General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to ignore others? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-30 5:49 AM

User image

New user
Lesmurdie, Perth
Subject: How to ignore others?
Hey

Something about me is that I suffered from an eating disorder for 13years of my life but the sport of Triathlon is actually what got me out of the midst of the illness and to finally become healthy again. I love training for Triathons, I look forward to every session and I am now healthy and fit enough to do my 1st triathlon in April. My training is getting progressively more each week, and I have a fantastic Sport Dietician making sure I support these increase with nutrition, but I am sick of other, who may be jealous of not being able to train for tri's or just simply don't understand the time needed to be put into triathlon training, always saying be careful. I just wanted some help on how to not let other people's comment be taken to heart? any advice? I also do have a other things in my life, I am a Sport Science student, I have Friends and a close family, and I tutor Math for Primary and Secondary school kids

2018-01-30 7:11 AM
in reply to: Oggi

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: RE: How to ignore others?
In most cases this is said as most folks awareness of triathlons is Kona on TV which can resemble a death march for some of the better stories so I'm guessing they assume you must be taking on something that most folks would find extreme. Assuming you're doing something shorter than a Full IM you could reassure them you are doing a race well within your abilities or over time I've just noted their concern and don't get into the whole "it's just a sprint or Olympic" thing since they are all just a different sort of difficult. Long way of saying they are in some way trying to show they care so take it for that.
2018-01-30 7:24 AM

User image

Elite

You smile, say 'thank you for your concern,' and keep training.

2018-01-30 8:12 AM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by ingleshteechur

You smile, say 'thank you for your concern,' and keep training.

^^ This!

People who don't understand what you're doing/going through and who only see the broadcasts of stuff like Kona will automatically jump to worst case scenario worry.  It's touching that they have that concern for you, so let them know that it's appreciated.   One of the things I like to do (not that a sprint triathlon for someone who has never done one is a cake walk) is ask people who have that reaction is ask them "can you swim?  could you bike for around 12-15 miles?  can you complete a 5K?"  If and when they answer yes to these questions I tell them "congratulations, you can do a sprint triathlon, and I'm happy to do one with you."  That tactic has actually gotten several family members and friends into this addiction.  My mother in law now does our local min-sprint mother's day triathlon along with my wife, and I am their sherpa and cheer squad.

2018-01-30 9:10 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Look within yourself.  

Do you *need* their input?  

If you think you do, then it will be hard to ignore what they're saying.  

If you don't, then you obviously are free to disregard what they're saying in whatever manner you choose.  What you choose will depend on how they otherwise are involved in your life.  For some of them, you can ignore them by no longer allowing them in your life.  For some, they'll be part of your life and you can either passively ignore them or actively train them about what comments you'll tolerate (or not).  

2018-01-30 4:03 PM
in reply to: #5236568

Triathlons are appealing to me because you can ignore others. No team sports, bunch rides etc. Just yourself and the pool/road.

2018-01-30 6:19 PM
in reply to: #5236650

User image

New user
Lesmurdie, Perth
Thankyou all for a tour great support much appreciated and I’ve come to the conclusion that o don’t need this particular person in my life
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to ignore others? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Zwift and others?

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 1364 Posts: 6

2017-10-29 9:36 PM pschriver

Swimming - Why is my first 100 faster than my others

Started by cdoug55
Views: 1432 Posts: 13

2017-02-19 8:04 PM simpsonbo