General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathong Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-14 1:51 AM

Subject: First Triathong
Hello!

I will be completing my first tri in March and am looking for help with the little details of what to make sure i have, what to wear and any other helpful hints only people who have done triathlons can help with! Anyone willing to chat? thanks,

2018-01-14 2:42 AM
in reply to: Alaskagrl

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: First Triathong
I would recommend something with a little more padding...
2018-01-14 5:40 AM
in reply to: #5235119

Is this the triathlon version of lingerie league?
2018-01-14 6:58 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Rollergirl

I would recommend something with a little more padding...

From an aero perspective I think this is sub optimal

this is much better
2018-01-14 7:55 AM
in reply to: marcag

ive been entering the wrong races
2018-01-14 8:21 AM
in reply to: bnsafe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by bnsafe

That's Fernanda Keller. She's a triathlon legend.

2018-01-14 8:54 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by bnsafe

That's Fernanda Keller. She's a triathlon legend.

Really? People wear this for triathlons? Talk about sore , doing an IM like that!

Seriously though, welcome to the forum OP, hope you stick around, this site is a mine of info and the peopl very nice
2018-01-14 12:13 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I think people are picking on your thread title...

What do you already have?  

Assuming your first isn't an iron distance race, expect to not have a place to change so you'll swim-bike-run in the same thing and what you choose may depend on distance, weather, comfort, and budget.  

Many people use a tri-suit (1 piece) or tri-shorts and a tri-top.  These are designed to be body-hugging (good for the swim), dry quickly, have a little padding for cycling (specifically designed to not absorb much water, and not too much to affect running), etc.  I haven't shopped around, but you can get shorts for $30-50 and trisuits for $50-80.  I suspect from your username, you'll want a top if you get tri-shorts.  Of course, you can also spend a lot more...

I assume you already have a swimsuit.  If so, I suggest you try riding and running in it.  You can pull on shorts and a top for either if you're too modest to do these in just the swimsuit (and if this is the case, you'll have to jettison some modesty with the tri-suit as well...)  If riding in the swimsuit doesn't cause binding (uncomfortable even under shorts), try running in it.  Does it offer enough support?  If you can swim-bike-run in your swimsuit, you don't *need* to buy anything else.  Try running in a wet swimsuit, because it may be different than running in a dry one.  

Again, without knowing anything more about you, you'll have the same unknowns with a tri-suit that I've laid out for your swimsuit.  Does it offer enough support to run?  Does it bind?  Unfortunately, you won't know either of these until you've bought one that doesn't-quite-work...

You can pull on shorts and a shirt over your swimsuit for warmth or modesty.  Pulling either on while you're wet will be difficult, but you aren't going to lose your livelihood taking 30 seconds.  If your race is likely to be cool (you said March), you may want to dry completely off and put on some wind-resistant top.  There's a big difference between riding in 55F weather and riding WET in 55F weather.  My first race with a tri-suit was 60-65F at the start.  The first half of the ride dried out my tri-suit, the second half was me trying to warm up from the cooling evaporation.  

Best of luck training and racing.  

2018-01-17 3:37 PM

hahahahahaha wow at first i was like ummmmmmmmmmmm who are these people but then realized my spelling error.

2018-01-22 1:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elkins Park, Pennsylvania
Hilarious!! Seriously though, I have attached a checklist for race day that I have used previously. Even though this is a race day checklist, all of these items should be incorporated into your training prior to your actual race. I was not asked, so I won't mention which brands I like best, with the proper research you should be able to find quality gear for reasonable prices.

Feel free to message me if you want additional information.

Edited by toastygloveman 2018-01-22 2:01 PM

Attachments
----------------
Triathlon Checklist.doc (28KB - 17 downloads)
2018-01-23 10:09 AM

You can spend a fortune on stuff....or not. And it may or may not make your day better. If you keep picking folks' brains and reading stuff over the next several weeks, you'll figure out what you need and what you don't.

The only thing I offer....because it was the first thing I bought (outside of good running shoes) and dollar-for-dollar was my absolute best value purchase. I got a race belt on clearance for like $3 at a running store sidewalk sale.

Not having to deal with safety pins is worth it.

2018-01-23 2:42 PM

User image

Haymarket, VA

You can go absolutely crazy spending money on this sport.  My suggestion since this is your first, is to go minimalist and not spend a lot of money.  That is of course assuming you haven't already been bitten by the bug and opened your bank account to the triathlon gods.  You can just throw biking shorts, and running shorts on over your swimsuit for those portions of the race.  So just your swimsuit/googles/cap for the swim, bike shorts/top for the bike, and run shorts/top for the run.  Of course this is assuming that your swimsuit provides you sufficient support for your boobs during a run.  If it doesn't, I'm sure you know the trick that my wife still amazes me with of putting on/taking off a bra underneath a t-shirt.  If you don't like the sound of that a simple tri suit is a minimal investment and will cover you for all three stages without having to change.

Just enjoy your first race and have fun.  If you become addicted, then you can go nuts buying every bit of equipment/clothing/accessory you can imagine to help you with the sport.  I can't begin to tell you how much money I've spent on stuff that hopefully improves my raceday.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathong Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help with training for first duathlon (Michigan Titanium)

Started by cbr shadow
Views: 676 Posts: 2

2017-03-08 1:09 PM cbr shadow

The swim in your first triathlon (sprint)

Started by drew_ab
Views: 4309 Posts: 8

2017-03-06 1:26 PM mcmanusclan5

Swimming - Why is my first 100 faster than my others

Started by cdoug55
Views: 1432 Posts: 13

2017-02-19 8:04 PM simpsonbo

Training on a first level entry bike

Started by Greedo100
Views: 713 Posts: 3

2017-02-08 8:10 PM Greedo100

First Ironman 70.3 - Blogging the journey