Also FTR I’m not defending rioting. It’s stupid plain and simple

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2018-02-05 1:40 PM

2018-02-05 1:50 PM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: RE: Eagles fans
Just one quick search shows this isn't specific to Philly and/or worse (or better) just some kind of bad social phenomena. Yeah I know Denver is a nice place and Pittsburgh good hard working people and yes Dallas is probably the worst :-) but there's that group that just looks for these things when there's little or no chance for police intervention. Many other examples like Vancouver losing the Stanley Cup in '11, Tigers in '84 (that was really bad if my memory is correct), any Bulls or Pistons championship back in the day, LA in 2000 I think and on and on. And yes there is a small percentage of folks who "thrive" on the Philly bad boy persona which was Goggles first point to stop sensationalizing it. Oh well, I'm confident the city will continue to thrive and move on (and not burn down!) whether the rest of the country wants to believe it or not.

And final thought is I've been to a few big Big 10 and SEC rivalry games and you DO NOT want to be on the wrong side there. Reminds me of the woman (name escapes me) who reported on Jim Tressel (sp?) and the football program at The OSU and proceeded to get non-stop death threats for reporting the truth. Trying to ruin a persons life or idiots hurting themselves. I'd vote for letting idiots hurt themselves every time.

http://www.craveonline.com/mandatory/1064692-the-10-drunkest-super-...
2018-02-05 2:16 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Goggles you found some incidents dating back to 1979. I never said it doesn't happen. I'm just saying you can't turn Philly into the norm no matter how much you want to.
In my opinion, if the Eagles won the Super Bowl 6 times in a row, you've got 6 riots in that city. NO, I can't prove that. It is just my opinion. This has turned into a stupid thread. I'm not trying to keep poking you. It just seems like you want to take a group of people who want to be regarded as bad or whatever, and say they are just like any other fans, when they themselves don't pretend to be like other fans......dude, in the end it's not my town.

There is a saying that you can only expect what you accept. I don't know about the people, but for sure the police accept the bad behavior. Too bad for the people of Philly who own businesses and can't feel like they are protected after a big win or big loss.
2018-02-05 2:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Um documented rioting, looting and other behavior in '98, '99, '03, '04, '06, '09, '12, '13, '14 and these are just what they've considered the 10 worst of all-time not all of them. I'd note that Philly is not included in this for either of the years they lost '81 and '05. Sadly it is the norm much more than folks like to think it just doesn't become the big national story and slips from everyone's mind quickly. And equally sad Philly wasn't able to stay out of the abyss as I was hoping it would be a chance to shine but just shows and it shouldn't be surprising people are just people and basically the same everywhere.

Oh and meant to add as funny as it sounds not much the police can do with that many people out on the streets as it would just create chaos.

Edited by colesdad 2018-02-05 2:36 PM
2018-02-06 10:24 AM

User image

Please point out where I have once said it is the norm or it happens in all cities. My point all along and I’ll quote it for you , “the story that Philadelphia fans are the worst because of throwing snowballs and all that none sense is tired and old. Every time a Philadelphia team makes the playoffs in a sport it comes up and is an easy story. Then everything negative that happens is what leads on the news. Maybe if people stop making it THE STORY the last of the few idiots would stop.” The only thing you got right in your last post was “a group of people”. It was groups of people doing dumb stuff who bring this negative reaction to the city of Philadelphia. Those people deserve to be labeled idiots if not down right criminals. So stop labeling an entire city and fan base because of them. If you are labeling the entire fan base due to these groups then do some work and figure out who are from NJ , who are from out of state and go to school here. I don’t see you condemning the riot in Boston after the game. I guess you’ll just ignore that like you did with the other examples. I guarantee you this. If the Patriots won and kids at Temple went out and rioted, it would be all over the National news.
2018-02-06 12:32 PM

I never labeled the entire city as bad fans. Go back to original post. Throughout the thread I used words like groups, etc. However, I stand by the statement that this only happens because people let it. OK, so who are the "people" who let it? City administrators or City Commissioners, Police Commissioners, etc. When it comes to expected fan behavior, the bar in Philly is pretty low. Really low. If I gave the impression to label the entire fan base as bad, then I am sorry for that. That would be unfair.

The good fans, and everyone else in Philly who is not an idiot should be shouting louder than anyone about unruly behavior. In my original post, I said this can only happen (the behavior and the apparent freedom to be an idiot) after decades of tolerance.
I stand by that. In the area of the country where I come from, you yell an obscenity at a fan walking by, or flip them off, you are kicked out of the tailgating area. If you throw an unopened can of beer at them, you're going to jail. If you are obviously drunk, that is a "drunk and disorderly" and off to jail.

In the end, it is just about respect for people. If I was at a Packers game and some buffoon wearing a Packers jersey was screaming at an Eagles fan, I would be embarrassed and tell him to back off.

Now Goggles, I will give you this. I am confident from your posts, that you would do the same. That is a compliment to you So, let's have a good day, and if I ever see an Eagles fan wearing a "Goggles" jersey, I'll buy you a cold one!

2018-02-06 12:49 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Originally posted by mdg2003
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano Google Packers fan fight. First hit Packers fan getting pummeled in Dallas.
Are you implying that Dallas fans are the worst in the nation then?
IDK how I missed this one. Pretty sure the debate here aside , do I even have to answer ? Most definitely YES !!! Only real question is just this nation or in the world ?
2018-02-06 1:17 PM

User image

After your first post you have multiple times questioned “if the majority are good natured” or “Eagles fans” as a whole. If that wasn’t your intention no harm. But what is harmful is the national media and everyone’s quick nature to not only set the bar low here but to promote it. As for accountability, there was an estimated 100k plus people out celebrating Sunday night. The police despite their best effort can not be every where and effectively control a crowd that size. What you don’t get to see after the media got their shots sunday is the police chief , mayor , locals all calling out the bad behaviour. The police chief went on record they are going through as much security video as they can to track down and prosecute these idiots. Up until probably the early 90s you wouldn’t see anyone put up much of an arguement about what’s said around here. Now more and more people would be quick to tell someone spouting off to STFU. I knew you would ignore the riot in Boston post game ! I be happy to toss a cold one or three back with you ! Then I could explain why Cowboys fans are the worst on Earth. (Sorry Dallas fans , mdg brought it up )
2018-02-09 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
And the parade was completely awesome (well accept for the incredible lack of bathrooms on the east side of Broad St - Kids don't play in the river!) and the crowd and its behavior was just tremendous.
2018-02-09 4:20 PM
in reply to: colesdad

User image

Glad you had fun. It looked amazing and everyone I have spoken with said it was spectacular. I almost got caught upIn the excitement and went down. After I saw the size of those crowds I was happy I decided to watch in TV.
2018-02-12 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Big crowds yes but I drove in without any issues whatsoever and frankly made it in record time both coming and going. Just a mile walk down South St. and boom a parade. Glad I did it but won't go next year :-)

2018-02-12 12:56 PM
in reply to: colesdad

User image

Pennsylvania

Eagles fans are most definitely still riding the high of the win.  Last night I was at a Celebrating Bowie concert at the Keswick Theatre and not once but twice the 'E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!' chant was interjected into the performance by the crowd in between songs.

2018-02-13 1:40 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Keswick, that’s my neck of the woods. There’s a good bike shop a block away from the theater.
2018-02-14 2:02 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano Keswick, that’s my neck of the woods. There’s a good bike shop a block away from the theater.
Yes!  I saw it and wished it would've been open, it did look neat.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Eagles fans Rss Feed  

of 2