't hire 14 year olds and the garbage was on the side next to a lit highway with lots of traffic.  There was no way a car could fit and park behind the building, etc.  They also stated that none of them had ever heard of or met this girl who supposedly worked there.

This is why we have a legal system in place to protect people from the mob and give them due process in defending themselves in a court of law in front of an impartial jury.  With the mob mentality of these politically timed disclosures such as the Moore case, we're no better than the raging mob pulling the innocent black kid from his bedroom and hanging him from a tree with no more evidence than somebody said he did something.

2017-12-07 1:55 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Originally posted by Rogillio Dog, it will only work for so long. The shelf-life of anything in politics is a few months. Bring up Moore next year and very few people will even know who you are talking about. And the sure a heck aren't going to decide who they want representing them in Congress based on what happened in Alabama last year! Reps tried to bring up Clinton getting head in the Oval office and sodomizing a 22 yo intern with a cigar and dems just shrugged. Clinton was their boy and they just bit hard, swallowed (unlike ML) and carried on with the mission. This will be no different. For Pete's sake, Trump was elected POTUS with numerous allegations out there!! Also, Franken and Corey (or whatever his name is in the House) won't be the last two caught in sexual misconduct. Within a few months there will be someone else accused of doing something the ought not be doing with a woman.....remember, men are pigs. Well, not us.....other men.

Maybe you live in such a deep red area you don't get many political attack ads. But I'm willing to bet that in every contested seat in 2018, Democrats will be reminding voters how that the "GOP endorsed a pedophile" and playing the old grab em by the p****y audio. 

I think the DNC is overplaying their hand quite a bit because of the way they're using alleged victims as political weapons.  Waiting until the most politically opportune time to parade alleged victims in front of cameras to try and win elections they otherwise could not win.
It's so obvious that even the most ignorant of voters can see through it.
Trumps audio was released at the most damaging time possible and a parade of women who alleged he assaulted him were waiting in line.  Then, when the political hit job didn't work they all disappeared without a peep.  I don't remember all of them, but similar to the Moore case, I recall several were blatantly proven false.

Unfortunately when there are legitimate victims of powerful people they have a much harder time getting their message heard as a result.

P.S. I'm am glad you're coming around to the fact that the DNC has no platform to run on other than tear down the other guy/gal.  It's going to be a really rough couple of election cycles until the DNC figures out people don't want what they're selling.

2017-12-07 2:25 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by tuwood

I think the DNC is overplaying their hand quite a bit because of the way they're using alleged victims as political weapons.  Waiting until the most politically opportune time to parade alleged victims in front of cameras to try and win elections they otherwise could not win.
Trumps audio was released at the most damaging time possible and a parade of women who alleged he assaulted him were waiting in line.  Then, when the political hit job didn't work they all disappeared without a peep.  I don't remember all of them, but similar to the Moore case, I recall several were blatantly proven false.

Unfortunately when there are legitimate victims of powerful people they have a much harder time getting their message heard as a result.

P.S. I'm am glad you're coming around to the fact that the DNC has no platform to run on other than tear down the other guy/gal.  It's going to be a really rough couple of election cycles until the DNC figures out people don't want what they're selling.

It is true, the DNC has to get a spokesman who is pitching something that appeals to the masses. But honestly Tony, the Trump/Moore combo, not good for your side.

2017-12-07 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

But for clarification, the Moore "accusers" were late teen girls that he dated consensually at the time.  They were of legal age of consent.  I can't remember the exact quote, but one of the accusers said something along the lines of her thinking of dating Moore as as a badge of honor for most of her life until she started re-thinking it today. 

There were, I believe two, accusers who claimed they were assaulted and both have been pretty resoundingly proven as false based on what's been reported.  The yearbook signature of one was a blatant and obvious fabrication that used his signature from her divorce proceedings in 1999.  She didn't even remove the initials of his clerk in the fabrication.
The other one, which was 14, lied about working at where she said the assault took place and didn't even describe the events in a way that would fit with that building.  She was taking garbage out behind the building and it was dark and he pulled me in his car (paraphrasing).  Multiple employees who worked at the restaurant during that time stated that they didn't hire 14 year olds and the garbage was on the side next to a lit highway with lots of traffic.  There was no way a car could fit and park behind the building, etc.  They also stated that none of them had ever heard of or met this girl who supposedly worked there.

This is why we have a legal system in place to protect people from the mob and give them due process in defending themselves in a court of law in front of an impartial jury.  With the mob mentality of these politically timed disclosures such as the Moore case, we're no better than the raging mob pulling the innocent black kid from his bedroom and hanging him from a tree with no more evidence than somebody said he did something.

To clarify, he has a handful of accusers that were of the legal age of consent but who are alleging that they did not, in fact, consent to his behavior. He has multiple accusers who report denying his advances and being touched regardless. The one who said it seemed like a badge of honor was one of the accusers who was 14 at the time. Moore's lawyers have done a terrific job discrediting them by refuting the account of the one with the yearbook, but he has not actually addressed the majority of them beyond claiming he does not know them.

And yes, none of it has been tried in a court of law. Unfortunately, as we have discussed here previously, until pretty much this year many women would be terrified and ashamed to accuse a man of Moore's stature of these acts, and by many of the victims' accounts Moore was not afraid to use his stature as a threat. Some of these women look like Grandmas now - they are risking a lot by opening themselves up to the media spotlight, and a country full of people who automatically seem to assume that the majority of sexual assault victims are lying. I can't imagine what fresh hell it might be for them to be dealing with this at this point in their lives. I guess we will agree to disagree, but I seriously doubt all nine of them are lying.

Ivanka Trump - "There's a special place in hell for people who prey on children. I've yet to see a valid explanation, and I have no reason to doubt the victims' accounts." Apparently Trump is miffed with her for saying this...

2017-12-07 2:33 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

It is true, the DNC has to get a spokesman who is pitching something that appeals to the masses. But honestly Tony, the Trump/Moore combo, not good for your side.

Unfortunately though, that is a two way street.

2017-12-07 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Well, one of those guys just lost his job and another is in jail. So maybe it wasn't ok cause they're democrats?

Moore dated high school girls when he was a middle aged man. You're like 40-ish, right? Picture yourself going to a high school five years ago and picking up girls. Tell me if that thought doesn't feel a little creepy. 

2017-12-07 2:42 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

But for clarification, the Moore "accusers" were late teen girls that he dated consensually at the time.  They were of legal age of consent.  I can't remember the exact quote, but one of the accusers said something along the lines of her thinking of dating Moore as as a badge of honor for most of her life until she started re-thinking it today. 

To clarify, he has a handful of accusers that were of the legal age of consent but who are alleging that they did not, in fact, consent to his behavior. He has multiple accusers who report denying his advances and being touched regardless. The one who said it seemed like a badge of honor was one of the accusers who was 14 at the time. Moore's lawyers have done a terrific job discrediting them by refuting the account of the one with the yearbook, but he has not actually addressed the majority of them beyond claiming he does not know them.

And yes, none of it has been tried in a court of law. Unfortunately, as we have discussed here previously, until pretty much this year many women would be terrified and ashamed to accuse a man of Moore's stature of these acts, and by many of the victims' accounts Moore was not afraid to use his stature as a threat. Some of these women look like Grandmas now - they are risking a lot by opening themselves up to the media spotlight, and a country full of people who automatically seem to assume that the majority of sexual assault victims are lying. I can't imagine what fresh hell it might be for them to be dealing with this at this point in their lives. I guess we will agree to disagree, but I seriously doubt all nine of them are lying.

Ivanka Trump - "There's a special place in hell for people who prey on children. I've yet to see a valid explanation, and I have no reason to doubt the victims' accounts." Apparently Trump is miffed with her for saying this...

I'm with you and I also agree these women are getting drug through all kinds of crap.  For me, I honestly have a huge problem with the timing.  Not the waiting for 30 years part, but the coming out at exactly the day after Moore can't be replaced on the ballot and being represented by Gloria Allred who is a known DNC hack with a very checkered past.  To me, that wreaks of political hit job and cements my position of innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Perhaps its as simple as these women legitimately going to Allred and she then shifted it into a hit job and timed it to be most politically advantageous to the DNC.  If that's the case, if the allegations are true, then IMHO these women are being victimized yet again by being used as political pawns.

I do love that women are being emboldened to come forward.  This I think we both agree on is a great thing for our nation.

2017-12-07 2:48 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Well, one of those guys just lost his job and another is in jail. So maybe it wasn't ok cause they're democrats?

Moore dated high school girls when he was a middle aged man. You're like 40-ish, right? Picture yourself going to a high school five years ago and picking up girls. Tell me if that thought doesn't feel a little creepy. 

He was 33 (i think) and I believe it was in the 70's.  Our culture was much different back then when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Today, I'm absolutely with you that it's creepy as hell and I don't like it one bit.  Then again our culture today still glorifies the old rich guys that date 18 year olds so who knows.  Maybe we haven't changed that much.

Just out of curiosity I looked up age of consent in Nebraska.  It's 17.  Yeesh
Then again I would be seriously creeped out about a guy my age (44) dating an 18, 19, or 20 year old too.  lol

2017-12-07 2:52 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
"none of it has been tried in a court of law"

This is what bothers me. People are willing to ruin this man's life over allegations. These things all allegedly happened 30++ years ago and are virtually impossible to definitively prove or disprove. Presumably this is why we have a statue of limitations on most crimes.

I heard a story about a great uncle of mine in Louisiana back in the 1930s. He was sitting on a jury trial of some black man who had supposedly committed some heinous crime. Members of great uncle's family asked him how the trail was going and he replied, "Oh, we're gonna hang his black azz". They said, "But you haven't even heard the case, how do you know he is guilty?" He said, "Oh he is guilty, they wouldn't have arrested him if he wasn't guilty!"

Ashamed to say this he was in my family....but I was not blood related to him. He was my great aunt's husband. What's the point of having a judicial system if we are going to 'convict' or' exonerate' someone based on what gets reported in the news?

My best guess is there is some truth and that Moore dated teens when he was in his 30s. That he forced himself on a woman does not pass the sniff test. He was has been a military officer and was working a DA (I think) in a powerful position. Not the kind of 'profile' generally associated with someone forcing himself on someone. I also believe stories tend to get exaggerated and details forgotten or added (made up) to fill in the blanks. How much detail can you remember about something that happened 35 years ago? And even if you THINK you remember it vividly I guarantee there is someone who was there that remembers things a little (or maybe a lot) different than you do.
2017-12-07 2:55 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

He was 33 (i think) and I believe it was in the 70's.  Our culture was much different back then when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Today, I'm absolutely with you that it's creepy as hell and I don't like it one bit.  Then again our culture today still glorifies the old rich guys that date 18 year olds so who knows.  Maybe we haven't changed that much.

Just out of curiosity I looked up age of consent in Nebraska.  It's 17.  Yeesh
Then again I would be seriously creeped out about a guy my age (44) dating an 18, 19, or 20 year old too.  lol

You can get married at 16 with parental consent. You can get married at 14 with a court order.

Who knew?!
2017-12-07 3:02 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Unchained At Last, a nonprofit I founded to help women resist or escape forced marriage in the United States, spent the past year collecting marriage license data from 2000 to 2010, the most recent year for which most states were able to provide information. We learned that in 38 states, more than 167,000 children — almost all of them girls, some as young 12 — were married during that period, mostly to men 18 or older.

Geeze, this is rather disconcerting. I wish I had not even started digging.
2017-12-07 4:20 PM

Master
, California

All I can say is the only smart and safe thing for the Minnesota governor to do, is nominate a woman to replace him.

2017-12-07 9:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by spudone

All I can say is the only smart and safe thing for the Minnesota governor to do, is nominate a woman to replace him.

I forget her name, but I saw something earlier today saying who the governor would likely appoint and it would be a woman. Think it was the Lt. Governor

Edited by tuwood 2017-12-07 9:58 PM

2017-12-08 9:11 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by mdg2003

I think you're 100% on point here. The Ds can take the perceived high road now that they've done some light housekeeping. I see them tying Trump and Moore into a neat little package and detonating a nuke under it. They even allowed Franken to fire the first salvo in his resignation speech. CNN of course dutifully picks up and reports the party narrative.

As predicted.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/12/07/democrats-forced-franken-...
2017-12-08 9:54 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

As predicted.

I read this earlier this morning and, while it sounds good, in a practical sense, what does it mean. Set off a nuke under Trump? When? In the mid-terms? Nothing new since he was elected. They will look like fools bringing up stuff that that has been in the news for years. Franken? So this was the democrat that molested woman. Yeah, let's use him as the poster child for my you should vote democrat. "Democrats may molest woman but the party replaces them with other democrats!" Roy Moore? Oh, that senator from Alabama that got elected even though there were allegation against him? Damn Alabamians, they will vote for any republican.

BTW, since the civil war the democrats have ruled the roost in the deep south. They blamed the republican for freeing the slaves and they hated republicans! In many local elections there were only democrats on the ballot because no republican had a chance. They used to refer to southern democrats as "yellow dawg democrats" because, the theory went, you could put a yellow dawg on the ballot and democrats would vote for him! Well times have changed and I guess the people who remember the civil war are all dead and the children and grandchildren of those who hated republican are mostly gone too. Now Alabama is a red state with the exception of the populations centers like BHM, Montgomery and Mobile. The entire rest of the state is red.

Anyway, people will little remember and long forget (with allegories to Abe) the special election of 2017 and that fact that a red state elected a questionable republican.

All the politics aside, if the economy keep growing and we keep getting jobs growth reports and the stock market continues to soar and manufacturing jobs start growing and unemployment stays low, income taxes are down.....no one is gonna give a tinker's damn about Franken and Moore.

2017-12-08 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

As predicted.

BTW, since the civil war the democrats have ruled the roost in the deep south. They blamed the republican for freeing the slaves and they hated republicans! In many local elections there were only democrats on the ballot because no republican had a chance. They used to refer to southern democrats as "yellow dawg democrats" because, the theory went, you could put a yellow dawg on the ballot and democrats would vote for him! Well times have changed and I guess the people who remember the civil war are all dead and the children and grandchildren of those who hated republican are mostly gone too. Now Alabama is a red state with the exception of the populations centers like BHM, Montgomery and Mobile. The entire rest of the state is red.

Dude, You need to read up on the Southern Strategy. Google Lee Atwater. It's pretty simple actually.
2017-12-08 10:23 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

As predicted.

Dude, You need to read up on the Southern Strategy. Google Lee Atwater. It's pretty simple actually.

It really doesn't matter. I think it is good the dem have found some comfort in all this and now feel self-righteous and think that is going to lead them onward to victory in the mid-terms and other elections. So when the next allegation against a congressman comes out, I expect them to expel or pressure them to resign. I think it is a winning strategy for dems!

BTW, you should see the barrage of constant negative adds about Moore on TV here in Alabama! Seldom a work about Stone.....all negative about Moore. If the polls are to be believed, Moore will still win on Tuesday. I'll let you know Tues morning how the polls look. Special election historically have very low turn out. The run-off with Moore and Strange, I was the ONLY voter in there while I voted. Contrast this to the presidential election where there are several hundred in at the same time. BTW, my voting place is also our church which I always thought was funny. Not the sanctuary, the activity center/gym.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Franken Gone Rss Feed  

of 2