Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » New notification system Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-16 7:02 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: New notification system

The new notification system looks nice but I'm finding it more difficult to see if you have new inspires or private messages. For example right now it says zero for me but I have one inspire waiting.

(Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 8.01.32 AM.png)

(Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 8.01.50 AM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 8.01.32 AM.png (5KB - 15 downloads)
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 8.01.50 AM.png (7KB - 14 downloads)

2018-01-16 7:05 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: New notification system
Thanks for the feedback! I'll see what I can do. Most people don't like the running total of new articles to be really prominent, so I'm thinking the little number up there should be Inbox messages + inspires? But what about people who have 100 inspires they haven't acknowledged ... then they would have that notification up there all the time...

Suggestions are welcome. We could make a new icon for inspires and have a separate thing for that.
2018-01-16 7:36 AM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Yes. Mine is the same way. It says 0 but I have an inspire. What makes this envelope read "1"?  It should be driven by messages and inspires, because the articles are not "messages" and wouldn't qualify for an "envelope".

So maybe make the number there driven by messages and insipres. For example. If I have 3 new inspires and one message, it says 4. I can still see the drop down box and know that there are new articles as well if I'm interested,  but ease of communication between members is key here if we're going to survive as a platform.

2018-01-16 7:42 AM
in reply to: Whizzzzz

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Whizzzzz

Yes. Mine is the same way. It says 0 but I have an inspire. What makes this envelope read "1"?  It should be driven by messages and inspires, because the articles are not "messages" and wouldn't qualify for an "envelope".

So maybe make the number there driven by messages and insipres. For example. If I have 3 new inspires and one message, it says 4. I can still see the drop down box and know that there are new articles as well if I'm interested,  but ease of communication between members is key here if we're going to survive as a platform.

Agreed - total = messages+inspires.

Thanks!

2018-01-18 9:24 AM
in reply to: Whizzzzz

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Originally posted by Whizzzzz

x3

2018-01-20 6:33 PM
in reply to: StartingToTri

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Is this better now? We implemented the suggestion. You won't see Inspires in the list unless you have a new one.

2018-01-30 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alicefoeller Is this better now? We implemented the suggestion. You won't see Inspires in the list unless you have a new one.

It's better but the numbers are still not updating very well. The new design may look better but it is also less user-friendly. Now we have to click the envelope and then select from the drop down. Before we could just click the number. OTOH, the new article notifications are better.

2018-01-30 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
So if the number next to the envelope were clickable, would that solve the problem?
But what would it lead to when you click it? Inspires or Messages? I think that's why it has to be this way.

The original problem I was trying to solve is that people email support constantly asking about simple settings (profile settings, day of the week start for training log, metric vs standard units, etc.) People did not intuitively understand that underneath their username was all of the settings. So I wanted to create the gear/cog so people would understand that their settings were up there. But messages are not the same as settings, so I wanted to break those out into a separate item.

Do you see a way to accomplish my goal while having the notifications/alerts act more like they used to?
2018-01-30 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alicefoeller So if the number next to the envelope were clickable, would that solve the problem? But what would it lead to when you click it? Inspires or Messages? I think that's why it has to be this way. The original problem I was trying to solve is that people email support constantly asking about simple settings (profile settings, day of the week start for training log, metric vs standard units, etc.) People did not intuitively understand that underneath their username was all of the settings. So I wanted to create the gear/cog so people would understand that their settings were up there. But messages are not the same as settings, so I wanted to break those out into a separate item. Do you see a way to accomplish my goal while having the notifications/alerts act more like they used to?

Maybe an envelope for private messages and something else for inspires along the red bar?

2018-01-31 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by alicefoeller So if the number next to the envelope were clickable, would that solve the problem? But what would it lead to when you click it? Inspires or Messages? I think that's why it has to be this way. The original problem I was trying to solve is that people email support constantly asking about simple settings (profile settings, day of the week start for training log, metric vs standard units, etc.) People did not intuitively understand that underneath their username was all of the settings. So I wanted to create the gear/cog so people would understand that their settings were up there. But messages are not the same as settings, so I wanted to break those out into a separate item. Do you see a way to accomplish my goal while having the notifications/alerts act more like they used to?

Maybe an envelope for private messages and something else for inspires along the red bar?

Yea, I'd like to have inspires broken out into their own item on the red bar -- I think they are so central to BT that they deserve a spot of their own. You could use a heart <3 emoticon. 

2018-02-03 2:53 PM
in reply to: StartingToTri

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Or that stretching hooray icon that is on the friends page.... 

New Thread
Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » New notification system Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Can't add or edit workouts on New MacBook Pro

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 896 Posts: 4

2017-10-07 8:35 AM alicefoeller

Unable to creat new therad in Mentor area

Started by jmkizer
Views: 739 Posts: 6

2017-08-10 9:38 AM jmkizer