BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-05-21 5:18 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED
Originally posted by cdban66

Hello all, I hope all is well and that the racers and riders had a great weekend. We have returned back to reality and it is not nearly as much fun as vacation time.  Shocker, right?  Hopefully the next couple of days afford me some time to check in on everyone and see how things are going.

Welcome back Chris. It looked like you had a great time.

I am an advocate for a slow return to work after holidays. My preference is that for every week off you had you get a half day - so two weeks off means your first two days back are half days. My theory is you have to ease yourself back into the stupidity

2018-05-22 7:01 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by StaceyK

Hello all, I hope all is well and that the racers and riders had a great weekend. We have returned back to reality and it is not nearly as much fun as vacation time.  Shocker, right?  Hopefully the next couple of days afford me some time to check in on everyone and see how things are going.

Welcome back Chris. It looked like you had a great time. I am an advocate for a slow return to work after holidays. My preference is that for every week off you had you get a half day - so two weeks off means your first two days back are half days. My theory is you have to ease yourself back into the stupidity

I like this idea. 

2018-05-22 8:18 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by amd723

Welcome back! Hope you like the non-stop rain!

I'll take the rain, we need it badly. How are you doing up there, is it bad?

I don't know what the official rain tally is, but i'm pretty sure i'm growing mold. On me!  We may have a few days of partial sun, then the weekend is back to lots of rain

2018-05-22 8:38 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I don't know what the official rain tally is, but i'm pretty sure i'm growing mold. On me!  We may have a few days of partial sun, then the weekend is back to lots of rain

Here too. After about 24-hours of no rain, we had flooding in Raleigh overnight complete with sinkholes.

The next week is not looking a lot drier. :-(

2018-05-22 9:28 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Ditto here, too.  It only rained part of the day Sunday and we saw the sun for the first time in about a week.  Yesterday was rain-free until the evening, now today is back to rain, rain, rain.  At the moment it looks like Wed, Thur, Fri have some sun in the picture but the weekend + early next week is soggy again.  Hang in there, better weather is surely coming!

2018-05-22 9:36 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Here too. After about 24-hours of no rain, we had flooding in Raleigh overnight complete with sinkholes.

The next week is not looking a lot drier. :-(

Sinkholes are scary! We had some open up at one of the big retirement communities north of here. 

2018-05-23 7:10 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thread re: workouts not uploading to BT

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=551306

Feel free to chime in!

2018-05-23 7:44 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Feel free to chime in!

Hi All,

POL post! I've been mostly lurking here lately. As much as I'd like to claim my workouts are not being uploaded to the system, sadly that's not the case. I've been on the DL for a bit with lower back pain and shoulder bursitis.

I hit the pool yesterday for the first time in nearly a year and it did not go great. I was hoping someone here might have a link to a good back-to-basics training program that features some useful drills that might help after a long layoff.

Looks like the racers here have been crushing it! Great job manatees.
2018-05-23 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Feel free to chime in!

Chimed!
2018-05-23 8:19 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by awm007

Feel free to chime in!

Hi All,POL post! I've been mostly lurking here lately. As much as I'd like to claim my workouts are not being uploaded to the system, sadly that's not the case. I've been on the DL for a bit with lower back pain and shoulder bursitis. I hit the pool yesterday for the first time in nearly a year and it did not go great. I was hoping someone here might have a link to a good back-to-basics training program that features some useful drills that might help after a long layoff. Looks like the racers here have been crushing it! Great job manatees.
Welcome back Adam! Sorry you’ve been dealing with injuries, but good to see you are getting back to it. I don’t have any training plans, but have you looked at the free plans on the site? I’m guessing there is one that can help you ease back into things.
2018-05-23 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Question for those who train with a power meter- do you also use a heart rate monitor?

2018-05-23 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723 Question for those who train with a power meter- do you also use a heart rate monitor?

Both.

2018-05-23 8:57 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Feel free to chime in!

I just popped in to our thread to see if anyone else was experiencing problems so thanks for adding this, Janyne!  I did make mention of the issue on that thread.

2018-05-23 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by amd723 Question for those who train with a power meter- do you also use a heart rate monitor?

Both.

Interesting.  Do you use the HR on both bike and run or just bike?

2018-05-23 9:56 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Feel free to chime in!

I just popped in to our thread to see if anyone else was experiencing problems so thanks for adding this, Janyne!  I did make mention of the issue on that thread.

Yeah, well, apparently the site's users are the monitoring tool that BT employs.

I know that they get mad when I say something *should* work. Honestly, though, if they want people to stay on the site and use the logging tools, they need to make that happen. The less it works, the fewer people they will have.

2018-05-23 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Both.

I use it for both. Honestly, it doesn't bother me on the bike. The issues that I have with it are for the run but my power meter doesn't help me there ;-)

And yes, I know running power meters exist but I'm not sure they allow you to ditch your chest strap.

2018-05-23 10:05 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Both.

I use it for both. Honestly, it doesn't bother me on the bike. The issues that I have with it are for the run but my power meter doesn't help me there ;-)

And yes, I know running power meters exist but I'm not sure they allow you to ditch your chest strap.

i have tried to use HR stuff before and end up just ignoring it! And the strap is annoying as @#$% .  But, this morning i was discussing my soon to be (hopefully Garmin will ship as expected) PM with the guy who runs the vision quest cycling workouts and he mentioned that he uses power, heart rate and cadence as his metrics when riding. The power and heart rate being the more important ones. We had a discussion about it and i am now questioning whether i need to add heart rate while on the bike. I refuse to use it on my runs!!! Of course, i could just go out and swim, bike, and run; but then I wouldn't have to spend all the $$   

2018-05-23 11:23 AM

User image

Both.

Has anyone tried the Scosche HRM? It's wrist based and according to DC Rainmaker very accurate. I don't ride with power and although the chest strap bothers me, I've kind of learnt to deal with it.
2018-05-23 12:36 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Both.

Has anyone tried the Scosche HRM? It's wrist based and according to DC Rainmaker very accurate. I don't ride with power and although the chest strap bothers me, I've kind of learnt to deal with it.

Funny you should ask... I just ordered one!  Decided to take advantage of clever training's' sale and generous return policy and try it out to see if i like it.

2018-05-23 1:44 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Pennsylvania

Both.

Yup, me!  I am a full convert.  The chest strap caused a horrible rash (yes I kept it clean, yes I washed it, blah blah blah it's my sensitive skin, trust me) so I needed some other solution.  The Scosche arm band is great!  I have the 'old' version but just ordered the 'new' version (which is on backorder or delayed shipment or something).  Ordered the new one only because of improved features such as battery life indicator plus waterproofness up to 3 meters.

2018-05-23 2:57 PM

User image

Cool! Please let me/the pod know how you like it.

2018-05-23 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Both.

Yup, me!  I am a full convert.  The chest strap caused a horrible rash (yes I kept it clean, yes I washed it, blah blah blah it's my sensitive skin, trust me) so I needed some other solution.  The Scosche arm band is great!  I have the 'old' version but just ordered the 'new' version (which is on backorder or delayed shipment or something).  Ordered the new one only because of improved features such as battery life indicator plus waterproofness up to 3 meters.

I am happy to read that you are a fan of the Scoshe! I considered the newer version, but it looks like there is no time frame for when the product will be available and i want to get started with this new newfangled   heart rate thing this weekend . Also since i don't plan on using it while swimming, I decided I could save a few dollars and go with the less cool one! 

2018-05-23 6:00 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Both power and HR, although the workouts are generally written with power targets, not HR. The exception would be for a few "recovery" type workouts if I'm getting over illness or a hard race, where I might try to keep HR within a recovery zone, or sometimes if I have to do a workout on my road bike instead (because my tri bike is across the pond, or packed for shipping already--the PM is on its cranks).

I do look at HR as a clue about what's happening if the workout's not going well. Too high and could be overheating or coming down with something. Too low and feeling sluggish early on means I probably need more warmup.

I find HR more useful for run training. For some reaso,n I have real problems picking up a GPS signal with my run Garmin in Vietnam. It's been that way with a couple of different models. Even when I do get a signal, the "pace" changes a lot with no obvious change in effort or terrain. Not sure if due to signal strength, interference, lots of tree cover and tight turns on my loops, or what. So HR works better as a metric for effort on runs. I don't like the chest strap when running--it tends to slip down and I actually ordered a smaller size for women and kids to solve that--but have heard the wrist ones don't work on everyone. My skin is pretty dark for a white person so not sure I want to spend $$ on something that might not work....Have they resolved that issue yet?
2018-05-23 8:03 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Both power and HR, although the workouts are generally written with power targets, not HR. The exception would be for a few "recovery" type workouts if I'm getting over illness or a hard race, where I might try to keep HR within a recovery zone, or sometimes if I have to do a workout on my road bike instead (because my tri bike is across the pond, or packed for shipping already--the PM is on its cranks).

I do look at HR as a clue about what's happening if the workout's not going well. Too high and could be overheating or coming down with something. Too low and feeling sluggish early on means I probably need more warmup.

I find HR more useful for run training. For some reaso,n I have real problems picking up a GPS signal with my run Garmin in Vietnam. It's been that way with a couple of different models. Even when I do get a signal, the "pace" changes a lot with no obvious change in effort or terrain. Not sure if due to signal strength, interference, lots of tree cover and tight turns on my loops, or what. So HR works better as a metric for effort on runs. I don't like the chest strap when running--it tends to slip down and I actually ordered a smaller size for women and kids to solve that--but have heard the wrist ones don't work on everyone. My skin is pretty dark for a white person so not sure I want to spend $$ on something that might not work....Have they resolved that issue yet?
Karen did you settle on a new tri watch yet? Just asking because my 735 has wrist HR and I have found it to be pretty accurate. My friend K has a 235 which uses the same HR technology and she had to do an exercise stress test a few months back. Out of curiosity she set her watch going at the same time and checked the watches HR reading with the Drs ECG readings (which she could see) and the watch was only 1 or 2 BPM different from the ECG.

My sister also has a 235 and she has very dark skin and the HR works fine for her. I never seem to have issues either but my skin is translucent
2018-05-23 9:44 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Nope--haven't gone looking for a new watch yet as prices are higher in Asia and there is less selection. I'm holding off at least till I go back to the US next month. Anyway I haven't really started IM training yet so my workouts haven't gone much over 4 to 4 1/2 total (for the longest bricks), nor races much over 5 1/2 hours.

Wrist HR would be nice. I don't race with HR because I can't stand the chest strap and don't want to swim in it (some models can't be used in, or won't work, or the swim anyway).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13459 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27148 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis