BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-08-16 11:07 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by TXTriRook Everyone's back to school next week down here in TX. On an unrelated note, I'm running a very expensive 5K on Sept 9th and I just found out that the finishers medals come with a battery and phone charging port! We always have a big group running it, my mom makes team hats and the swag is awesome. Pretty sure we get wireless Bang & Olufsen headphones this year. Hope everyone's having a great week! I'm pretty sure I lost my HRM somewhere between here and Boulder. I'm not a happy camper!

Speaking of cool (or not) race medals. I am doing a race next weekend that is 10 nautical miles (about 11.5 regular miles). I signed up because it ends at the base where DS2 did his basic training for the Navy.  The race starts at an Air Force base and ends at a Naval base, hence the name Fort 2 Base. So... this years medal is the first of 3 three that will magnetically stick together to form a pretty cool looking 3D, shadow box looking thing. My problem is that this year's medal is representative of the Air Force part. It has a tower that is on that base and it's off center to allow for the Navy part next year. Well, I'm not going to be here next year!!! That's all well and good for someone who can do two or all three of the years but for just this year I will have an off center Air Force tower on my medal   I know, first world problems. I think I'd be less disappointed about the off-center part if it were the Navy part.  

I think the shirt will be pretty cool though.

Sounds pretty cool too! Not sure why they would make it 3 medals over 3 years for the box to be complete. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd think the probability/percent of people to do the race 3 years in a row would be pretty low.

2018-08-16 12:11 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Originally posted by TXTriRook Everyone's back to school next week down here in TX. On an unrelated note, I'm running a very expensive 5K on Sept 9th and I just found out that the finishers medals come with a battery and phone charging port! We always have a big group running it, my mom makes team hats and the swag is awesome. Pretty sure we get wireless Bang & Olufsen headphones this year. Hope everyone's having a great week! I'm pretty sure I lost my HRM somewhere between here and Boulder. I'm not a happy camper!

Speaking of cool (or not) race medals. I am doing a race next weekend that is 10 nautical miles (about 11.5 regular miles). I signed up because it ends at the base where DS2 did his basic training for the Navy.  The race starts at an Air Force base and ends at a Naval base, hence the name Fort 2 Base. So... this years medal is the first of 3 three that will magnetically stick together to form a pretty cool looking 3D, shadow box looking thing. My problem is that this year's medal is representative of the Air Force part. It has a tower that is on that base and it's off center to allow for the Navy part next year. Well, I'm not going to be here next year!!! That's all well and good for someone who can do two or all three of the years but for just this year I will have an off center Air Force tower on my medal   I know, first world problems. I think I'd be less disappointed about the off-center part if it were the Navy part.  

Sounds pretty cool too! Not sure why they would make it 3 medals over 3 years for the box to be complete. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd think the probability/percent of people to do the race 3 years in a row would be pretty low.

I've posted this before I think, but my first marathon was the first of a 5-year race series. You got one piece of the medal collage every year if you did the half, full or ultra marathon, and together they formed a Texas Star. Myself and lots of folks I know did it all five years just for the medals  

2018-08-16 12:16 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by lisac957

I've posted this before I think, but my first marathon was the first of a 5-year race series. You got one piece of the medal collage every year if you did the half, full or ultra marathon, and together they formed a Texas Star. Myself and lots of folks I know did it all five years just for the medals  

If this were a race closer to me I certainly would do all three. But this is a bit far to travel for a 10 (nautical) mile race.

2018-08-16 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

If this were a race closer to me I certainly would do all three. But this is a bit far to travel for a 10 (nautical) mile race.

Both races have cool medals!

Regarding the issue of people showing up multiple years to collect a set of medals- it is a big thing! One example is the Space Coast Hm and marathon. For years you could sign up day of race, then they decided to make a 3 and 5 year series with various space themed medals (the race is near cape Canaveral / Kennedy space center; people went nuts for it. The HM sold out in minutes every year. The marathon took longer as they gave the same medals for both races. People just really wanted that set of medals, so they kept coming back. Series ended and they immediately started another!  

2018-08-16 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The kids here in Wisconsin don't start until after Labor Day.

This is the 2nd week of school for most districts in Atlanta - some started the last week in July which blows my mind. 

Selfishly, the lap pool I swim at has been so much less congested since school started and I love it. In the summer, it seemed like parents were using the pool (with no life guard, mind you) as a babysitter. I always get nervous that I'm going to be responsible for someone else's child as the only adult in a pool area if an accident went down, but thankfully nothing has happened. 

Raleigh has the opposite problem -- in the summer the city empties out. Nothing is crowded. Traffic is a breeze. I don't know if everyone is at the beach or what. Then school starts and wham! Everything is slammed. I've never lived anywhere else where summers are like that.

2018-08-16 1:00 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmkizer

This is the 2nd week of school for most districts in Atlanta - some started the last week in July which blows my mind. 

Selfishly, the lap pool I swim at has been so much less congested since school started and I love it. In the summer, it seemed like parents were using the pool (with no life guard, mind you) as a babysitter. I always get nervous that I'm going to be responsible for someone else's child as the only adult in a pool area if an accident went down, but thankfully nothing has happened. 

Raleigh has the opposite problem -- in the summer the city empties out. Nothing is crowded. Traffic is a breeze. I don't know if everyone is at the beach or what. Then school starts and wham! Everything is slammed. I've never lived anywhere else where summers are like that.

We have two more weeks and then they all go back to where they belong. We are excited to have a big influx of people for Memorial Day but beyond happy to see them all leave on Labor Day. Daughter #2 has the opposite problem living in a college town. The place is dead until next week when everyone comes back for fall semester.

2018-08-16 1:12 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella

We have two more weeks and then they all go back to where they belong. We are excited to have a big influx of people for Memorial Day but beyond happy to see them all leave on Labor Day. Daughter #2 has the opposite problem living in a college town. The place is dead until next week when everyone comes back for fall semester.

Orlando is always busy. It seems people come to Disney World whether school's in session or not! I don't know why anyone would come during the summer though!!

2018-08-16 1:15 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Orlando is always busy. It seems people come to Disney World whether school's in session or not! I don't know why anyone would come during the summer though!!

Probably because the kids are out of school and they don't have a clue of how hot it's likely to be. I'm sure that it's fun getting around town with all of the clueless/lost drivers.

2018-08-16 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Probably because the kids are out of school and they don't have a clue of how hot it's likely to be. I'm sure that it's fun getting around town with all of the clueless/lost drivers.

Thankfully I don't live anywhere near the attractions, so i don't have to deal with the real craziness too often.  It's been almost 3 years since i've been to DW and that was only to pass out candy at one of the marathon support stops. Before that i couldn't tell you how long it had been! It's been even longer for Universal and I've never been to Sea World. Guess i'm a bad representative for the theme parks!! 

2018-08-16 4:55 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Speaking of, I'm headed there tomorrow. My training this weekend will be mostly walking all over Disney World. I'm recovering from a chest cold, so missing a couple of workouts is well timed in some ways.

I agree with Janyne - lots of people vacate Raleigh for the beach (2hrs), mountains (3hrs) and elsewhere in the summer. Plus 40k-50k or so students at the various local college are mostly out of town which helps thin it some.
2018-08-16 5:14 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by awm007

Speaking of, I'm headed there tomorrow. My training this weekend will be mostly walking all over Disney World. I'm recovering from a chest cold, so missing a couple of workouts is well timed in some ways. I agree with Janyne - lots of people vacate Raleigh for the beach (2hrs), mountains (3hrs) and elsewhere in the summer. Plus 40k-50k or so students at the various local college are mostly out of town which helps thin it some.

Come on down to Wrinklewood. We're empty for another few months, then it's full on tourist season for 6 months. Well, tourist season is what it's called, but you can't shoot em'. 

School started last Friday here. Who starts school on a Friday?

2018-08-16 10:24 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by awm007

Speaking of, I'm headed there tomorrow. My training this weekend will be mostly walking all over Disney World. I'm recovering from a chest cold, so missing a couple of workouts is well timed in some ways. I agree with Janyne - lots of people vacate Raleigh for the beach (2hrs), mountains (3hrs) and elsewhere in the summer. Plus 40k-50k or so students at the various local college are mostly out of town which helps thin it some.

Come on down to Wrinklewood. We're empty for another few months, then it's full on tourist season for 6 months. Well, tourist season is what it's called, but you can't shoot em'. 

School started last Friday here. Who starts school on a Friday?

Please, don't give my district the idea of starting school on a Friday. A few years ago our last day was a half day on the Tuesday after Memorial Day. It was the planned last day - not a snow make-up day or anything like that. It was stupid.

I made a deal with my DH -if I do stay an extra year before I retire I get to go to WDW. I really want to go in October so I can see the Halloween decorations because I'm really a 5-year-old.
2018-08-17 10:37 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

I feel for anyone going to Disney. After going there with my 2 young kids (and wife of course ) last New Years, it'll be a good 5+ years before I head back. It felt like 1/2 of the country goes there for NYE. My wife was breast feeding our 9 month old on a stoop cause there was nowhere to sit and it was 100 degrees. Not fun!

On another note, I found my HRM! I can't believe I didn't think to check the dirty laundry hamper. Now what to do with the Scosche Rhythm 24 I ordered....obviously keep it, right??
2018-08-17 11:40 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by TXTriRookI feel for anyone going to Disney. After going there with my 2 young kids (and wife of course ) last New Years, it'll be a good 5+ years before I head back. It felt like 1/2 of the country goes there for NYE. My wife was breast feeding our 9 month old on a stoop cause there was nowhere to sit and it was 100 degrees. Not fun!On another note, I found my HRM! I can't believe I didn't think to check the dirty laundry hamper. Now what to do with the Scosche Rhythm 24 I ordered....obviously keep it, right??
Too funny, I thought I lost my scoshe HRM, looked everywhere for it, so ordered the upgraded rhythm 24. Of course I found the old one right after getting the new. Decided to keep the 24 to try it out. I was leaning toward returning it since I decided to be fiscally responsible, but then my puppy ate the armband! Of course the 2 versions have slightly different widths at the attachment point, so the 24 is useless ! I looked for a replacement band and couldn’t find one for the 24. Lots for the old version though! Moral of the story: puppies are bad
2018-08-17 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by TXTriRookI feel for anyone going to Disney. After going there with my 2 young kids (and wife of course ) last New Years, it'll be a good 5+ years before I head back. It felt like 1/2 of the country goes there for NYE. My wife was breast feeding our 9 month old on a stoop cause there was nowhere to sit and it was 100 degrees. Not fun!On another note, I found my HRM! I can't believe I didn't think to check the dirty laundry hamper. Now what to do with the Scosche Rhythm 24 I ordered....obviously keep it, right??
Too funny, I thought I lost my scoshe HRM, looked everywhere for it, so ordered the upgraded rhythm 24. Of course I found the old one right after getting the new. Decided to keep the 24 to try it out. I was leaning toward returning it since I decided to be fiscally responsible, but then my puppy ate the armband! Of course the 2 versions have slightly different widths at the attachment point, so the 24 is useless ! I looked for a replacement band and couldn’t find one for the 24. Lots for the old version though! Moral of the story: puppies are bad

Poor Teddy The Griff, he's just misunderstood.

2018-08-17 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 18-19
TJ - Madison Mini Marathon on Saturday
Janyne - Five-O ride on Sunday

Is anyone else racing

2018-08-17 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

He is well understood, he’s bad and he’s ok with that!

2018-08-17 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

He is well understood, he’s bad and he’s ok with that!

He heard that you had a missing Scoshe and he found one. He's a retriever. He retrieved! (and then he got distracted and his teeth slipped)

2018-08-17 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

August 18-19

Is anyone else racing

Go TJ and Janyne!

i have no idea what distance either of your races are! Well, I suspect Janyne’s 50 miles, but five-0 could be some nod to the police

2018-08-17 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 18-19

Is anyone else racing

Go TJ and Janyne!

i have no idea what distance either of your races are! Well, I suspect Janyne’s 50 miles, but five-0 could be some nod to the police

Opps! TJ is half marathon. I have a 100k that I am supposed to "round to" 70 and then do a brick run. Yes, I am a wimp compared to the rides you, Lisa, and Randee are probably doing this weekend.

2018-08-17 12:58 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

August 18-19

Is anyone else racing

Go TJ and Janyne!

Opps! TJ is half marathon. I have a 100k that I am supposed to "round to" 70 and then do a brick run. Yes, I am a wimp compared to the rides you, Lisa, and Randee are probably doing this weekend.

I'll be on the Chatt course Sunday! My plan says 85-90 miles so not sure how I'll get that done but I will. Definitely one full loop then maybe a partial loop. I'm tempted to just ride the loop 2x (we're not doing the "stick" portion) but may be at the mercy of my group, we've committed to sticking together for safety (and friendship LOL) reasons.

2018-08-17 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

August 18-19

Is anyone else racing

Go TJ and Janyne!

I thought the same thing with the Five-O great minds... or just 'cause that's our world.  Yeah mine is a HM. Only in Wisconsin is 13 miles a "mini" something! They also have a Milwaukee Brewers Mini that is also a HM

2018-08-17 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 18-19

Is anyone else racing

Go TJ and Janyne!

I thought the same thing with the Five-O great minds... or just 'cause that's our world.  Yeah mine is a HM. Only in Wisconsin is 13 miles a "mini" something! They also have a Milwaukee Brewers Mini that is also a HM

Five-O as in police.

2018-08-17 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

August 18-19

Is anyone else racing

Go TJ and Janyne!

I'll be on the Chatt course Sunday! My plan says 85-90 miles so not sure how I'll get that done but I will. Definitely one full loop then maybe a partial loop. I'm tempted to just ride the loop 2x (we're not doing the "stick" portion) but may be at the mercy of my group, we've committed to sticking together for safety (and friendship LOL) reasons.

im riding 85 ish with a 59 minute run. yes, plan says 59 minutes, sounds so much better than 1 hour!

Lisa, I’m jealous that you get to preview the course!

2018-08-17 1:41 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

August 18-19

Is anyone else racing

Good luck TJ and Janyne!!

I think a good luck is in order for all the Chatt racers doing BIG mileage this weekend.  Be safe, stay hydrated. It makes my 'Big Day' tomorrow, as Coach Josh titled it, look pretty puny.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13387 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27041 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis