BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-03-01 10:00 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open

Originally posted by drfoodlove
Originally posted by MOlsen

Originally posted by drfoodlove Nice early morning run in a light rain at 50F--couldn't be better running weather, if you ask me

It was about 35F and sunny for my 3 mile run this morning, I wouldn't mind a few extra degrees so my hands don't freeze! Swimming later today after work and the water will probably be warmer than the air.

My last race last year the water was 27 degrees warmer than the air at race start. Water was 67F, air was 40F and I can tell you the first hour of the bike (HIM) was absolutely miserable.

Biking in 40F with the proper gear can still be somewhat miserable, let alone just wearing tri gear while still wet from a swim! My swim after work yesterday was good. Today is wet and windy so I will probably not get much done.

2018-03-01 11:44 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I can barely walk today thanks to boot camp yesterday. I haven't been this sore in a very long time. It is a good feeling, but I wish I didn't look so funny while walking!
2018-03-02 9:43 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by nicole14e I can barely walk today thanks to boot camp yesterday. I haven't been this sore in a very long time. It is a good feeling, but I wish I didn't look so funny while walking!

Sounds like me after some of my long trail runs! Missed my swim this morning due to an early phone meeting with east coast co-workers. Fortunately the pool will be open tomorrow morning so I can swim during the light rain instead of missing a workout due to weather. Sunday should clear up so I can get a bike ride in.

2018-03-02 1:55 PM

User image

Nicole (and anyone else who does crossfit or strength training classes),

Need some input. I really should do some strength training, and I know me, I need the structure and feedback of a class as opposed to going to the gym to lift some weights. Plus I have an amazing instructor (my pilates instructor) who will alter my workouts as needed. BUT....I am honestly running into the dilemma of only having so much time in the day, and so many days, to work out. My goal is to do tris this year, and really the activities I enjoy are primarily cardio. So really, I need to be running 3+ days a week, biking 3 days a week once weather improves, and swimming at least 2-3. I look at that last sentence and think "where the F--- do I fit in a fitness class in addition to work and home?".

So for those of you who do, how do you fit these in, and what does your workout schedule tend to look like? My initial plan had been to take up crossfit over the fall/winter, but best laid plans...and I've been where you just were Nicole where I'm TERRIFIED to go to a class after a long absence because I know it will destroy me for a week (making it that much easier to put off!). I may still need to do this, but realistically I know especially with my tendon/ligament issues that strength training is probably what I need to help with avoiding injury.

TIA for any feedback!

Sandi
2018-03-04 9:05 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by sandishr

Nicole (and anyone else who does crossfit or strength training classes),

Need some input. I really should do some strength training, and I know me, I need the structure and feedback of a class as opposed to going to the gym to lift some weights. Plus I have an amazing instructor (my pilates instructor) who will alter my workouts as needed. BUT....I am honestly running into the dilemma of only having so much time in the day, and so many days, to work out. My goal is to do tris this year, and really the activities I enjoy are primarily cardio. So really, I need to be running 3+ days a week, biking 3 days a week once weather improves, and swimming at least 2-3. I look at that last sentence and think "where the F--- do I fit in a fitness class in addition to work and home?".

So for those of you who do, how do you fit these in, and what does your workout schedule tend to look like? My initial plan had been to take up crossfit over the fall/winter, but best laid plans...and I've been where you just were Nicole where I'm TERRIFIED to go to a class after a long absence because I know it will destroy me for a week (making it that much easier to put off!). I may still need to do this, but realistically I know especially with my tendon/ligament issues that strength training is probably what I need to help with avoiding injury.

TIA for any feedback!

Sandi

Hey Sandi, I think now is the best time to start since you are not biking right now. And get that first one out of the way as soon as possible! My legs were finally much better today, and really it's just that first one that will hurt that much! Also, you can ease into it. Even if the class is doing more, don't overdo it.

When you do start running and biking and swimming, I think doing strength training even just once a week is hugely beneficial. I go to early morning classes, and when the weather is nicer might even run to and from the gym to get my runs in as well. I don't really bike a lot though, even when I am in tri training, so I am a bad example there. It's often a time issue for me too. I live in a city so to bike I either do figure 8s around the park by my house or have to drive somewhere to get on open/safer roads.

Would videos be an option? I know you say you need a class, but if it's a guided video, would that be something that would work for you? That could be an option for those really busy weeks.
2018-03-05 10:10 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Over the weekend I only made it out for one workout so I doubled up a bit for a brick. Rode my bike for 15 miles then went for a quick 1 mile run to remind myself how the run feels after the bike. A bit wobbly, as it turns out! The rest of this week will likely be gym workouts, which are nowhere near as fun.

2018-03-06 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Sandi - I find strength training to be beneficial year-round for me...I've done stuff like Bikram Yoga, Body Combat, and various self-directed weight training programs.  There's always a balance between SBR training and ST - too much ST is counterproductive (if your goal is to be faster at SBR). 

I find a certain amount of ST helps with my body's deficiencies = healthier me = more time SBR'ing = happier and faster Mike.  It has take lots of experimentation to find that right mix and volume, and it's a never-ending process (for example, my post-back-surgery me isn't capable of quite the same routine as before).

2018-03-06 8:43 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Had my nerve ablation yesterday, where they stick needles into and around your facet joints and electrocute the nerve (OK, they just deaden it with radio-frequency, but it sounds better my way).  Wasn't pleasant but was over pretty quickly.  Really sore last night and this morning, feeling better as the day progresses.  I'm allowed to bike and swim come Thursday or so, and then walk Fri/Sat and return to full activity next week.  Fingers crossed this gets rid of the last bit of discomfort which has really limited my range of motion and has me very guarded in some motions.

Got in a 45' TM session with 16' of running beforehand, actually felt pretty good.

2018-03-06 10:34 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Sandi - I find strength training to be beneficial year-round for me...I've done stuff like Bikram Yoga, Body Combat, and various self-directed weight training programs.  There's always a balance between SBR training and ST - too much ST is counterproductive (if your goal is to be faster at SBR). 

Before I started doing SBR I used to do cardio kick-boxing classes. Great overall workout and I miss it sometimes now that I'm no longer with a gym that has those classes. I may look into the Body Combat, especially if they have "on demand" classes I can do from home.

Speaking of gym, last night I did some time on the elliptical and rowing machines, which is a decent alternative when swimming is not an option.

2018-03-06 4:33 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Have an organic chemistry midterm in an hour which has been consuming most of my time. So ready for it to be over so I can get back into a routine that includes working out. Wish me luck!

Also, piggy backing on what Mike said about strength training, I agree it is finding what works best individually. For me, I am happier doing a boot camp than biking (I really truly dislike biking), and find that even though I know I should bike more, if I have a good strength base I can still do pretty well on the bike without getting on it very often. That being said, I have to get on my bike more this year!
2018-03-07 10:05 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Boot camp this morning after bombing my midterm last night :-/ It was a good stress reliever, although I am pretty wiped out at work now. Swim lessons and football finals tonight. Leave for Puerto Rico a week from tomorrow and it honestly can't come soon enough.

Hope everyone is having a great hump day.

2018-03-07 11:03 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi All. I'm still alive...just sick...again. This time knocked out with the flu over the weekend and into the early part of this week. Now I'm scrambling to try to get ready to leave for Egypt in a little over a week. There isn't enough time!!! I'm supposed to go to Chicago next week for a meeting, but I'm going to have to cancel that to make it to Egypt with all my stuff done.

Workouts: None until today. Today I ventured out for a 30 minute walk to run an errand. It was a mistake. I'm not ready. That short walk resulted in over 30 minutes of coughing my lungs up. I hate being sick and it feels like that is all I have been for the last six months!
2018-03-07 11:55 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hi All. I'm still alive...just sick...again. This time knocked out with the flu over the weekend and into the early part of this week. Now I'm scrambling to try to get ready to leave for Egypt in a little over a week. There isn't enough time!!! I'm supposed to go to Chicago next week for a meeting, but I'm going to have to cancel that to make it to Egypt with all my stuff done. Workouts: None until today. Today I ventured out for a 30 minute walk to run an errand. It was a mistake. I'm not ready. That short walk resulted in over 30 minutes of coughing my lungs up. I hate being sick and it feels like that is all I have been for the last six months!

Good to hear from you! Perhaps that walk did some good by getting things moving and clearing out your lungs. 

This week is a bit of a bust for me as well, work has been busy. Need to carve out some time here and there to get exercise, as I can feel the difference.

2018-03-08 7:37 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Still recovering from my nerve electrocution .  Going to jump on the bike later for a bit and see how things go.

@Gretchen - you just can't catch a break, can you? 

2018-03-09 10:17 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Masters practice this morning. I had a really hard time getting out of bed, but made it, and 10 minutes into practice I was dancing between sets. I really love this team. I sent them a message letting them know that they brighten my day, because I honestly didn't think I was going to make it through the morning.

2018-03-09 6:44 PM
in reply to: #5238836

User image

, Vermont
Gretchen, feel better! I hope it’s gone before you travel!!

How are the workouts feeling, Mike, with the ablation? Hopefully you’re back to 100% soon.

Nicole, I’m glad to see you went to master’s the morning after your exam, it’s good to take your mind off school for a bit.

Back in DC a couple of days ago. I was excited to get here because the decent gym in my building makes it a bit more worthwhile. As I got in the door to my crashpad I bent funny to unhook one bag from the other and my back went. Fortunately it wasn’t as bad as I’ve done it before but I was hurting. Stretching with cat arches and whatnot and Advil. Fortunately I didn’t have to work yesterday and I’m feeling more mobile today. I kept walking to limber it up. Hoping it continues to calm down.

2018-03-11 8:41 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Gretchen, feel better! I hope it’s gone before you travel!! How are the workouts feeling, Mike, with the ablation? Hopefully you’re back to 100% soon. Nicole, I’m glad to see you went to master’s the morning after your exam, it’s good to take your mind off school for a bit. Back in DC a couple of days ago. I was excited to get here because the decent gym in my building makes it a bit more worthwhile. As I got in the door to my crashpad I bent funny to unhook one bag from the other and my back went. Fortunately it wasn’t as bad as I’ve done it before but I was hurting. Stretching with cat arches and whatnot and Advil. Fortunately I didn’t have to work yesterday and I’m feeling more mobile today. I kept walking to limber it up. Hoping it continues to calm down.

Oh, no, Jenn!!  Hope it feels better quickly.

It's getting to be quite the infirmary around here.

Back is feeling pretty good, the ablated nerves still aren't happy but that should subside as the little buggers die.  Of course, I'm having some sort of reaction to the medicine (either the lidocaine or the steroid) and I have some hives.    Of course, because nothing's easy.

Didn't impact my bike workouts, which went fine.  

My training plan starts tomorrow, very cycling focused but I'll be doing 2 runs a week and at least two swims.  The Plan calls for an FTP test tomorrow but Ireally don't feel like suffering like that already.  With all the racing I've done and after a sweet spot build, I have a pretty good idea of where I am anyway.

@Nicole - I swear I'll get to Masters one day, hopefully they'll have a weekday morning one at Canton (Lindsey told me they were thinking about it).

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

2018-03-11 4:47 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Sick as a dog to end last week. Not going to get into the details, but the end result is 4 1/2 lbs lost through not eating and dehydration. :/ not sure that's such a good thing.

Feeling better, but still not 100%. Hopefully I'll be out for a run again tomorrow.

Hope you all had a better weekend than me.
2018-03-12 7:40 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Sick as a dog to end last week. Not going to get into the details, but the end result is 4 1/2 lbs lost through not eating and dehydration. :/ not sure that's such a good thing. Feeling better, but still not 100%. Hopefully I'll be out for a run again tomorrow. Hope you all had a better weekend than me.

Well look at the bright side, Andrew, it's a great way to start a weight loss program. 

Oh, and for you US-based peeps, I want my damn hour back. 

2018-03-12 9:04 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Jenn, so sorry to hear about your back! Sounds like it could've been worse but I'm sure that is so frustrating!

Mike, I believe you! and I would love a morning practice! Evenings are typically pretty packed, and I can't even go to Wednesday practices because I teach lessons at that time.

Andrew, hope you feel better! I second Mike's silver lining of the kick start to weight loss!

I am heading to Puerto Rico in just 3 days and I'm so so excited. But this is going to be a crazy 3 days. Not sure how much I will be able to work out but I plan on running and hiking and all that good stuff in PR!
2018-03-12 9:05 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Anyone heard from DQ lately? I reached out to him a little bit ago on FB but haven't heard back.

2018-03-12 2:47 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93
Well look at the bright side, Andrew, it's a great way to start a weight loss program. 

Haha, indeed. But I expect it to pop back up again once i'm a bit less dehydrated
2018-03-12 2:49 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by nicole14e

Anyone heard from DQ lately? I reached out to him a little bit ago on FB but haven't heard back.

I haven't heard from him, but he's one of my MyFitnessPal friends, and he's active on there. I just saw an update that he had logged 15 days in a row. So I assume he's alive and kicking

I'll send him a message there, and try and see how he's doing.
2018-03-12 8:55 PM
in reply to: #5239564

User image

, Vermont
^^^. I’ve seen him on MFP as well and given him kudos there but haven’t heard from him. I’ve been wondering about him.
2018-03-13 10:05 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Finally made it back in the pool after a busy work of week and managed 1300m. The pool was surprisingly busy despite the light rain falling, I guess it does not really matter getting wetter when you are already in the pool Unfortunately the wet weather is cutting into my run and bike time, will need to hit the gym to stay dry and get my cardio workouts.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 53001 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13212 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363