General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goal to just finish Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-12-11 9:17 AM

Subject: Goal to just finish
Is having the goal of just finishing my first half ironman a bad goal to have?

I actually have two goals as I’m sure most people do. I have my super secret this is my dream this is where I want to be goal the. I have the pubic knowledge goal that I just wanna finish in the 8.5 hours. Is it bad to have the goal set of 8.5 hours?

2017-12-11 9:47 AM
in reply to: jdutton3624

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Goal to just finish

Of course not. Why would it be?

2017-12-11 9:52 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by jdutton3624 Is having the goal of just finishing my first half ironman a bad goal to have? I actually have two goals as I’m sure most people do. I have my super secret this is my dream this is where I want to be goal the. I have the pubic knowledge goal that I just wanna finish in the 8.5 hours. Is it bad to have the goal set of 8.5 hours?

Goals are a personal thing and the "vote" of those of us not living YOUR life don't really count...

But to help you...GOALS are things YOU want to accomplish and are willing to work to accomplish.  Not sure what you do for a living, but most of us had a goal and to accomplish that goal, we chose to go to college to help us achieve that goal.  Maybe you have a goal to be a millionaire and so consistently pack your lunch and drive old cars so you can save money, invest it, and ultimately become a millionaire.  

Generally, our reluctance to admit "super secret" goals is based on the negativity associated with not hitting them...the perceived "failure."  How do you think you'd respond after you finish the race (hitting your "stated goal") but missing your "super secret goal?"  If you're like most of us, you won't be satisfied and your loved ones may be confused because you're agitated even though you hit what you told them was your goal.  

Think of it this way:  What if...the day of the race turns out perfect for you to achieve your "super secret" goal but because you chose to to avoid "failure" you didn't really train to achieve that "super secret" goal?  It's an opportunity squandered!  

There are many on this forum even who will suggest you not set time-based "goals" particularly for your first race.  I'm actually in the other camp...set the goal, admit that is your goal, and then WORK TOWARDS THAT GOAL.  Your actions will reveal your goal.  

Here's a quick exercise in that line.  Could you complete your "just finish" goal without running?  Assuming so, why are you risking injury to run instead of just walking a lot?  Ahh...you're already admitting that the time goal is marginally more important to you than "just finishing."  

Maybe your "super secret" goal is <6:00.  How do you see that unfolding?  You obviously have it playing out in your head already.  So the real question is how to play it out in real life.  As long as your race is far enough away to follow a proper training plan, you probably CAN achieve your "super secret" goal.  (Although it may no longer be "super secret.")  

Admitting you have a time goal and then working towards achieving it is a good thing!  Admitting your "super secret" goal gives you motivation to walk outside on that cold winter morning and run your 4 miles when you could just as easily stayed in bed.  It's what has you seeking out the hilly 50 mile ride when you could have done an easier ride to "just finish."  

2017-12-11 10:15 AM
in reply to: #5232484

Those are very honest words. About setting goals. I guess my fear of sharing my super secret goals is the fear of failure. To be honest for my first half ironman I’m going to be very happy just finishing in the 8.5 hours but ideally I want to be under 7.5 (my super secret goal). If I exceed the 7.5 I won’t be upset as long as I’m under the 8.5. But the 7.5 is what I’m training for. It is what I’m pushing for but am I wrong if I am not upset at missing the 7.5 if that happens as long as I finish under the 8.5. I guess that’s the real question. Keep in mind. I’m plus 300lbs. I have had 4 knee surgeries in my life and to be even completing it is a huge goal that I will celebrate.
2017-12-11 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
At 300+ lbs I think completing a 70.3 is pretty darn good in itself. The t thing about sharing goals is that someone besides yourself can help keep you accountable. But that can be a private thing between you and another individual or a small group.

Enjoy the journey, stick to it, don't let excuses get in the way. I was overweight once and I learned some things about myself. I learned that I could still get up in the morning a complete workouts on only 3-4 hours of sleep, sometimes 3-4 days in a row. I "caught up" on weekends.

I hope you crush your goal times, best of luck!

2017-12-11 12:09 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Sure, it's a very valid goal, especially for your first effort.  It sounds like you have a good plan in place to get you toward your secret goal, too, which is also good.  Best of luck in your training and racing!

2017-12-11 12:12 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

OK, so you've provided far more context about your goal.  Good!  

Part of the reason to be so specific about goals is to keep "goal creep" in check.  You can drive a stake in the ground NOW about your goals and continue to assess whether what you're doing supports or undermines your goal.  

As for "failure."  It's often healthy to put that in context.  

Assume you're 35 years old the day of the race.  Race day is but one of 12783 days in your life thus far.  Are you going to let success or failure of 0.008% of your life define you?  

Whether you finish in 7:25, 8:00, 8:35 (technically a Did Not Finish), or are unable to finish the race, you'll still have a roof over your head, the love of your family, and a story to tell.  None of that sounds like "failure" to me.  

2017-12-11 7:00 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

nope, i to will be doing my first half this year, and my goal is to just finish. if other non athletes dont think its worthy then they can train with me an see how easy it is. if athletes think its not worthy they are free to go as fast as they wanna go. im fine with just finishing, and completing something not a ton of people have done.
on a side note, i did a half marathon, full marathon, and 100 mile bike ride last year. the goal of all of them was to just finish. my times were not good on any of them, but i did them. and i am satisfied.
go run your race the way you want to, enjoy the journey, enjoy the achievement, and dont ever run that down by thinking its not good enuf.
2017-12-12 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I had 3 goals, recently (my first attempt at the distance).

1. Make the cutoff
2. A time goal based on my training/fitness level.......if everything went as planned.
3. A secret "absolute best" scenario.

I was realistic. I easily made the cutoff (which, I knew I would....based on my training and fitness level.... BARRING A MECHANICAL or medical issue. I surpassed my #2 by over an hour, but with some hiccups and mother nature's wrath (weather and a cold I developed on race week). I missed #3 by 0:26:xx because heck....everything didn't go "absolutely" perfect.

Cutoff was 16:30
#2 was 14:00:00
#3 was 12:30:00
Actual was 12:56:53

Once you get further into your training, you'll hopefully realize the cutoff is a no-brainer....and adjust, from there.

Good luck to you.
2017-12-12 11:20 AM
in reply to: 0

If I may dissent, mildly. If you plan on doing the sport for years the "just finish" goal can become a rut. It certainly has for me. I suppose there are worse ruts to fall into than finishing Ironmen near the end of the clock. But I do wish I had that burning competitive instinct to perform well rather than being just content enough to be a straggler.

To be clear this is no criticism of you finishing at any time. Just a mild warning about the long term.

Edited by d.rock90 2017-12-12 11:50 AM
2017-12-12 11:59 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Struggling with this too. Each year I start training too late, let aches and pains sidetrack me. Some of you have heard this from me before.
Background - some sprints, last place in an oly two years back.

Started building a foundation a month ago and am working toward being ready to start a five-month HIM plan Jan. 28. Registered for a nice, flat, lake swim HIM.
Want so much to at least beat about 10% of people - last year that would have been a 7:08 finish. Really focused (though haven't swum yet this year) but years of disappointment are weighing on me.

Need to figure out what a realistic goal for would be.

Running - I'm running 11:19 for 30 mins. My plan calls for 3 runs/week (don't want to blow out arthritic knees). What would be a realistic goal for mpm? 10:30? 10:00? 9:00 feels beyond possible.
Biking - I've been at 12-13mph, surrounded by 7-11% grade hills and no aero bars (looking to get clip-ons). Working hard on triainer and joined my tri groups indoor cycle class this winter.

Swimming is awful, took some TI private lessons - just purchased the mastery complete self-coaching package and I'm doing the workouts in the Fink books for Ironfit.

What is realistic?

2017-12-12 12:11 PM

Two answers.

1. No. It's not a bad goal to have. If you are enjoying every step (well, almost every step, some days just suck)....then by all means it's a fine goal. I have yet to actually interact with someone who cares what your goals are specifically. Plenty who are willing to help or encourage you to achieve them, whatever they may be.

2. Here's the other secret on time goals. You're evaluating your performance based on your level today. Check again 3 months into a plan. I'll bet you can set a new time goal.

I'm assuming you've been doing the mental math before hitting the "register" button. You know...."OK, swim will take me X, add 10 minutes to that in case I panic. 10 minute restroom break and transition. Bike should take me Y. Add 30 minutes for a tire change and pee break. Run...ok...I can normally do 13 miles in Z. So, since I'll be tired, let's add 45 minutes to that. Plus chuck in another 20 minutes for run transition and a GI break on the run. And another 30 for something unseen."

X+10+10+Y+30+Z+45+20+30 = 8.5

Here's the reality if you stick to a plan.....or even a regimen:
You won't panic, and since you're swimming like 2 and 3 times a week it'll be X-10, not plus.
Same on the bike. Y-10.
Also, the unforeseen doesn't always happen. And the potty breaks go much quicker
For me, I stick with Z+something on the run, just because I'm a terrible runner.
2017-12-12 1:19 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by MuscleMomma

Struggling with this too. Each year I start training too late, let aches and pains sidetrack me. Some of you have heard this from me before.
Background - some sprints, last place in an oly two years back.

Started building a foundation a month ago and am working toward being ready to start a five-month HIM plan Jan. 28. Registered for a nice, flat, lake swim HIM.
Want so much to at least beat about 10% of people - last year that would have been a 7:08 finish. Really focused (though haven't swum yet this year) but years of disappointment are weighing on me.

Need to figure out what a realistic goal for would be.

Running - I'm running 11:19 for 30 mins. My plan calls for 3 runs/week (don't want to blow out arthritic knees). What would be a realistic goal for mpm? 10:30? 10:00? 9:00 feels beyond possible.
Biking - I've been at 12-13mph, surrounded by 7-11% grade hills and no aero bars (looking to get clip-ons). Working hard on triainer and joined my tri groups indoor cycle class this winter.

Swimming is awful, took some TI private lessons - just purchased the mastery complete self-coaching package and I'm doing the workouts in the Fink books for Ironfit.

What is realistic?

Is there a reason you're waiting to start a plan.....until Jan 28th?
2017-12-12 1:25 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Denver, Colorado
For every race that is my first race (first half, first Oly, etc...) I set a goal to just finish, so I enjoyed the race, took my time at the water stations, took some time to take pictures, etc... Then I was surprised with a great result and thought: if I did not stop at the water stations, and not take silly pictures, I would have had such an incredible time, that's a wow for a first time!

Yet, at the same time, I enjoyed each of those first races, I did not get injured, I did not get discouraged. Plus, the worse the time was, the better chance for a nice PR for the second round

My point is, I always set goals for my races, sometimes unrealistic ones. Most of the time they keep me going during the race. But the expeirnece is what matters as well. I hope it makes sense. Good luck with your race!
2017-12-12 1:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by jdutton3624 Is having the goal of just finishing my first half ironman a bad goal to have? I actually have two goals as I’m sure most people do. I have my super secret this is my dream this is where I want to be goal the. I have the pubic knowledge goal that I just wanna finish in the 8.5 hours. Is it bad to have the goal set of 8.5 hours?

My first 70.3 my goal was to just finish.  I has a time goal of 5 hours, but that was NOT as important as finishing.  I finished just over 7 hours and was not disappointing one bit.  I was on top of the world and felt just as much accomplishments as I think I would have felt if I had won the race.  Until you have finished a race you don't know if you can do it.  After you have done it you know you can do it and the next time is a matter of how much faster you can do it than before.  For the first 70.3 just finish.  Pacing is important in the goal to finish so do look at time but don't make time your goal just a tool to gauge how you are doing.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2017-12-12 1:32 PM
2017-12-12 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by jdutton3624

Is having the goal of just finishing my first half ironman a bad goal to have?

No it's not. Not at all. Endearing to complete a half Ironman race is a great goal in itself and you'll learn alot about yourself in your journey. Train well enough to make the cutoffs and race with a smile. Make your first half Ironman an enjoyable day. It's not going to be easy but make it a memorable one.

After you complete this one you can set a more competitive time for your next half Ironman goal if you desire.

2017-12-12 6:35 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
That's a really good question. Had to remember my plan. When I started I wasn't able to do what the custom HIM plan told me to do in week one. So I've been doing an oly plan to get where I will be ready to jump into a HIM plan.

But now that I look at it again, they are merging so that whether I start a 26 week HIM or do the oly to HIM starting in Jan., it seems about the same now.

I've been running and biking to my limits, so I've been working, just working on my base fitness.
2017-12-12 10:56 PM
in reply to: #5232484

User image

Franklin, TN
Your base fitness needs to include swimming too. You’ll derail your whole race if the 1.2 mile swim is anything but a nice warmup. Get in the pool 3+ times a week and work yourself up to 2-3k per workout...weekly yardage of 7-10k should be enough to prepare you for a HIM.
2017-12-13 10:51 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

Originally posted by MuscleMomma

That's a really good question. Had to remember my plan. When I started I wasn't able to do what the custom HIM plan told me to do in week one. So I've been doing an oly plan to get where I will be ready to jump into a HIM plan.

But now that I look at it again, they are merging so that whether I start a 26 week HIM or do the oly to HIM starting in Jan., it seems about the same now.

I've been running and biking to my limits, so I've been working, just working on my base fitness.

swim swim swim

I'd say I picked up 15-20 minutes if you extended my "Olympic time" to a HIM distance by just getting into the pool at least twice a week during the winter holding pattern before starting a late winter HIM training plan for my first half. You know, as opposed to waiting until the weather was warm and the outdoor pool was open and swimming a few laps a couple times and calling it "good" for the season. Which you can get away with if you're only swimming a 700 meter or something in a sprint...or just needing to make it through one mile for one or two Olympic races in a year.

First off, 15 minutes is 15 minutes. Not insignificant. More importantly, getting out of the water was akin to getting out of bed. I was completely non stressed for the actual swim by race day. And non-taxed in any way when I got out of the water. Totally PRd my 56 mile ride as it was way flatter than I was used to and I was as fresh as a daisy after swimming. Run? Run was the run. Went better than I expected. Not as good as I could dream. I'm not a runner.

You seem more confident about your cycling and running....outside of injury or "base". Injury...only so much you can do about that. Base? It's just a math game. Just adding whatever percentage your plan calls for.

For most of us who are newer to this, I think swimming is just a mental game. Being able to put your face in the water and keep going and going and going and not quit out of shear boredom. That is the skill I practiced and learned. I figured I was rolling over and floating or breast stroking, not because I was "tired", but because I was bored. And wanted a change of scenery. That's what I practiced. Dealing with boredom. And just that alone, without any intense effort at learning technique beyond watching some Youtubes and reading an article or two, gave me that 15 minutes. You're going even deeper and could see even more percentage gains.
2017-12-13 12:57 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by JoelO

Your base fitness needs to include swimming too. You’ll derail your whole race if the 1.2 mile swim is anything but a nice warmup. Get in the pool 3+ times a week and work yourself up to 2-3k per workout...weekly yardage of 7-10k should be enough to prepare you for a HIM.

^This is important!!! I paid for it during my recent Ironman. Get those yards in!
2017-12-13 4:10 PM

User image

Aledo, Texas

Lots of good advice, insights, etc. above. 

One thing I like to do is to have multiple goals, but they're not all time-related. For example, I ran an open 10k this summer as part of my training. I had a time goal, but also had a goal to run the race smart and hard. I did not make my time goal, but I did run smart and I went as hard as I could. I was happy with my effort, so it was a good result even though I missed my time goal.

Goals should push you, but they also need to be achievable. If you think completing a 70.3 will push you but be achievable, then it's a great goal. I'll be cheering for you - please keep us updated!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goal to just finish Rss Feed