General Discussion Triathlon Talk » couple quest about HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-02-03 8:05 AM

Subject: couple quest about HIM
just had a couple questions about ironman branded HIMs. 1. how many athletes do they allow to race? im just trying to wrap my mind around how many other bikes will be there and slightly around what the 45-49 male age group water start will be like so i can prepare mentally. 2. has anyone paid the extra money for the spectator mvp pk?. my wife wants the cheaper one. trying to figure out if it would really be better for her rather than fighting a crowd. again i have no idea what a crowd would be at one of these events.

2018-02-03 9:07 AM
in reply to: bnsafe

Subject: RE: couple quest about HIM
Don't know about other HIMs but can speak only for my experience at the Coeur d'Alene 70.3 as both an athlete and a volunteer. Seems like athlete count is 2000ish, which sounds like a lot but if you are somewhere between the middle and the back of the pack you shouldn't see crowding on the bike course. The riders get pretty spread out.

In 15 years of seeing spectators at half and full Ironmans in Cd'A, I have never fully understood the need for VIP spectator access, inasmuch as anyone that wants can adequately see swim start to finish line. Your experience may vary in a densely urban area. Yes, the VIP area has places to relax and maybe grab a refreshment amidst the excitement and crowds but you can generally also do that at parks, restaurants and coffee shops along the run route. Your experience may vary depending on the location of the race. Which race are you doing?
2018-02-03 10:35 AM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

augusta. i was watching you tube videos and didnt seem to crowded. so maybe not worth the money. and im positive almost all the bikes will be long gone by the time i get there, lol
2018-02-03 5:13 PM
in reply to: #5236993

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Augusta has about 3500 competitors. Swim start is off a dock in waves (my age wave, W 45-49, is always broken into 2 groups of 80ish people. Swim is not chaotic imo.

The bike course is crowded. Period. It is almost impossible to have the required distance between bikes to prevent drafting. The bike course is supposed to change to a new course this year, so I don't know how that will impact how crowded it is.

The run is flat, flat, flat (seriously, like 10 feet of elevation), very well supported & the crowd is amazing.
2018-02-03 5:19 PM
in reply to: #5237021

User image

Augusta changes the wave times every year. Generally, the 'youngsters' go last. Men my age (45-49) went off about 40 minutes before me last year, & my wave started around 8:40 am.

There is a church at the swim start that is open on race morning. They have water, coffee, juice & some snacks as well as real bathrooms. It's a great place to be before swim start. It is 1.2 miles away from transition.

I don't know anyone who has done the VIP access, so I don't know if it's worth it. If you can get a room at the host hotel, it is on the run course & 1 block from the finisher's chute.
2018-02-03 6:26 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

thanks again, we did a airbnb about a mile from the start. my wife really wants the vip pkg so will prob do it rather i would consider it useless or not. i want her to enjoy it.
3500, really, wow
so that raises this question. they say they have gels at each station. is there gonna be enough for those of us bringing up the rear, or should i plan on carrying my own

2018-02-03 7:05 PM

I've never seen them run out of GU or whatever gel they giving out. But it's not that hard to carry some GUs on your bike or even tucked into a number belt that has gel loops just in case.
2018-02-04 5:05 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'd carry my own gels and use the stations if you run out or drop something. They may not run out (I've done local races that have, but usually not IM brand ones), but they may be out of the flavors you like, and that can start to matter on the run sometimes, at least for me. I just can't stomach some brands/flavors and don't need to be gagging on gu in the last hour of a race!

Personally I wouldn't bother with the VIP package unless there were elderly or disabled along, or maybe for a world championship where sometimes finish line access is restricted and they might want to watch the pro finish long before me. Maybe would rethink that for one of the really big events. I've done IM brand events in Vietnam, Coeur de Alene, and Calgary, plus two world 70.3 championships, one in Australia and one in the US. The one in Australia was the only one where I might have considered a VIP pass for Mom, but she was unable to come anyway. CDA is pretty big, but spectator friendly. Would recommend staying as close to start and finish as possible--it may add to cost but really much more convenient for spectating family or friends--they can go back to the hotel to cool off, eat, etc, if needed while you race; easy for you to access the start, nice when you are tired to have shower and bed nearby. If I am doing an iron-distance race by myself, I always stay as close by as I can possibly afford.
2018-02-04 10:06 AM
in reply to: #5237022

User image

I’m registered for Augusta as well. Is Gatorade endurance and Clif gels what most IRONMAN events have on course? If so, I’m going to go ahead and stock up and start getting my stomache used to it.
2018-02-04 10:09 AM
in reply to: Parkland

Originally posted by Parkland

I’m registered for Augusta as well. Is Gatorade endurance and Clif gels what most IRONMAN events have on course? If so, I’m going to go ahead and stock up and start getting my stomache used to it.
They vary according to who is the current sponsor, I believe.
2018-02-04 10:14 AM
in reply to: 0

Ripping open gels is a pain in the rear when on the bike, so I did this: I figured out what my hourly consumption of gels should be, dumped that many gel packets X hours on the bike into a water bottle, added water to knock down the thickness and make it drinkable, marked off an hourly "dose" with a magic marker and slugged down my gels during the bike. No messing with tearing open sticky gel packets or having fumble with water to wash thick gel down the hatch. Worked for me...your experience may vary.

BTW, you can do the same with a running belt that will hold small gel bottles for the run section if you want.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2018-02-04 10:17 AM

2018-02-04 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
I've done 10 HIM in Kansas, Racine and Boulder.

Usually events max out around 2500 entries, but some sell out and some only fill half the spots.

Most 70.3's are wave start by age group, and if the age group is large enough the split them up. Usually at 100+ they split them up. They space out by 5 minutes or less between waves. Crowded bike courses also depend on if the course is multi-loop. Even if you are in the early waves, you are out there with everyone by the second loop.

VIP for fulls might be worth the investment, but any HIM I have raced or been to, crowds are not an issue. They are not as much a production as the fulls. In my opinion the VIP would be a waste.
2018-02-04 12:50 PM
in reply to: Parkland

User image

I used Ucan last year, so I didn't utilize any of provided fuels on the course. I do, however, recall seeing a LOT of Clif Bloks in big aluminum pans. I grabbed a few near the end of the course when I just needed something to get me through the end. Some of the aid stations also had pretzels and potato chips.

There was also far more ice available on the run course this year compared to last year. It was the 2nd year in a row of hot and humid temperatures (also the 2nd year in a row it was not wetsuit legal).
2018-02-04 1:33 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

Clif Blocs are the bomb. Kind a softer, less chewy gummy bear loaded with carbs. Easy to grab and eat while running.
2018-02-04 2:33 PM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

i grabbed some pretzels on my marathon, that was a bad mistake. mouth was to dry. nasty.
2018-02-04 4:44 PM
in reply to: #5236993

User image

I think I used the Clif blocks during my first marathon. I enjoyed actually feeling like I was eating something compared to just squirting a gel in.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » couple quest about HIM Rss Feed