BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-05-18 8:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED
Not sure exactly what/whom this is a reply to, but a while back people were talking about their favorite trainer viewing and I mentioned my standbys: the Bike the World and HD Cycling channels on Youtube. Someone asked if there was any way to integrate it with a smart trainer and I said I didn't know but maybe they could contact someone at the site since on some videos (I think HD Cycling) they display all the Garmin course data and maybe they have files you could use.

Anyway on the info for the latest Bike to World video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jQnzbLZBtI) it says they are now testing this app and you can sign up for it. It will allow you to ride any of the Bike the World courses (which range from 20-30 minutes to over three hours, most in the 75 minute to 2 hour range) in virtual reality, similar to using a Computrainer or other smart trainer app that adjusts resistance according to the course. I don't have a smart trainer or the tech setup/knowhow to do this (and anyway am usually following a PM based workout from my coach) but this might be a fun way to get in long rides when outdoors isn't an option. Bike the World has a LOT of scenic alpine European courses--very few seem to be flat. They really go in for epic climbs..... If I ever decide to actually do Alpe de Huez, I may have to go for this app!

Edited by Hot Runner 2018-05-18 8:23 AM

2018-05-18 12:43 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 19-20
Melanie - Got the Nerve tri on Saturday
Lisa - Tour de Cure ATL on Saturday
Janyne - Victory Ride on Saturday
Jen S - St. Mary's Sprint Triathlon on Sunday
Mary - Colfax Marathon relay on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

2018-05-18 12:55 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

May 19-20

Is anyone else racing?

Another great week of racing! Go everyone!! 

2018-05-18 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

May 19-20

Is anyone else racing?

Great stuff! Have fun y'all!

Not racing, I am volunteering as a rescue swimmer for Coach Scott's OWS clinic tomorrow. What the...

2018-05-18 1:19 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

May 19-20

Is anyone else racing?

Good Luck Racers!
2018-05-18 1:48 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

May 19-20

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck to all, have fun and be safe!!

TJ - how cool!  Here's hoping you don't need to get wet!

My race will be chilly and rainy but I'm going to make the most of it and keep my attitude in the right place.  It will also be EFP's first triathlon (poor guy!).  It will all be worth it when we are finished, dry, and tucked in to some beers and BBQ at Divine Swine afterwards with friends!

Edited to add: word on the street is they moved transition to somewhere that has asphalt to avoid what will be a gigantic mud pit.  It's been raining since Sunday and isn't supposed to quit until Tuesday.

Edited by melbo55 2018-05-18 1:49 PM

2018-05-18 2:00 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!!!

May 19-20

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck to all, have fun and be safe!!

TJ - how cool!  Here's hoping you don't need to get wet!

My race will be chilly and rainy but I'm going to make the most of it and keep my attitude in the right place.  It will also be EFP's first triathlon (poor guy!).  It will all be worth it when we are finished, dry, and tucked in to some beers and BBQ at Divine Swine afterwards with friends!

Edited to add: word on the street is they moved transition to somewhere that has asphalt to avoid what will be a gigantic mud pit.  It's been raining since Sunday and isn't supposed to quit until Tuesday.

Good luck to EFP on his first -if yucky weather - tri!  Love the name Divine Swine , even though it doesn't sound vegetarian friendly!!

2018-05-18 2:10 PM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

May 19-20

Is anyone else racing?

Have fun, everyone! Best of luck to you all.
2018-05-18 5:56 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
What....no mud pit in transition?! That is the normal situation in many of my Singapore races! Part of the challenge....
2018-05-18 11:15 PM

User image

Master

Gooooooo racers!

2018-05-19 7:34 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Racing Manatees!!!

May 19-20

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck racers!!!

2018-05-19 6:34 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVb77nQEf6M

Video footage of age-groupers exiting the swim last week at Vietnam 70.3. Unfortunately the commentary is in Vietnamese. Can't follow it exactly but there is a lot about "big waves" and "safety". Going to watch and see if I make an appearance somewhere--thought I saw myself but on full screen, it wasn't. I should be running toward shore, get hit by a late wave, but see it coming and do a bit of last-minute body surfing. Tri suit with bright orange top, but I'm in my speed suit (black and purple); orange cap. I think I'm out around 16:37 but can't see it clearly. You can hear someone (actually a kid at our school whose dad is swimming near me yell, "Go daddy!" repeatedly, then my mom yells, "Go Karen". About a minute later, the photographer almost gets drenched by a sneaker wave!

Edited by Hot Runner 2018-05-19 6:50 PM
2018-05-20 4:08 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by amd723

Happy Monday Pod! Looks like all the racers had successful/fun events!!

My Monday became a little expensive when I took the plunge and ordered a power meter  For various reasons I decided on the Garmin Vector 3. It's on back order til the end of the month, so I have plenty of time to figure out what I'm supposed to do with it!!   

Ann-Marie,

I had the Vector 3's on order for almost 7 weeks and kept getting an updated restock date week after week. I finally had to just give up and ordered the Assioma duo pedals. I was sad, as I had a 35% off coupon for the Garmin product, but needed to get moving with training with power.

I hope your luck is better than mine!

That said, I'm liking the data thus far & I can tolerate the trainer much more than in year's past since I have specific targets and goals for my trainer rides. FTP sucks, though!!!!

Edited by glfprncs 2018-05-20 5:05 PM
2018-05-21 9:07 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hello all, I hope all is well and that the racers and riders had a great weekend. We have returned back to reality and it is not nearly as much fun as vacation time.  Shocker, right?  Hopefully the next couple of days afford me some time to check in on everyone and see how things are going.

2018-05-21 9:20 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by cdban66

Hello all, I hope all is well and that the racers and riders had a great weekend. We have returned back to reality and it is not nearly as much fun as vacation time.  Shocker, right?  Hopefully the next couple of days afford me some time to check in on everyone and see how things are going.

MORE VACATION!

Hot day yesterday for the Choo 70.3.....
2018-05-21 9:21 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs

Happy Monday Pod! Looks like all the racers had successful/fun events!!

My Monday became a little expensive when I took the plunge and ordered a power meter  For various reasons I decided on the Garmin Vector 3. It's on back order til the end of the month, so I have plenty of time to figure out what I'm supposed to do with it!!   

Ann-Marie, I had the Vector 3's on order for almost 7 weeks and kept getting an updated restock date week after week. I finally had to just give up and ordered the Assioma duo pedals. I was sad, as I had a 35% off coupon for the Garmin product, but needed to get moving with training with power. I hope your luck is better than mine! That said, I'm liking the data thus far & I can tolerate the trainer much more than in year's past since I have specific targets and goals for my trainer rides. FTP sucks, though!!!!

I hope I have better luck too!  I read where Garmin was addressing issues with its battery and everything was supposed to be done by end of May.  Maybe that accounted for your delay. I would have been bummed not to have been able to use a 35% off coupon, but glad you are liking the Assiomas.  I almost went with them. but i read some people had issues clipping in and out of them and that scared me!

2018-05-21 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVb77nQEf6MVideo footage of age-groupers exiting the swim last week at Vietnam 70.3. Unfortunately the commentary is in Vietnamese. Can't follow it exactly but there is a lot about "big waves" and "safety". Going to watch and see if I make an appearance somewhere--thought I saw myself but on full screen, it wasn't. I should be running toward shore, get hit by a late wave, but see it coming and do a bit of last-minute body surfing. Tri suit with bright orange top, but I'm in my speed suit (black and purple); orange cap. I think I'm out around 16:37 but can't see it clearly. You can hear someone (actually a kid at our school whose dad is swimming near me yell, "Go daddy!" repeatedly, then my mom yells, "Go Karen". About a minute later, the photographer almost gets drenched by a sneaker wave!

Thanks for sharing! I wish the camera angle had been a bit different but it was still cool to see!

2018-05-21 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Welcome back! Hope you like the non-stop rain!

2018-05-21 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVb77nQEf6MVideo footage of age-groupers exiting the swim last week at Vietnam 70.3. Unfortunately the commentary is in Vietnamese. Can't follow it exactly but there is a lot about "big waves" and "safety". Going to watch and see if I make an appearance somewhere--thought I saw myself but on full screen, it wasn't. I should be running toward shore, get hit by a late wave, but see it coming and do a bit of last-minute body surfing. Tri suit with bright orange top, but I'm in my speed suit (black and purple); orange cap. I think I'm out around 16:37 but can't see it clearly. You can hear someone (actually a kid at our school whose dad is swimming near me yell, "Go daddy!" repeatedly, then my mom yells, "Go Karen". About a minute later, the photographer almost gets drenched by a sneaker wave!

Thanks for sharing! I wish the camera angle had been a bit different but it was still cool to see!

I would have been nauseous in those swells!

2018-05-21 10:05 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Welcome back Chris. Looks like you and TW had a great time!

I had quite an exciting weekend. I got to row around the lake in an inflatable row boat for the swim clinic. It was a bit sketchy but I figured if it went down I'd just swim back.

DS1 got engaged so I guess I will now refer to the girl as FDIL

And, most importantly, as some of you may have seen on IG, the 7-year-old learned to ride her bike!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of her! Saturday we slammed the saddle and took off the pedals so she could scoot and coast to learn balance. Sunday she asked to have the pedals back and she was off! After lots of short up n down the block stuff I went up the street with her and ended up running along with her for 3/4 mile "around the block". (sandals were not a good choice for that expedition).

2018-05-21 10:10 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

I had quite an exciting weekend. I got to row around the lake in an inflatable row boat for the swim clinic. It was a bit sketchy but I figured if it went down I'd just swim back.

And, most importantly, as some of you may have seen on IG, the 7-year-old learned to ride her bike!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of her! Saturday we slammed the saddle and took off the pedals so she could scoot and coast to learn balance. Sunday she asked to have the pedals back and she was off! After lots of short up n down the block stuff I went up the street with her and ended up running along with her for 3/4 mile "around the block". (sandals were not a good choice for that expedition).

Congratulations!

2018-05-21 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Congratulations!

X2 on the congrats!

2018-05-21 10:21 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Welcome back! Hope you like the non-stop rain!

I'll take the rain, we need it badly. How are you doing up there, is it bad?

2018-05-21 4:10 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

Such a great accomplishment, yay 7-year-old!!   

2018-05-21 4:11 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Welcome back, Chris!  It looked like you guys did some really fun, interesting things and ate a lot of delicious-looking food.  Sorry the re-immersion into reality is a bit harsh. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13476 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27188 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis