BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-10-10 8:28 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open
Great job, Gretchen! Glad to hear it went so well even with all those delays!

Life has been crazy here and I'm way behind in school still, but hoping to catch up by the weekend. Went to boot camp this morning. Am having a weird pain in my leg, so that's not fun. Swim tomorrow.

2018-10-10 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Great job, Gretchen! I know the "why am I running now" feeling all too well during a triathlon. During the Wildflower Oly I felt the same way and realized while I enjoy long distance running (mainly on trails now) I don't enjoy it after a long bike ride. Next season I plan to do a couple sprint tri's and keep my long course activities single sport.

Here's to a good off season!

2018-10-16 9:04 PM
in reply to: #5250342

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Just signed up for my first full!!! 8/18/19 in Grand Rapids, MI.
2018-10-17 8:05 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e Ended up doing two tris this weekend. Had the Baltimore tri on Saturday (Sprint). It went better than I'd hoped but my shin was SUPER tight on the run so it wasn't as fast as I wanted it to be. I won my age group and got 9th overall. Will try to find time to do a RR but my races are never already up on BT and it takes awhile to fill in all that info. Do you guys have that problem as well? Or are you able to find your races and just add your own info? I then did a small tri at my gym. It was a 3000m row, 1000 yard swim and a 2.2 mile run. I haven't rowed in ages (and my shoulders/neck definitely feel it today!), but it went okay, and my swim and run went well (especially the run...had a PT at the race on Saturday massage it out and it helped a ton). I got 3rd overall and had a pretty good time! It was a fun challenge competing in two races! Now it's time to focus on swimming/meet season

Seriously, you kick a$$ Nicole!!!  It wasn't enough to compete in two tris over the weekend, you threw in an AG win and a 9th and 3rd overall for good measure!!!!!

2018-10-17 8:09 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove welcome to the off season!!! My refrigerator already has two kinds of pizza and three kinds of beer in it!! My race on Sunday was great! I ended up getting second Athena division, but unfortunately I didn't know that until they posted results the next day, so no award. I've emailed the RD, but don't really expect him to go out of his way. The race was kind of crazy. First, the shuttle to T1 got stuck in the mud and I ended up sitting on a bus for nearly two hours waiting for it to get towed out. Then (or, actually at the same time) there was really dense fog. So much that we couldn't even see the lake from T1, and T1 was on the lake beach. So...we waited, and waited, and waited. The race finally started with a shortened swim, down to about 570yds by my garmin with full distance bike and run. Overall, 69.17miles according to my garmin. We started about 90 minutes late, but they announced they had to keep the same cutoff times for the bike and run, which sent me into a pretty good panic about not finishing. Anyway, overall my swim was fast for me. My bike was fantastic and my run was holding on for dear life just waiting for it to be over. somewhere in the middle of the run I decided my days of long course running are over, but I'm already rethinking that decision after a day of rest and pretty much no real soreness the day after the race. Guess all that training actually paid off. Although, I will admit I spent good chunks of the ride home from Indy sleeping while my wife drove. Race report is here (https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=553030)...it is boring. With the exception of learning pretzels taste like salty sawdust at mile 4.55 of the run, I don't have much insight for you. I was all non-thinking machine this race. I coudln't let myself start thinking, because then I'd get worried about the cutoff times. I ended up running across the finish line at 4:29:30, but then learned they'd decided to keep the course open later. Oh well...it motivated me to move faster on the run than I think I otherwise would have. Thanks for all the support this season everyone!

Holy S Gretchen!!  Great work!  Congrats on the division 2nd placing - AND overcoming all the adversity to get it done!!  All the hard work paid off!

2018-10-19 7:57 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Got myself a copy of Be Iron Fit last night to use as training program for IM distance race. I used their HIM plans for all three of my HIM races (intermediate plan for the two successful races; competitive for the one I was injured). I was kind of surprised to find that the long rides and runs aren't really that much longer than for the HIM plan, especially during the base and build phases. Am I just worrying too much? I know lots of people have successfully used this plan to complete an IM distance race.

Jenn, DQ (if you are still with us), anyone else who has done an IM--what plan did you use and did you like it/think it got you prepared?

2018-10-24 9:09 PM
in reply to: #5250789

User image

, Vermont
Gretchen, congratulations on both the race and signing up for the full!!! You’ve got this!!
I used the BIF plan and felt really strong for the full and plan to use it again for the upcoming season. For MT I used mainly the intermediate with some competitive when I had more time. I think I used the competitive for the swim. For initially training for this past summer (before I had to defer) I used Just Finish and switched to intermediate if I had time due to my whacky schedule
I put it on an excel spreadsheet so I could have a hard copy and also put it on my google drive so if I forgot the hard copy I could bring it up on the phone. I hope this helps a little.

Heading to spin class tomorrow. There’s been a lot going on here but most interruptions are complete for the fall for me so im looking to slowly start to build for next season.
2018-10-24 9:10 PM
in reply to: #5251069

User image

, Vermont
Holy smokes, Nicole, you’re speedy!!
2018-10-28 1:46 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Jenn, DQ (if you are still with us), anyone else who has done an IM--what plan did you use and did you like it/think it got you prepared?

Hi Gretchen (and rest of the group)!
It has been a looong time since I wrote here, for many different reasons, but mainly motivation was gone and spent this past year trying to be active while working, and catching up on family time. BUT last week I hit the "register" button for the HIM Vichy in France next August, so back on the wagon again - hope to be more active here as well.
Regarding BeIronFit, it was my book: I followed the Intermediate plan for my full IM in Austria last year, did about 85% of what was supposed to be done, and finished in 12.47. Agree with you that long runs are not "that long", rides may be, but the book is a great "how-to" guide.
Good luck!!

Juan

2018-10-29 7:42 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone,

I've been a bit off the grid lately. Now that my races are pretty much over for the year, I haven't been doing as much as I should be. I'm still swimming, but have really only been doing that once a week, going to boot camp once a week and playing vball once a week. Hoping to get back into a routine after this coming weekend (I'm traveling to Tennessee to see my sister). It's definitely getting colder here, and my classes have been crushing me a little but just over a month before the hardest one is over so I'm just going to keep trucking along.

I hope everyone is doing well! Let's try to be more active here! It's good motivation for me when I see people on here getting stuff done!
2018-10-29 12:14 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Juan! Great to hear from you.

Nicole - Totally agree we need to be active on here even when we're not as active, it's the group that's always motivated me.  I remember my first year on here we were so active all winter, doing challenges and what not, I was trying to get to the gym or the pool in snowstorms just to meet my challenge quotas

I have my HM this weekend.  It's been a very long year of not making too much fitness progress.  No activity October of '17 until late March of this year, and since then it's been mostly running, and 2-3 times a week at that.  I've been about 70-80% faithful to my HM training plan at least, and hoping it's cooled off enough in FL to meet my goal time this weekend.  At least since it's a Disney race, it starts at 530am so the sun won't have had a chance to heat things up too much.

2018-10-30 10:56 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Disney races always start early and have great support, always fun to run through the parks. I'm hitting that post season lull as well however I need to start ramping up on my long distance bike rides. Signed up for a metric century in March so there will be no slacking for me this winter!

2018-10-30 1:09 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

DeLand, Florida

That's a great idea Mark - I need to sign up for something to keep me moving once this race is done.  I'm fortunate enough to live now where it's still hot at the moment, and I'll be able to ride outside all but probably two weeks this winter.  

Saw a great little blurb from VeloNews about offseason training.  something like 'now that race season is over, it's time to work on base building.  Any ride is miles towards that base - so don't stress about how far or how fast just go ride for fun!'

2018-10-30 1:34 PM
in reply to: #5251070

User image

, Vermont
Hi all!
Juan, good to hear from you!

Spin class and PT today. Spinning again the next two days, one is an RPM class. Got in a couple of workouts last week and my workout plan for IMLP is all set to go in Excel. I’ve got a couple of months before it begins so I’m just trying to get a decent base going.
I sit reserve in DC for the month of November which would normally be disappointing, but I managed to get most of the week of Thanksgiving off (kids are happy) and if I don’t get used I will be at the gym across the street! Here’s to hoping for lots of gym time! Haha. I’m trying to stay consistent with MFP and start reining in my food choices. (I say this as I munch pumpkin bread..yum!)
I will try to make more effort in signing in here. I do read all the posts but haven’t been posting myself. You guys are right, it does help to keep motivated when you post!
2018-10-30 3:06 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

To pile on - I've been really off the grid lately (and off the reservation, too ).  Work is crazy...good crazy, buy crazy.  Some travel here and there.

I've been working out, sorta training, make my millionth attempt at getting this back/hip thing all sorted out.  It's like 90% right now and I'm going to start running again soon, hopefully.

Good to hear from everyone.

2018-10-31 10:17 AM
in reply to: #5251323

User image

, Vermont
Mile walk, 3 mile run in this morning. If I have time this afternoon I’ll try to sneak back for a quick swim. October has been continuous overcast here in VT, slam dunking us into the winter blahs early. This is the time to get some routine going so when real winter hits it won’t be as big an adjustment.
In the words of John Bingham, “waddle on, friends.”

2018-10-31 10:22 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Getting a routine going is key!  Remind me of this next week when I settle into the post race 'recovery' that turns into a week of doing nothing at all that turns into 3 months. :D

2018-10-31 10:26 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Random tip #114 - a foam roller can be used to stretch your calves.

Is it just me who's constantly looking for a calf stretch spot?  When I lived in a 2 story house it was fine, I had stairs.  Now stairs are nonexistent, and using the wall doesn't work for me barefoot, but the shoe leaves black marks.....So today I noticed my foam roller lying up against a wall, and tried it out.  It flexes enough to be barefoot friendly, it's the right height, and more importantly, up against the wall, it doesn't move.  That was the best calf stretch I've had in months!

2018-10-31 10:37 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ahhh you all are awesome! So much activity this week, let's definitely keep it going! Great to hear from everyone!

John, good luck in your HM! You are going to crush it. Aren't Disney races pretty flat too? That will be nice.
Also, great tip with the foam roller for your calf. I thought you just meant rolling it, which is also good, but never thought of it against a wall. I will definitely be trying that out.

I went to boot camp this morning but left a little early b/c I was really dizzy. I don't know if I'm out of shape or if it's residual from being sick 2 weeks ago. I also haven't been eating well so I'm sure it's a combination of all 3.
Heading to TN tonight to visit a friend and my sister, but I hope to run a few times while I'm down there to kickstart my routine again. Then once I'm back it's on! I will be meal prepping, swimming 2-3 times a week, running, boot camp, all the things! I signed up for a turkey trot and think I'm signing up for a 5 mile race in mid-December to keep me motivated.
2018-11-01 6:55 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
So good to hear so much activity lately in this group! It did help me so much in the past to find the motivation, and it did again!

7k run this morning, cold sunny day -perfect weather- at 5.31, happy to get back in the mood.
Now need to get a plan for 2019: focus on 10k run on Dec 31st, find a HIM in April, my "A" race will be HIM Vichy (France) in August.
Trying to get rid of 4-5 kg, but at the same time trying to get certified by WSET -wine school- so not easy hahaha
Have a great and active long weekend!

Juan
2018-11-01 7:29 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

75' trainer ride this morning - it's supposed to be 75 degrees here today but there's no way I can make an outdoor ride work with my work schedule.  Bummer.  Oh well, might have a beer outside later. 

2018-11-01 9:43 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Managed a short two mile run and some bike commuting so far this week. Heading down to San Diego this weekend and hoping to get in a good trail run. Will likely try a few good beers while I'm down there, as it is a mecha of craft brewing.

2018-11-01 10:24 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

DeLand, Florida

Now we're talking!  Look at all this activity

I got 3 miles in yesterday, easy pace short distance just keeping the legs moving for my HM Sunday.  Will do the same on Friday, then since it's a Disney race, we're spending the weekend at WDW.  Hopefully I don't do -too- much walking around Magic Kingdom on Saturday!  Gotta save the legs you know.

2018-11-01 3:29 PM
in reply to: #5251369

User image

, Vermont
Spin class and PT on Tuesday.
Run on Wednesday.
Swim 1600 yds today with lots of drill sets. I almost didn’t go - throat is sore and I’m feeling run down but opted out of RPM spin this morning and relaxed at home and went to the pool at noon.
I commute out and work tomorrow but might be able to get something done in the morning.
Keep the activity going! Let’s do this!
2018-11-03 7:21 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Beautiful run this morning - 7km in cold sunny saturday morning, felt a lot better.
Tomorrow 1500m swim and hopefully spin class right after
John, enjoy your HM@WDW!

Juan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 53189 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13341 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363