Applied Race Management
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 34m 32s
Overall Rank = 217/294
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 16/26
Pre-race routine:

PBJ foldover (half a sammich) at home before we left. Got to the race about an hour early since EFP needed to run a mile as a warm-up plus I wanted to ensure a good parking spot. Picked up our bibs and he switched to the 'Idiot Option', the 10K.
Event warmup:

One lap of the track, dynamic and static stretching.
Run
  • 34m 32s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 55s  min/km
Comments:

I hadn't run since 12/31/2017 because of having a nasty respiratory illness, so I knew today would be take it as it comes, walk if necessary, go easy. I started out near the back with some friends.

Started out very easy but let myself build as I warmed up and felt OK to do so. I ended up negative splitting my miles without trying, lol! I also ran the whole way which surprised me, even the little hills. I thought for sure I'd need a walk break.

Comic relief, in a way: as usual, as I was headed up the hill by the cemetery near the 1 mile mark, the 5K race leader had already finished the circle of the lollipop and was headed back. When I finally got to the same area on my return, I saw the leader of the 10K! It really struck me funny, seeing both race leaders at the same spot.

I was able to see EFP and give him a hi five as I finished the out and back and he was heading out for lap 2 (he was doing the 10K, remember). I thought I was going to hack up a lung in the final .5 miles or so, but I pressed on and my lungs stayed where they are supposed to, thankfully. ;)

I also got pretty hot in the last half of the race but I had dressed slightly warmer than I would've had I been 100% well. I was anticipating more walking and less running. Ooops, in a good way!

They changed the course a little from the last time I did the race, I am not a fan of the out-and-back stretch near the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Not have a respiratory illness for 3 weeks before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit after I turned in my chip, then went to the car to change, then watch friends and EFP cross the line. Chatted with friends some more, then got my yummy chicken corn noodle soup and waited through door prizes and awards.

No prizes or awards for me or EFP, but I did end up with a prize of someone else's. A lady I know needed to leave before awards were done and she said, "If I win, you can have my hat". Sure enough, she was first in the 70-74 age group so I claimed her hat! It's a SweatVac winter hat, I'll be curious to see how it handles my degree of sweating!

Nice new perk: a local brewery (Funk Brewing) was offering 'drink specials' aka free beer if you stop by with your race bib. We did, which was actually the first time we'd ever been there. We each had our free beer, then I had another and EFP had 2 more. We'll stop there again! I really enjoyed mine, a cask beer of Belgian style.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sick for 3 weeks prior to the race and not running.

Event comments:

I've long been a fan of this race because it's local, well run, and they have soup at the end! I run for soup!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2017-12-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:32 | 05 kms | 06m 55s  min/km
Age Group: 16/26
Overall: 217/294
Performance: Average
Course: Lollipop of sorts, then an annoying (to me) out and back
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: