General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain in the glutes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-21 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: Pain in the glutes
Two months ago I started developing pain in the glutes. I thought it was from playing pickleball, since that involved many short starts and stops that my body was not used to. I decided to stop playing pickleball, and running in general, until the pain went away. My glutes hurt when swimming, so I started using a pull-buoy The pain never subsided.

After a month and a half I made an adjustment to the seat height on my wind trainer. Within a few days, my girlfriend got on her wind trainer for the first time in ages. She sat up to take a drink of water and noticed a discomfort in her glutes.She had observed I ride my wind trainer upright with hands at my side and made the connection my riding position may be the root cause,

I then changed my position to hands on the hoods and started stretching after workouts. Over the course of a week, my glutes have started feeling better. I'm giving them another week to return to normal before returning to the pickleball court.

I hope others find this helpful in avoiding overuse injuries.

2018-02-03 9:44 AM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Pain in the glutes
It's actually taken two more weeks to become completely pain free, and that was with even less wind trainer time. Yesterday I was able to swim without a pull buoy and kick for 20 minutes.

Listen to your body when new pains develop. It could mean improper fitting or technique.
2018-04-16 6:38 PM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

User image

Sarasota, Florida
Subject: RE: Pain in the glutes
Another thing that will help with pain in the glutes is to take a tennis ball and lie down on the floor. Lie on the ball, putting it along the line of your pelvis and down the length of your sacrum. Don't press on the bone, just be right next to the bone. Doing this will treat the spasms that are at the very origination of the glute muscles.

Then, move your body so the ball rolls down toward the insertion point which is on the top of your thigh bone (called the "greater trochanter"). Move about so the ball rolls along the entire top of the ball joint. You'll be treating your glutes and your lateral rotators (including the piriformis, which is the muscle that presses into your sciatic nerve).

You can see a picture of this by going to my Instagram page (@JulstroMethod). There's a lot more to this problem, but time/space doesn't allow me to explain all of it. You can get more info by going to my websites.

Wishing you well,
Julie Donnelly

YOU are your own Best Therapist! Visit www.FlexibleAthlete.com and www.JulstroMethod.com to discover logical solutions to chronic pain and sports injuries.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pain in the glutes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

outside leg, above ankle pain

Started by MuscleMomma
Views: 1084 Posts: 5

2017-05-31 11:59 AM MuscleMomma

Slight Knee Pain

Started by larie2
Views: 839 Posts: 3

2017-03-30 11:33 PM kloofyroland

tailbone pain