BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-02-16 2:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Swam in the new pool yesterday - awesome.  Got in 1900 yards because 2K would've been crazy.  

Zwift race this morning - UGH.  Did a 20 minute warm up for a 20 mile or so criterium.  Started off fine, then 10 minutes in dropped my stupid chain.  Just like in real life, you get dropped ain't no way you're catching back up.  Finished DFL in C category.  I am cooked - that hurt.  A lot.

Definitely an experience and I have a lot to learn about racing.  My power output was fine, just really bad execution (and the mechanical didn't help).

Happy Friday everyone!

Brave of you to go on opening day! What'd you think of the new area? I'm going tomorrow and can't wait to check it out, but likely won't get in the pool until Masters there on Monday.

The new pool is awesome.  

Tried to link a photo for the rest of you all but can't copy the link on my stupid tablet.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2018-02-16 2:05 PM

2018-02-19 8:46 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a friend in town for part of the weekend. We went to the gym Saturday morning and did a HIIT cycling class followed by Power Yoga. It was an awesome yoga class. I was sweating at one point, we were going through everything so quickly, and the instructor was really good.

Haven't had a chance to try out the new pool yet but I will be going to masters practice there tonight!
2018-02-19 10:04 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Vermont

Originally posted by drfoodlove

1600yd swim for me this afternoon at lunch, dodging high school kids and hanging out in the lane next to the guy who wears his wetsuit. Local high school kids had some sort of outing at my gym (the university rec center) and they were everywhere!! Including in my lane--I swam past them, made the turn, and then kablam! Ran right into one of them who was trying to cross lanes without actually looking. I don't know what's up with the wet suit guy. Normally he comes and swims about five laps, then drinks a gatorade. Then swims about five more laps and has a gu. Repeat for about 30 minutes and he's done. I've never seen anyone bring a suitcase of snacks to the pool before this guy.

This story both annoyed me (kids! They're never aware of their surroundings!) and made me giggle (who needs a gu mid-short swim?!).

Hahahha! Same! Wetsuit and GU's.
I tried a swim in a pool with a wetsuit because I had a race coming up and that was my only opportunity to try the suit before the race. I HATED it. I massively overheated wearing it in the pool. I could only swim 100 yds at a time before getting dizzy and after 1000 yds couldn't get it off soon enough. I felt constricted and claustrophobic. It was the weirdest feeling.
2018-02-19 10:05 AM

User image

, Vermont

Had my meet last night. Swam the 100 bk, 100 fr, 50 fly, the 100 bk leg of the 4x100 medley relay, and a leg in the 4x200 fr relay. Had a pretty good day. Final results haven't come out yet, but I swam about a 1:16 in the 100 bk, my split in the medley relay was about 1:18, swam a 1:06 I think in the 100 fr, and a 32something in the 50 fly. Not sure about the 4x200. The meet went super late and that was the last event and I just wanted to get out of the pool! haha

They also did a fun thing called The Plunge. You dive off the block and go as far as you can underwater without kicking or anything. My coach and I both won! They did it right in the middle of the meet to break it up, although it definitely didn't help with the meet going over, lol.

Went out to din with the team after and I cheated a little on my detox. Had a small piece of bread (we were at an italian place and I LOVE italian bread with olive oil), a small cookie my teammate baked, and a glass of red wine. No regrets, they were all delicious!

Dang, girl, you're fast. Nice job!
You earned the treats after!
2018-02-19 10:07 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Vermont
Monday-woke up and showered for work. While drying my hair—bam. Neck spasm. Not as bad as the time I couldn’t lift my head off my left shoulder for a week, but painful nonetheless. Fortunately, I just happened to have a follow up apppintment with the doc for my foot today, so hoping he’ll be able to help. If not, I still have the left over meds from last time!

How's the neck feeling? That's painful and no joke. Hope you're feeling better.
2018-02-19 10:11 AM

User image

, Vermont

Swam in the new pool yesterday - awesome.  Got in 1900 yards because 2K would've been crazy.  

Zwift race this morning - UGH.  Did a 20 minute warm up for a 20 mile or so criterium.  Started off fine, then 10 minutes in dropped my stupid chain.  Just like in real life, you get dropped ain't no way you're catching back up.  Finished DFL in C category.  I am cooked - that hurt.  A lot.

Definitely an experience and I have a lot to learn about racing.  My power output was fine, just really bad execution (and the mechanical didn't help).

Happy Friday everyone!

Brave of you to go on opening day! What'd you think of the new area? I'm going tomorrow and can't wait to check it out, but likely won't get in the pool until Masters there on Monday.

Hey guys, I'm switching bases to Reagan National starting in March. Is that pool at all accessible by the metro? The place I will stay is right on the metro line next to the airport. If I don't get called while sitting reserve I'd love to have a place to go to swim.

2018-02-19 10:14 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Not much activity from me this weekend as I spent a good portion of it dealing with work while was on-call. I did manage to get a 3 mile run in on Saturday before heading to the bike shop and finishing the fit on my new bike: a Trek Madone 9.0 (with added aero bars) This beauty is light and quick, looking forward to getting a real ride in this coming weekend.

2018-02-19 10:17 AM

User image

, Vermont
Hi all! I'm still keeping up with your posts.
Last week I lucked out with 3 overnights in Charleston, SC where I found a pool near the hotel. It was great - 50m pool and only cost $1 to go!! (It was closed the second day but I got to swim the first and third days). That was the first 50m pool I've ever been in and I loved it compared to the 25yd pool I use at home. My times were the same per 100yds too but I felt like I could get into the groove of swimming. Ironically I got nothing done when I got home except for taxes, but that had to happen. I'm hoping to get moving again better this week. I happen to have an overnight last night in my home airport so I get to be home today - heading to the trainer in a bit then to the pool before my show time this afternoon.
2018-02-19 10:19 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Happy Friday everyone!

Hey guys, I'm switching bases to Reagan National starting in March. Is that pool at all accessible by the metro? The place I will stay is right on the metro line next to the airport. If I don't get called while sitting reserve I'd love to have a place to go to swim.

We are actually in Baltimore, so it'd be a trek to get to the pool from there unfortunately. If you ever know when you will be in the area for a longer period of time though, let me know! It'd be cool to come there for a run or something! I'm not super familiar with the airport or what's around it, but DC has some decent bike trails that could probably double as run trails. Or if you ever are at BWI, even better!
2018-02-19 12:21 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Monday-woke up and showered for work. While drying my hair—bam. Neck spasm. Not as bad as the time I couldn’t lift my head off my left shoulder for a week, but painful nonetheless. Fortunately, I just happened to have a follow up apppintment with the doc for my foot today, so hoping he’ll be able to help. If not, I still have the left over meds from last time!

How's the neck feeling? That's painful and no joke. Hope you're feeling better.

As of this morning, I'm calling it better. It was painful all last week (hence the no workouts at all), but over the weekend my wife made me take the muscle relaxants (new stuff from the doc) every 8 hours, as prescribed. So, basically, my weekend was wake up Saturday morning, take pill. Had breakfast, then fell asleep drinking coffee on the couch (those pills are no joke!)--out cold for three hours. Then managed to be awake, but really dumb for the next three hours. Just about the time I'd get to feeling right again, it would be time for another pill. Repeat cycle of medically induced coma, awake but dumb, etc. All weekend. Woke up this morning without pain though!
2018-02-19 12:27 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Pool today! 1300yds at lunch time. It was a good workout, but I didn't want to push it too far with the neck.

Spent waking hours this weekend thinking about the season. I've just about decided to give the HIM I DNF last year one more try. I'm not staying in Egypt as late this year, so I'll have 20-21 weeks to train when I get back. Plus, I've decided that the Fink's Intermediate plan will work for my schedule and body. Last year I tried the competitive plan and I think it honestly was just too much for me--ended up at the start line kinda hurt. Walked (hobbled) away from the race very hurt.

So, my season is starting to take shape.

May--Herrin Trifesta Sprint (if they have it this year, RD died over the winter)
June--Tour de Corn Century Ride
July--Railsplitter Oly and Blue and Gold Tri (if they have it this year, RD died over the winter)
August--Wood River Sprint (if they have it this year, much talk that the pool is going to be closed for repairs)
September--Litchfield Triathalou Oly
October--Naptown HIM in indy

I'd love to pick up a couple of more sprints, but there just isn't a lot down where I live and I have a hard time justifying travel expenditures for a sprint.

2018-02-19 2:40 PM

Nashville, Tennessee
I've been a little in and out the last couple weeks myself. I did get back at it today with an almost 2 mile run around the local park and area around my work. I wanted to mix it up a bit but not sure I really liked it because I had to just about come to a stop at every light to make sure nobody was coming. Find out real quick it's much harder to start and stop then to just keep chugging along. Anyways, hoping to get a swim in at lunch tomorrow and another run and a bike this week at least. Easy to get outside today as it is 72 today in Nashville (no excuses.) Hope everyone has a great week and keep working hard.

Eric
2018-02-19 9:05 PM
in reply to: EHouse20

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
6 runs for me last week.

So happy with my frequency, finally a good week. Looking forward to hopefully taking another step forwards this week.
2018-02-20 7:49 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Off to a conference later today, so I have no idea what the rest of the week will bring. I have packed running and cycling clothes though, so I'm prepared should I fail to drink enough one night to make me lazy the next morning! Seattle, here I come!

Started of this morning with a short run of 30' with the pup. It is absolutely gorgeous here for mid February--72F at 6am, although pretty windy. I just couldn't not take the opportunity for a dawn run. It was great. I followed it up with about 15' of yoga to stretch out muscles I haven't used much lately.

Now to sit on my butt for the next 12 or so hours in a car, in a plane, in a train. *sigh*
2018-02-20 10:14 AM
in reply to: EHouse20

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by EHouse20 I've been a little in and out the last couple weeks myself. I did get back at it today with an almost 2 mile run around the local park and area around my work. I wanted to mix it up a bit but not sure I really liked it because I had to just about come to a stop at every light to make sure nobody was coming. Find out real quick it's much harder to start and stop then to just keep chugging along. Anyways, hoping to get a swim in at lunch tomorrow and another run and a bike this week at least. Easy to get outside today as it is 72 today in Nashville (no excuses.) Hope everyone has a great week and keep working hard. Eric

I do my best to plan running routes that have as few intersections as possible for this exact reason. Fortunately I'm better at starting up again after stopping however it's still a pain. Yesterday I did 1200m in the pool. Felt good, slow and steady increase is working good for me. Missed my run this morning, the joy of working for an international company means trying to schedule meetings with teams on the other side of the world.

2018-02-20 11:52 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Did about 2000yds in the new pool last night. Felt slow, and I think the flags might be a little closer to the wall than I'm used to. Mike, not sure how much backstroke you do, but let me know if you think they are close. When I flip in backstroke I do 3 strokes from the flags, then my 4th is my forward stroke for the turn, but I was doing that 4th and realizing the wall was RIGHT THERE.

I was the only one who showed for masters, so we definitely need to start building the team up. Although I definitely didn't hate having a lane to myself. On my other masters team I'm typically sharing with 3-5 people, so this was a nice change of pace. The coach got in and swam with me as well. She's coming back from knee surgery (apparently she blew her ACL flip-turning...definitely had never heard of that happening before) so wore flippers and made me feel slow lol.

2018-02-20 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Did about 2000yds in the new pool last night. Felt slow, and I think the flags might be a little closer to the wall than I'm used to. Mike, not sure how much backstroke you do, but let me know if you think they are close. When I flip in backstroke I do 3 strokes from the flags, then my 4th is my forward stroke for the turn, but I was doing that 4th and realizing the wall was RIGHT THERE. I was the only one who showed for masters, so we definitely need to start building the team up. Although I definitely didn't hate having a lane to myself. On my other masters team I'm typically sharing with 3-5 people, so this was a nice change of pace. The coach got in and swam with me as well. She's coming back from knee surgery (apparently she blew her ACL flip-turning...definitely had never heard of that happening before) so wore flippers and made me feel slow lol.

My daughter thought the turns were a little off,  too.  I'm not that in tune with it to comment.  

Traveling this week in CT, hotel gym time.  Got in another Zwift race yesterday and was more successful in that I wasn't DFL.  

2018-02-20 4:28 PM
in reply to: #5232499

User image

Back on the treadmill not fast but its a start. Couch to 5k. 8 weeks away from the 5 k
2018-02-21 8:29 AM
in reply to: Yakhead

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
30' min on the hotel elliptical machine--hill program (whatever that means).

I wanted to follow it up with some strength training, but the machine was broken and there wasn't enough room in that tiny fitness center to do any body weight work. Oh well.

Went out to a pub last night and had two new to me local brews. Switchback stout from Two Beers Brewing in Seattle. It was good--dark, weighty, chewy. My favorite kind! Then, I wanted something a little sweet for dessert, so I opted for the Seattle Cider from the Seattle Cider Company. Man, was it sweet!! It was the palest yellow color I've ever seen anything liquid on this end of the bladder. It took me 40 min to drink the pint because I had to keep drinking water to cut the sweet. A little too much for me.
2018-02-21 9:20 AM

Nashville, Tennessee
Got in 1400 yds at the pool yesterday. Also, found a couple guys I work with that have been into tri for a couple years now. Nice to be able to bounce questions off and hit the pool together at lunch.

In better news, I stepped on the scale on Monday before my run and I was 181, down from 190 when I started this journey back in November. I think other than the exercise the biggest factor has been eating habits. I started bringing a sandwich to work everyday instead of eating at the cafe on campus and our meals at night have been a bit healthier but most importantly a lot smaller. My biggest opponent right now are the 12 boxes of girl scout cookies my wife bought...ha

Also, anyone ever find any more info on ordering those BDAS tri tops? I know it was mentioned at one point but never saw anything else.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday and the week is downhill from here...

Eric
2018-02-21 9:55 AM
in reply to: Yakhead

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Yakhead Back on the treadmill not fast but its a start. Couch to 5k. 8 weeks away from the 5 k

keep it up and stick with it! I used C2k5 when I first started running about 5-6 years ago and never thought I could run more than a mile. 

re: BDAS Tri-tops, I'm trying to find the link to the site but not having any luck. Anyone who ordered one in the past still have an email or something from the order?

2018-02-22 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Like Gretchen, I'm hotel gym-ing it.  30 minutes on the ICG bike followed by a short swim in the short pool yesterday, 45 min on the TM with 5' of hill running and another short swim in the short pool today.  Back home tonight weather permitting.  It was 73 degrees here yesterday and today it's about to snow.

Facet joints in my back have been giving me trouble the last week or so, no idea why and nothing seems to help or aggravate it.  Improving slowly and I get a nerve ablation in a couple of weeks.  It's not really impacting my training, it's just annoying and interferes with sleep a little.

Another Zwift bike race tomorrow.

2018-02-22 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Nice job on the weight loss, Eric.  I've lost a couple of pounds but still need to drop another 10 before outdoor race season starts.  It's all diet for me, so I know what I have to do.  

2018-02-23 11:53 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

This morning was long course swim of 1200m in the pool and yesterday I managed a quick 2 mile run in the morning. Tomorrow I'm looking forward to going in a ride on my new bike

It's been a quiet week here, hope everyone is doing good!

2018-02-23 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Zwift race = pain.    I can't remember the last time I saw my HR that high on a bike.

23/29 Cat C, 49/65 overall.  Nice that I beat just about all of the Cat Ds, which means I'm at least racing the right category.

Afternoon recovery swim today while Kell swims.  (Did I mention we have a new pool???). 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 53594 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13484 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363