BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-05-24 9:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED

I'm sure many of you have heard about the biker on biker violence that happened back in April on a multi-use trail in Virginia - a rider clotheslined a rider travelling in the opposite direction, seriously injuring him.  I learned yesterday that my coach helped catch the guy!  Strava tells all...Coach was out with his wife on a training ride the same morning as the incident and around the same time.  After he heard about the goings-on, he did a little digging on Strava: found the guy by using Fly-By, found the data files (of course) showing HR, cadence, etc., and also was able to track him down via Instagram on which the guy had pictures of himself wearing some of the clothing/gear and pics of the bike that the victim described. 

The Strava data showed a slight decrease in speed/cadence (going down a slight grade) while showing an 8 bpm HR increase right in the area of the incident, followed by a sharp acceleration to beat it out of there.  Apparently the jerk made his own personal, private segment there (public segments on that trail get removed because of safety reasons) which he was trying to beat.

Coach contacted the local law enforcement and worked with them to help them understand how Strava works and shared his findings.  They were able to bring the guy in but he got out on bail.  First thing the alleged perp does is quickly turns his IG and Strava accounts to private instead of public - but it's too late. Coach had the link to the ride before he made it private so it still works, plus he had made screen shots of the data.

Moral of the story:  Well, first don't be a d*ck to others on the trail especially for no apparent reason but secondly don't use Strava or  Garmin or social media while committing crimes!

Edited by melbo55 2018-05-24 9:32 AM

2018-05-24 9:45 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

I'm sure many of you have heard about the biker on biker violence that happened back in April on a multi-use trail in Virginia - a rider clotheslined a rider travelling in the opposite direction, seriously injuring him.  I learned yesterday that my coach helped catch the guy!  Strava tells all...Coach was out with his wife on a training ride the same morning as the incident and around the same time.  After he heard about the goings-on, he did a little digging on Strava: found the guy by using Fly-By, found the data files (of course) showing HR, cadence, etc., and also was able to track him down via Instagram on which the guy had pictures of himself wearing some of the clothing/gear and pics of the bike that the victim described. 

The Strava data showed a slight decrease in speed/cadence (going down a slight grade) while showing an 8 bpm HR increase right in the area of the incident, followed by a sharp acceleration to beat it out of there.  Apparently the jerk made his own personal, private segment there (public segments on that trail get removed because of safety reasons) which he was trying to beat.

Coach contacted the local law enforcement and worked with them to help them understand how Strava works and shared his findings.  They were able to bring the guy in but he got out on bail.  First thing the alleged perp does is quickly turns his IG and Strava accounts to private instead of public - but it's too late. Coach had the link to the ride before he made it private so it still works, plus he had made screen shots of the data.

Moral of the story:  Well, first don't be a d*ck to others on the trail especially for no apparent reason but secondly don't use Strava or  Garmin or social media while committing crimes!

Great sleuthing by your coach!  And, great moral of the stories by you  

2018-05-24 11:16 AM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

That's awesome!  This happened on the trail right next to my house that I run/ride on all the time.  I'd heard that they caught the guy through Strava but had no idea how exactly. 

2018-05-24 12:35 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

wicked cool! Glad they caught the guy!

There was some talk about seeing if people could use Strava to catch the IMTX drafters too. Big brother is always watching!!
2018-05-25 6:52 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Ok pod! I need some suggestions....my friend is running her first 50K this weekend. I want to get her something that says congrats.

I was hoping buff would have something cool that looks like a trail running thing - but nothing struck me.
Now I'm thinking maybe some etsy custom jewelry.

What was the best run/tri gift you received for a milestone?
2018-05-25 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I can only remember two.....My dad bought me my first pair of running shoes after I broke six minutes for the mile. High standards, huh? He said I didn't need running shoes until I was really running, not jogging. I did a 5:58 running around the block, at age 12. I do still remember what they looked like and the model--gold Nike Tempests with a blue swoosh. But maybe not practical for your friend.

At one point my parents bought me a gold runner charm on a gold chain. I had it for years, but don't know where it is now. Not sure what it was in celebration of, but I loved it for years. Maybe something like that? There are also some companies that make cool shirts, hoodies, etc. with run and tri-related stuff. I just got an awesome one from a new Vietnamese athletic clothing company that says, "Eat (pic of rice bowl), sleep (pic of hammock), tri (symbols for swim/bike/run), repeat (recycle symbol). Love it!

As an adult, it's always been me buying myself something, or some piece of treasured race swag. (I will defend my Olympic Trials shoelaces with my LIFE!) I've promised myself that if I actually finish a full Ironman, I will treat myself to one of the Ironman dresses. (They're in the online store. I'm known at work for my unusual dresses, many of which I design myself. These would be my kind of look, more so than sweats, etc.)

2018-05-25 8:08 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Ok pod! I need some suggestions....my friend is running her first 50K this weekend. I want to get her something that says congrats. I was hoping buff would have something cool that looks like a trail running thing - but nothing struck me. Now I'm thinking maybe some etsy custom jewelry. What was the best run/tri gift you received for a milestone?

I was given an IM Louisville coffee cup, tri top, and visor last year for my first IM. Of course I DNF'd that race, so i haven't used them.   Though, it was my first DNF, so maybe I can use them afterall   

Other than that, i really haven't received anything; unless you count a celebratory beer! The only time I've given anything is to a friend who hiked the Appalachian Trail. We gave her things like depends pre-hike, post hike I gave her a shirt that said Beast on it, but Beast only emerges when you get the shirt wet/sweaty, so she didn't know! 

2018-05-25 8:09 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Great sleuthing by your coach!  And, great moral of the stories by you  

+1

2018-05-25 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Ok pod! I need some suggestions....my friend is running her first 50K this weekend. I want to get her something that says congrats. I was hoping buff would have something cool that looks like a trail running thing - but nothing struck me. Now I'm thinking maybe some etsy custom jewelry. What was the best run/tri gift you received for a milestone?

Sorry, I can't help. No one ever gets me nothin'! I've purchased a few things for myself -- mostly necklaces since I don't think that wearing your medal to work is appropriate ;-)

2018-05-25 8:14 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Both power and HR, although the workouts are generally written with power targets, not HR. The exception would be for a few "recovery" type workouts if I'm getting over illness or a hard race, where I might try to keep HR within a recovery zone, or sometimes if I have to do a workout on my road bike instead (because my tri bike is across the pond, or packed for shipping already--the PM is on its cranks). I do look at HR as a clue about what's happening if the workout's not going well. Too high and could be overheating or coming down with something. Too low and feeling sluggish early on means I probably need more warmup. I find HR more useful for run training. For some reaso,n I have real problems picking up a GPS signal with my run Garmin in Vietnam. It's been that way with a couple of different models. Even when I do get a signal, the "pace" changes a lot with no obvious change in effort or terrain. Not sure if due to signal strength, interference, lots of tree cover and tight turns on my loops, or what. So HR works better as a metric for effort on runs. I don't like the chest strap when running--it tends to slip down and I actually ordered a smaller size for women and kids to solve that--but have heard the wrist ones don't work on everyone. My skin is pretty dark for a white person so not sure I want to spend $$ on something that might not work....Have they resolved that issue yet?

What I've read is that on darker skin people the monitor works well, but the battery life is a little bit shorter as it uses more juice to penetrate the skin.  I am rather pale, so I cannot confirm this is true, but i believe when i was researching the monitor that i ended up buying that i saw reviews from people who said they had dark skin and it worked fine.

2018-05-25 8:17 AM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Ok pod! I need some suggestions....my friend is running her first 50K this weekend. I want to get her something that says congrats.

I was hoping buff would have something cool that looks like a trail running thing - but nothing struck me.
Now I'm thinking maybe some etsy custom jewelry.

What was the best run/tri gift you received for a milestone?
Lunch

2018-05-25 8:18 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723 Question for those who train with a power meter- do you also use a heart rate monitor?

Both.

Interesting.  Do you use the HR on both bike and run or just bike?

I use it for both. Honestly, it doesn't bother me on the bike. The issues that I have with it are for the run but my power meter doesn't help me there ;-)

And yes, I know running power meters exist but I'm not sure they allow you to ditch your chest strap.

Has anyone tried the Scosche HRM? It's wrist based and according to DC Rainmaker very accurate. I don't ride with power and although the chest strap bothers me, I've kind of learnt to deal with it.

I got my schosche HRM yesterday and used it today for a trainer ride. It is so much better than using a chest strap!  You can place it either on your inside lower arm just below the elbow or on your inside upper arm.  I tried both places and found the upper arm to be the most comfortable for me.  I didn't even notice it was there and the signal was strong - never dropped out, never had any weird readings etc.  I'm still not convinced i will use HR other than as a check and balance with the PM stuff, but if i were to start using it for run training this strap would not bother me at all.

2018-05-25 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723 Question for those who train with a power meter- do you also use a heart rate monitor?

Both.

I use it for both. Honestly, it doesn't bother me on the bike. The issues that I have with it are for the run but my power meter doesn't help me there ;-)

And yes, I know running power meters exist but I'm not sure they allow you to ditch your chest strap.

Has anyone tried the Scosche HRM? It's wrist based and according to DC Rainmaker very accurate. I don't ride with power and although the chest strap bothers me, I've kind of learnt to deal with it.

I got my schosche HRM yesterday and used it today for a trainer ride. It is so much better than using a chest strap!  You can place it either on your inside lower arm just below the elbow or on your inside upper arm.  I tried both places and found the upper arm to be the most comfortable for me.  I didn't even notice it was there and the signal was strong - never dropped out, never had any weird readings etc.  I'm still not convinced i will use HR other than as a check and balance with the PM stuff, but if i were to start using it for run training this strap would not bother me at all.

Thanks for the review! Maybe we need some icons to indicate Two out of Two Manatees Approve!

2018-05-25 8:50 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Both.

Thanks for the review! Maybe we need some icons to indicate Two out of Two Manatees Approve!

I'm glad you like it, Ann-Marie!  I usually wear mine on my bicep area but have worn it on my forearm, too.

Janyne, I LOVE the manatee rating system!

2018-05-25 8:57 AM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

After my first marathon, my friends gave me a gift card for pedicure because I had been complaining about how awful my feet looked during training.  A massage might be cool also. 

I usually get a charm for every milestone - m-dot earrings, ragnar charm necklace, 26.2 charm, etc.  I bet they have 50K charms also.

My friend has also bought me a shirt advertising the event and distance - I didn't want to buy anything before I knew I'd finish, and she knew I'd be too tired to shop after the race. 

Maybe a cool frame for her finish line photo?

Having a cupcake and cold beverage waiting for me at the finish line is always a favorite

2018-05-25 9:03 AM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jenstewey

After my first marathon, my friends gave me a gift card for pedicure because I had been complaining about how awful my feet looked during training.  A massage might be cool also. 

I usually get a charm for every milestone - m-dot earrings, ragnar charm necklace, 26.2 charm, etc.  I bet they have 50K charms also.

My friend has also bought me a shirt advertising the event and distance - I didn't want to buy anything before I knew I'd finish, and she knew I'd be too tired to shop after the race. 

Maybe a cool frame for her finish line photo?

Having a cupcake and cold beverage waiting for me at the finish line is always a favorite

Some of you know that I often ride with a group called Team Mimosa. I think that you can guess how they got their name?

They have shirts that say, "You can't drink all day... unless you start in the morning."

2018-05-25 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Both.

I'm glad you like it, Ann-Marie!  I usually wear mine on my bicep area but have worn it on my forearm, too.

Janyne, I LOVE the manatee rating system!

Yes, love the rating system!

2018-05-25 9:24 AM

User image

Wow, busy Friday! That's awesome that they caught the guy by tracking his Strava! All I can say is I hope he goes away for a long time. Messing with someone in general is not cool but someone on a workout....awful!

Thanks for the Schoche feedback. During a tri, would your plan be to leave it in transition and throw it on before the bike? As much as I don't like the chest strap, not having to worry about it during the entire race is a plus. I also like the Garmin "Run Dynamics" which shows me step by step how I blow I and how slow my cadence is . Does the Schoche do anything like that?

Cool gifts....my mom bought be the USA Tri frame which included your bib, medal and room for a pic after my first Age Group Nationals and I've also been given a cool medal holder. I can't find it online but something along these lines:

https://www.runningonthewall.com/triathlons-on-the-wall-s/137.htm

2018-05-25 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 26-27
Jim - Holy Spokes Bike Tour on Saturday
Dave - Tour of Kincardine - 22.5km groad race on Sunday
Robin K - Bolder Boulder 10k on Monday

Is anyone else racing?

2018-05-25 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook Wow, busy Friday! That's awesome that they caught the guy by tracking his Strava! All I can say is I hope he goes away for a long time. Messing with someone in general is not cool but someone on a workout....awful! Thanks for the Schoche feedback. During a tri, would your plan be to leave it in transition and throw it on before the bike? As much as I don't like the chest strap, not having to worry about it during the entire race is a plus. I also like the Garmin "Run Dynamics" which shows me step by step how I blow I and how slow my cadence is . Does the Schoche do anything like that? Cool gifts....my mom bought be the USA Tri frame which included your bib, medal and room for a pic after my first Age Group Nationals and I've also been given a cool medal holder. I can't find it online but something along these lines: https://www.runningonthewall.com/triathlons-on-the-wall-s/137.htm

Schoche does track various metrics. Here is DCRainmaker's review of the soon to be released version. It does a lot more than the version i have, so if you already have a HR monitor, you may want to wait for this one.   

2018-05-25 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

May 26-27

Is anyone else racing?

Nice change of pace on the racing front this week!  Good luck all.

Robin I am jealous you are doing Bolder Boulder.  A friend of mine has done it many times and keeps trying to get a group together to go with him.  It is a real possibility for 2019! 

2018-05-25 10:05 AM

User image

Originally posted by TXTriRook Wow, busy Friday! That's awesome that they caught the guy by tracking his Strava! All I can say is I hope he goes away for a long time. Messing with someone in general is not cool but someone on a workout....awful! Thanks for the Schoche feedback. During a tri, would your plan be to leave it in transition and throw it on before the bike? As much as I don't like the chest strap, not having to worry about it during the entire race is a plus. I also like the Garmin "Run Dynamics" which shows me step by step how I blow I and how slow my cadence is . Does the Schoche do anything like that? Cool gifts....my mom bought be the USA Tri frame which included your bib, medal and room for a pic after my first Age Group Nationals and I've also been given a cool medal holder. I can't find it online but something along these lines: https://www.runningonthewall.com/triathlons-on-the-wall-s/137.htm

Schoche does track various metrics. Here is DCRainmaker's review of the soon to be released version. It does a lot more than the version i have, so if you already have a HR monitor, you may want to wait for this one.   

Thanks, looks like a real potential game changer. I'm yet to meet anyone that really likes their chest strap.
2018-05-25 11:23 AM
in reply to: #5232372

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Forgot to respond to the HRM convo. I used the Scosche while training for IMChoo. I wore it just below the elbow. It was usually pretty good, once in a while I’d have issues with it reading and have to adjust it. Mostly, though, I give it a thumbs up.
2018-05-25 11:29 AM
in reply to: #5243804

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Go racers!

I’m also in the jealous of Robin’s BB run. We’re headed to Denver but I couldn’t get anyone to do it with me . Not that I need company for a ten k but that one is best shared.
2018-05-25 2:36 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

May 26-27

Is anyone else racing?

An event all 3 days, cool!  GOOOOO RACERS!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13216 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 26771 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis