BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 6 (Beginner - Sprints, 5K, 10K) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2018-06-11 9:05 AM
in reply to: #5232461

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 6 (Beginner - Sprints, 5K, 10K) - OPEN
Well, what a difference a few days make; after a very good swim last Friday-had a lousy one this am! Neither the energy nor motivation; at least I got wet!

2018-06-14 6:19 AM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

Extreme Veteran
Some days are like that - sometimes I start out for a run and for the first block or two feel a bit "blah" like I could just stop, turn around and walk home. 99 times out of 100 it is just a passing feeling that goes away.

Been off the treadmill and off the forums for a while - moving house was quite an endeavour but the big stuff is behind us. Should be back running on Saturday - time to start training for the next (first) race of the year!
2018-06-17 2:28 AM
in reply to: bwingate

User image

Hi All

Hope all is well. The weather has turned cold and wet and my enthusiasm has reduced accordingly.

I've just completed week 3 of the Mini Sprint Triathlon Plan - 20 week Conservative approach. So far it has been walking, gentle cycling and time in the pool with "easy" stroke. Things ramp up this week with Run/Walk approach and getting freestyle laps in the pool. Looking forward to it.

As usual there are a lot of distractions but I'm determined to give training a high priority.

I hope you enjoyed Turtle Challenge #1 last month. Looking for a volunteer to come up with a challenge for this month. Any takers?
2018-06-23 3:25 PM

User image

Hi everyone, it's been awhile!

I've just been enjoying no school and some light working out. Some big news (to me at least). Finally upgraded to a road bike! Yes, i've been competing and training on a hybrid bike. It put in tremendous work but it was time to upgrade.

I ended up getting an amazing deal, 2013 Giant Avail for $300. $125 off her asking price. Apparently she got it to ride with her ex husband and ended up putting less than 100 miles on it. For the past two years it's been sitting in her garage. It's in perfect condition. The next day I couldn't help myself and took it for an easy 10 miles. I took it in that day to get a tune up and will probably put on some new tires.

This is my first ever road bike and aside for those 10 have never ridden one. Any tips to better train with it and to get use to it? I'll get it back next Wednesday and will start putting miles on it. It's just so different than what I'm use to, as far as style, riding position, gears. I know lots of practice will help. My next race is August 19(had to elimiate the july race), hopefully one in September and a HIM next June or July.

Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!

Reid
2018-06-26 11:19 AM
in reply to: #5244470

User image

Reid...congrats on the new bike; I’m not qualified to give too much advice on biking....but if the bike shop can help you on the “fit” with seat height, handle bar positioning, etc that might prove very helpful.

We’ve been away for 10 days or so; only walks in my activity sessions; hope to get the pool again tomorrow; actually took 2 days off from any “training” while away; although my wife kept me on my feet following her around doing some shopping.....;0)!!!!

Later!!
2018-06-27 7:13 PM
in reply to: remilam

User image

Hi Reid

Congratulations on getting your new bike.

I'm sure you'll notice the difference between your hybrid and road bike. Road bikes are usually lighter and less stable which enables greater speed for similar effort and better handling on the road. Just like a sports car. Generally the tires aren't as strong as those on the hybrid so you should avoid gravel paths and stick to sealed surfaces.

While not essential you'll benefit from getting some clip in pedals and shoes as you gain power in the upward as well as the downward effort on the pedals. There are tri specific bike shoes that have one large strap rather than 3 smaller straps for regular road bike use.These are designed to save time in transition. It can be daunting at first when you clip in and clip out of the pedals and it's is usually a matter of when, not if you have a fall but don't let that put you off.

Also look at getting a bike computer. You'll only need a basic one to start with that will tell you speed, distance traveled, average speed and stop watch function. They are a great training aid and easy to fit.

Once you are used to your bike start riding on the drops of the handlebars as much as possible. This reduces wind resistance and will improve your times. You can decide later if you want to fit clip on tri bars.

If you don't have them already get some proper bike shorts with padding in all the right places. You can get tri versions of these that you can wear under your wet suit. They have less padding so they don't get heavy when wet. Keep your eye out for sales as it's a good idea to have a race pair (tri version) and a training pair (cycling version). To answer a frequently asked "newbie" question - No you don't wear anything under your bike shorts.

Happy Cycling!!!!!!!!!!!!

2018-06-29 10:10 PM
in reply to: #5245130

User image

Rod...still thinking about a “challenge”.....to
Come up with...
2018-06-30 10:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

So I've had my bike for over a week now and it feels great!

When I first got it, I switched the pedals to my normal flat ones that have a toe clip. It came with clipless pedals and it was a little daunting to start out with those. However, this week I thought I'd give the clip less pedals a go.......I have never been so beat up. What is the trick with these things?!?!? I started just straddling the bike and clipping in and out. That was fine. Up until I started moving around.. I don't think I fell this much when I first started learning to ride a bike..

The next day I found some really fluffy grass and tried again.... Some reason my brain and feet aren't connecting about unclipping. I think the pedals might be the issue too..

My question is.... is there any huge difference between the clip less pedals and my flat pedals with toe clips? As much as I hate feeling defeated (beaten by freaking clip less pedals) I just don't think these pedals are going to work for me. I'm afraid I'll spend more time with road rash, than actually biking..... If I even get to the road..

Edited by remilam 2018-06-30 10:32 AM
2018-07-02 2:55 PM
in reply to: remilam

User image

Extreme Veteran
Reid,

The difference in clipless and the caged toe pedal is in the efficiency. You get more out of your stroke with the clipless pedal. I can also tell you from my experience that it has helped to keep my foot in a good position instead of moving all around and tilting one way or the other with my foot, which would lead to pain. You have been doing a good thing by just practicing clipping in and out. If you have a trainer that is by far the best way to learn. Your bike will not move or fall over. You can practice clipping in one foot, then the other, pedal for a while and then practice unclipping one foot, before the second. Some times people have a problem because the release on their pedal is set way to tight, which makes clipping in and out harder. You also do not want it to loose because your foot can become unclipped without trying. I always start with the left pedal all the way up and clip in. I then push down hard and start moving forward (knowing that your in an appropriate gear when you start is very important) I then clip in the right foot and off to the races I go. Let me say though that some times I don't feel I can clip the second on in with the first stroke. In that case I just make another pedal stroke or two with the left foot. (Remember you are clipped in so you can pedal with one foot, you can also just set the other foot on the pedal unclipped if it helps). When you know there is a chance that you will be stopping or you go to stop, unclip one pedal and just make sure as you come to a stop that you lean towards your unclipped side where you can put your foot down. I would suggest if possible, to unclip both shoes before stopping to make it more comfortable / easier for you at the start. You can do it, just find you a flat spot, good rolling area, and practice clipping in one, then the other, pedaling for a few, then unclipping and coming to a stop. Trust me when it clicks you will be good to go and the benefit is well worth it. The only way I would say to certainly put off the pedals is if you have no or limit confidence in your bike handling skills in general. In that case get your self really comfortable then go back at it. Clipless pedals really are like learning to ride a bike, once it clicks it clicks. No Pun
2018-07-03 5:57 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alright I’ve got the challenge for the month!

MOTIVATE / INSPIRE CHALLENGE

At least once a week you will send everyone in the Challenge at least one Inspire per week through their training log. You can comment on the workout, leave motivational words, or simply tell them to get off their butts if there is no activity. While you are on BT doing the challenge provide a post in the group of what’s going on, what you’ve done, or what you have coming up.

WILL YOU ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE?
2018-07-04 2:39 PM

User image

Absolutely!!!!

2018-07-04 2:55 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

How's the weather treating you down there? Training in cold weather is a challenge!! Best of luck!
2018-07-04 5:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
It’s Texas so 3 choices this time of year: Hot, Humid, or Hot and Humid.
2018-07-07 2:45 AM

User image

Challenge accepted.

Looks like I'll have to update my training log
2018-07-07 9:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
2 Laos of 20 miles each. Goal was to ride under 150 HR, which I did and was surprised by my average speed. I think this is the area I am going to have to be for Chattanooga if I want to be close to good for the run. I have a lot of work to do between now and then and am behind, but today went much better than I expected! On a side not I almost got hit by a car today that did not yield to me from a stop sign and when I picked up my hand to kind of ask what the heck are you doing she did the same thing back to me. Gotta love it!
2018-07-07 9:04 PM

User image

Originally posted by 2NewKnees

How's the weather treating you down there? Training in cold weather is a challenge!! Best of luck!

Lots of Wind and rain down here. I'm tempted to say it's cold but there are some here that put up with snow so I'll say it's cold by our standards. Fortunately I can train indoors at the gym, it's not the same but it is important to keep moving.

2018-07-10 6:50 AM

Extreme Veteran
Been off the board for a while - took a 10 day vacation out to the Yellowstone area. Lots of hiking but no running or biking.

After almost 3 months I'm back to running - long story but with a house move that broke my treadmill and a decision to focus on my biking for a while. The move also messed up my first two planned half marathons. Basically everything has been a little topsy-turvy for a while.

Next half marathon on the horizon is Atlantic City in October which should give me plenty of time. I'm going to try to follow the BarryP plan - basically 6 runs a week: 3 at 1x, 2 at 2x and 1 at 3x. X can be either a time or distance. Right now my goal is to set X at 20 minutes and try to keep my heartrate under 155 for the duration of the runs. I'll up my pace based on heart rate. Let's see how this works.

And they just turned on Summer in NY - went from 70's to 90's almost overnight. And the humidity came back too.
2018-07-15 2:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Work and not feeling well got most of this week from me. I have a lot planned while on vacation camping this week, so maybe it will be a good thing to go in strong and really get the push to race day going.
2018-07-16 1:11 AM

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Alright I’ve got the challenge for the month!

MOTIVATE / INSPIRE CHALLENGE

At least once a week you will send everyone in the Challenge at least one Inspire per week through their training log. You can comment on the workout, leave motivational words, or simply tell them to get off their butts if there is no activity. While you are on BT doing the challenge provide a post in the group of what’s going on, what you’ve done, or what you have coming up.

WILL YOU ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE?

Hi Turtles,

I'm time poor this week but want to reach out to everybody quickly. Rather than send individual "Inspires" I'll let you think about this message I came across awhile ago:

"Will it be easy? = Nope, Will it be worth it? = Absolutely"

Hope to catch up individually some time next week.

2018-07-21 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Learned a valuable lesson about being on vacation and not knowing the area.

Dicey ride on roads I didn’t know. Layed it over in rocks turning around to go back (unsafe with no shoulder and Austin morning traffic) and almost got bit and knocked off by 2 dogs with bad intentions. I did find out that I can put out over 700 watts of power, because that’s what it showed while I was fleeing up a hill.

Hope everyone is doing great.
2018-07-22 4:55 AM

User image

Hi Turtles

I had a planned week of rest and recovery. I took the opportunity to reset my goals, work out a suitable diet and review my training plan.

Only 125 days to me first race for the season.

2018-07-23 9:42 AM

Extreme Veteran
I have been chased by dogs twice on the bike. Both times was towards the end of a long ride about 2/3 up a hill and I was totally exhausted at the time too. Figures.

Been trying to build up run volume - not miles but days. The training "plan" I am using has me running 6 days a week, and I'm just not used to that. Although the volume/stress of that running is pretty low because you are supposed to keep your heart rate almost ridiculously low. I've started the third week I what I decided will be an 8 week cycle before I adjust my time or speed, and my heart rate is keeping much lower than I usually would and I'm feeling much better during the week.

2018-07-27 5:50 PM

User image

Originally posted by bwingate[/

Been trying to build up run volume - not miles but days. The training "plan" I am using has me running 6 days a week, and I'm just not used to that. Although the volume/stress of that running is pretty low because you are supposed to keep your heart rate almost ridiculously low. I've started the third week I what I decided will be an 8 week cycle before I adjust my time or speed, and my heart rate is keeping much lower than I usually would and I'm feeling much better during the week.

This month's edition of "Runner's World" has an article on HR training; interesting!
2018-07-27 5:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Learned a valuable lesson about being on vacation and not knowing the area.

Dicey ride on roads I didn’t know. Layed it over in rocks turning around to go back (unsafe with no shoulder and Austin morning traffic) and almost got bit and knocked off by 2 dogs with bad intentions. I did find out that I can put out over 700 watts of power, because that’s what it showed while I was fleeing up a hill.

Hope everyone is doing great.

Lived in Austin at one time (many years ago) and traffic was a bear then as well! One trip back a few years ago when I could still run the deer in the neighborhood I ran in were afraid of nothing! North part of town....and, in order for a dog to chase me I'd have to get on the bike for a darn ride!!!!

Edited by 2NewKnees 2018-07-27 5:55 PM
2018-07-27 5:56 PM

User image

Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi Turtles

I had a planned week of rest and recovery. I took the opportunity to reset my goals, work out a suitable diet and review my training plan.

Only 125 days to me first race for the season.

Race Day will be here before you know it!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 6 (Beginner - Sprints, 5K, 10K) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 10

RELATED POSTS

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 9225 Posts: 78

2018-08-28 12:53 PM riles32807

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 925 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa