BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-05-25 2:37 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED

Originally posted by rrrunner Go racers! I’m also in the jealous of Robin’s BB run. We’re headed to Denver but I couldn’t get anyone to do it with me . Not that I need company for a ten k but that one is best shared.

Maybe we should make it a Manatee Meetup goal in 2019, you know, so us flatlanders can gasp for breath like beached carp.

2018-05-25 10:07 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by rrrunner Go racers! I’m also in the jealous of Robin’s BB run. We’re headed to Denver but I couldn’t get anyone to do it with me . Not that I need company for a ten k but that one is best shared.

Maybe we should make it a Manatee Meetup goal in 2019, you know, so us flatlanders can gasp for breath like beached carp.

Hmmm...A 2019 BoulderBoulder Manatee meetup is a great idea! The BB is definitely a group race climate. I'm running with DH (shh... don't tell him but my goal may be to beat him, hehe)

We could also celebrate my retirement after the race. Did I mention that after yesterday I only have ONE more last day of school?!?!?!?

Good luck to all other racers out there!
2018-05-26 5:27 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Thanks for the ideas! I'll let you know what I end up with.

Robin you're retiring?! JELLY!

Good luck all this weekend!!
2018-05-26 12:51 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Expert
I had a good ride, especially for the first time out and not on a trainer. The only glitch is "someone" paused both my watch and bike computer a couple of seconds into the ride.
Even though it's not a race I took fourth place. But it's not a race. It's funny, because for the 50 mile course is ridden a lot like a race, and everyone knows what place they finished in.
2018-05-26 1:03 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I had a good ride, especially for the first time out and not on a trainer. The only glitch is "someone" paused both my watch and bike computer a couple of seconds into the ride. Even though it's not a race I took fourth place. But it's not a race. It's funny, because for the 50 mile course is ridden a lot like a race, and everyone knows what place they finished in.

congratulations! Glad you had such a good ride, but you really need to talk The that someone about messing with your watch cuz if it’s not recorded it doesnt really count

2018-05-27 7:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by amd723 Question for those who train with a power meter- do you also use a heart rate monitor?

Both.

Interesting.  Do you use the HR on both bike and run or just bike?

I use it for both. Honestly, it doesn't bother me on the bike. The issues that I have with it are for the run but my power meter doesn't help me there ;-)

And yes, I know running power meters exist but I'm not sure they allow you to ditch your chest strap.

Has anyone tried the Scosche HRM? It's wrist based and according to DC Rainmaker very accurate. I don't ride with power and although the chest strap bothers me, I've kind of learnt to deal with it.

I got my schosche HRM yesterday and used it today for a trainer ride. It is so much better than using a chest strap!  You can place it either on your inside lower arm just below the elbow or on your inside upper arm.  I tried both places and found the upper arm to be the most comfortable for me.  I didn't even notice it was there and the signal was strong - never dropped out, never had any weird readings etc.  I'm still not convinced i will use HR other than as a check and balance with the PM stuff, but if i were to start using it for run training this strap would not bother me at all.

Thanks for the review! Maybe we need some icons to indicate Two out of Two Manatees Approve!

Make it 3 out of 3 Manatees. I was using my garmin Run HRM, but it failed to connect on any workout this week. I replaced the battery, but it's still not connecting. I pulled out my Scosche Rhythm+ (that I haven't used in 3 year), charged it, connected it, and voila. I had forgotten how much I liked it compared to the chest strap. I've never had it drop and the HR data looks solid.

I wear mine on my lower arm just below the bend of my elbow.

Edited by glfprncs 2018-05-27 7:56 AM

2018-05-27 8:08 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Bike hitch receiver question. After 5 years of putting my bike in the back of my car (and buying my last car, a Subaru Crosstrek, ONLY because the dogs OR the bike would fit comfortably in the back), I have purchased a hitch mount bike rack (the 1-Up USA single).

Getting a hitch receiver installed next week. My question is, should I go with a 2" or a 1.25" receiver? The rack will accommodate either.

Don't know if it matters, but the design of the Subaru is that the hitch receiver is integrated into the rear bumper. There's a plastic 'popout' in the bumper's plastic where the receiver will be located rather than below the bumper.
2018-05-27 8:32 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by glfprncs Bike hitch receiver question. After 5 years of putting my bike in the back of my car (and buying my last car, a Subaru Crosstrek, ONLY because the dogs OR the bike would fit comfortably in the back), I have purchased a hitch mount bike rack (the 1-Up USA single). Getting a hitch receiver installed next week. My question is, should I go with a 2" or a 1.25" receiver? The rack will accommodate either. Don't know if it matters, but the design of the Subaru is that the hitch receiver is integrated into the rear bumper. There's a plastic 'popout' in the bumper's plastic where the receiver will be located rather than below the bumper.

A question I am finally qualified to answer. It looks like you have a 1.25 rack, with an adapter for the 2 inch receiver. If the only thing you will ever use the hitch assembly for is the bike rack, get a 1.25. It may feel less shaky. That said, if there is a chance that you may use a different rack or tow connector, go with the 2, as most everything comes with the adapter. I have a 1.25 on the van as well as the back of the pop-up, and a 2 on the Mazda (it came with it). My 4 bike rack is a 1.25 and quite honestly, using it on any of them is fine.

2018-05-27 8:38 AM

User image

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by glfprncs Bike hitch receiver question. After 5 years of putting my bike in the back of my car (and buying my last car, a Subaru Crosstrek, ONLY because the dogs OR the bike would fit comfortably in the back), I have purchased a hitch mount bike rack (the 1-Up USA single). Getting a hitch receiver installed next week. My question is, should I go with a 2" or a 1.25" receiver? The rack will accommodate either. Don't know if it matters, but the design of the Subaru is that the hitch receiver is integrated into the rear bumper. There's a plastic 'popout' in the bumper's plastic where the receiver will be located rather than below the bumper.

A question I am finally qualified to answer. It looks like you have a 1.25 rack, with an adapter for the 2 inch receiver. If the only thing you will ever use the hitch assembly for is the bike rack, get a 1.25. It may feel less shaky. That said, if there is a chance that you may use a different rack or tow connector, go with the 2, as most everything comes with the adapter. I have a 1.25 on the van as well as the back of the pop-up, and a 2 on the Mazda (it came with it). My 4 bike rack is a 1.25 and quite honestly, using it on any of them is fine.

Thanks, Chris. I was thinking that going with the 1.25" would be best because as you said, the 1.25" to 2" adapter is just one more link to the sway puzzle. My brother also recommends the 1.25" because then no one would be 'dumb' enough to try to pull something they shouldn't with a small SUV because it had a 2" receiver. LOL.
2018-05-27 1:26 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

Bike hitch receiver question. After 5 years of putting my bike in the back of my car (and buying my last car, a Subaru Crosstrek, ONLY because the dogs OR the bike would fit comfortably in the back), I have purchased a hitch mount bike rack (the 1-Up USA single).

Getting a hitch receiver installed next week. My question is, should I go with a 2" or a 1.25" receiver? The rack will accommodate either.

Don't know if it matters, but the design of the Subaru is that the hitch receiver is integrated into the rear bumper. There's a plastic 'popout' in the bumper's plastic where the receiver will be located rather than below the bumper.

Fwiw we've always put class III (2inch) on our outbacks (4). I think it's much more stable with more bikes. We have two thule t2 racks (and one add on for four total) and with that much weight I'd want the 2".

But if you're only doing 1 and the rack is 1.25 then that's probably fine.

Also mounting below the bumper is no big deal. I actually prefer the clean look of the intact oem bumper.
2018-05-29 10:26 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
So you may have heard that the road signs for the upcoming IM Raleigh 70.3 were hacked to read "Expect delays due to idiots on bikes" and in another version with "due to a-holes on bikes". One story can be found here: https://www.wral.com/along-ironman-route-signs-hacked-to-insult-idio...

This has made a good bit of local news this weekend with the race coming up soon (for the last time, sadly IM has discontinued it). Seems like a lot of bikers have taken this very personally. I get that there can be a lot of animosity from drivers towards bikers and there have been a fair number of bikers hit by cars here. Even though I've done this race twice, the prankster in me can't help but appreciate the effort that went into this and having a good chuckle. I thought it was a solid gag.

2018-05-29 10:59 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by awm007 So you may have heard that the road signs for the upcoming IM Raleigh 70.3 were hacked to read "Expect delays due to idiots on bikes" and in another version with "due to a-holes on bikes". One story can be found here: https://www.wral.com/along-ironman-route-signs-hacked-to-insult-idio... This has made a good bit of local news this weekend with the race coming up soon (for the last time, sadly IM has discontinued it). Seems like a lot of bikers have taken this very personally. I get that there can be a lot of animosity from drivers towards bikers and there have been a fair number of bikers hit by cars here. Even though I've done this race twice, the prankster in me can't help but appreciate the effort that went into this and having a good chuckle. I thought it was a solid gag.

I got a laugh from it too, but if someone else decides to throw tacks on the road or do some other "joke" that can hurt or otherwise interfere with the race, that is not so funny.  Crazy that we have to worry about such things!!

2018-05-29 11:51 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by melbo55

Hmmm...A 2019 BoulderBoulder Manatee meetup is a great idea! The BB is definitely a group race climate. I'm running with DH (shh... don't tell him but my goal may be to beat him, hehe) We could also celebrate my retirement after the race. Did I mention that after yesterday I only have ONE more last day of school?!?!?!? Good luck to all other racers out there!

I hope that the race went well :-)

Definitely jealous!

2018-05-29 12:44 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by awm007

So you may have heard that the road signs for the upcoming IM Raleigh 70.3 were hacked to read "Expect delays due to idiots on bikes" and in another version with "due to a-holes on bikes". One story can be found here: https://www.wral.com/along-ironman-route-signs-hacked-to-insult-idio...

This has made a good bit of local news this weekend with the race coming up soon (for the last time, sadly IM has discontinued it). Seems like a lot of bikers have taken this very personally. I get that there can be a lot of animosity from drivers towards bikers and there have been a fair number of bikers hit by cars here. Even though I've done this race twice, the prankster in me can't help but appreciate the effort that went into this and having a good chuckle. I thought it was a solid gag.

I think if the language wasn't so antagonistic I would agree that it could deserve a good chuckle.

Based on that and the fact that there is animosity between drivers and bikers already I find it incredibly disturbing.
2018-05-29 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi Everyone

A bit of a proof of life post from me. I have been struggling a little bit lately with everything. It happens for me every year when the sun disappears. So I am attempting to make a few changes to make things better.

The first one is that I and a couple of other girls from the office are walking around the block at lunchtime. This gets us out in the sun shine for about 30 minutes each time we go and so it is helping to lift my mood. I am also looking at sourcing an alarm clock that simulates the sunrise to wake you up (not sure that Phil will appreciate that but too bad).
The second is that I am letting some of my race challenges go. This means that I have decided that the 2018km in 2018 challenge that mum signed me up for is not something that I am going to worry about. If it happens it happens if it doesn't then it isn't a big deal at all. I have also decided that I am going to sign up for the 10k runs with the winter trail series rather than the HMs. This takes some pressure of and will let me just enjoy running these great events with some great people. S from work is joining Mum and E and I.
So that makes my two main goals breaking 2:30 at the September half and 6:00 at the October Marathon. Everything else is just great events that I get to enjoy with great people.

Maybe its all psychological but this morning I managed to get dressed and go for a run in the dark and actually enjoyed doing it, or maybe taking the pressure off myself has helped. Being honest there is a nagging part of my brain that is telling me that I am soft and have taken the easy way out, but hopefully that will shut up eventually.
2018-05-29 9:31 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi Everyone A bit of a proof of life post from me. I have been struggling a little bit lately with everything. It happens for me every year when the sun disappears. So I am attempting to make a few changes to make things better. The first one is that I and a couple of other girls from the office are walking around the block at lunchtime. This gets us out in the sun shine for about 30 minutes each time we go and so it is helping to lift my mood. I am also looking at sourcing an alarm clock that simulates the sunrise to wake you up (not sure that Phil will appreciate that but too bad). The second is that I am letting some of my race challenges go. This means that I have decided that the 2018km in 2018 challenge that mum signed me up for is not something that I am going to worry about. If it happens it happens if it doesn't then it isn't a big deal at all. I have also decided that I am going to sign up for the 10k runs with the winter trail series rather than the HMs. This takes some pressure of and will let me just enjoy running these great events with some great people. S from work is joining Mum and E and I. So that makes my two main goals breaking 2:30 at the September half and 6:00 at the October Marathon. Everything else is just great events that I get to enjoy with great people. Maybe its all psychological but this morning I managed to get dressed and go for a run in the dark and actually enjoyed doing it, or maybe taking the pressure off myself has helped. Being honest there is a nagging part of my brain that is telling me that I am soft and have taken the easy way out, but hopefully that will shut up eventually.

I like to look at it like:

Pressure off = some training (even if not as much as planned or intended) >>>> Pressure on = no training.

I know for me, my brain tells me that I am giving up when I am in that dark place.  I thank it for it's opinion and then tell myself that I am doing the best I am able at the time.  You can dooooo eeeeet

2018-05-29 10:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi Everyone A bit of a proof of life post from me. I have been struggling a little bit lately with everything. It happens for me every year when the sun disappears. So I am attempting to make a few changes to make things better. The first one is that I and a couple of other girls from the office are walking around the block at lunchtime. This gets us out in the sun shine for about 30 minutes each time we go and so it is helping to lift my mood. I am also looking at sourcing an alarm clock that simulates the sunrise to wake you up (not sure that Phil will appreciate that but too bad). The second is that I am letting some of my race challenges go. This means that I have decided that the 2018km in 2018 challenge that mum signed me up for is not something that I am going to worry about. If it happens it happens if it doesn't then it isn't a big deal at all. I have also decided that I am going to sign up for the 10k runs with the winter trail series rather than the HMs. This takes some pressure of and will let me just enjoy running these great events with some great people. S from work is joining Mum and E and I. So that makes my two main goals breaking 2:30 at the September half and 6:00 at the October Marathon. Everything else is just great events that I get to enjoy with great people. Maybe its all psychological but this morning I managed to get dressed and go for a run in the dark and actually enjoyed doing it, or maybe taking the pressure off myself has helped. Being honest there is a nagging part of my brain that is telling me that I am soft and have taken the easy way out, but hopefully that will shut up eventually.

Pressure off = some training (even if not as much as planned or intended) >>>> Pressure on = no training.

I know for me, my brain tells me that I am giving up when I am in that dark place.  I thank it for it's opinion and then tell myself that I am doing the best I am able at the time.  You can dooooo eeeeet

The training thing is what I figured out finally. I'm a bit slow on the uptake occasionally.

Edited by StaceyK 2018-05-29 10:32 PM
2018-05-30 2:58 AM

User image

Hi

Sorry not commented in a while but for some reason I couldn't reply or post a comment, changed default browser now and all working fine, only took me a couple of months to work it out!

2018-05-30 8:29 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by tomsimper Hi Sorry not commented in a while but for some reason I couldn't reply or post a comment, changed default browser now and all working fine, only took me a couple of months to work it out!

Glad you found your way back!

2018-05-30 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by awm007 So you may have heard that the road signs for the upcoming IM Raleigh 70.3 were hacked to read "Expect delays due to idiots on bikes" and in another version with "due to a-holes on bikes". One story can be found here: https://www.wral.com/along-ironman-route-signs-hacked-to-insult-idio... This has made a good bit of local news this weekend with the race coming up soon (for the last time, sadly IM has discontinued it). Seems like a lot of bikers have taken this very personally. I get that there can be a lot of animosity from drivers towards bikers and there have been a fair number of bikers hit by cars here. Even though I've done this race twice, the prankster in me can't help but appreciate the effort that went into this and having a good chuckle. I thought it was a solid gag.
I think if the language wasn't so antagonistic I would agree that it could deserve a good chuckle. Based on that and the fact that there is animosity between drivers and bikers already I find it incredibly disturbing.

I'm with you there. I find it highly offensive but, then again, I ride these roads a lot so it feels awfully personal.

2018-05-30 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by IronOx

The training thing is what I figured out finally. I'm a bit slow on the uptake occasionally.

Happy to hear that you've figured out a plan for yourself -to heck with Phil!! 

2018-05-30 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi Everyone A bit of a proof of life post from me. I have been struggling a little bit lately with everything. It happens for me every year when the sun disappears. So I am attempting to make a few changes to make things better. The first one is that I and a couple of other girls from the office are walking around the block at lunchtime. This gets us out in the sun shine for about 30 minutes each time we go and so it is helping to lift my mood.

I feel you, Stacey! For me, the being outside is the key. The sun sure helps but if I do something like take spin classes, that doesn't help as much as getting outside.

I am also looking at sourcing an alarm clock that simulates the sunrise to wake you up (not sure that Phil will appreciate that but too bad).

I know that Kirsten has a light that she uses with good success.

The second is that I am letting some of my race challenges go. This means that I have decided that the 2018km in 2018 challenge that mum signed me up for is not something that I am going to worry about. If it happens it happens if it doesn't then it isn't a big deal at all. I have also decided that I am going to sign up for the 10k runs with the winter trail series rather than the HMs. This takes some pressure of and will let me just enjoy running these great events with some great people. S from work is joining Mum and E and I. So that makes my two main goals breaking 2:30 at the September half and 6:00 at the October Marathon. Everything else is just great events that I get to enjoy with great people. Maybe its all psychological but this morning I managed to get dressed and go for a run in the dark and actually enjoyed doing it, or maybe taking the pressure off myself has helped. Being honest there is a nagging part of my brain that is telling me that I am soft and have taken the easy way out, but hopefully that will shut up eventually.

I think that doing the 10ks is a good idea. I mean, we do this for fun and if this sounds like more fun to you, then do it!  After all, every single race can't be your A race, right? It sounds like your half in September and your full in October are your A races, correct? You can always decide to use the 10ks for speedwork to help support your time goals in your other events -- or else do them as "catered training days." I use the catered training days approach on bike rides sometimes.

2018-05-30 8:41 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by tomsimper Hi Sorry not commented in a while but for some reason I couldn't reply or post a comment, changed default browser now and all working fine, only took me a couple of months to work it out!

Yeah, sometimes one of my browsers does that to me as well. To get around it, I go to the menu in BT and select Tools > Source Code and start typing. After that, it works (even if I get out of the source code part). I reported it to the Powers That Be in January. It must not be a high priority.

2018-05-30 9:16 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Yeah, sometimes one of my browsers does that to me as well. To get around it, I go to the menu in BT and select Tools > Source Code and start typing. After that, it works (even if I get out of the source code part). I reported it to the Powers That Be in January. It must not be a high priority.

It's next on the list:

1. Roll out new icon
  2. Fix website 
2018-05-30 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

It's next on the list:

1. Roll out new icon
  2. Fix website 

hmm, is there a hint of sarcasm here?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13457 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27143 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis