BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-01-02 8:16 AM
in reply to: micfriedman

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition OPEN

Originally posted by micfriedman Hi Ann-Marie I see now that my format for my introduction was not quite right. Apologies to the group. Yes, I've recently joined "outspoken multipart team", although haven't yet done much with them. Will start this month for sure! I do encourage Isaac to help peddle up the overpasses.. (only hills there are here!). Not sure he really helps, but he's fun to ride with. But, he only rides on my clunker bike, not my road bike... So, different type of ride, but since the bike weights a ton, I figure its still good exercise. I would post a picture, but not sure how to do that... Looking forward to being part of the Manatees... Happy New Year everyone!

Don't worry too much about the format! We got the general idea!

2018-01-02 8:21 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by tomsimper Facebook is my name

The Aberystwyth one?

2018-01-02 8:24 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

NAME: Lisa

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: lisac957 on Twitter, Insta and Snapchat

STORY: Been on BT for 12 years! Growing up, music and academics were prioritized over sports, but I was a swimmer and a dance team afficianado in high school. Never ran or biked until I decided I wanted to do a Sprint Triathlon in 2006, and I found BT. Love this community! Love this sport!

FAMILY STATUS: Single, no kids, 13-year-old dachshund Bentley

CURRENT TRAINING: Marathon training for a March race, then will roll into IM training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Georgia Marathon, Lake Logan Half Ironman, IM Chattanooga

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Continue supporting this community, it's so awesome.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Been in this particular group for a few years, and I love the vibe. Youse alls are good people

2018-01-02 8:51 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by lisac957

STORY: Been on BT for 12 years! Growing up, music and academics were prioritized over sports, but I was a swimmer and a dance team afficianado in high school. Never ran or biked until I decided I wanted to do a Sprint Triathlon in 2006, and I found BT. Love this community! Love this sport!

CURRENT TRAINING: Marathon training for a March race, then will roll into IM training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Georgia Marathon, Lake Logan Half Ironman, IM Chattanooga

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Been in this particular group for a few years, and I love the vibe. Youse alls are good people

That makes 3 of us for Lake Logan!

2018-01-02 9:00 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

And four of us for Chattanooga! :-D

Welcome back, Lisa!

Gotta get this knee thing straightened out to make that happen!

2018-01-02 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

And four of us for Chattanooga! :-D

Welcome back, Lisa!

Gotta get this knee thing straightened out to make that happen!

Stupid knee - tell it to get with the program!!

2018-01-02 9:06 AM
in reply to: alsiedee

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alsiedee Hi, I’d love to join your group - NAME: Ally

Ally, could you please open up your training log to BT users or individual Manatees or something?

That's under

Settings (top right under Hello, ]alsiedee)
Training Log settings on the left
Privacy
Select either "only registered users" or "only friends." If you select only friends, please friend all of the Manatees. Thanks!

2018-01-02 9:25 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Hi, I'd like to join the manatee group. I've been on BT for awhile but haven't posted too much.

Bio: I am 41 years old, live in Herndon, VA just outside of DC. Systems Engineer by day.

NAME: Jen

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: jenstewey on Facebook and Instagram

STORY: I grew up as a diver through college and then played coed soccer for awhile. I agreed to do a triathlon with a couple soccer teammates, and it stuck. A few years ago, I joined a triathlon team and did [my first?] Ironman. Then, life happened and I took a break. I focused mostly on swimming in 2017 and did the Chesapeake Bay swim plus a couple half marathons. I am now refreshed and have a full race schedule for 2018 which I'm really excited about.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, just adopted 2 rescue dogs a week ago, Mosley and Sadie! Also have a cat that is really mad at me right now

CURRENT TRAINING: Trying to get back into things after a hiatus. I got really bad ear infections after the bay swim that kept me out of the water for awhile. I literally just got cleared to swim again last week. I'll probably be all indoors on the bike until it gets warmer, and focusing mostly on running for a couple spring half marathons.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Reston Half Marathon, National Women's Half Marathon, St. Mary's International Tri, Escape from Alcatraz (relay- I'm doing swim & run), Rev3 Williamsburg Olympic, Ironman Maine 70.3

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Trying to lose some weight so I'm not fighting time limits in races. I know nutrition is my biggest challenge - I'm doing Whole30 for January and will figure the rest out after that.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I'd really like to become more active on this site!

2018-01-02 9:45 AM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Hey everyone, I'd like to rejoin!

Bio: I am 35 years old and live in Dallas, TX. I'm originally from Toronto, Canada and I've lived in Boston, Charlottesville and spent 9 long years in NYC

NAME: Justin

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Strava and occasionally on Facebook

STORY: I grew up as a decent athlete playing mostly soccer, basketball and rugby in HS. I played competitive rugby in college and after finishing school I ballooned up working 80-100 hr weeks while eating like a strong-man (hard to believe I put on 30 lbs, I know ). Since moving to TX I bought a new bike and decided to I needed to find something to fuel my competitive spirit that wouldn't have me coming home all battered and bruised like rugby so I figure I give triathlon a try and got hooked.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 boys, 7 mos and 2 yrs and 7 mos. They don't sleep, tear up the house and we love them to death!

CURRENT TRAINING: Trying to get faster mostly in the water and on the run. Given training time is always limited and mostly rushed, I'm mostly focusing on technique and going faster.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: As of now all I have planned is Age Group Nationals (Oly) in Cleveland. I'd like to do Waco 70.3 and will do a few local Olympic tri's once the season kicks off.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Get my kids to sleep to sleep normal hours, work less, train more, buy more tri gear, etc. Realistically though I'd like to just improve and get faster all around.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I enjoy the camaraderie of the group and give my $0.02 whenever possible!
2018-01-02 10:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Name - melbo55/Melanie

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: https://www.facebook.com/melanie.payton.39, https://twitter.com/mpayton15https://www.instagram.com/mpayton15, /https://www.strava.com/athletes/442781

STORY: Always been active in one way or another (softball, rollerblading, etc) but it's taken off with more regularity the older I've become.  I currently am a goalie on a women's ice hockey team but I also play with a co-ed group.  I earned my black belt in Tae Kwon Do but don't practice anymore (our dojo closed).  I thoroughly enjoy doing anything outside: biking, running, swimming, kayaking, hiking, etc.  I dabble in MTB and would love to get back into it more.

STATUS:  I'm 44 but soon aging up to 45. Married to EFP and have 2 sweet dogs, Coco and Dobie who keep life interesting and fun.

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been mainly playing hockey and swimming with a little running and biking thrown in here and there, but will soon buckle down to a more structured training routine to prepare for the upcoming season.  I was accepted as a Hive Ambassador for Honey Stinger which basically means I promote their products for them via hashtags on social media.  In return I get a discount on products. 

LAST YEAR: Finally completed my first 70.3 in beloved Lake Placid (my other attempt at Syracuse was shortened because of weather; athletes were pulled off course because of severe storms).  Didn't have the speediest of seasons as I was coming back from an Achilles injury and got a late start to training, mainly running.

2018 races: So far I'm signed up for a 5K series (Jan, Feb, Mar), St. Luke's half marathon in April, the sprint that started it all (Got the Nerve) in May (2010 my first tri ever and I've not missed a race since), possibly Steelman 5K swim in July (gotta beat 2 hours!!), probably Chiques Challenge (run + kayak) in August, and LP 70.3 again in Sept, this time to actually race, not just finish.  I have a super secret goal for this race.  May throw in a few other events here and there if it fits.

BODY COMP:  An Athena in all regards: 5'10" and currently on a mission to dump some of my plump (weighing in this am at a sturdy 191.6 - part of my strategy is putting my weight out there in the hopes of added accountability to reach my goals). I have a goal to lose 5 lbs. a month through May at which point I hope to maintain (or lose a bit more).  I want to lose weight to be healthier and to be faster!

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MANATEE:  I like keeping up with the goings-on of the group, chiming in when appropriate and I enjoy sending inspires and reading and responding to race reports.  

Edited by melbo55 2018-01-02 10:22 AM
2018-01-02 10:18 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I just looked into it but that's likely the weekend of the hockey tournament we do every year.  Sad face 

2018-01-02 10:37 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jenstewey

I'm doing Whole30 for January and will figure the rest out after that.

I'm also doing a January Whole30 - I did 29 days in December as well. Hit me up with any questions or awesome recipes you run across!

2018-01-02 11:21 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Its great to see everybody again in 2018 and also some new folks! I can't wait to get out of work and go for a run tonight as its day one of the training plan. May be saying otherwise when I'm out in the rain and trying to keep up with everybody else later!

Have a great evening all!
2018-01-02 11:52 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome Jen!

Justin and Melanie, welcome back! :-D

2018-01-02 12:08 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Zoe, our 2 year-old golden retriever, loves to rub and body slam the couch. Last night, she got wild started to run back and forth ribbing the sofa and the air was so dry in the house (from the heat running like crazy), she was creating a lot of static electricity. You could hear the crackling and her fur stood on end especially on her ears. Then she ran over and touched my husband, Kevin, with her nose. ZAP! She thought *he* had something to do with and went wild.

2018-01-02 12:27 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

I just looked into it but that's likely the weekend of the hockey tournament we do every year.  Sad face 

Make them move the tourney! Or, you can just do Chattanooga with us instead

2018-01-02 12:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Zoe, our 2 year-old golden retriever, loves to rub and body slam the couch. Last night, she got wild started to run back and forth ribbing the sofa and the air was so dry in the house (from the heat running like crazy), she was creating a lot of static electricity. You could hear the crackling and her fur stood on end especially on her ears. Then she ran over and touched my husband, Kevin, with her nose. ZAP! She thought *he* had something to do with and went wild.

haha, that's too funny! Kevin needs to stop abusing Zoe!! Teddy is my first sporting breed; he gets the zoomies/wilding/sun-downers every evening. Since I got him I've heard other people with sporting dogs discuss their dogs' zoomies.  I suppose the sofa rubbing and body slamming is Zoe's zoomers!  This was never a thing with the working/herding dogs I previously owned.  It's pretty funny, but can be tiring!! And, apparently, electrifying!!

Edited by amd723 2018-01-02 12:32 PM
2018-01-02 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

haha, that's too funny! Kevin needs to stop abusing Zoe!! Teddy is my first sporting breed; he gets the zoomies/wilding/sun-downers every evening. Since I got him I've heard other people with sporting dogs discuss their dogs' zoomies.  I suppose the sofa rubbing and body slamming is Zoe's zoomers!  This was never a thing with the working/herding dogs I previously owned.  It's pretty funny, but can be tiring!! And, apparently, electrifying!!

Yes, Zoe gets zoomies as well. She has to do laps of the backyard when that happens. I think the body slamming and sofa rubbing is roughhousing with virtual dogs :-D

2018-01-02 12:40 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Bio: I am 35 years old and live in Dallas, TX. I'm originally from Toronto, Canada and I've lived in Boston, Charlottesville and spent 9 long years in NYC

Charlottesville? UVA? I graduated from college there in 96.
2018-01-02 12:43 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Originally posted by awm007
Originally posted by TXTriRook Bio: I am 35 years old and live in Dallas, TX. I'm originally from Toronto, Canada and I've lived in Boston, Charlottesville and spent 9 long years in NYC

I graduated from college there in 98

2018-01-02 12:45 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Originally posted by TXTriRook Bio: I am 35 years old and live in Dallas, TX. I'm originally from Toronto, Canada and I've lived in Boston, Charlottesville and spent 9 long years in NYC

Excellent! Wahoowa! Glad basketball season is here. That bowl game was sad. Fortunately, I also went to Georgia who fared better.

2018-01-02 1:32 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Funny!  Well, maybe not to Zoe!

2018-01-02 1:35 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

I'm doing Whole30 for January and will figure the rest out after that.

I'm also doing a January Whole30 - I did 29 days in December as well. Hit me up with any questions or awesome recipes you run across!

I definitely will!  I did a lot of pre-cooking to get ready, so I have lots of stuff in my freezer.  My bank account took a pretty big hit getting initial things... random ingredients like coconut aminos, ghee, etc, but also some small appliances since I'm doing a lot more cooking on my own now.  Hopefully that will settle down now that I have the basics.

2018-01-02 1:35 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Excellent! Wahoowa! Glad basketball season is here. That bowl game was sad. Fortunately, I also went to Georgia who fared better.

Good to know there are some fellow Wahoo's on here! I went there for grad school but some of my best college memories are from C-ville.
2018-01-02 1:59 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Good to know there are some fellow Wahoo's on here! I went there for grad school but some of my best college memories are from C-ville.

My older sister got her PHD there and younger her MD; does that make me an honorary Wahoo? A wahoo in law?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13457 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27134 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis