BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 6 (Beginner - Sprints, 5K, 10K) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2018-02-20 8:06 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 6 (Beginner - Sprints, 5K, 10K) - OPEN
My left "new knee" is giving me some problems from time to time; saw member of surgeon team yesterday; naturally the knee wasn't acting up; X-rays good; next time I have an episode of the problem plan is to have a CAT scan done to see if they can determine what the heck is going on....ugh....

2018-02-21 6:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sorry to hear about the pain and uncertainty Bill. I'm sure y'all will get it figured out.

Well I'm in a bit of a quandary and want to get the groups thoughts and opinions. I know that I need and am going to be getting a new bike but can't decide between a Tri or Road bike.
I know that Tri bikes are faster and more geared for triathlons to reduce time and increase speed, plus leave your legs fresher. A road bike can be fast, will accept aero bars to help with speed and are more comfortable especially with my back issues from time to time. I guess the way I'm looking at it now is that I'm not missing the podium by anywhere near a close enough time that the saved time on a TT would put me on the podium. I do know however that I would be throwing away free speed so to speak. My biggest fear is that I will do as I did in the past and constantly think about a Tri bike while on the road bike. I also think that I've never been truly comfortable on any Tri bike and that includes one that matched my bike fit numbers almost to a T. I also have never had a higher end road bike and wonder if that would make a difference. I guess my other thought is that while it's not hilly where I live all the Ironman races I want to do have a good amount of climbing, Chattanooga, lake placid, Ironman Canada. If I went the road bike route I would go for pre fit again to get my numbers before purchasing. I also feel like I can get more bang for the buck with a road bike because of the larger field to chose from. Almost forgot that my thought right now is a solid road bike used for years and then if I'm still in it and the TT could make a difference as far as qualifying for Kona or 70.3 championship then speed the money and get one. Any and all input is welcomed.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2018-02-21 6:42 PM
2018-02-22 6:53 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Sorry to hear about the pain and uncertainty Bill. I'm sure y'all will get it figured out.

Well I'm in a bit of a quandary and want to get the groups thoughts and opinions. I know that I need and am going to be getting a new bike but can't decide between a Tri or Road bike.
I know that Tri bikes are faster and more geared for triathlons to reduce time and increase speed, plus leave your legs fresher. A road bike can be fast, will accept aero bars to help with speed and are more comfortable especially with my back issues from time to time. I guess the way I'm looking at it now is that I'm not missing the podium by anywhere near a close enough time that the saved time on a TT would put me on the podium. I do know however that I would be throwing away free speed so to speak. My biggest fear is that I will do as I did in the past and constantly think about a Tri bike while on the road bike. I also think that I've never been truly comfortable on any Tri bike and that includes one that matched my bike fit numbers almost to a T. I also have never had a higher end road bike and wonder if that would make a difference. I guess my other thought is that while it's not hilly where I live all the Ironman races I want to do have a good amount of climbing, Chattanooga, lake placid, Ironman Canada. If I went the road bike route I would go for pre fit again to get my numbers before purchasing. I also feel like I can get more bang for the buck with a road bike because of the larger field to chose from. Almost forgot that my thought right now is a solid road bike used for years and then if I'm still in it and the TT could make a difference as far as qualifying for Kona or 70.3 championship then speed the money and get one. Any and all input is welcomed.

This is based upon the assumption that you have a road bike that is in good condition:

I boiled down your question to: Should I buy an uncomfortable TT bike that will provide me with limited gains or should I buy a new road bike.

Forget about the TT bike. And really, forget the new road bike too (but see below). Your job seems to limit you and your ability/time to train. If you have room, get a smart trainer (tacx or wahoo) and a Zwift or Trainerroad account and leave your current bike set up in the trainer. When you have time, just hit the trainer. T.I.T.S. will give you more of a boost than any new bike. Get into the routine of doing a 30-45 minute ride whenever you can squeeze it in and see where you are in a year.

(Below): Sometimes you just get the itch for a new bike - if you will use it and it will give you the motivation to train, then get it if you can afford it.
2018-02-22 9:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I guess I should have stated that I have a poor fitting TT bike at the moment, which is a part of the reason that rides are limited. I really have missed having a TT when I've had road bikes in the past. I have changed bikes a lot over the years and now that I'm training for my Ironman race want to buy the right bike for now and the future, which is why I'm leaning towards a TT making sure it fits very well. I sent a fitter who did my pre fit measurements two years ago a list of some bikes I'm looking at to see if their a good fit. I would then go to him for a full fit on the bike, which I've never done. The fitter is very respected in the fit community which was why I went to him a few years ago.

I should also add that once I go I really go, so the times and miles go up pretty quick regardless of work. I'm just a procrastinator to the max.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2018-02-22 9:23 AM
2018-02-22 10:53 AM

User image

Todd....getting an accurate fitting for the TT is your best bet; I know it's hard to finally settle in on a decision....but if you can....DO IT!

My oldest son just had a new, very precise fitting for his road bike; this fitting was much more accurate and made many changes to his current set up; he was quite pleased. I'm the one procrastinating on getting a fitting done for a road bike...this knee is my nemesis currently.....

I'm sure you'll make the most appropriate decision....
2018-02-22 7:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 2NewKnees

Todd....getting an accurate fitting for the TT is your best bet; I know it's hard to finally settle in on a decision....but if you can....DO IT!

My oldest son just had a new, very precise fitting for his road bike; this fitting was much more accurate and made many changes to his current set up; he was quite pleased. I'm the one procrastinating on getting a fitting done for a road bike...this knee is my nemesis currently.....

I'm sure you'll make the most appropriate decision....

I agree - if you already have a TT bike and it is able to be fitted to you, that sounds like your best bet. Especially if they fit you on one of those machines/fitting bikes first - then if the fitter cannot make your TT bike work, you will know the dimensions to be looking for in a new TT bike.

2018-02-28 10:44 AM

Extreme Veteran

My left "new knee" is giving me some problems from time to time; saw member of surgeon team yesterday; naturally the knee wasn't acting up; X-rays good; next time I have an episode of the problem plan is to have a CAT scan done to see if they can determine what the heck is going on....ugh....

How has the hardware been holding up? You might want to double check you bike cleats and running shoes to make sure nothing has worn out.
2018-02-28 10:15 PM
in reply to: bwingate

User image

Originally posted by bwingate

How has the hardware been holding up? You might want to double check you bike cleats and running shoes to make sure nothing has worn out.

Excellent advice! I keep track of the mileage on my shoes and make sure to change them out around 400 miles; a little over 200 on my current pair I use outside; my treadmill pair have maybe 50 miles at most; I've not "graduated" to clip in bike shoes ....range of motion on my left leg is not as good as I'd like so it affects where I have to place my foot on the pedal; I need to get a fitting on a bike to account for that. I do appreciate your advice!!
2018-03-05 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I had a good weekend. Friday 10 mile bike, Saturday 4 mile run, and Sunday 18 mile bike.

So the bike thing is now this and I'll add in what I didn't before. So I bought a QR last year and did have a professional fit done. The fitter said it was right at the edge of fitting and being to small. Well as I told y'all I just always felt cramped and did not enjoy the ride. I was going to sell and then decide which way to go but first figured I would Tri something. When I got the bike it had an Adamo TT seat on it, which I took off and replaced with my usual Fizik Arione but got it in the vix model this time. I've have always rode Fizik since day one although most find them uncomfortable. So anyway as I looked at the seat I began to think about the Adamo being shorter and a little taller. I thought a swap may give me that slight reach difference I needed especially if I was able to sit a little back. I put it on, lowered the post slightly to adjust for seat height and put the seat back a little more than the last. Well after 28 miles I think that swap may have done the trick. No shoulder pain, I don't feel cramped, and the only negative so far is the wider nose, which my thighs have to get use to. I'm crossing my fingers that this works out and will get to really test it next week when we go camping for a week.
2018-03-05 2:09 PM

User image

I had a good weekend. Friday 10 mile bike, Saturday 4 mile run, and Sunday 18 mile bike.

So the bike thing is now this and I'll add in what I didn't before. So I bought a QR last year and did have a professional fit done. The fitter said it was right at the edge of fitting and being to small. Well as I told y'all I just always felt cramped and did not enjoy the ride. I was going to sell and then decide which way to go but first figured I would Tri something. When I got the bike it had an Adamo TT seat on it, which I took off and replaced with my usual Fizik Arione but got it in the vix model this time. I've have always rode Fizik since day one although most find them uncomfortable. So anyway as I looked at the seat I began to think about the Adamo being shorter and a little taller. I thought a swap may give me that slight reach difference I needed especially if I was able to sit a little back. I put it on, lowered the post slightly to adjust for seat height and put the seat back a little more than the last. Well after 28 miles I think that swap may have done the trick. No shoulder pain, I don't feel cramped, and the only negative so far is the wider nose, which my thighs have to get use to. I'm crossing my fingers that this works out and will get to really test it next week when we go camping for a week.

Great weekend of activities!!....congrats! Also, super news on the bike matter......!!
2018-03-05 4:20 PM

Extreme Veteran

Great weekend of activities!!....congrats! Also, super news on the bike matter......!!

Cr@p - no he doesn't get to buy a bike. We've got to figure out a way around this!

2018-03-06 1:45 PM

User image

Lol
2018-03-12 1:48 PM

User image

Well, X-rays and ct scan came back all good; both confirmed hardware is solid-no loosening; absolutely no sign of any infection! Which is great! My issues are most likely due to adhesions/scar tissue; evidently it can fray a bit, move around the joint then result in the pain. So, surgeon discussed scoping the knee and cleaning out the knee compartment; no guarantee the adhesions won't return. After discussing some follow up questions with the medical staff, I've elected to not do the scope at this point. Since the episodes are so inconsistent, would rather wait until (and if) they become more frequent; all has been good since the visits until today and the knee is tender even after taking the day "off" yesterday from any training activities. So will just see how it all goes. Probably TMI!!

Now, I'm still a bit hesitant on signing up for the April event I typically do...I still have some time to make that call.

2018-03-13 6:38 AM

Extreme Veteran
Great news Bill. Talk to your doctor or physical therapist to see if the is a non-surgical way to loosen up or repair the scar tissue. I'm generally of the opinion that surgery should be postponed until absolutely necessary.
2018-03-13 8:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great news Bill. I would sign up and work towards it. If worse comes to worse you end up donating the entry fee to a race you like and have always done. Maybe you could even go and help out some first timers if unable to participate.
2018-03-15 10:14 PM

User image

Will certainly give it some more thought!

2018-03-17 9:41 AM

User image

Taking the day off today....time to enjoy some st pats day food & drink!

Have a lucky day,,,,
2018-03-19 10:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bill, I hope you enjoyed your green beer day!

So, I did not tell y’all but I used the money I saved by not buying a new bike on a Wahoo Kicker Snap. I used it through Zwift and did two rides totaling 13 miles yesterday and a 13 mile TT race on it today. What can I say after two days about this smart trainer, it is freaking awesome. I don’t know that I have ever done a 13 mile ride and pushed as hard as the trainer made me push today. I never knew just how little work I was actually doing on my old plain Jane trainer, until I got this. Time will tell but with Zwift, the ability to train inside, and how it works, this may be the best thing I ever purchase for my fitness / triathlon .
2018-03-19 10:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Double post.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2018-03-19 11:00 PM
2018-03-20 2:01 AM

User image

Hi Turtles

I thought I better check in as it's been a while.

I've been away on holiday enjoying the last days of summer. It was very timely as my body was starting to complain about the training. During the break I had the opportunity to contemplate my efforts towards completing my next triathlon.

The last month has been difficult for me as I continue to struggle with the physical limitations of a 60 year old body but the ambitions of a younger man. I have very few regrets in life but not discovering triathlon until my late 50's is one of them. Now aged 60 I believe that I can complete a season (Nov 18 - Apr 19) if I train conservatively in order to make sure my body is strong and injury free. The races I enter will be "Enticer" type races where the swim is 150- 400 metres, bike 7- 15 KMs and the run 1.5 - 5 KMs. I've also met with a Trainer to modify my gym program accordingly.

Apologies if this post has been a bit self indulgent but I find it helpful to write down and share my thoughts.

Hope all is well with you and that your training is starting to intensify with the warmer weather and the opportunity to train outdoors.

2018-03-20 5:33 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rod it’s good to hear for you again and your post was not self indulgent. You sound like you have a good plan in place going forward. Don’t worry that much about your limiters so to speak. Look at Bill who loves the sport but has to walk the run portion, even though it kills him, because to run would kill his knees and take him out of doing this sport that he enjoys. I am able in every way, but time and given talent, but understand that I’m a middle to back kind of guy. I compete against myself and no one else and remind my self that I did all this to quit smoking, which I have not done in the over 8 years I’ve doing this sport!

2018-03-20 6:03 PM

User image

You will meet those goals!!!
2018-03-21 6:24 AM

Extreme Veteran
Welcome Back Rod!

Don't worry about being self indulging - this whole sport is basically selfish in the end.

The Enticers (usually called Try-a-tri in the States) are great races - much like a 5k you can just do one if your fitness level is decent, but also like a 5k, the athletes at the sharper end are incredibly fast and incredibly well trained.

Do what you like and enjoy it
2018-03-21 6:28 AM

Extreme Veteran

Bill, I hope you enjoyed your green beer day!

So, I did not tell y’all but I used the money I saved by not buying a new bike on a Wahoo Kicker Snap. I used it through Zwift and did two rides totaling 13 miles yesterday and a 13 mile TT race on it today. What can I say after two days about this smart trainer, it is freaking awesome. I don’t know that I have ever done a 13 mile ride and pushed as hard as the trainer made me push today. I never knew just how little work I was actually doing on my old plain Jane trainer, until I got this. Time will tell but with Zwift, the ability to train inside, and how it works, this may be the best thing I ever purchase for my fitness / triathlon .

Todd - smart trainers are the greatest thing since sliced bread. A power meter is arguably better, but where I live, I cannot ride for more than 10 minutes without stopping at a light or worrying about cross traffic, so the structured training (I use Trainer Road) is a great way to get a solid hour in. There is also the minimum prep work needed to get ready and go - just hope turn on the PC and hop on the bike.
2018-03-24 10:46 AM

User image

Winter Storm "Uma" has given us 3+ inches of heavy wet snow so far this am; nasty winds.....dog are loving the snow-outback running; so no outside training today-did a session the trainer. Will see how knee responds.

Edited by 2NewKnees 2018-03-24 10:49 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 6 (Beginner - Sprints, 5K, 10K) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 10

RELATED POSTS

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 9225 Posts: 78

2018-08-28 12:53 PM riles32807

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 925 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa