BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-03-20 3:54 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED
Originally posted by johnthecat

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by glfprncsThis weekend I learned how amAzing the lacrosse ball is for hamstrings & hamstring/ITB adhesions. That is all. You may all carry on with your day.
They hurt so good!

I have one in my car, in my backpack for work and in multiple places around the house. I don't take any trips without one

I have a fancy foam roller at home but I don't use it nearly enough because I'm a wimp and man does it hurt! I should try a lax ball. I'e been wanting to get something for my office as I often workout in the mornings and am stiff all day.

2018-03-21 11:27 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Originally posted by glfprncsThis weekend I learned how amAzing the lacrosse ball is for hamstrings & hamstring/ITB adhesions. That is all. You may all carry on with your day.
They hurt so good!
I have one in my car, in my backpack for work and in multiple places around the house. I don't take any trips without one
I have a fancy foam roller at home but I don't use it nearly enough because I'm a wimp and man does it hurt! I should try a lax ball. I'e been wanting to get something for my office as I often workout in the mornings and am stiff all day.

I should do this. A ball is so much more portable.

2018-03-21 2:15 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Seeing the discussion on foam rollers, lacrosse balls, etc. reminded me again of how important the recovery aspect of this is. I have inconsistently worked with massage. Is anyone using a MT regularly and if so, what is "regularly" to you? I am struggling to get back to regular running, simply due to leg soreness seemingly any time I run more than 1 day in a row. I think that the adjustment from "untrained" to "in training" is the main issue, but any input would be appreciated.

2018-03-21 4:06 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by cdban66

Seeing the discussion on foam rollers, lacrosse balls, etc. reminded me again of how important the recovery aspect of this is. I have inconsistently worked with massage. Is anyone using a MT regularly and if so, what is "regularly" to you? I am struggling to get back to regular running, simply due to leg soreness seemingly any time I run more than 1 day in a row. I think that the adjustment from "untrained" to "in training" is the main issue, but any input would be appreciated.

I have been using a Bowen/Emit therapist inconsistently for years - mainly as I needed to for my back.

Leading up to Disney I saw her about once a month and it helped heaps. She has also shown me how to alleviate some of my tight spots myself, which was great while at Disney seeing as I couldn't take her with me. I will restart the monthly visits after Easter. I have found this plus my 66fit stick has worked well.

http://www.66fit.com.au/massage-trigger-point-products/massage-stic...
2018-03-21 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
I am irregular and cheap when it comes to MT. AKA I will do the 30 minutes for 30 dollars mall massage. It always feels great. I also like compression when I really abuse myself. Just a suggestion, perhaps try running every other day until you build up your running strength and stamina. Running does more damage than the other two sports and you need to give your body time to recover.
2018-03-21 7:24 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by TXTriRook
They hurt so good!

I should do this. A ball is so much more portable.

I really like a roller. My problem is every time I buy one, it disappears. They then reappear in various college dorm rooms and apartments across the country. My youngest daughter really loves them She will roll her muscles both before and after her workout.

2018-03-21 7:45 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

i started regular massage in the fall of 2016 when my Dr ordered me there to address a hamstring issue I was trying to conquer before a HIM. At went weekly then. Now I go every 4 weeks, except when deep into IM training when I go every 3 weeks.  I love it.

2018-03-22 8:12 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by JBacarella

I am irregular and cheap when it comes to MT. AKA I will do the 30 minutes for 30 dollars mall massage. It always feels great. I also like compression when I really abuse myself. Just a suggestion, perhaps try running every other day until you build up your running strength and stamina. Running does more damage than the other two sports and you need to give your body time to recover.
My knees, ankles, feet...legs, I guess, don't do well with consecutive run days so I alternate run & bike days. Sometimes I mix in stairmill instead of a run to reduce the pounding. Been told it builds strength that translates pretty well to running. Of course, DW says losing weight would probably help me more than anything.... Bah!
2018-03-22 10:17 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

i started regular massage in the fall of 2016 when my Dr ordered me there to address a hamstring issue I was trying to conquer before a HIM. At went weekly then. Now I go every 4 weeks, except when deep into IM training when I go every 3 weeks.  I love it.

I used to get weekly massages also as my schedule permitted and it was great.  Now it's whenever I can

2018-03-23 1:44 AM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Once upon a time, I had an awesome older Vietnamese lady recommended by a training partner, who came to my house weekly and gave amazing deep tissue massages. She literally got me back on my feet as far as serious run training was concerned after an almost 20 year hiatus as a very casual recreational runner. Sadly, she retired to be a full-time grandma when her daughter gave birth to premature twins with a lot of medical needs. She referred me to a friend of hers, but the lady's technique just didn't work for me--not strong enough and always seemed in a hurry. Since then I have never found a good replacement. There is a pretty good ART therapist on the other side of the city, but it is such a long ride there in traffic that the trip usually undoes the massage! And the massage guy I had in Eugene, who worked on many of the elite athletes in town, has taken the last two summers off to hike the PCT. Now I won't be in Eugene anyway. Sigh.....

I really, really need some decent massage. One reason I took up tri in the first place is that I could never seem to enjoy and feel good running more than a few days in a row anymore (since about age 40). With tri, one doesn't have to! Massage really helps me keep it together to an extent I haven't been able to on my own. It's not so much running for years and years (much of that was not really serious or high-volume running) but having naturally tight muscles and being on my feet a lot at work. Stretching/foam rolling, etc. don't really seem to work on my body. I've often ended up making a niggle or injury worse with it! About the only thing I swear by are these little plastic massage balls you roll with your feet. They work pretty well for tired/sore feet and staving off PF, etc.

Currently dealing with 3-4 different niggles that seem to take turns vying for attention. Really hoping I can find a decent massage on spring break, and someone in Idaho when I go back this summer.
2018-03-23 10:09 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pennsylvania

Does anyone have any tips on foam rolling calves?  Our leg muscles, not young bovines. It seems so awkward and difficult when I do it: legs extended in front of me, calves (or calf) on roller, holding most of my weight on my arms and trying to roll myself back and forth.  So incredibly awkward!

2018-03-23 11:13 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

Does anyone have any tips on foam rolling calves?  Our leg muscles, not young bovines. It seems so awkward and difficult when I do it: legs extended in front of me, calves (or calf) on roller, holding most of my weight on my arms and trying to roll myself back and forth.  So incredibly awkward!

I agree it is awkward.

2018-03-23 11:18 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Soooo I'm looking at an ultra on June 9   It is the Eagle Up Ultra in Canton, OH. It is the Midwest regional event for RWB and several of the people that I went to leader camp with a couple weeks ago will be there. (yes, that's the "but my friends are doing it" defense)   My thought is to aim for 50k... and if I feel more on that day I'll try for 50 miles

Time to get those miles up

2018-03-23 11:44 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

I agree it is awkward.

My only tip is don't do it!, but if you insist, I don't know any way other than the way you describe.  Hope this helped 

2018-03-23 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Soooo I'm looking at an ultra on June 9   It is the Eagle Up Ultra in Canton, OH. It is the Midwest regional event for RWB and several of the people that I went to leader camp with a couple weeks ago will be there. (yes, that's the "but my friends are doing it" defense)   My thought is to aim for 50k... and if I feel more on that day I'll try for 50 miles

2 months to get into ultra shape - easy peasy!!

2018-03-23 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Today's guest Racing and Injured Manatee columnist is ...me! 

Racing Manatees:  (My best FSU colors!!)

Robin P -3/24: St. Paddy's Run Green 8k.

Someone needs to tell the race organizer that St. Paddy's was last Saturday - though, in Irish time; that's probably about right (it's ok, i'm Irish). Plus, bonus points to them for spelling St. Paddy correctly!!

Injured Manatees:

Melanie - took an unscheduled ice skating trip down the front steps and now has an ouchie ankle.

Anyone else racing or injured, sick, or otherwise not well??

2018-03-23 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Someone needs to tell the race organizer that St. Paddy's was last Saturday - though, in Irish time; that's probably about right (it's ok, i'm Irish). Plus, bonus points to them for spelling St. Paddy correctly!!

Injured Manatees:

Melanie - took an unscheduled ice skating trip down the front steps and now has an ouchie ankle.

Go Robin!!!

Heal up Mel!!

2018-03-23 9:03 PM

User image

I use a 1" PVC pipe for my calves. Put one calf on the pipe and place my other calf on top of the other for extra weight. I don't really roll the calves, but instead start in the middle of my calf on the PVC pipe for about 10-15 seconds and then work my way up the calf for the next spot. Then I go down my calf the same way. Time consuming but works well for me.
2018-03-24 6:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

thats why I love my stick - no need to get on the floor. It's a matter of sitting in a chair lifting your leg so your calf muscle isn't flexed and roll the stick back and forth along your calf. Works a treat

Edited by StaceyK 2018-03-24 7:10 AM
2018-03-24 1:07 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Injured Manatees:

Go Robin!!!

Heal up Mel!!

They always do the St Paddy's race after the actual St Paddy's because 1) Always room for more celebrations and 2) the streets are always taken with other St P Days events and 3) See number one.

I opted for the virtual race rather than travel across the State and home again in sleet. I went to the local March For Our Lives event and ran the race when I got home.

Hey Mel. How's the tootsie today?

2018-03-24 5:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina

I foam roll or use "The Stick" on key places (generally the muscle alongside my shins, quadriceps, and IT bands) a few days per week and I now use the lacross balls on my hamstrings every other day.

I see a chiropractor and an exercise physiologist who practices the graston technique (uses metal torture tools to scrape fascia and get rid of my spots prone to adhesions) every 4 weeks (don't see the exercise physio unless I'm having an issue). My exercise physio also gave me 2 exercises that I do 3-4 days/week to strengthen those areas that are problematic & most of the time keep me out of his office.

I've tried going more than 4 weeks between chiro visits, and it just does not work for me. I start having all these weird lower leg issues that become problems if I ignore spinal alignment.

My coach gives me two strength sessions each week that are 30 minutes in length, and I also add a short 18 minute "yoga for runners" session on top of that.

It takes a lot to keep Humpty Dumpty together, it seems!!

Edited by glfprncs 2018-03-24 5:35 PM

2018-03-24 6:48 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Strange how everyone's body is different. I have tried chiro several times for different issues, with absolutely zero results. Nor does graston or acupuncture seem to work for me. Had had friends swear by all of those. The only thing that seems to untie my knots is deep tissue massage or ART (active release therapy--stuff with pressure points). Foam rolling has only made things worse--not just at the time but afterwards. Even stretching--I have to do DURING a run, or immediately afterwards, to have any effect. And don't get me started on yoga--I've injured myself doing it (in a class, no less, where the instructor was checking and correcting our technique), twice.
2018-03-26 8:01 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Cypress, Texas
I foam roll on occasion, not as often as I should. I do use the Lacrosse ball all the time for various sore spots, mainly hamstring and shoulder blade area.

I also see an Airrosti (Applied Integration for the Rapid Recovery of Soft Tissue Injuries) provider almost every week to deal with the various pulled muscles, over use issues etc. Generally he gets into the trouble areas and loosens up the muscles, tensions etc, for 30 minutes, then you do exercises for 30 minutes to help fix imbalances etc. and then they usually tape you up with kinetic tape. Works great for me. Anything I've had pop up over the last 5 years they've been able to fix fairly quickly. They only have locations in 5 different states right now.
2018-03-27 9:39 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

You are a beast!!  Wow!

2018-03-29 2:15 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Crickets

Anyone home?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13397 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27049 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis