BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 6 (Beginner - Sprints, 5K, 10K) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2018-04-29 2:47 PM
in reply to: remilam

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 6 (Beginner - Sprints, 5K, 10K) - OPEN
Originally posted by remilam

Happy Sunday!!

One triathlon in the books! I finished the race in 1h39m. This is huge because I told my family/friends it would last a little over 2 hrs. Why?? Some reason I had the idea that it would take me at least an hour for both the bike & run. I figured nerves would play a part in slowing me down, surprisingly my bike was a PR!!!

It ended up being 45 degrees at the start, mostly cloudy and 15mph winds. FUN. Got a little warmer as the race went on and the clouds opened up for a few minutes at a time.

Few things I learned:
1. I'm a much better swimmer than I thought. I put myself in the back of the pack and ended up passing and getting held up by a lot of people ahead of me. Still had a good time at 6.32
2. I need to work on my biking skills. Almost crashed into a sidewalk trying to get my water bottle back into the bottle holder. :/ not very coordinated.
3. No matter how tired I am in the run portion, I somehow can manage to sprint to the finish (partly because I couldn't feel my legs)
4. This is the MOST fun I have had in sports in a very long time. Everyone was so nice, athletes & spectators. My family is big into the Louisville IM, so they knew that cowbells and signs were a necessity to cheer me on. Let me tell you, I smiled and laughed every time I saw them.

I already signed up for another one in August and it's open water. I think I'll try to get into one before then as well.
Sorry for the long post, I'm kind of high on life right now! Time to spend the day recovering!

WAY TO GO!!!!! This is so exciting to read. How are you celebrating?

2018-04-29 3:11 PM
in reply to: BlueMantis

User image

After the race I celebrated with my favorite food, some Chinese take out and sushi! Today I have been enjoying the amazing weather and haven't moved from my hammock for the past 4 hours.

Going to go on a 3 mile recovery walk with my pups. When I woke up I wasn't too sore..... well I feel it now. I've been icing my thighs and shoulders throughout the day.

Strange question but has anyone experienced swelling in your hands after a race? When I finished I looked like I had Mickey Mouse hands. They were back to normal within 30 mins, it was just very strange.
2018-04-29 7:57 PM
in reply to: #5232461

User image

Congrats on your outstanding race!! You’ve learned a lot and will leverage that knowledge and experience in your next event!!
2018-04-29 8:38 PM

After the race I celebrated with my favorite food, some Chinese take out and sushi! Today I have been enjoying the amazing weather and haven't moved from my hammock for the past 4 hours.

Going to go on a 3 mile recovery walk with my pups. When I woke up I wasn't too sore..... well I feel it now. I've been icing my thighs and shoulders throughout the day.

Strange question but has anyone experienced swelling in your hands after a race? When I finished I looked like I had Mickey Mouse hands. They were back to normal within 30 mins, it was just very strange.

I get mickey mouse hands any time I undertake a really long effort (typically a long hike.) A two-hour hike this weekend produced only beginner mickey hands, but on a 6-hour hike they started to look really alarming. I've read up on it, and it's not unheard of. One theory is to do with your circulation system focusing on your key muscle groups and ignoring your fingers, which aren't calling for any attention just swinging at your sides. So, I'm going to try wiggling my fingers more often to see if that helps. Once you get it, it takes a while for it to dissipate, and no amount of finger wiggling seems to help.

I wish I could participate in the Chinese takeout and sushi. That sounds amazing!
2018-04-30 3:35 PM

Happy Sunday!!

One triathlon in the books! I finished the race in 1h39m. This is huge because I told my family/friends it would last a little over 2 hrs. Why?? Some reason I had the idea that it would take me at least an hour for both the bike & run. I figured nerves would play a part in slowing me down, surprisingly my bike was a PR!!!

It ended up being 45 degrees at the start, mostly cloudy and 15mph winds. FUN. Got a little warmer as the race went on and the clouds opened up for a few minutes at a time.

Few things I learned:
1. I'm a much better swimmer than I thought. I put myself in the back of the pack and ended up passing and getting held up by a lot of people ahead of me. Still had a good time at 6.32
2. I need to work on my biking skills. Almost crashed into a sidewalk trying to get my water bottle back into the bottle holder. :/ not very coordinated.
3. No matter how tired I am in the run portion, I somehow can manage to sprint to the finish (partly because I couldn't feel my legs)
4. This is the MOST fun I have had in sports in a very long time. Everyone was so nice, athletes & spectators. My family is big into the Louisville IM, so they knew that cowbells and signs were a necessity to cheer me on. Let me tell you, I smiled and laughed every time I saw them.

I already signed up for another one in August and it's open water. I think I'll try to get into one before then as well.
Sorry for the long post, I'm kind of high on life right now! Time to spend the day recovering!

Congrats on your first race!! IT is such an amazing feeling! I have my first race this year coming up on May 12th..will be here before we know it!
2018-05-03 1:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Rod, I’ve seen it, never done it, but am really really looking forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions of it.

My first Deep Water Running session was a really good workout. Not what I thought it was going to be but still very enjoyable.

After strapping a flotation belt on we started to run in the water (7 ft deep). I immediately noticed I was able to raise my knees a lot higher as there was no impact to worry about. We mixed up jogging and sprints. Later in the session we started to do exercises to work on the core and then strength exercises.

This session is good for me because I get an aerobic workout, stretching and strength conditioning in a 45 minute session. After the session I had some sore muscles (but in a good way). This type of exercise is good to compliment regular tri training, not replace it as you still need to get miles on the road under your belt. Because I'm retired and I have the time I will include this in my training schedule. I was speaking to the Trainer after the session and she said that a lot of sports people with injuries or making a come back attend these sessions.

PS. I did have a chuckle to myself with the flotation device on my back. I was thinking I'm taking this Turtle concept too far as I was bobbing around the pool with a "shell" on my back.

Edited by AussieTurtle 2018-05-03 1:31 AM

2018-05-03 1:21 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Congratulations Remilam on your first Tri. Great effort and race report.

When is your next event?
2018-05-03 12:36 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

My next race is July 14th and then I have another August 19th. The one in August is what I'm most focused on. It's called the Go Girl triathlon, only women and roughly 400+ participants. The July race is kind of a trial run, it's at the same place as Go Girl and the exact same course. I wanted to have one in between to keep me focused and the July one works perfectly as just a fun, trial race.
2018-05-09 10:18 PM

Originally posted by AussieTurtle

PS. I did have a chuckle to myself with the flotation device on my back. I was thinking I'm taking this Turtle concept too far as I was bobbing around the pool with a "shell" on my back.

LOL, Rod! Turtle power!
2018-05-17 7:10 PM
in reply to: #5232461

User image

Hey gang! How goes it for everyone?

We are traveling this week so only activities I’m doing is walking; my strength entries are just time helping around the home where I grew up; traveled here for Mother’s Day.

Hope everyone’s training or events are positive!!
2018-05-20 5:48 AM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Hi Turtles

I haven't trained for 2 weeks due to travel and illness so it's time to get back into it.

It has been quiet on the forum too so to change that I'm issuing a challenge.

Who can commit to 5 training sessions in 7 days commencing Saturday 26 May? A training session can be the usual swim, bike or run but also includes gym, stretching, transition practice or anything else that's going to make you a better triathlete.

We start on Saturday 26 May so everybody gets a chance to read the post and commit.

Who's In?

2018-05-20 8:31 AM
in reply to: #5243404

User image

Count me in on the challenge!!
2018-05-21 6:38 AM

Extreme Veteran

Great job on the race! Sounds like you had a lot of fun (except for the water bottle incident)
2018-05-21 6:43 AM

Extreme Veteran
I've been out of commission for almost a month - no injuries - moving house - and after the movers finally got the treadmill set up, it didn't work. So they have picked it up to take it to a shop to get fixed. Who knows how that will work.

So I dusted off the turbo trainer and have been working my way through a Trainer Road base plan. Now that things are settling down, I have to pick a local fall half marathon.
2018-05-28 4:03 PM

Originally posted by 2NewKnees

Me, too!

I'm so glad I logged in to see this. I, too, have been barely in maintenance mode because of my work schedule ramping up. I was also feeling unmotivated to eat well. I am recommitting!

I hiked Yesterday for over an hour, 18,000+ steps including an incline. I'm going to count that.
2018-05-30 10:15 PM

User image

Subject: Turtle Challenge #1
Hi Turtles

How is the Challenge going?

I've completed 4 sessions; 2 runs and 2 gym sessions.

Share your progress

2018-06-01 2:00 PM
in reply to: #5243480

User image

Well, I’ve managed to get in 5 Walks(can’t run); 2 Swims; 3 Strength Sessions; and actually a Bike (Trainer) Ride....for the first time in forever!! Good week so far; swim was out for today due to pool schedules....

Hang in there everyone!

2018-06-01 6:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Turtle Challenge #1
I’ve been away for a while but I’m in for the challenge and ironically completed it this week. 2 runs for just over 5 miles and 3 rides for a total of roughly 40 mile (17 on trainer with Zwift). I have been trying to get it down and have also been working to
Limit my time on websites and watching TV. Glad to see all are still going strong. I will check in at least once a week from here out.
2018-06-01 9:59 PM

User image

Originally posted by BlueMantis

Me, too!

I'm so glad I logged in to see this. I, too, have been barely in maintenance mode because of my work schedule ramping up. I was also feeling unmotivated to eat well. I am recommitting!

I hiked Yesterday for over an hour, 18,000+ steps including an incline. I'm going to count that.

That's a decent hike! I'm sure it will help your fitness & conditioning
2018-06-01 10:00 PM

User image

Well, I’ve managed to get in 5 Walks(can’t run); 2 Swims; 3 Strength Sessions; and actually a Bike (Trainer) Ride....for the first time in forever!! Good week so far; swim was out for today due to pool schedules....

Hang in there everyone!

That's a great week's training. Well done!
2018-06-01 10:03 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

I’ve been away for a while but I’m in for the challenge and ironically completed it this week. 2 runs for just over 5 miles and 3 rides for a total of roughly 40 mile (17 on trainer with Zwift). I have been trying to get it down and have also been working to
Limit my time on websites and watching TV. Glad to see all are still going strong. I will check in at least once a week from here out.

Good results Todd. Do you have a race coming up soon?

I know what you mean about spending time on the computer. I set myself a limit of an hour a day for browsing.

2018-06-01 10:13 PM

User image

Got a bike ride in on Friday for my 5 sessions this week. ( 2 runs, 2 gym sessions and 1 bike ride)

I had a biopsy during the week (all clear) so I couldn't do any swimming.

I've decided to follow the Conservative 20 week Mini Triathlon Plan. If I follow it I will be where I want to be , ready for my first race at the end of October. I chose this plan because I think I can complete it injury free and I can fit it in to my schedule.
2018-06-05 10:11 AM

User image

Got a bike ride in on Friday for my 5 sessions this week. ( 2 runs, 2 gym sessions and 1 bike ride)

I had a biopsy during the week (all clear) so I couldn't do any swimming

Congrats on the great week and for the clear biopsy!!!!
2018-06-05 10:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

These 2 help us stay "active" in our "training"

The 2 Vizslas were 1 year old on 5/18......

Edited by 2NewKnees 2018-06-05 10:16 AM

Attachments
----------------
image.jpeg (2675KB - 29 downloads)
2018-06-05 6:59 PM

User image

I had a biopsy during the week (all clear) so I couldn't do any swimming

Congrats on the great week and for the clear biopsy!!!!

Thanks Bill. Loved the photo too.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 6 (Beginner - Sprints, 5K, 10K) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 10

RELATED POSTS

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 9236 Posts: 78

2018-08-28 12:53 PM riles32807

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 926 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa