BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-08-12 11:07 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED
It was okay...Revision on altitude--it went up to almost 9000 feet from 7600 (climbed continuously in the last four miles). On the plus side, we were up above all that smoke and haze--we could just see it as an orangy-brown band far below! I actually don't know what I placed. Three races were going on at the same time and all go in one direction (around rim of Crater Lake). There weren't that many women ahead of me; I passed some women in the last miles but the one I saw up ahead that I never managed to pass was 47, so by definition I didn't win my AG. No idea what I placed overall. It was very cold and windy up there, and we had a long drive down to our friends' place in Arcata, so more interested in getting on the shuttle and getting back to the car and some hot coffee.

It's a very basic race but a cult classic--this is the 43rd year. I think it draws a lot from the ultra and trail-running community (who tend to be less intimidated by the breathtaking altitudes) so it has more of that kind of casual, old-school vibe to it. Less of a race for me and more of an excuse to do my long run in a really amazing place. Will try to upload a pic or two later.

2018-08-13 8:04 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner It was okay...Revision on altitude--it went up to almost 9000 feet from 7600 (climbed continuously in the last four miles). On the plus side, we were up above all that smoke and haze--we could just see it as an orangy-brown band far below! I actually don't know what I placed. Three races were going on at the same time and all go in one direction (around rim of Crater Lake). There weren't that many women ahead of me; I passed some women in the last miles but the one I saw up ahead that I never managed to pass was 47, so by definition I didn't win my AG. No idea what I placed overall. It was very cold and windy up there, and we had a long drive down to our friends' place in Arcata, so more interested in getting on the shuttle and getting back to the car and some hot coffee. It's a very basic race but a cult classic--this is the 43rd year. I think it draws a lot from the ultra and trail-running community (who tend to be less intimidated by the breathtaking altitudes) so it has more of that kind of casual, old-school vibe to it. Less of a race for me and more of an excuse to do my long run in a really amazing place. Will try to upload a pic or two later.

I can't wait to see the photos. It sounds amazing.

2018-08-13 8:14 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner It was okay...Revision on altitude--it went up to almost 9000 feet from 7600 (climbed continuously in the last four miles). On the plus side, we were up above all that smoke and haze--we could just see it as an orangy-brown band far below! I actually don't know what I placed. Three races were going on at the same time and all go in one direction (around rim of Crater Lake). There weren't that many women ahead of me; I passed some women in the last miles but the one I saw up ahead that I never managed to pass was 47, so by definition I didn't win my AG. No idea what I placed overall. It was very cold and windy up there, and we had a long drive down to our friends' place in Arcata, so more interested in getting on the shuttle and getting back to the car and some hot coffee. It's a very basic race but a cult classic--this is the 43rd year. I think it draws a lot from the ultra and trail-running community (who tend to be less intimidated by the breathtaking altitudes) so it has more of that kind of casual, old-school vibe to it. Less of a race for me and more of an excuse to do my long run in a really amazing place. Will try to upload a pic or two later.

One of the reasons i prefer trail races is the laid back vibe of the race! This race sounds amazing and amazingly hard!!

2018-08-13 9:17 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ceilidh I raced today. First time in a long, long time. And with nearly zero training. Lake lure sprint done.

This is simply wonderful!

2018-08-13 9:19 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

You are a beast, in a good way, obviously!  Casual race in a beautiful place makes for a good day, nice work!

2018-08-13 10:22 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Attempt to upload a few pictures. If successful, should be #1 Sea of clouds with Wizard Island peaking out from the rim before the start. #2 Awful selfie with the finisher shirt and medal, after the race, with the lake in the background. In keeping with the "old school" theme, the T-shirt is cotton with a historic looking logo, plus the max altitude on it!

(IMG_20180811_055248058_HDR.jpg)

(IMG_20180811_115740008.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20180811_055248058_HDR.jpg (2986KB - 4 downloads)
IMG_20180811_115740008.jpg (1984KB - 4 downloads)

2018-08-14 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Attempt to upload a few pictures. If successful, should be #1 Sea of clouds with Wizard Island peaking out from the rim before the start. #2 Awful selfie with the finisher shirt and medal, after the race, with the lake in the background. In keeping with the "old school" theme, the T-shirt is cotton with a historic looking logo, plus the max altitude on it!

wow, that’s beautiful !

2018-08-14 9:48 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Hot Runner Attempt to upload a few pictures. If successful, should be #1 Sea of clouds with Wizard Island peaking out from the rim before the start. #2 Awful selfie with the finisher shirt and medal, after the race, with the lake in the background. In keeping with the "old school" theme, the T-shirt is cotton with a historic looking logo, plus the max altitude on it!

wow, that’s beautiful !

X2, that is some pretty cool stuff!

2018-08-14 1:16 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by amd723

wow, that’s beautiful !

X2, that is some pretty cool stuff!

x3. and NO it is NOT an awful selfie!

2018-08-14 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh I raced today. First time in a long, long time. And with nearly zero training. Lake lure sprint done.

Excellent! So glad that you are BACK!

2018-08-14 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It sounds like it was a great race at a gorgeous venue! #AmazingExperience

2018-08-15 8:30 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Excellent! So glad that you are BACK!

Thanks. It felt good, but Boy! do I have a long way to get back to where I was.

2018-08-15 9:10 AM

User image

First day of school with kids.

6th graders are so cute - until December when they are then taller than me!

I get to watch the 8th graders turn human again.

And then there are the 7th graders...
2018-08-15 9:14 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo First day of school with kids. 6th graders are so cute - until December when they are then taller than me! I get to watch the 8th graders turn human again. And then there are the 7th graders...

But what are you doing next August?

2018-08-15 9:45 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by fortissimo First day of school with kids. 6th graders are so cute - until December when they are then taller than me! I get to watch the 8th graders turn human again. And then there are the 7th graders...

Bless you for dealing with The Most Awkward Aged Children.  Oh, middle school is such a tumultuous time!

2018-08-15 10:14 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by melbo55

Bless you for dealing with The Most Awkward Aged Children.  Oh, middle school is such a tumultuous time!

As the parent of a rising HS freshman, I can understand the transitions you see. It's crazy how different 6th and 8th graders are.

2018-08-15 1:22 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Originally posted by jmkizer

But what are you doing next August?

Probably the same thing I did today! It just depends on how the year goes! If I wait that extra year before I retire, my retirement goes up $7/check. Isn't that worth waiting another year?
2018-08-15 2:04 PM

User image

Expert

Middle school kids are the most vicious. You deserve combat pay.
2018-08-15 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Back in NM my (soon to be) granddaughter started second grade yesterday. They sent me a picture. She was adorable with her excited smile, pink dress and pink ankle socks. Sigh....

The kids here in Wisconsin don't start until after Labor Day.

2018-08-16 9:30 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Everyone's back to school next week down here in TX. On an unrelated note, I'm running a very expensive 5K on Sept 9th and I just found out that the finishers medals come with a battery and phone charging port! We always have a big group running it, my mom makes team hats and the swag is awesome. Pretty sure we get wireless Bang & Olufsen headphones this year. Hope everyone's having a great week! I'm pretty sure I lost my HRM somewhere between here and Boulder. I'm not a happy camper!

(B&O.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
B&O.jpg (228KB - 4 downloads)
2018-08-16 10:01 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner

Back in NM my (soon to be) granddaughter started second grade yesterday. They sent me a picture. She was adorable with her excited smile, pink dress and pink ankle socks. Sigh....

Awww, sorry you missed seeing her off on her first day of school!  I hope it went well for her.  How long are you in Wisconsin?

2018-08-16 10:02 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by TXTriRook Everyone's back to school next week down here in TX. On an unrelated note, I'm running a very expensive 5K on Sept 9th and I just found out that the finishers medals come with a battery and phone charging port! We always have a big group running it, my mom makes team hats and the swag is awesome. Pretty sure we get wireless Bang & Olufsen headphones this year. Hope everyone's having a great week! I'm pretty sure I lost my HRM somewhere between here and Boulder. I'm not a happy camper!
Sounds like a great event from the pricey swag to your mom's team hats plus being there with a big team of friends!  Very cool! 

Sorry to hear about your MIA HRM.

2018-08-16 10:22 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by TXTriRook Everyone's back to school next week down here in TX. On an unrelated note, I'm running a very expensive 5K on Sept 9th and I just found out that the finishers medals come with a battery and phone charging port! We always have a big group running it, my mom makes team hats and the swag is awesome. Pretty sure we get wireless Bang & Olufsen headphones this year. Hope everyone's having a great week! I'm pretty sure I lost my HRM somewhere between here and Boulder. I'm not a happy camper!

Speaking of cool (or not) race medals. I am doing a race next weekend that is 10 nautical miles (about 11.5 regular miles). I signed up because it ends at the base where DS2 did his basic training for the Navy.  The race starts at an Air Force base and ends at a Naval base, hence the name Fort 2 Base. So... this years medal is the first of 3 three that will magnetically stick together to form a pretty cool looking 3D, shadow box looking thing. My problem is that this year's medal is representative of the Air Force part. It has a tower that is on that base and it's off center to allow for the Navy part next year. Well, I'm not going to be here next year!!! That's all well and good for someone who can do two or all three of the years but for just this year I will have an off center Air Force tower on my medal   I know, first world problems. I think I'd be less disappointed about the off-center part if it were the Navy part.  

I think the shirt will be pretty cool though.

2018-08-16 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Awww, sorry you missed seeing her off on her first day of school!  I hope it went well for her.  How long are you in Wisconsin?

I'm here for four more weeks. I'm doing a HM in Madison with weekend and an odd distance (see last post) race in Illinois next weekend

2018-08-16 10:57 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

This is the 2nd week of school for most districts in Atlanta - some started the last week in July which blows my mind. 

Selfishly, the lap pool I swim at has been so much less congested since school started and I love it. In the summer, it seemed like parents were using the pool (with no life guard, mind you) as a babysitter. I always get nervous that I'm going to be responsible for someone else's child as the only adult in a pool area if an accident went down, but thankfully nothing has happened. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13367 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27008 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis