Other Resources My Cup of Joe » REI Adventures Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-04 10:02 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: REI Adventures
Has anyone traveled using REI? I just checking got an email from them and Kilimanjaro is one of their trips. My wife has mentioned climbing this before and I think an organized trip would be best for us. Any and all input appreciated.

2018-01-05 2:51 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Subject: RE: REI Adventures
It looks like it was way back in '09 that Nat. Geographic made a big database & rankings of adventure travel companies. REI scored very well: #7 for do-it-all companies. Unfortunately it looks like NatGeo no longer has the data & detailed info they used for the ratings available online. I've been intrigued by some REI trips, but haven't used them yet.

As for Kili, I've done some research as it is a "some day" trip for me. You have tons of options. Climbing guides run the gamut from smaller, local companies to the worldwide mountain expedition leaders like Alpine Ascents. I remember seeing stats showing the more days people spent on the mountain, the greater the chance for summit success because of the importance of altitude acclimatization.

One thing to consider when choosing a guide is the Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Program (KPAP). It's a non-profit agency that sets guidelines for porter pay, treatment, etc. They currently have a list of 117 companies that comply with the guidelines, and the list can be found here (REI is on the list): https://mountainexplorers.org/climb-with-a-partner-for-responsible-t...

2018-01-06 12:06 PM
in reply to: Boilermaker

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: REI Adventures
Thanks, that link gave me a one stop shopping guide for US based tour operators. Probably a good place for me to choose from!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » REI Adventures Rss Feed