General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Workout for lean muscle????? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-12-30 5:16 PM

User image

Mesa, Arizona
Subject: Post Workout for lean muscle?????
Hello all,

I did my first IM this year and I am signed up for IMAZ next year as well. Now that I have achieved the distance I want to start working more on speed. My real training plan starts in May and I am planning to do a lot more speed work than I did in 2017. In my off season (now until May) I am planning to add more strength in the gym for cycling power and swim pull power, and work on my mechanical efficiency in all three disciplines.

My question: does anyone take a post workout to help build lean muscle mass following lifting or intense cardio? If so, what?

Thanks in advance!

2017-12-30 7:46 PM
in reply to: LanceBrace

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Post Workout for lean muscle?????
I would think that increasing muscle strength and endurance would be more important than building muscle mass, particularly for IM and HIM distance. I don't take any special supplements, but for long workouts you do need to make sure to replenish carbs and take in some protein to repair muscle damage and aid recovery. I've heard times ranging from 30 to 60 minutes as the optimal "window" for carb replacement and muscle repair. That can be challenging for athletes who are tired and hot after training, and need time to clean up and prepare a recovery meal. The only time I use special "recovery" products (a smoothie with protein powder, soymilk, nut butter, and bananas, among other good stuff) is when I'm too tired, hungry, and/or overheated to replenish immediately with food. I do a lot of my training in tropical heat, so those smoothies do play a role in my recovery from long runs, rides, and bricks. I will typically follow that up within a few hours with a solid meal including healthy carbs and protein.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Workout for lean muscle????? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Muscle gains while training

Started by Ericaonelove
Views: 668 Posts: 5

2017-09-11 4:04 PM GODAWGS

1.12.17 Thursday workouts!

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 624 Posts: 6

2017-01-12 8:17 PM Hot Runner

1.5.17 Thursday Workouts!

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 566 Posts: 6