BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-09-24 7:48 PM
in reply to: #5249659

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open
Sept workouts: 32

Great ows tonight with the university tri club. Not too many ows weeks left, getting kinda dark on the way back in.

2018-09-25 7:21 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
It is morning and I didn't workout yet today. Taper feels weird. Normally, TR I lift weights in the morning, so this whole not doing anything is disquieting. I did, however, get to sleep in a little, which was nice. The dog spent the hours from 3am to 5am sitting on my head (she's afraid of thunder and we are having a whopper of a storm right now), which isn't actually all that conducive to sleeping.

Run scheduled for later this afternoon and it is looking more and more like it will be on the tiny track at the gym. Storming all day. Then, tonight is Tri Club meeting--will be the first one I've been to in over a year. I quit going because they kept cancelling them all the time the day of the meeting, which is annoying when you've rearranged things to be able to make a specific meeting. New leadership will hopefully change that!
2018-09-25 11:44 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

My longest bike ride to date (59 miles) is now in the books. Not really a race (charity ride) but I did write up a race report. Great route which I will probably ride again.

2018-09-25 12:26 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by MOlsen

My longest bike ride to date (59 miles) is now in the books. Not really a race (charity ride) but I did write up a race report. Great route which I will probably ride again.

Great job Mark!!  And, so close to the metric century point (62 miles=100k).

How was it?   And how long was your longest ride previously?  My longest so far is 26 miles, also a charity ride.  I have always felt like I could keep going after that sort of mileage, but didn't have time or know where to go...and have always worried about getting too far away from home if anything went wrong.

2018-09-25 5:47 PM
in reply to: #5249726

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Sept workouts: 33

Nice hour run on the indoor track at the gym. Just at race pace, felt really good. Now I’m just waiting for the tri club meeting to start.
2018-09-26 7:53 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Sept workouts: 34

Nice 2000m swim this morning with masters. Later, hour brick, which should be outside. I'm looking forward to it.

Went to the tri club meeting last night. Are any of you in a tri club? What should i really be expecting here? It is based out of the university, so I know I can't expect professional or even adult level organization.

2018-09-26 9:46 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by firebert

Great job Mark!!  And, so close to the metric century point (62 miles=100k).

How was it?   And how long was your longest ride previously?  My longest so far is 26 miles, also a charity ride.  I have always felt like I could keep going after that sort of mileage, but didn't have time or know where to go...and have always worried about getting too far away from home if anything went wrong.

Thanks! My longest ride prior to this was about 30 miles, so I essentially doubled the distance. Only the last 10 miles or so were a little rough as my legs began to wear out and get tired. I could have gone further but was glad I didn't need to

2018-09-26 12:41 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Are any of you in a tri club? What should i really be expecting here? It is based out of the university, so I know I can't expect professional or even adult level organization.

I'm not.  I'm not opposed to it, it's just the one at my local Y (before I moved) was a bunch of yahoos who just bragged to each other about which Ironman they did; and then I'd pass all of them at our local Y tri... more like a frat than a club dedicated to promoting positive attitude and healthy lifestyle...  :|

2018-09-26 12:43 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Thanks! My longest ride prior to this was about 30 miles, so I essentially doubled the distance. Only the last 10 miles or so were a little rough as my legs began to wear out and get tired. I could have gone further but was glad I didn't need to

That's good news!  As soon as we get settled in the new house (just closed today!), I'll get the bike back out and enjoy Florida fall bike riding.  Hoping to get in on some group rides with the LBS.

2018-09-26 1:43 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by firebert

Originally posted by nicole14e Hi everyone! I am emailing from a train somewhere in the French countryside! I have not run nearly as much as I planned, so I need to get on it this week! Hope everyone is doing well!

That's awesome!  What a great way to see it too.  France looks beautiful on TV every year of the Tour de France

It was SO beautiful!
2018-09-26 1:50 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone! I'm finally back in the states. Got in yesterday evening and melted into my couch for a few hours before passing out to try to readjust to the time change quicker. Feel pretty good today, although that zombie feeling is definitely kicking in.

I didn't run nearly as much as I planned to, and have no clue how far or how fast I ran when I did. I also ate and drank a lot, so I'm feeling pretty soft right now. Went to boot camp this morning, gonna swim tomorrow and do a light run Friday before my tri on Saturday. Considering doing another little tri Sunday but that seems overly ambitious now.

I won this Saturday tri last year but do not think I will be defending my title this year. Not really going in with any expectations at this point and will just fight however I can.

Gretchen, good luck in your race! Try to enjoy the rest of your taper week!

2018-09-28 8:13 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Sept workouts: 35

2000m in the pool this morning after an unscheduled (but needed) rest day yesterday. I ate something funny at lunch...maybe the two week old homemade Caesar salad dressing (with anchovies) or the 1.5 week old tuna salad (I need to get to the store). Yesterday afternoon was not pretty.

I broke down and ordered a new wetsuit too, since my old one doesn't *quite* fit anymore and my race is looking to be kinda cold after a week with lows in the 40s and rain scheduled every day. Last year the water was really great, but the air temp was 46F at start time. This year it looks like the air temp will be warmer (scheduled in the upper 50s), but the water temp is likely to be cooler. Now I just need to try it on while praying to the tri gods that it fits and get in the lake with it a couple of times. There was no way I was going to try it on when it arrived yesterday!
2018-09-28 8:14 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Hey everyone! I'm finally back in the states. Got in yesterday evening and melted into my couch for a few hours before passing out to try to readjust to the time change quicker. Feel pretty good today, although that zombie feeling is definitely kicking in.

I didn't run nearly as much as I planned to, and have no clue how far or how fast I ran when I did. I also ate and drank a lot, so I'm feeling pretty soft right now. Went to boot camp this morning, gonna swim tomorrow and do a light run Friday before my tri on Saturday. Considering doing another little tri Sunday but that seems overly ambitious now.

I won this Saturday tri last year but do not think I will be defending my title this year. Not really going in with any expectations at this point and will just fight however I can.

Welcome back! I find jet lag so much worse when I come back to the states than when I go to Egypt. That might have something to do with the fact that when I go, I have so much to do I just have to get on with it, jet lag or not. When I come home, I always give myself a whole week to be a total baby and just lay on the couch if I want. Somehow, I always want to lay on the couch for the whole week!
2018-09-28 11:27 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Welcome back! I find jet lag so much worse when I come back to the states than when I go to Egypt. That might have something to do with the fact that when I go, I have so much to do I just have to get on with it, jet lag or not. When I come home, I always give myself a whole week to be a total baby and just lay on the couch if I want. Somehow, I always want to lay on the couch for the whole week!

I agree! Going there was definitely much easier. I finally feel awesome today. I've been going to bed right around 9 each night but waking up between 3:30 and 4:30. Today I woke up at 4:30 but feel great. I meal prepped all morning before work lol. Tonight I'm going to pack for my race tomorrow and study a bit I think. I'm actually thinking this jet lag will help me at least a little, since my body is so used to waking up super early now haha
2018-09-29 1:58 PM
in reply to: #5249800

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Sept workouts: 37

2:15 bike followed by a short brick run. I did the bike on the trainer. It is parents weekend here and traffic is terrible. Plus, I was slightly hung over when I started and I really didn’t want to be too awful far from home and a bathroom. Overall, it wasn’t bad. I started a new Netflix binge called the last kingdom. Watched two episodes and it isn’t bad.
2018-09-30 10:22 AM
in reply to: #5249978

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Sept workouts: 39

Short run followed by a short, high cadence trainer ride. One week to go!

2018-10-01 10:22 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ended up doing two tris this weekend. Had the Baltimore tri on Saturday (Sprint). It went better than I'd hoped but my shin was SUPER tight on the run so it wasn't as fast as I wanted it to be. I won my age group and got 9th overall. Will try to find time to do a RR but my races are never already up on BT and it takes awhile to fill in all that info. Do you guys have that problem as well? Or are you able to find your races and just add your own info?

I then did a small tri at my gym. It was a 3000m row, 1000 yard swim and a 2.2 mile run. I haven't rowed in ages (and my shoulders/neck definitely feel it today!), but it went okay, and my swim and run went well (especially the run...had a PT at the race on Saturday massage it out and it helped a ton). I got 3rd overall and had a pretty good time!

It was a fun challenge competing in two races! Now it's time to focus on swimming/meet season
2018-10-02 7:44 AM
in reply to: #5249998

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Two races in one weekend? That’s fantastic! I’m lucky if we have two races in a month around here.

Ows last night in my new wetsuit. It is weird swimming in a wetsuit again. I don’t really like it, but at least I didn’t panic and have to pull it half way off like I did the last time I wore a wetsuit in a race. Not much will kill your swim split like having the top of your wetsuit hanging down.

This morning a short run with a few pickups sprinkled throughout. Nothing too strenuous. Bad news is the pool is closed due to a broken heater! Looks like no taper swims for me...unless I can convince my wife to come to the lake with me one night.
2018-10-02 9:40 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Will try to find time to do a RR but my races are never already up on BT and it takes awhile to fill in all that info. Do you guys have that problem as well? Or are you able to find your races and just add your own info?

I almost never find my races already listed and add them when I do my race report.

Over the weekend I went for a good 10 mile run, mixed road and trail. Sunday was a bust as I made a quick trip up to the bay area and back Monday morning. Not much else on my calendar for the rest of the year so I'm looking ahead to next season. May sign up for a metric century bike ride in March.

2018-10-03 2:47 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Race day creeps closer!!

AND...the pool is back open!!! I've heard it is cold and somewhat cloudy, but at least it is open! I can get my swim in tomorrow and have less of a chance that I will have forgotten how to swim come Sunday.

Short brick today. Took my tri bike out on the roads around the house to make sure it is running okay before I leave on Friday. Everything seemed tip top shape and I was riding that slightly hilly route like a boss today. I'll tell you, everything is really falling into place this year with training. I feel totally ready and confident about this race...so different than the same time last year.
2018-10-04 8:10 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
easy 60' spin on the trainer this morning. tonight, last ows with the swim team before my race. One last chance to test out the new wetsuit.

2018-10-05 9:56 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Good luck this weekend, Gretchen!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

I have been having a lazy/busy week. I'm setting my house up to become an AirBnB host, so that plus trying to get caught up with school (I'm way behind right now!) has been taking up most of my time. I'm hunkering down to do a lot of schoolwork this weekend in the hopes that I get caught up and can be a normal human again. Have my first AirBnB guest coming in tonight too!

I did manage to get in a good swim tomorrow and hope to make masters practice up in Towson tomorrow morning.
2018-10-06 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good luck this weekend, Gretchen!

Sitting here at a swim meet...4 hours to watch 3.5 minutes of swimming.  LOL  Spent the week in Chicago for some meetings, weather was all over the place so I got in a couple of hotel gym workouts plus we walked a ton.  Up to CT this week for more meetings, so more hotel gym time.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

2018-10-07 11:01 AM
in reply to: #5250077

User image

, Vermont
Good luck, Gretchen!! Can’t wait to read the RR!!
2018-10-09 12:51 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
welcome to the off season!!! My refrigerator already has two kinds of pizza and three kinds of beer in it!!

My race on Sunday was great! I ended up getting second Athena division, but unfortunately I didn't know that until they posted results the next day, so no award. I've emailed the RD, but don't really expect him to go out of his way.

The race was kind of crazy. First, the shuttle to T1 got stuck in the mud and I ended up sitting on a bus for nearly two hours waiting for it to get towed out. Then (or, actually at the same time) there was really dense fog. So much that we couldn't even see the lake from T1, and T1 was on the lake beach. So...we waited, and waited, and waited. The race finally started with a shortened swim, down to about 570yds by my garmin with full distance bike and run. Overall, 69.17miles according to my garmin. We started about 90 minutes late, but they announced they had to keep the same cutoff times for the bike and run, which sent me into a pretty good panic about not finishing. Anyway, overall my swim was fast for me. My bike was fantastic and my run was holding on for dear life just waiting for it to be over. somewhere in the middle of the run I decided my days of long course running are over, but I'm already rethinking that decision after a day of rest and pretty much no real soreness the day after the race. Guess all that training actually paid off. Although, I will admit I spent good chunks of the ride home from Indy sleeping while my wife drove.

Race report is here (https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=553030)...it is boring. With the exception of learning pretzels taste like salty sawdust at mile 4.55 of the run, I don't have much insight for you. I was all non-thinking machine this race. I coudln't let myself start thinking, because then I'd get worried about the cutoff times. I ended up running across the finish line at 4:29:30, but then learned they'd decided to keep the course open later. Oh well...it motivated me to move faster on the run than I think I otherwise would have.

Thanks for all the support this season everyone!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 53272 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13376 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363