BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-08-06 6:45 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by melbo55

Hmmm, that is indeed strange.  There are a good number of hotels right in town on Main Street, though they are likely charging top dollar.  We've most often rented a house through VRBO but have also stayed in Saranac Lake once or twice (maybe 15 minutes away from Lake Placid).  Again, the homeowners know they can up the charge and demand x amount of minimum nights like the hotels do, so many take advantage of that but there are still some relative deals to be had.  If camping is your thing, there is a KOA near the Whiteface area.

The AirBnB I rented for Chattanooga definitely did this. Required a 5-night minimum for both 70.3 and 140.6 weekends. Still WAY cheaper and WAY more comfortable than hotel rooms though, at least from my perspective. It's ending up being something like $60 per person per night for a huge house less than 2 miles from the race site. Plus, we will cook family dinners and be able to hang out in a big living room, outdoor deck, etc. Can you tell I'm excited? 

I put on my big boy pants and figured it out (got info from a lady my wife met the first time a raced at Louisville. Have i mentioned Michelle always makes friends at my races.) and booked a hotel for way too much money. My older kids do AirBnB, we have never tried it. We are trying the Couch Surfing App. for the first time this weekend. We have a kid staying with us who is taking a kite boarding camp. So, if you don't hear from me by next Monday, I was hacked to pieces by a serial killer. Other than that, it should be fun. We supposedly have one of the top kite boarding spots, I don't have an opinion, but there are a lot of them.

I feel like I do that for every race! Gotta keep the sherpas happy, right?

That's exactly correct. She was told that everything is walking distance from the hotel and she won't have to deal with insane race day traffic. Happy sherpa always beats out way too much money.

2018-08-07 7:58 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Lake Logan peeps, this is a note that I wrote to myself last week and stumbled across again this morning:

In 2016, my Garmin recorded 115.33 miles with 4,265 ft of elevation gain. Half of this is 2132.5 climbing feet.

2018-08-07 8:32 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Lake Logan peeps, this is a note that I wrote to myself last week and stumbled across again this morning:

In 2016, my Garmin recorded 115.33 miles with 4,265 ft of elevation gain. Half of this is 2132.5 climbing feet.

Of course the 115.33 is the Chattanooga bike course. doh!

2018-08-07 12:53 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by lisac957

Hmmm, that is indeed strange.  There are a good number of hotels right in town on Main Street, though they are likely charging top dollar.  We've most often rented a house through VRBO but have also stayed in Saranac Lake once or twice (maybe 15 minutes away from Lake Placid).  Again, the homeowners know they can up the charge and demand x amount of minimum nights like the hotels do, so many take advantage of that but there are still some relative deals to be had.  If camping is your thing, there is a KOA near the Whiteface area.

The AirBnB I rented for Chattanooga definitely did this. Required a 5-night minimum for both 70.3 and 140.6 weekends. Still WAY cheaper and WAY more comfortable than hotel rooms though, at least from my perspective. It's ending up being something like $60 per person per night for a huge house less than 2 miles from the race site. Plus, we will cook family dinners and be able to hang out in a big living room, outdoor deck, etc. Can you tell I'm excited? 

I put on my big boy pants and figured it out (got info from a lady my wife met the first time a raced at Louisville. Have i mentioned Michelle always makes friends at my races.) and booked a hotel for way too much money. My older kids do AirBnB, we have never tried it. We are trying the Couch Surfing App. for the first time this weekend. We have a kid staying with us who is taking a kite boarding camp. So, if you don't hear from me by next Monday, I was hacked to pieces by a serial killer. Other than that, it should be fun. We supposedly have one of the top kite boarding spots, I don't have an opinion, but there are a lot of them.

I feel like I do that for every race! Gotta keep the sherpas happy, right?

That's exactly correct. She was told that everything is walking distance from the hotel and she won't have to deal with insane race day traffic. Happy sherpa always beats out way too much money.

We usually try to do VRBO or AirBnB. For Tremblant in 2015 we stayed on the mountain - roughly .5 mile away for $1,500 for a full week.

For Tremblant in 16 we got a 2 bedroom on site with a washer and dryer.....it was roughly $2,000 USD for Thursday to Tuesday.

Insane.

but it was so nice to be right there
2018-08-07 3:01 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
I finally managed to hook up my trainer to Zwift today. Wow, really like it! I thought it was so much more engaging that even watching TV/movies. Plus I think I pushed quite a lot harder than I would have otherwise too.

Not sure how many Zwift users there are on here, but so far I'm really enjoying it.
2018-08-09 12:55 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by awm007 I finally managed to hook up my trainer to Zwift today. Wow, really like it! I thought it was so much more engaging that even watching TV/movies. Plus I think I pushed quite a lot harder than I would have otherwise too. Not sure how many Zwift users there are on here, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

Cool!  I'm curious about it but never tried it.  I'm glad to hear you are getting a lot out of the program!

2018-08-09 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Good to know! And now to show my ignorance as it relates to elevation gain registered on a Garmin: why isn't the entire 4265 all climbing feet? I'd add more, but then i'd look even dumber 

2018-08-09 1:06 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Good to know! And now to show my ignorance as it relates to elevation gain registered on a Garmin: why isn't the entire 4265 all climbing feet? I'd add more, but then i'd look even dumber 

All 4265 *are* climbing feet. The course in Chattanooga is more than twice as long as the one at Lake Logan. It my head, it was easier to compare by dividing the Chattanooga elevation (or multiplying the Lake Logan elevation which would be about 6200).

2018-08-09 1:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

All 4265 *are* climbing feet. The course in Chattanooga is more than twice as long as the one at Lake Logan. It my head, it was easier to compare by dividing the Chattanooga elevation (or multiplying the Lake Logan elevation which would be about 6200).

doh, got it! I totally spaced on the LL comparison!

Edited by amd723 2018-08-09 1:40 PM
2018-08-10 11:06 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by awm007 I finally managed to hook up my trainer to Zwift today. Wow, really like it! I thought it was so much more engaging that even watching TV/movies. Plus I think I pushed quite a lot harder than I would have otherwise too. Not sure how many Zwift users there are on here, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

I will be in the next few days. I am trying to get the new trainer set up and communicating with everything.

2018-08-10 11:43 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 11-12
Dave - Eager Beaver Stuporcross on Saturday
Melanie - Chiques Challenge on Saturday
Adam - Rex Wellness Sprint on Sunday
Mary S  - Steamboat Springs Olympic Duathlon relay--run legs

Is anyone else racing?

August 15 is Mary G's birthday
August 16 is Karen's birthday

2018-08-10 11:54 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Grab the cheese, folks, I'm bringing the w(h)ine.  My little run/kayak race this weekend just got cancelled because of "...strong recommendations of the river rescue teams and the weather forecast for thunderstorms this evening and during the time of the event, we regretfully had to cancel the race." 

I can't say I'm surprised, I was actually shocked they didn't call it off sooner.  And I'm glad they made the call on the side of safety and not choosing to put people's lives in danger (I'm talking to you, Steelman RD) and wisely notified people in advance.  I truly understand and agree with the decision.

The whining is because my race season has been hit with issue after issue - not one event has gone off as planned or hoped.  Well, except the Michigan ride, that was the only one that went as planned.  Well, and sort-of St. Luke's HM, but it didn't go smoothly.  Bike Towards the Cure: shortened because of niece-in-law's horrible communication skills.  Got the Nerve: stopped to help badly injured friend in wreck and didn't finish. Pedal to Preserve: shortened because of bike rack malfunction + being sick.  Steelman swim: put into water then recalled 10 minutes later because of storms, no one finished.

Yes, I know, #firstworldproblems to be sure.  Keeping my fingers crossed this streak ends now and LP 70.3 goes off without a hitch, that is most important.

2018-08-10 12:05 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

August 11-12

Is anyone else racing?

Dave, that is a great race name, love it!!

My race just got cancelled, so give my portion of luck and well-wishes to Dave, Adam, and Mary S!  

GOOOOOOOO MANATEES!!!!

2018-08-10 12:44 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Grab the cheese, folks, I'm bringing the w(h)ine.  My little run/kayak race this weekend just got cancelled because of "...strong recommendations of the river rescue teams and the weather forecast for thunderstorms this evening and during the time of the event, we regretfully had to cancel the race." 

I can't say I'm surprised, I was actually shocked they didn't call it off sooner.  And I'm glad they made the call on the side of safety and not choosing to put people's lives in danger (I'm talking to you, Steelman RD) and wisely notified people in advance.  I truly understand and agree with the decision.

The whining is because my race season has been hit with issue after issue - not one event has gone off as planned or hoped.  Well, except the Michigan ride, that was the only one that went as planned.  Well, and sort-of St. Luke's HM, but it didn't go smoothly.  Bike Towards the Cure: shortened because of niece-in-law's horrible communication skills.  Got the Nerve: stopped to help badly injured friend in wreck and didn't finish. Pedal to Preserve: shortened because of bike rack malfunction + being sick.  Steelman swim: put into water then recalled 10 minutes later because of storms, no one finished.

Yes, I know, #firstworldproblems to be sure.  Keeping my fingers crossed this streak ends now and LP 70.3 goes off without a hitch, that is most important.

Ugh! I'm so sorry about your race. Sucks.

2018-08-10 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

August 11-12

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck racers! Happy early birthday Mary G and Karen!

2018-08-10 12:46 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

That is a long list of bad race luck! I'm sure LP will be perfect though!!

2018-08-10 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

August 11-12

Is anyone else racing?

Have fun racers! Sorry you don't get to race Mel but I'm glad they played it safe.

2018-08-10 1:31 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Hey, first world problems are still problems. It sucks to put so much time into training just to have your race canceled or cut short. Also, races aren't cheap! So sorry to hear your race was canceled.
2018-08-10 7:21 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

August 11-12

Is anyone else racing?

Go luck racers!
Happy Birthday to our birthday girls!
2018-08-10 8:36 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Actually, I am racing, too. (Or at least running in a race. Will see how the body feels after the HIM 12 days ago.) Crater Lake Rim Run half marathon tomorrow AM. It might be a race; it might just be a supported long run for a T-shirt and medal. BAD air quality from forest fires plus some pretty major altitude (about 5000 to 7800 feet). Good luck to my fellow racers!
2018-08-11 2:08 PM
in reply to: #5232372

User image

Champion
Bronze member
I raced today. First time in a long, long time. And with nearly zero training. Lake lure sprint done.

2018-08-12 7:44 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by awm007

Hey, first world problems are still problems. It sucks to put so much time into training just to have your race canceled or cut short. Also, races aren't cheap! So sorry to hear your race was canceled.

All of this! it sucks to have to back out of races. I have had to back out of many this year as well. I hope Lake Placid goes swimmingly (   )

2018-08-12 7:44 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Actually, I am racing, too. (Or at least running in a race. Will see how the body feels after the HIM 12 days ago.) Crater Lake Rim Run half marathon tomorrow AM. It might be a race; it might just be a supported long run for a T-shirt and medal. BAD air quality from forest fires plus some pretty major altitude (about 5000 to 7800 feet). Good luck to my fellow racers!
I hope your race went well.

2018-08-12 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by ceilidh I raced today. First time in a long, long time. And with nearly zero training. Lake lure sprint done.

Congratulations, I hope you had a good time.

2018-08-12 8:49 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner Actually, I am racing, too. (Or at least running in a race. Will see how the body feels after the HIM 12 days ago.) Crater Lake Rim Run half marathon tomorrow AM. It might be a race; it might just be a supported long run for a T-shirt and medal. BAD air quality from forest fires plus some pretty major altitude (about 5000 to 7800 feet). Good luck to my fellow racers!

Congrats Karen. I hope your body responded well.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13210 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 26735 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis