BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-03-13 8:43 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED

Anybody reading (or like me, listening to) Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance by Alex Hutchinson?

I find it pretty fascinating and thought provoking.  What do you all think of it?

For those not familiar with the book, this is from the back:

the capacity to endure is the key trait that underlies great performance in virtually every field—from a 100-meter sprint to a 100-mile ultramarathon, from summiting Everest to acing final exams or completing any difficult project. But what if we all can go farther, push harder, and achieve more than we think we’re capable of?

Blending cutting-edge science and gripping storytelling in the spirit of Malcolm Gladwell—who contributes the book’s foreword—award-winning journalist Alex Hutchinson reveals that a wave of paradigm-altering research over the past decade suggests the seemingly physical barriers you encounter are set as much by your brain as by your body. This means the mind is the new frontier of endurance—and that the horizons of performance are much more elastic than we once thought. 

But, of course, it’s not “all in your head.” For each of the physical limits that Hutchinson explores—pain, muscle, oxygen, heat, thirst, fuel—he carefully disentangles the delicate interplay of mind and body by telling the riveting stories of men and women who’ve pushed their own ultimate limits in extraordinary ways.

The longtime “Sweat Science” columnist for Outside and Runner’s World, Hutchinson, a former national-team long-distance runner and Cambridge-trained physicist, was one of only two reporters granted access to Nike’s top-secret training project to break the two-hour marathon barrier, an extreme quest he traces throughout the book. But the lessons he draws from shadowing elite athletes and from traveling to high-tech labs around the world are surprisingly universal. Endurance, Hutchinson writes, is “the struggle to continue against a mounting desire to stop”—and we’re always capable of pushing a little farther.

2018-03-13 8:51 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by abake At last weekend's race, I won a pair of gloves in a drawing. They turned out to be really good riding gloves and come in wild and crazy colors. Thought I would share with the Manatees. Here's a link to the website https://handupgloves.com/gloves/

Oh my gosh they look like such fun gloves!  Congrats on scoring some nice gear!

2018-03-13 8:53 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by awm007 Hi Manatees! Just a quick POL post. A few things have conspired lately to limit my training: illness (cold, pink eye), vacation, work-life conflict, and probably most importantly just not having any races on the books. I'm thinking of signing up for a late spring sprint to provide some motivation to get back in the pool and on the bike. For those of you that have taken time away and then come back (e.g., having an off-season period with limited training or perhaps strength training), how have you gotten back into the swing of things? Hope everyone on here is doing well.

Or, in Manatee speak DOOO EEEETTTT!!!!

I said Doooo Eeeeeet to a non-Manatee the other day.  They looked at me like I was a bit nutty. 

I love that commercial (especially when the last manatee comes in with the Let's Snuggle tee), it makes me laugh and often think of our crazy manatee group who I'm sure also occasionally wears novelty tees.

2018-03-13 8:57 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Ann-Marie - thanks to your snippet, I've now added that book to my wish list, it sounds fascinating!  So to answer your inquiry, no, I am not reading it but will be in the future.

2018-03-13 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

Anybody reading (or like me, listening to) Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance by Alex Hutchinson?

I find it pretty fascinating and thought provoking.  What do you all think of it?

For those not familiar with the book, this is from the back:

the capacity to endure is the key trait that underlies great performance in virtually every field—from a 100-meter sprint to a 100-mile ultramarathon, from summiting Everest to acing final exams or completing any difficult project. But what if we all can go farther, push harder, and achieve more than we think we’re capable of?

Blending cutting-edge science and gripping storytelling in the spirit of Malcolm Gladwell—who contributes the book’s foreword—award-winning journalist Alex Hutchinson reveals that a wave of paradigm-altering research over the past decade suggests the seemingly physical barriers you encounter are set as much by your brain as by your body. This means the mind is the new frontier of endurance—and that the horizons of performance are much more elastic than we once thought. 

But, of course, it’s not “all in your head.” For each of the physical limits that Hutchinson explores—pain, muscle, oxygen, heat, thirst, fuel—he carefully disentangles the delicate interplay of mind and body by telling the riveting stories of men and women who’ve pushed their own ultimate limits in extraordinary ways.

The longtime “Sweat Science” columnist for Outside and Runner’s World, Hutchinson, a former national-team long-distance runner and Cambridge-trained physicist, was one of only two reporters granted access to Nike’s top-secret training project to break the two-hour marathon barrier, an extreme quest he traces throughout the book. But the lessons he draws from shadowing elite athletes and from traveling to high-tech labs around the world are surprisingly universal. Endurance, Hutchinson writes, is “the struggle to continue against a mounting desire to stop”—and we’re always capable of pushing a little farther.

I just finished "Living With A Seal". It touches on the same basic concepts, like physical limitations, mental limiters, our performance capabilities, etc. It is probably in a *bit* less serious vein, though. I'll have to look into this one as well, thanks. Like Melanie stated, I too am not currently reading it.

2018-03-13 10:05 AM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida

Originally posted by awm007 Hi Manatees! Just a quick POL post. A few things have conspired lately to limit my training: illness (cold, pink eye), vacation, work-life conflict, and probably most importantly just not having any races on the books. I'm thinking of signing up for a late spring sprint to provide some motivation to get back in the pool and on the bike. For those of you that have taken time away and then come back (e.g., having an off-season period with limited training or perhaps strength training), how have you gotten back into the swing of things? Hope everyone on here is doing well.

For today's newbie lesson on Manatee speak, what's the back story on DOOO EEEETTTT?

2018-03-13 1:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by kbhanson3

For today's newbie lesson on Manatee speak, what's the back story on DOOO EEEETTTT?

Was this from Jo Baxas or Yanti?

Edited by jmkizer 2018-03-13 1:23 PM
2018-03-13 1:27 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

hmm, can’t recall! Let’s give them both credit

2018-03-13 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm trying to find it. Right now it looks like the phrase originated in 2013.

2018-03-13 3:47 PM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida

I had no idea that my question would launch a research project.
2018-03-13 3:54 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK

Can someone explain how, when I log in meters, my swim total is 

Swim:27h 28m 55s - 66724.99 M ???

I have not done any open water swims yet this year....

That makes no sense at all. I log in meters too and don't seem to have a problem. Is it wrong in Garmin too? I have my Garmin auto sync to BT and it comes through fine then I just add some details to my BT log.

The conversion of 0 meters of swimming to 0 yards of swimming isn't that tough though

Image result for fire emojiImage result for fire emojiImage result for fire emoji

2018-03-13 3:56 PM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Master

It must be on the sheet of Manatee sayings, where ever that has disappeared to....That was gold.

2018-03-13 5:34 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It must be on the sheet of Manatee sayings, where ever that has disappeared to....That was gold.

Fachmie, it's Whopper time!

2018-03-13 5:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by StaceyK

Can someone explain how, when I log in meters, my swim total is 

Swim:27h 28m 55s - 66724.99 M ???

I have not done any open water swims yet this year....

That makes no sense at all. I log in meters too and don't seem to have a problem. Is it wrong in Garmin too? I have my Garmin auto sync to BT and it comes through fine then I just add some details to my BT log.

The conversion of 0 meters of swimming to 0 yards of swimming isn't that tough though

LMAO you made me spit my tea ????
2018-03-13 5:39 PM

User image

Master

Huh, it's not actually on there.  But here, for your viewing pleasure (makes me miss some of the peeps listed at the bottom....):

Translating a Manatee Posting

A small guide to help you get through any posting in the Manatee thread. Included are words that have been used to mean other things and abbreviations commonly used by Manatees:

• Fachmie - A worker at a Burger King in Indonesia. His name has been used in a variety of ways, most commonly to express surprise or delight, ie “Fachmie, that is so cool!!!”

• Nap, Yoga, Pool time, Waxing Sedona - Used to describe alone time spent between adults, especially those with children in the household. In BT parlance, this is often referred to as pizza. This term can be changed on a near daily basis.

• HM - Half Marathon

• DW (S, H, D) - Dear Wife, Son, Husband or Daughter). At any other time this can also mean Ditzy, Divorced, Dipstick, Danged, or a multiple of other words. Context is important. TW is an offshoot of this and means THE Wife or The Wonder.

• HIM - Half Ironman

• 70.3 - Half Ironman (any half iron distance event)

• IM - Ironman (any iron distance event)

• 140.6 - Ironman (any iron distance event)

• M pace - Marathon pace

• RPE - Rate of Perceived Effort - One of the standard training guides or intensity scales.

• HR(M) - Heart Rate (Monitor) - Another standard scale for measuring training intensity.

• Where’sTheFatpug - WTF, translate at your own risk.

• Manatee - Any mentor or mentoree.

• T.I.T.S: time in the saddle

• TW - THE Wife

• DW - Dear/Darling/Damn Wife

• DH - Dear/Darling/Damn Husband

• SO - Significant Other

• DS - Dear/Darling/Damn Son

• DD - Dear/Darling/Damn Daughter

• Masters swim - masters swim groups/teams.  Mostly under the USMS umbrella. Coached swim sessions for adults.  Masters doesn't mean expert level, it means it's for those 18 and older.

• E Pace

• TSS

• SCY - short course yards - many pools are 25 yards x 50 meters, this indicates the configuration

• LCM - long course meters- many pools are 25 yards x 50 meters, this indicates the configuration

• Funny Farm - Yanti’s place in Bali

Yanti’s Nicknames (so you can know who I be referrin’ or speakin’ to):

Erin (4agoodlife) - Goody

Laura Y (Atlantia) - Vivaldi

Judi (QueenZipp) - St. Jude

Chris (cdban66) - Dub6

Stacey (StaceyK) - Stace Face

Jen (Juniperjen)

Lisa (lisac957) - Wienerlisa

Janyne (jmkizer) - NyNy

Ben (brigby1) - who is this guy?!

TJ (rrrunner) - Teej

Mary G (marysia83) - Maria

Melanie (melbo55) - Peach Melbo

Darren (Richardsdrr) - Dazzers

Ann-Marie (amd723) - Hands-Marie

Karen (Hotrunner)

Kirsten (IronOx) - Kirstiron

Monica (blueyedBikergirl) - Tangerines

Robin (fortissimo) - Forti

Sean (Jet Black) - Jetson

Robin (ceilidh) - Horny Melon

Dicky (superfunkyfresh)

Tom S (tomsimper)

Dave (DaveL)

Mark (Lighttower)

Connor (CRFTX2001)

Markus (johnthecat)

Adam (awm007)

Jim (JBacarella)

Laura J (Daffodil)

Kevin (microdoc)

David (RookeyDavid)

Justin (TXTriRook)

Maria (Maria527)

Steve (popsracer) - Nancypops

Mary S (laffinrock) - HappyStoned

Eric (emcmino)

Matt (msteiner) - Mr. Mattee

Adrienne (Asalzwed) - Salty

Randee (mtbikerchick) - Randeetee

Jonathan (jbwills) - Pikatti

2018-03-13 5:54 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Jacksonville, Florida

Huh, it's not actually on there.  But here, for your viewing pleasure (makes me miss some of the peeps listed at the bottom....):

Translating a Manatee Posting

A small guide to help you get through any posting in the Manatee thread. Included are words that have been used to mean other things and abbreviations commonly used by Manatees:

• Fachmie - A worker at a Burger King in Indonesia. His name has been used in a variety of ways, most commonly to express surprise or delight, ie “Fachmie, that is so cool!!!”

• Nap, Yoga, Pool time, Waxing Sedona - Used to describe alone time spent between adults, especially those with children in the household. In BT parlance, this is often referred to as pizza. This term can be changed on a near daily basis.

• HM - Half Marathon

• DW (S, H, D) - Dear Wife, Son, Husband or Daughter). At any other time this can also mean Ditzy, Divorced, Dipstick, Danged, or a multiple of other words. Context is important. TW is an offshoot of this and means THE Wife or The Wonder.

• HIM - Half Ironman

• 70.3 - Half Ironman (any half iron distance event)

• IM - Ironman (any iron distance event)

• 140.6 - Ironman (any iron distance event)

• M pace - Marathon pace

• RPE - Rate of Perceived Effort - One of the standard training guides or intensity scales.

• HR(M) - Heart Rate (Monitor) - Another standard scale for measuring training intensity.

• Where’sTheFatpug - WTF, translate at your own risk.

• Manatee - Any mentor or mentoree.

• T.I.T.S: time in the saddle

• TW - THE Wife

• DW - Dear/Darling/Damn Wife

• DH - Dear/Darling/Damn Husband

• SO - Significant Other

• DS - Dear/Darling/Damn Son

• DD - Dear/Darling/Damn Daughter

• Masters swim - masters swim groups/teams.  Mostly under the USMS umbrella. Coached swim sessions for adults.  Masters doesn't mean expert level, it means it's for those 18 and older.

• E Pace

• TSS

• SCY - short course yards - many pools are 25 yards x 50 meters, this indicates the configuration

• LCM - long course meters- many pools are 25 yards x 50 meters, this indicates the configuration

• Funny Farm - Yanti’s place in Bali

Yanti’s Nicknames (so you can know who I be referrin’ or speakin’ to):

Erin (4agoodlife) - Goody

Laura Y (Atlantia) - Vivaldi

Judi (QueenZipp) - St. Jude

Chris (cdban66) - Dub6

Stacey (StaceyK) - Stace Face

Jen (Juniperjen)

Lisa (lisac957) - Wienerlisa

Janyne (jmkizer) - NyNy

Ben (brigby1) - who is this guy?!

TJ (rrrunner) - Teej

Mary G (marysia83) - Maria

Melanie (melbo55) - Peach Melbo

Darren (Richardsdrr) - Dazzers

Ann-Marie (amd723) - Hands-Marie

Karen (Hotrunner)

Kirsten (IronOx) - Kirstiron

Monica (blueyedBikergirl) - Tangerines

Robin (fortissimo) - Forti

Sean (Jet Black) - Jetson

Robin (ceilidh) - Horny Melon

Dicky (superfunkyfresh)

Tom S (tomsimper)

Dave (DaveL)

Mark (Lighttower)

Connor (CRFTX2001)

Markus (johnthecat)

Adam (awm007)

Jim (JBacarella)

Laura J (Daffodil)

Kevin (microdoc)

David (RookeyDavid)

Justin (TXTriRook)

Maria (Maria527)

Steve (popsracer) - Nancypops

Mary S (laffinrock) - HappyStoned

Eric (emcmino)

Matt (msteiner) - Mr. Mattee

Adrienne (Asalzwed) - Salty

Randee (mtbikerchick) - Randeetee

Jonathan (jbwills) - Pikatti

It's interesting to step into a group like this where there is so much history. Pretty cool that so many of you are keeping it going.

2018-03-14 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
A question for the group.
After swimming are you 1) famished and 2) sleepy?
It seems like when I swim, as soon as I get out of the water, I cannot eat enough. Then that night, I am falling asleep at 8:00 PM and cannot for the life of me keep my eyes open. There may be those close by who also mention that I snore like a grizzly bear that night. I myself have never heard it, so I am skeptical. Haha.
2018-03-14 8:45 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
So since symptoms have been staying mostly in check with the training load (Allergies tend to flare things up on occasion) I registered for my first Tri for this year on April 14th. It's a super sprint (200m/8mi/2mi) so I'm not too worried about it other than potential cold water temps (ever since my sickness my body doesn't regulate well with cold) and the fact that I haven't logged a swim yet this year

In the spirit of not having spent enough money on Triathlon this year and in a continuous effort to raise more awareness for GBS and CIDP I updated my Trisuit design and ordered a new one.

(Trisuit1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Trisuit1.jpg (732KB - 4 downloads)
2018-03-14 9:10 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella A question for the group. After swimming are you 1) famished and 2) sleepy? It seems like when I swim, as soon as I get out of the water, I cannot eat enough. Then that night, I am falling asleep at 8:00 PM and cannot for the life of me keep my eyes open. There may be those close by who also mention that I snore like a grizzly bear that night. I myself have never heard it, so I am skeptical. Haha.

Famished?  Yup.  Usually ready to gnaw my own arm off.  Sleepy?  Hard to say if it's the actual swimming or the fact that I get up at 4:30 am to do so   Snore like a grizzly bear?  Can't be true if you never heard it! 

2018-03-14 9:11 AM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by johnthecat So since symptoms have been staying mostly in check with the training load (Allergies tend to flare things up on occasion) I registered for my first Tri for this year on April 14th. It's a super sprint (200m/8mi/2mi) so I'm not too worried about it other than potential cold water temps (ever since my sickness my body doesn't regulate well with cold) and the fact that I haven't logged a swim yet this year In the spirit of not having spent enough money on Triathlon this year and in a continuous effort to raise more awareness for GBS and CIDP I updated my Trisuit design and ordered a new one.

I'm glad your symptoms are allowing you to race, yay!  I love the kit design, especially the turtle.   There's plenty of time to get a swim or two in before your race.

2018-03-14 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella A question for the group. After swimming are you 1) famished and 2) sleepy? It seems like when I swim, as soon as I get out of the water, I cannot eat enough. Then that night, I am falling asleep at 8:00 PM and cannot for the life of me keep my eyes open. There may be those close by who also mention that I snore like a grizzly bear that night. I myself have never heard it, so I am skeptical. Haha.

Swimming almost always makes me stupid hungry!  I'm in a constant state of sleep deprivation, so I don't know that it makes it worse! Actually, I may be less sleepy right after getting out of the pool, but soon revert to my normal "I need a nap" self!!

Manatees don't snore.

2018-03-14 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by johnthecat So since symptoms have been staying mostly in check with the training load (Allergies tend to flare things up on occasion) I registered for my first Tri for this year on April 14th. It's a super sprint (200m/8mi/2mi) so I'm not too worried about it other than potential cold water temps (ever since my sickness my body doesn't regulate well with cold) and the fact that I haven't logged a swim yet this year In the spirit of not having spent enough money on Triathlon this year and in a continuous effort to raise more awareness for GBS and CIDP I updated my Trisuit design and ordered a new one.

I'm happy you are feeling well enough to race!  Nice kit too!!  I'm also happy that I'm not the only one spending $$ 

2018-03-14 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hungry. When I run in the morning, I am often hungry mid morning but when I swim in the morning, I am hungry pretty much as soon as I am out of the shower afterward!

2018-03-14 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling well enough to race! Yippee!

2018-03-14 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Looking for the DOOO EEETTT!!!! origin post between meetings.

I think that I may have found the Hands origin post in the process!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13445 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27120 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis