General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First timer! I need to rent a bike. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-02-05 6:35 PM

Subject: First timer! I need to rent a bike.
Anyone know what would be the best way to go about this? I'm signed up for the June Lake Olympic Tri in July this year.

I need to rent a bike! Any help?

2018-02-06 9:19 AM
in reply to: BrocNessMonster

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: First timer! I need to rent a bike.

What are you using for training?  

If you're riding a bike for training, you should be able to ride it for the race.  No, a mountain bike won't be as fast as a road/tri bike, but you're still going to set a record for yourself.  I've seen people ride mountain bikes for Half-Ironman races.  Plus, if you've not ridden a road bike, it's much different than a mountain bike and do you really want to experience all of the learning during the race?   (That road bike you rent will use different muscles, like neck muscles, than a more upright bike.)  

You can do a few things to make what you ride faster.  First would be narrower/smoother tires with higher pressure.  

The athlete's guide for each race usually specifies the bike must pass a safety inspection (plugged bar ends is the biggest thing they check) but actual inspection is usually pretty casual.  

2018-02-06 9:33 AM
in reply to: BrocNessMonster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

go to a bike shop and say you want to ride a bike, test ride a few.  Then rent one you liked.  Maybe think about buying one from them after that

2018-02-06 11:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by BrocNessMonster Anyone know what would be the best way to go about this? I'm signed up for the June Lake Olympic Tri in July this year. I need to rent a bike! Any help?

The first two Multisport races I did I was able to find friends with bikes that I could borrow on race day.  those were space 8 years apart and were in different parts of the country and I did zero bike training for either of those events.  Eight years after the 2nd event I again found myself wanting to do a Multisport event and I was in a different state from either of the first two races and didn't have any friends with bikes I could borrow. 

I started by going tot eh event website.  They had an official bike shop for the race.  That shop would be at the race Expo the day before the race and would provide all the bike support on the race course.  Their website had a rental department so I contacted them.  They had bikes available the date of the race and recommended that I come in for then to fit me a bike and to make the reservation.  That might have worked but I lived 10 minutes from the starting line of the race and the bike shop was over an hour away.  I would have had to take time off work to make the 2+ hour round trip to the bike shop the day before the event and then I would have had to make a 2+ hour trip to return the bike after the race.  I asked if they would bring the bike to the expo and allow me to pick up and check in there but their rental department was separate from the department working the race so their policy wouldn't allow that. 

So...I figured that unless I couldn't find a used bike for under $300 I wouldn't do the rental.  I watch the classifieds and found a 16 year old Aluminum frame Tribike in my frame size for $280.  That worked out a lot better for me because I got the bike 3-1/2 months before the race and was able to train on it leading up to the race rather than just getting something I could used on race day.

If you want to do the rental then check with the race and see what bike stores will be involved with the race and contact them to ask about bike rentals. If that doesn't work check into bike shops close to you and see what rental options they have.  

I personally would start with friends and family and see if anyone has a loner.  I also would watch the classifieds in your area. You never know, you might get lucky like I did and find a vintage bike in good condition that still has plenty miles and speed in it. 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2018-02-06 11:21 AM
2018-02-06 11:32 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Did my first sprint tri on my mountain bike. I have taken off the knobby tires and put more of a road tread tire on. Have since bought a road bike. Every time I do a sprint there are plenty of people on MTBs.

There was at least one guy on a MTB when I raced Ironman 70.3 in Coeur d'Alene 2016.
2018-02-06 11:14 PM
in reply to: #5237210

If the issue is money and you're near a metropolitan area, check Craigslist. People sell decent bikes cheap.

2018-02-07 1:14 PM
in reply to: 0

As others have mentioned, you can use any bike, like a mountain bike, cruiser, etc. People will be on them too so you won't be the only one.

Other options - borrow a bike from a friend, buy a used bike from craigslist/local bike shop (I just picked up a nice road bike for $200 at mine), or even get a new bike from bikesdirect or another internet site for like $200-$300 shipped to you. You do have a lot of options.

I was stressed a few months back to get a bike as well. I had an old road bike that was about 10cm too small. Finally went to the LBS and lo and behold they had about 20 used bikes that were my exact size in all sorts of price ranges. I got one that was exactly what I wanted.

Edited by toomanyhobbies 2018-02-07 1:17 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First timer! I need to rent a bike. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First tri season done, training for a marathon, need guidance

Started by Dill-Ag13
Views: 902 Posts: 11

2017-11-09 1:36 PM Dill-Ag13

Advice for first Ironman needed.

Started by Musars
Views: 1697 Posts: 11

2017-12-12 12:17 AM Baowolf

Need to choose first full IM

Started by RytBehindU
Views: 881 Posts: 4