Other Resources The Political Joe » White male privilege Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-02 11:00 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: White male privilege
I was born a white male. I had no say so in the matter. Did I benefit from my whiteness or my masculinity? Perhaps.

Athletically I was born in the shallow end of the gene pool. Unlike many athletes who were born on third base, I wasn't even born in the dugout, I was born in the parking lot! I'm the guy at the company picnic that stuck out at slow-pitch softball game! I'm the guy that always got picked last when choosing teams as a kid. I never played any organized sports because I slow and clumsy. Finally found a sport I could participate in, triathloning!! At least in triathlons I did not have to disappoint any teammates.

Artistically I robbed! I haven't an ounce of artistic talent in all of my bones. I can't draw so much as a smiley face without a computer. :-)

Musically I have less than zero talent. I've tried for months to play the piano, even taking lessons and never got much past chop-stix.

But all that doesn't matter because I am white and male!

When my kids were little I tried to instill in them that LIFE IS NOT FAIR. We are all different from birth. Some people are born with a 130+ IQ and some are born with an IQ of 70. (I have two kids - one at each of those numbers) Some are born with a natural athletic physique and some are built like a plum. Some are born with musical talent. Some are born with a beautiful singing voice. The church asked me to sing tenor......as in ten or fifteen miles away from the church!

I was not born rich. I have eaten government canned meat and government cheese and was one of the kids that got "free lunch" in grade school.

Nevertheless the question still remains, am I privileged because I am a white male? Sure. But while maleness does no more guarantees your success than being a black female guarantees the lack thereof. Just ask billionaire, Opra. Does being white and male give me an advantage? Maybe in certain circumstances but not in others. Does being 6'3" give me an advantage? Absolutley, I can clean the top of the refrigerator without a stool step. On the other hand, I probably won't live as long as smaller men - ever see a 90-something year old at 6'3"? Never.

Anyway, life is not fair! The sooner people accept that the sooner they will be at peace with themselves.

ETA Figured I start the year off right with a rambling essay that has no real point.

Edited by Rogillio 2018-01-02 11:01 AM

2018-01-02 11:08 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: White male privilege

I was born with parental privilege.  I had the privilege of either getting with the program or getting my arse whipped.  My own children grew up with the same privilege.  I'm hoping my kids can't wait to beat their own children.

2018-01-02 11:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

I was born with parental privilege.  I had the privilege of either getting with the program or getting my arse whipped.  My own children grew up with the same privilege.  I'm hoping my kids can't wait to beat their own children.

Dang it, you stole my thunder.  There's only one privilege that matters and that's parental privilege.  I don' care if you're black, white, rich, or poor.  If you have a solid family at home that loves you then you can do anything you want.

That being said, this doesn't mean you can't be successful if you grew up in a broken home, it just means you have another hurdle to overcome.  Outside of legitimate mental illness, there is nothing that keeps any of us from being wildly successful.

"If you are born poor its not your mistake, But if you die poor its your mistake". - Bill Gates

Edited by tuwood 2018-01-02 11:16 AM
2018-01-04 1:00 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Rogillio

I was born a white male. I had no say so in the matter. Did I benefit from my whiteness or my masculinity? Perhaps.

Athletically I was born in the shallow end of the gene pool. Unlike many athletes who were born on third base, I wasn't even born in the dugout, I was born in the parking lot! I'm the guy at the company picnic that stuck out at slow-pitch softball game! I'm the guy that always got picked last when choosing teams as a kid. I never played any organized sports because I slow and clumsy. Finally found a sport I could participate in, triathloning!! At least in triathlons I did not have to disappoint any teammates.

Artistically I robbed! I haven't an ounce of artistic talent in all of my bones. I can't draw so much as a smiley face without a computer. :-)

Musically I have less than zero talent. I've tried for months to play the piano, even taking lessons and never got much past chop-stix.

But all that doesn't matter because I am white and male!

When my kids were little I tried to instill in them that LIFE IS NOT FAIR. We are all different from birth. Some people are born with a 130+ IQ and some are born with an IQ of 70. (I have two kids - one at each of those numbers) Some are born with a natural athletic physique and some are built like a plum. Some are born with musical talent. Some are born with a beautiful singing voice. The church asked me to sing tenor......as in ten or fifteen miles away from the church!

T
I was not born rich. I have eaten government canned meat and government cheese and was one of the kids that got "free lunch" in grade school.

Nevertheless the question still remains, am I privileged because I am a white male? Sure. But while maleness does no more guarantees your success than being a black female guarantees the lack thereof. Just ask billionaire, Opra. Does being white and male give me an advantage? Maybe in certain circumstances but not in others. Does being 6'3" give me an advantage? Absolutley, I can clean the top of the refrigerator without a stool step. On the other hand, I probably won't live as long as smaller men - ever see a 90-something year old at 6'3"? Never.

Anyway, life is not fair! The sooner people accept that the sooner they will be at peace with themselves.

ETA Figured I start the year off right with a rambling essay that has no real point.

This phrase makes my teeth hurt. I would love to know what privilege I have because I am white. My father was a blue collar worker and my mother was a stay at home mom.......until they got divorced. I paid my own way through college, a small state school but earned a college degree. I worked my share of menial jobs but worked hard at each, determined to learn everything I could along the way, certain that at some point hard work and effort would pay off. I put in 60/70/80 hour weeks, not because it was required, but because I wanted to "get ahead" and do more than was expected of me. And guess what, it paid off.

If "white privilege" is defined as doing small things well, doing more than is expected, working your a$$ off day after day, month after month, year after year, then yes, I am privileged. The current flavor-of-the-month definition is just a racist term, meant to make people who need an excuse for their lot in life feel better.

Edited by hessma 2018-01-04 1:01 PM
2018-01-04 1:11 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Pro

The fact that you don't think you have white privilege means you do.......geez.......try to keep up.

2018-01-04 1:43 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by hessma
Originally posted by Rogillio I was born a white male. I had no say so in the matter. Did I benefit from my whiteness or my masculinity? Perhaps. Athletically I was born in the shallow end of the gene pool. Unlike many athletes who were born on third base, I wasn't even born in the dugout, I was born in the parking lot! I'm the guy at the company picnic that stuck out at slow-pitch softball game! I'm the guy that always got picked last when choosing teams as a kid. I never played any organized sports because I slow and clumsy. Finally found a sport I could participate in, triathloning!! At least in triathlons I did not have to disappoint any teammates. Artistically I robbed! I haven't an ounce of artistic talent in all of my bones. I can't draw so much as a smiley face without a computer. :-) Musically I have less than zero talent. I've tried for months to play the piano, even taking lessons and never got much past chop-stix. But all that doesn't matter because I am white and male! When my kids were little I tried to instill in them that LIFE IS NOT FAIR. We are all different from birth. Some people are born with a 130+ IQ and some are born with an IQ of 70. (I have two kids - one at each of those numbers) Some are born with a natural athletic physique and some are built like a plum. Some are born with musical talent. Some are born with a beautiful singing voice. The church asked me to sing tenor......as in ten or fifteen miles away from the church! T I was not born rich. I have eaten government canned meat and government cheese and was one of the kids that got "free lunch" in grade school. Nevertheless the question still remains, am I privileged because I am a white male? Sure. But while maleness does no more guarantees your success than being a black female guarantees the lack thereof. Just ask billionaire, Opra. Does being white and male give me an advantage? Maybe in certain circumstances but not in others. Does being 6'3" give me an advantage? Absolutley, I can clean the top of the refrigerator without a stool step. On the other hand, I probably won't live as long as smaller men - ever see a 90-something year old at 6'3"? Never. Anyway, life is not fair! The sooner people accept that the sooner they will be at peace with themselves. ETA Figured I start the year off right with a rambling essay that has no real point.
This phrase makes my teeth hurt. I would love to know what privilege I have because I am white. My father was a blue collar worker and my mother was a stay at home mom.......until they got divorced. I paid my own way through college, a small state school but earned a college degree. I worked my share of menial jobs but worked hard at each, determined to learn everything I could along the way, certain that at some point hard work and effort would pay off. I put in 60/70/80 hour weeks, not because it was required, but because I wanted to "get ahead" and do more than was expected of me. And guess what, it paid off. If "white privilege" is defined as doing small things well, doing more than is expected, working your a$$ off day after day, month after month, year after year, then yes, I am privileged. The current flavor-of-the-month definition is just a racist term, meant to make people who need an excuse for their lot in life feel better.

White privilege is just another justification for division.  You're a minority so you can't be as successful as white people.  Vote for me and I'll right the wrong and make you successful through more government...

2018-01-04 3:42 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Perhaps a discussion by a bunch of white guys talking about their lack of privilege could benefit from the perspective of someone who is not white? Just sayin'
2018-01-04 3:52 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy Perhaps a discussion by a bunch of white guys talking about their lack of privilege could benefit from the perspective of someone who is not white? Just sayin'

How is this any different than a person who is non-white saying that white people have privilege?

I feel that minorities have incredible privileges that I do not have.  Easier to get into college, easier to get scholarships, easier to get promoted in many organizations.  I'm not a minority so does that mean I can speak about their privilege and they cannot?

2018-01-04 3:52 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
A friend of mine posted this a while back on his FB page. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K5fbQ1-zps - Gave me a different perspective on the issue.
2018-01-04 4:00 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by mdg2003 A friend of mine posted this a while back on his FB page. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K5fbQ1-zps- Gave me a different perspective on the issue.

There's a lot of problems with that video though.  It basically propagates the racial and ethnic stereotypes that people don't have the same opportunity in America when they actually do.
Here's another perspective on the very same video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rONeWUSeAyg

2018-01-04 7:10 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by mdg2003 A friend of mine posted this a while back on his FB page. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K5fbQ1-zps- Gave me a different perspective on the issue.

There's a lot of problems with that video though.  It basically propagates the racial and ethnic stereotypes that people don't have the same opportunity in America when they actually do.
Here's another perspective on the very same video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rONeWUSeAyg

Yeah, I've seen that one too and was going to post it as well, but saw it was on same page and figured it was accessible enough. I think the video kind of exaggerates the whole issue, but it still highlighted some points I'd not considered. Still, the trick is to get away from negative people and influences that are going to drag you down. Negativity is an equal opportunity destroyer.

2018-01-05 7:19 AM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Perhaps a discussion by a bunch of white guys talking about their lack of privilege could benefit from the perspective of someone who is not white? Just sayin'

sure, I'd welcome it. As long as I can point out special hiring practices in business, favorable admissions policies at colleges and favorable student loans and grants as black privilege.
2018-01-05 7:29 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

sure, I'd welcome it. As long as I can point out special hiring practices in business, favorable admissions policies at colleges and favorable student loans and grants as black privilege.

Fair enough, just pointing out that this is a one-sided conversation. As a white male I have to admit that I have no idea what the headwinds are like for minorities. I have little doubt there are headwinds and, in some cases back winds, but I do not for a single minute feel like I have lived a disadvantaged life.
2018-01-05 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Fair enough, just pointing out that this is a one-sided conversation. As a white male I have to admit that I have no idea what the headwinds are like for minorities. I have little doubt there are headwinds and, in some cases back winds, but I do not for a single minute feel like I have lived a disadvantaged life.

Perhaps you don't feel you have been disadvantaged is because you do not see yourself as a victim. I think a lot of people have bought into the idea that they are a victim of an unfair/oppressive society and that because they are a woman or black or Hispanic that they won't get a fair shake. They see themselves as victims and it tends to be a self-fulfilling prophesy.

The puss-y hat movement had woman out there demanding equal pay...as if they didn't already have that. What they see as pay inequality is a wag gap that is a result of the decision they made. All things being equal companies cannot pay females less than males. Oh it happens sometimes but there is usually a lawsuit and if discrimination is proved, companies lose millions! I think Wal-mart was sued in recent years and lost. But at a matter of law, woman have equal pay. When I was an engineering manager at Boeing we'd allocate raises to our employees based on merit. But before the raises were finalized they went to corporate where they looked to make sure there was no bias against woman and blacks and other minorities. Often times the managers' allocations was trumped by corporate to keep salaries on an even keel. IOW, make sure that white males didn't get all the raise pool - regardless of merit.

You are right thought that we will never know what it is like to be black or to be female or Hispanic or Asian. Likewise Asians, Hispanics, females and blacks have no idea what it is like to be a white male! They THINK they do because they think we are all privileged.

Anyway, as I mentioned in my OP, life is not fair and we are not all equal. Someone is going to cross the finish line first and someone will finish DFL. Part of that is genetics and part of it how hard you train. I think triathlons are a good metaphor for 'white privilege'.

I think the best point made in this thread is that having good parents is probably the biggest factor for determining success in life. My parents always used good grammar. I always felt sorry for the kids who had to "unlearn" how they spoke to learn proper English. "I saw. I have seen. But never I seen." I didn't have to learn this is school, when I learned that when I learned how to speak. I know this is a simple example. But we learn about life from our parents. Our attitudes and work ethic tends to be that of our parents. If your parents were lazy, shiftless bums who did not value education, the chances of you becoming valedictorian in HS are slim to none.

2018-01-05 10:16 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy Perhaps a discussion by a bunch of white guys talking about their lack of privilege could benefit from the perspective of someone who is not white? Just sayin'

I think my passion on this topic is mostly based on the fact that I did start at the back of the line.  I was back there with blacks, whites, hispanics, native americans, and several others.  I was born into a welfare home, my parents divorced when I was five, I was homeless for several years, and would steal ketchup packets from the gas station as my only meal for the day at times.  I was both the victim and witness to all kinds of abuse, I was bullied, mocked, and outcast in school.  I had very few friends.

Everyone I knew, including most of my family would tell me how I couldn't be successful and everyone I was around heard the same things.  The system was rigged, the "man" was always going to take advantage of us, you name it.  What happens when people hear that their entire life?  They believe it and they live up (or down) to the expectation and never even try.

The one difference in my life was my Dad.  He had a lot of flaws, but he loved me as much as any father could ever love a son.  He believed in me and he always told me that I was the smartest person on earth and that I was going to do great things.  I believed him and I did exactly what he always believed I could do.
It wasn't easy and I had a lot of baggage strapped around my neck from my upbringing.  I had to learn to speak better, I had to learn how to shake a hand, I had to learn how to be respectful towards others.  I had to deal with extremely low self esteem and shame and went through years of counseling, but I did not ever believe that I was not going to be successful.  You could take everything away from me today and I guarantee you that I will be successful again in less than 5 years. 

To use a football analogy.  If Scott Frost went into the locker room and told all his UCF players that they were smaller, less capable, and Auburn had advantages in every way and would beat them before the game, how would that effect the players on the field?  However, he didn't tell them that.  He told them that they were just as capable and able to play with them like anybody else, and his team responded and won the game.

In life, when we talk about White Privilege, and people having advantage over one another, what we're really doing is telling the "disadvantaged" person that they are always going to be that way so don't even try.  Every single one of us have disadvantages in life.  Some are pretty, some are ugly (me), some are smart, some are dumb, some are strong, some are weak, etc.  However, we all have the ability to maximize our potential based on our desires and drive.

Our attitude towards life is what determines our success in life.  Not color, not sex, not intelligence, not anything.  Only our attitude.

I spend a lot of my time counseling young men who are in the same situation I was as a child and you will be amazed at how little hope and drive they have.  They have nobody in society that believes in them so they don't even want to try.  My story gives them some hope and when I hear from kids getting into college because somebody finally believed in them it is very emotional.

So, I strongly encourage everyone reading this to stop embracing stereotypes that keep people down and just simply encourage everyone to succeed.  No matter what their background they are not too far gone and can turn it around.  I could tell you some great stories about people I've worked with coming out of prison and it's amazing how powerful a positive attitude can be.

2018-01-05 10:40 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Very inspiration Tony! You should write a book. Maybe call it Underprivileged White Male Changes His Stars.

2018-01-05 10:42 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Rogillio Very inspiration Tony! You should write a book. Maybe call it Underprivileged White Male Changes His Stars.

haha, I've thought about writing a book but remember that part about needing to learn how to speak better.  Yeah, I failed just about every english/writing class I ever took. 

2018-01-05 10:47 AM

User image

Pro

I think my passion on this topic is mostly based on the fact that I did start at the back of the line.  I was back there with blacks, whites, hispanics, native americans, and several others.  I was born into a welfare home, my parents divorced when I was five, I was homeless for several years, and would steal ketchup packets from the gas station as my only meal for the day at times.  I was both the victim and witness to all kinds of abuse, I was bullied, mocked, and outcast in school.  I had very few friends.

Everyone I knew, including most of my family would tell me how I couldn't be successful and everyone I was around heard the same things.  The system was rigged, the "man" was always going to take advantage of us, you name it.  What happens when people hear that their entire life?  They believe it and they live up (or down) to the expectation and never even try.

The one difference in my life was my Dad.  He had a lot of flaws, but he loved me as much as any father could ever love a son.  He believed in me and he always told me that I was the smartest person on earth and that I was going to do great things.  I believed him and I did exactly what he always believed I could do.
It wasn't easy and I had a lot of baggage strapped around my neck from my upbringing.  I had to learn to speak better, I had to learn how to shake a hand, I had to learn how to be respectful towards others.  I had to deal with extremely low self esteem and shame and went through years of counseling, but I did not ever believe that I was not going to be successful.  You could take everything away from me today and I guarantee you that I will be successful again in less than 5 years. 

To use a football analogy.  If Scott Frost went into the locker room and told all his UCF players that they were smaller, less capable, and Auburn had advantages in every way and would beat them before the game, how would that effect the players on the field?  However, he didn't tell them that.  He told them that they were just as capable and able to play with them like anybody else, and his team responded and won the game.

In life, when we talk about White Privilege, and people having advantage over one another, what we're really doing is telling the "disadvantaged" person that they are always going to be that way so don't even try.  Every single one of us have disadvantages in life.  Some are pretty, some are ugly (me), some are smart, some are dumb, some are strong, some are weak, etc.  However, we all have the ability to maximize our potential based on our desires and drive.

Our attitude towards life is what determines our success in life.  Not color, not sex, not intelligence, not anything.  Only our attitude.

I spend a lot of my time counseling young men who are in the same situation I was as a child and you will be amazed at how little hope and drive they have.  They have nobody in society that believes in them so they don't even want to try.  My story gives them some hope and when I hear from kids getting into college because somebody finally believed in them it is very emotional.

So, I strongly encourage everyone reading this to stop embracing stereotypes that keep people down and just simply encourage everyone to succeed.  No matter what their background they are not too far gone and can turn it around.  I could tell you some great stories about people I've worked with coming out of prison and it's amazing how powerful a positive attitude can be.

"You didn't do any of that, someone did that for you"

2018-01-05 11:07 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

"You didn't do any of that, someone did that for you"

lol, i know.  It was because I'm white.  I just sat back and let all the success come to me. 

My middle son got a dose of his white privilege when he was applying for college.  He always had a dream to go to MIT and worked his behind off to get there.  He had several state and regional awards for robotics design, did a lot of amazing things.  Scored a 35 on his ACT and had an amazing application package with lots of great recommendations.  Well MIT only accepts about 1500 students a year and is so big on "diversity" that they accept 50% women and 50% men (even though women are a much smaller percentage of applicants).  That narrows his chance down to 750 slots.  Well then they have to do 50% minority, even though far less than 50% of applicants are minorities.  Now it narrows it down to 375 spots available for the white males.
They get approximately 25k applicants every year and they don't share the demographics, but from what I've read about 80% of those are white males.  that basically makes it impossible for him to have a chance no matter what he did.  It would still be tough to get in if they allowed a more reflective mix based on applicants or the population as a whole, but being a white male is the absolute worse thing you can be when it comes to getting into a prestigious school.

2018-01-05 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Rogillio Very inspiration Tony! You should write a book. Maybe call it Underprivileged White Male Changes His Stars.

haha, I've thought about writing a book but remember that part about needing to learn how to speak better.  Yeah, I failed just about every english/writing class I ever took. 

You write very well here. Or you could hire a ghost writer. Just sit down and have a few beers for lubrication and start telling your life story. Leave it to the writers to make it sellable. And even if it is never makes the best seller list, what a wonderful gift to leave your children and grandchildren.

25+ years ago, my dad came to visit. He was getting up there in age and I wanted to 'capture' all his stories. So I set up a video camera in the corner of the room, poured some coffee and then sort of 'interviewed' him. Not a really an interview just prompted him to talk about his life. I'd say, "Tell us about that horse you said you had as a kid." He start talking about it and maybe go off on a tangent, which was fine. ".....my first horse was a stick horse. I rode that thing all over town. One time I rode it to my grandmother's house and she said, 'Little Mack, did you ride that horse all there way over here?' and I said, 'Yes'm....and I feel just as tired as if I'd walked the whole way!' Funny thing about those stick horses....they'd always rear up whenever you first got on them. They'd buck and dance around till you got them rode back down."

So Dad has been gone for nigh onto 20 years but I have 3+ hours of his stories captured on video to help preserve the memories....

2018-01-08 9:55 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
"While presenting the award for Best Motion Picture, Drama, Streisand said there should be “more women directors and more women to be nominated for best director.”"

Hollywood is guilty of keeping women down! A woman hasn't won a GG director award since 1984. Clearly this shows Hollywood is sexists and is discriminatory because correlation clearly equals causation in the minds of many.

2018-01-08 10:11 AM

User image

Pro

If I were King I would give women Hollywood in exchange for keeping them out of sports broadcasting/commentary.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-01-08 10:12 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » White male privilege Rss Feed