BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-10-26 6:01 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED
Laura and Jen if you want a less expensive Garmin option and you aren't planning on doing a full IM then look at the Forerunner 735.

It has Tri mode as well as run, indoor run, pool and open water swim and indoor and out door bike. It has wrist HR which I have found to be pretty accurate but if you want to you can also pair it with a strap.

I love mine and wear it as my every day watch because it is small enough. the only reason I say about the full is because I'm not sure the battery life would be sufficient. But saying that after a 5:42 marathon last weekend it still had about 45% battery.

2018-10-26 7:29 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
BTW, Stacey, where are you in Australia? Mom and I are in the process of planning a trip to the Melbourne area toward the end of February (after Challenge Wanaka).
2018-10-26 9:47 PM

User image

Originally posted by jmkizer

It's less than one month until Black Friday. What gear are you hoping will got on sale this year?

In the past, I've purchased a power meter and a smart trainer. Personally, I'm kind of hoping that Garmin will have a sale. I think that my 920XT is on it's last legs. If the 935 goes under a certain price that I have in mind, I may get it.

What's on your radar?

My 920 died a slow painful death last week. I borrowed my brother-in-laws 935 while he was out of town and not using it and really liked it. I was going to buy one on Black Friday if there was a good sale. However, right after I finished my watchless run tonight, the Ring doorbell alerted me that someone was at the door. Inside an Amazon box was a new 935. I shall let you know how I like it after my brick and swim tomorrow!
2018-10-27 5:50 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo

It's less than one month until Black Friday. What gear are you hoping will got on sale this year?

In the past, I've purchased a power meter and a smart trainer. Personally, I'm kind of hoping that Garmin will have a sale. I think that my 920XT is on it's last legs. If the 935 goes under a certain price that I have in mind, I may get it.

What's on your radar?

My 920 died a slow painful death last week. I borrowed my brother-in-laws 935 while he was out of town and not using it and really liked it. I was going to buy one on Black Friday if there was a good sale. However, right after I finished my watchless run tonight, the Ring doorbell alerted me that someone was at the door. Inside an Amazon box was a new 935. I shall let you know how I like it after my brick and swim tomorrow!

woo hoo!

2018-10-27 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

What's on your radar?

Damn, I need to get a Ring doorbell!

2018-10-27 8:35 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Originally posted by amd723

What's on your radar?

Our new house is a "smart" house and came with Alexa as well. I promise I did not walk by and say, "Alexa, please buy a Garmin 935".

I highly doubt she would have ordered the correct item. When we ask her to turn on living room lights she starts playing the soundtrack to "Hamilton".

I shall let you all know how I like the 935.

2018-10-27 10:07 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

What's on your radar?

Our new house is a "smart" house and came with Alexa as well. I promise I did not walk by and say, "Alexa, please buy a Garmin 935". I highly doubt she would have ordered the correct item. When we ask her to turn on living room lights she starts playing the soundtrack to "Hamilton". I shall let you all know how I like the 935.
That is funny

2018-10-27 10:09 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Atlantia

What's on your radar?

I'm ready to upgrade to a real multisport watch. My Vivoactive 1 is EOL, hasn't had a firmware update in who knows how long, and can't count laps to save its life. Plus it doesn't really do open water. I'm hoping for some sweet sweet Garmin sales so I can get one of the fancier models. If the lotto had gone my way, a smart trainer would be of interest as well. But it didn't, so I will wait until next year. I do also need to get a smattering of cold weather cycling gear. What's the minimum I can get away with? And for those thinking I would repurpose my running gear....no dice, I'm afraid. Some weight gain means I need to replenish for all the sports.

Fingers crossed for a Garmin sale!

Cold winter cycling gear -- I assume that you have shorts that you like. If that is the case, get some tights from Performance. I'd also recommend a cycling vest if you don't already have one and a jacket (softshell, breathable). I wear inexpensive (unpadded) tights over my regular shorts. 

• arm warmers
  • vest (Louis Garneau)
  • tights
  • softshell jacket (this might work, I have an REI brand softshell jacket that is good to the low/mid 40s if I put a long sleeved tee underneath, YMMV
  • heavier jacket depending on what temperature your cutoff is and how the softshell works out for you. 

ETA

ETA2

• Defeet Blaze wool socks (not sure but the Defeet Woolie Boolie Yeti might be the new model)

Thanks  for this. I am attempting to become more of an "all weather" rider. I have some cold weather gear, but I am not set up for cold AND rain like I rode in last weekend. That was pretty miserable (even though all the mud was fun).

2018-10-27 12:03 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by ceilidh

What's on your radar?

I'm ready to upgrade to a real multisport watch. My Vivoactive 1 is EOL, hasn't had a firmware update in who knows how long, and can't count laps to save its life. Plus it doesn't really do open water. I'm hoping for some sweet sweet Garmin sales so I can get one of the fancier models. If the lotto had gone my way, a smart trainer would be of interest as well. But it didn't, so I will wait until next year. I do also need to get a smattering of cold weather cycling gear. What's the minimum I can get away with? And for those thinking I would repurpose my running gear....no dice, I'm afraid. Some weight gain means I need to replenish for all the sports.

Cold winter cycling gear -- I assume that you have shorts that you like. If that is the case, get some tights from Performance. I'd also recommend a cycling vest if you don't already have one and a jacket (softshell, breathable). I wear inexpensive (unpadded) tights over my regular shorts. 

• arm warmers
  • vest (Louis Garneau)
  • tights
  • softshell jacket (this might work, I have an REI brand softshell jacket that is good to the low/mid 40s if I put a long sleeved tee underneath, YMMV
  • heavier jacket depending on what temperature your cutoff is and how the softshell works out for you. 

ETA

ETA2

• Defeet Blaze wool socks (not sure but the Defeet Woolie Boolie Yeti might be the new model)

Thanks  for this. I am attempting to become more of an "all weather" rider. I have some cold weather gear, but I am not set up for cold AND rain like I rode in last weekend. That was pretty miserable (even though all the mud was fun).

Thank you, Janyne! Questions! What's the deal with arm warmers? I know you can take them on and off in transitional weather, but that seems like such a short period of time. Can they be used for layering as well?
And toe covers vs shoe covers...I have only have tri shoes, no road cycling shoes. They are very ventilated. Should i go ahead and get the full shoe covers? In general i run warm, but cold feet make everything miserable.

Robin, I am so with you about not being prepared for the rain and mud. Boooo!
2018-10-28 8:45 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Expert
I bought a 935 when my Suunto died the week of my half. I really like the 935, and there is still a lot of stuff I need to learn about it.
2018-10-28 9:02 AM

User image

Originally posted by ceilidh

What's on your radar?

• arm warmers
  • vest (Louis Garneau)
  • tights

ETA

ETA2

Thank you, Janyne! Questions! What's the deal with arm warmers? I know you can take them on and off in transitional weather, but that seems like such a short period of time. Can they be used for layering as well?
And toe covers vs shoe covers...I have only have tri shoes, no road cycling shoes. They are very ventilated. Should i go ahead and get the full shoe covers? In general i run warm, but cold feet make everything miserable.

Robin, I am so with you about not being prepared for the rain and mud. Boooo!

I do use my arm warmers as layers or I will use them with a sleeveless vest. I will also just use my Zoot arm coolers as arm warmers on the days it's too cold for nothing but too warm for the arm warmers.

I just use toe covers with my tri shoes. The cover a lot more than just the toes and work very well. My left foot does not do well in the cold and these work very well for it. If anything, my feet start getting toasty with these and I usually will take them off if the weather warms up.

2018-10-28 5:08 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

BTW, Stacey, where are you in Australia? Mom and I are in the process of planning a trip to the Melbourne area toward the end of February (after Challenge Wanaka).
sorry Karen we live on the other side of the country, in Perth
2018-10-28 8:42 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Oh well...Clearly I need to take a closer look at the map!
2018-10-29 9:37 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by melbo55

Oh, man(atees), you are making my brain hurt!  Decisions, decisions!

Long story short: there's a race I want to do but it has a qualifying restriction of sub-7 HIM.  I went 7:12 at LP 70.3 The 'wish-list'  (that's not actually on my blog wish-list, LOL) race people aren't answering my inquiry if 7:12 on a hillier, 'harder' 70.3 is sufficient and the hefty registration fee is non-refundable if they discover you don't meet the qualifying standard.  So I'm looking for a less hilly than LP half for 2019 to hopefully make the cut for the wish-list race in 2020.  

I really would love to race with the manatees but it sounds like the bike elevation is similar to LP although Chatt's run is possibly flatter?

A friend suggested Muncie in July - has anyone ever raced there?

Edited to add: I'm not afraid of the hills, I prefer a rolly, hilly race to dead flat, I'm simply looking for a race at which I can make the sub-7 qualification.  Further edit:  I think a dead flat bike would be pure torture so please don't suggest any such races.  The Oly at Williamsburg was too flat IMO.

I have not raced Muncie. It has a reputation for being very hot though. How are you in heat? It looks like Muncie is slow swim, fast bike, medium run and is overall a medium fast course and seems to come in faster than Chattanooga (and it's probably way closer to you!)

Dated but perhaps relevant: http://www.thewellinformedtriathlete.com/fastest-slowest-half-ironman-triathlons/

I don't run so well in heat, which is definitely a consideration.  A faster bike will be negated if I have to creep through a hot run.

2018-10-29 9:45 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

What's on your radar?

I was thinking the same thing! 

2018-10-29 9:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Remember my grand plan to do my first half marathon at Rock n Roll in March? Very much backing out of that. I have spent the last two weeks doing a long run at such an excruciatingly slow pace. Like, I can walk faster than this pace. But I'm committed to stick to it, and see how the Zone 2 training actually pans out.
But! That means I've also spent the last two weekends fretting hardcore over the cutoff times for RnR. It made for really unpleasant runs, and yesterday I thought to myself, "do I really want to spent the rest of the fall and winter feeling like this every weekend?" The answer, of course, is no. But the Team Z 5k doesn't really hold an appeal, so what to do?
So glad you asked: https://www.ex2adventures.com/trail-running/spring-backyard-burn-tra...
Spring trail running series!! 5 or 10 mile options for each event, and 5 events between March and May. THIS I am genuinely excited about. I don't know exactly which one(s) I would do until they put up the 2019 schedule. But they're all local trails so I can train on them if I want. Weeeeeeeee! So pumped!

Edited by Atlantia 2018-10-29 9:51 AM

2018-10-29 9:55 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Janyne has a good list of gear together.  I will add that clothing choices tend to differ depending on the temperature.  For instance, 55*F and above I'll consider arm warmers (or a LS cycling jersey, lightly lined), vest and toe covers (with wool-type socks) and knickers or knee warmers.  Colder than 55 and I'm looking at shoe covers and lined LS cycling jersey (they come in various weights of lining) and lined pants/legwear.  And yes, cover the head and ears especially the colder it gets.

The colder it is, the more I think about layering but also not overdressing.  Long-fingered gloves are a must for cold weather, and they, too, come in various levels of insulation, for lack of a better word, depending on temperature.  I think I have 3 different long gloves, LOL!  It ends up being a bit of trial-and-error to find what works for you under what conditions.  Sunny and 50 will feel different than cloudy and 50.  I note in my blog what clothing I wore as well as the temperature and weather conditions and jot down my comfort level - too hot; cold feet but everything else OK; just right.  That way I'll know for next time/next year since I sometimes forget what works in what situation.

2018-10-29 9:56 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Atlantia Remember my grand plan to do my first half marathon at Rock n Roll in March? Very much backing out of that. I have spent the last two weeks doing a long run at such an excruciatingly slow pace. Like, I can walk faster than this pace. But I'm committed to stick to it, and see how the Zone 2 training actually pans out. But! That means I've also spent the last two weekends fretting hardcore over the cutoff times for RnR. It made for really unpleasant runs, and yesterday I thought to myself, "do I really want to spent the rest of the fall and winter feeling like this every weekend?" The answer, of course, is no. But the Team Z 5k doesn't really hold an appeal, so what to do? So glad you asked: https://www.ex2adventures.com/trail-running/spring-backyard-burn-tra... Spring trail running series!! 5 or 10 mile options for each event, and 5 events between March and May. THIS I am genuinely excited about. I don't know exactly which one(s) I would do until they put up the 2019 schedule. But they're all local trails so I can train on them if I want. Weeeeeeeee! So pumped!

Ooooh, that sounds fun!  Great motivation for you, yay!!

2018-10-29 10:45 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Janyne has a good list of gear together.  I will add that clothing choices tend to differ depending on the temperature.  For instance, 55*F and above I'll consider arm warmers (or a LS cycling jersey, lightly lined), vest and toe covers (with wool-type socks) and knickers or knee warmers.  Colder than 55 and I'm looking at shoe covers and lined LS cycling jersey (they come in various weights of lining) and lined pants/legwear.  And yes, cover the head and ears especially the colder it gets.

The colder it is, the more I think about layering but also not overdressing.  Long-fingered gloves are a must for cold weather, and they, too, come in various levels of insulation, for lack of a better word, depending on temperature.  I think I have 3 different long gloves, LOL!  It ends up being a bit of trial-and-error to find what works for you under what conditions.  Sunny and 50 will feel different than cloudy and 50.  I note in my blog what clothing I wore as well as the temperature and weather conditions and jot down my comfort level - too hot; cold feet but everything else OK; just right.  That way I'll know for next time/next year since I sometimes forget what works in what situation.

I only where the booties if it's really cold out. The toe covers plus winter socks keep me comfortable most of the winter. I much prefer it to be above 40 to ride (really, 45+ is better)

I'd say full finger gloves, toe covers/socks, and ear covering are a must.

What to Wear - Cycling Edition

25-35 - heavy weight tights over shorts, LS T, heavy Gore Phantom jacket, winter gloves with liners, zip up booties

35-40 - Performance brand tights over shorts, LS T, red Gore phantom jacket, winter gloves and liners (maybe booties, maybe toe warmers)

Above 40 is Novara jacket

40-50 - tights over shorts, LS T, Novara jacket, fingerless gloves w/liners or full finger mtb gloves (or arm warms with vest if it is warming up quickly)

Above 50 is arm warmers

50-55 - shorts, SS jersey with arm warmers, vest, mtb socks

My Novara jacket is a breathable cycling jacket (this model)
The Gore Phantom jacket is also soft shell but has "windstopper" so it's super warm (this model)

2018-10-29 11:08 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I only where the booties if it's really cold out. The toe covers plus winter socks keep me comfortable most of the winter. I much prefer it to be above 40 to ride (really, 45+ is better)

25-35 - heavy weight tights over shorts, LS T, heavy Gore Phantom jacket, winter gloves with liners, zip up booties

35-40 - Performance brand tights over shorts, LS T, red Gore phantom jacket, winter gloves and liners (maybe booties, maybe toe warmers)

40-50 - tights over shorts, LS T, Novara jacket, fingerless gloves w/liners or full finger mtb gloves (or arm warms with vest if it is warming up quickly)

Above 50 is arm warmers

The Gore Phantom jacket is also soft shell but has "windstopper" so it's super warm (this model)

At first I thought this what to wear when cycling in cold weather didn’t apply to me, but I just realized with Choo 70.3 in May, I will be cycling outside during the winter. So, I may actually need warm clothes! Not the really cold stuff of course!

2018-10-29 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia Remember my grand plan to do my first half marathon at Rock n Roll in March? Very much backing out of that. I have spent the last two weeks doing a long run at such an excruciatingly slow pace. Like, I can walk faster than this pace. But I'm committed to stick to it, and see how the Zone 2 training actually pans out. But! That means I've also spent the last two weekends fretting hardcore over the cutoff times for RnR. It made for really unpleasant runs, and yesterday I thought to myself, "do I really want to spent the rest of the fall and winter feeling like this every weekend?" The answer, of course, is no. But the Team Z 5k doesn't really hold an appeal, so what to do? So glad you asked: https://www.ex2adventures.com/trail-running/spring-backyard-burn-tra... Spring trail running series!! 5 or 10 mile options for each event, and 5 events between March and May. THIS I am genuinely excited about. I don't know exactly which one(s) I would do until they put up the 2019 schedule. But they're all local trails so I can train on them if I want. Weeeeeeeee! So pumped!

Those races look really fun! But, do you really have to drop the HM? I understand the concern about cut off times, but as your run fitness improves zone 2 should become faster. In fact, if zone 2 is so, so slow feeling for you now are you sure the pace is accurate? That said, I LOVE trail races, so if I had to chose between a 10 mile trail run and a road HM, I’d pick the trail!

2018-10-29 2:38 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Those races look really fun! But, do you really have to drop the HM? I understand the concern about cut off times, but as your run fitness improves zone 2 should become faster. In fact, if zone 2 is so, so slow feeling for you now are you sure the pace is accurate? That said, I LOVE trail races, so if I had to chose between a 10 mile trail run and a road HM, I’d pick the trail!

I am so glad you are excited about trail running! Like Ann-Marie, I would also pick trail over road, but at the same time, why not trying both?
One of the ways to run faster is to run very, very slow. That's how I've been training, and it works (you run more often, but at a very, very, very slow pace). It also decreases chances of injuries. Hopefully, if it feels slow now, in few months will help you enough to complete HM in a great pace, and a great shape.
2018-10-29 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Above 50 is arm warmers

At first I thought this what to wear when cycling in cold weather didn’t apply to me, but I just realized with Choo 70.3 in May, I will be cycling outside during the winter. So, I may actually need warm clothes! Not the really cold stuff of course!

Ann-Marie, my cold weather road cycling gear resembles a parka!  You should have seen me layering up for the 33* that was Piggy's the last 2 years  Lucky for me it was a mtb event, so my chances of moving rapidly were pretty small. 

2018-10-29 5:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Remember my grand plan to do my first half marathon at Rock n Roll in March? Very much backing out of that. I have spent the last two weeks doing a long run at such an excruciatingly slow pace. Like, I can walk faster than this pace. But I'm committed to stick to it, and see how the Zone 2 training actually pans out.
But! That means I've also spent the last two weekends fretting hardcore over the cutoff times for RnR. It made for really unpleasant runs, and yesterday I thought to myself, "do I really want to spent the rest of the fall and winter feeling like this every weekend?" The answer, of course, is no. But the Team Z 5k doesn't really hold an appeal, so what to do?
So glad you asked: https://www.ex2adventures.com/trail-running/spring-backyard-burn-tra...
Spring trail running series!! 5 or 10 mile options for each event, and 5 events between March and May. THIS I am genuinely excited about. I don't know exactly which one(s) I would do until they put up the 2019 schedule. But they're all local trails so I can train on them if I want. Weeeeeeeee! So pumped!
Thats great Laura.
I totally get the excitement about the trails. They will be pretty much the only events I will do in 2019.

The exception might be 1 road marathon in October because one of the new turtles is going to do her first marathon so I might do it with her.
2018-10-29 5:23 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The trails sound great! I love to hit the trails in the winter! If I do so, I generally run in Umstead State Park near my house (trail surface but not single track). Good stuff!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13216 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 26768 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis