BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Clydesdales/Athenas Tri-N 4 Weightloss Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2018-06-25 1:11 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

Subject: RE: Clydesdales/Athenas Tri-N 4 Weightloss Group - OPEN
Here is my bio

Name:
It is German, so for the most part I go by AJ or Ella. AJ started way back when I was in elementary school and stuck. My parents never liked the nick name, though I did. So whenever I would hear my actual name it was an indication that I was in some kind of trouble or something. Hence never liking my actual name much. Ella did not come around until I was in college and someone in my class could not remember AJ and decided to call me Ella. I will be 29 in a month.

Story:
Background is in cycling. Used to do it competitively, could not find a local cycling coach that did not cost an arm and leg, so i went to the local sports shop and met the owner -- Matt, who just happened to be a triathlon coach. Figured I would give it a try, thought it would be a good challenge -- as the agreement I had with my mother was that she would not approve of me "hiring a coach" until I could bike 100k /62 mi. I did it, came up with my own training plans and everything (including nutrition). It was a lot of fun until I was forced to make the decision of athletics or school. I was "guided" to choose school.

Fast forward 10 years, in hind sight, choosing school over competitive sports (cycling and triathlons) may have been a mistake. Maybe, still trying to figure that one out. In the later years, had a slew of bad relationships, never finished school. Gained about 125ish pounds too. Got out of those relationships, and was in school, studying Criminology -- I wanted to work as police officer (life long dream). Used to be 265, then 250. Over the summer months (when there was no school), I moved a huge distance (2100 miles) & got married.

Family Status:
I have a wonderful hubby, who is extremely supportive of me wanting to lose the extra weight. Even goes out with me while I work out (we do it together & talk). We also have a wonderful cat - who we call our "Fur Baby" as we can't have children. Been married 3 years now and have a 8 year old cat (she was my birthday present -- decided to rescue a 5 year old cat).

Current Training:
Right now the plan is to get back running. Created my own schedule again that will take me (and the hubby) from walking 10 minutes to running 30 -- hopefully by the end of August -- provided there are no training issues or injuries. As for the weight, I am currently at 241 and my goal is to get down to the lower 160s. At the end of August, the plan is to advance into a sprint triathlon training plan.

Upcoming Races:
Do not have any planned for this year. Next year though the goal is a few sprint and Olympic distances.

2018-06-25 7:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user

Ohio
Hope you have a quick healing on the ankle Bullfrog!

Edited by Gobie 2018-06-25 7:28 PM
2018-06-25 7:36 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

New user

Ohio
Originally posted by bulfrog

Your friends are right! Having a race coming up and paid for does wonders for motivation levels. The end of the year is a long time away, if you work at it there's no doubt you can do a sprint by then.

Go on, take the plunge, you know you want to

I've taken this advice to heart. I'm doing a 5k Saturday and have also signed up for short duathlon September 1 (10k bike, 5k run). I'm also signed up for a 4 mile run in October and a 10k in November. I need to take some swim lessons before I consider a sprint triathlon!

Gobie
2018-06-25 7:40 PM
in reply to: AJ_M

User image

New user

Ohio
Originally posted by AJ_M

Here is my bio

Name:
It is German, so for the most part I go by AJ or Ella. AJ started way back when I was in elementary school and stuck. My parents never liked the nick name, though I did. So whenever I would hear my actual name it was an indication that I was in some kind of trouble or something. Hence never liking my actual name much. Ella did not come around until I was in college and someone in my class could not remember AJ and decided to call me Ella. I will be 29 in a month.

Story:
Background is in cycling. Used to do it competitively, could not find a local cycling coach that did not cost an arm and leg, so i went to the local sports shop and met the owner -- Matt, who just happened to be a triathlon coach. Figured I would give it a try, thought it would be a good challenge -- as the agreement I had with my mother was that she would not approve of me "hiring a coach" until I could bike 100k /62 mi. I did it, came up with my own training plans and everything (including nutrition). It was a lot of fun until I was forced to make the decision of athletics or school. I was "guided" to choose school.

Fast forward 10 years, in hind sight, choosing school over competitive sports (cycling and triathlons) may have been a mistake. Maybe, still trying to figure that one out. In the later years, had a slew of bad relationships, never finished school. Gained about 125ish pounds too. Got out of those relationships, and was in school, studying Criminology -- I wanted to work as police officer (life long dream). Used to be 265, then 250. Over the summer months (when there was no school), I moved a huge distance (2100 miles) & got married.

Family Status:
I have a wonderful hubby, who is extremely supportive of me wanting to lose the extra weight. Even goes out with me while I work out (we do it together & talk). We also have a wonderful cat - who we call our "Fur Baby" as we can't have children. Been married 3 years now and have a 8 year old cat (she was my birthday present -- decided to rescue a 5 year old cat).

Current Training:
Right now the plan is to get back running. Created my own schedule again that will take me (and the hubby) from walking 10 minutes to running 30 -- hopefully by the end of August -- provided there are no training issues or injuries. As for the weight, I am currently at 241 and my goal is to get down to the lower 160s. At the end of August, the plan is to advance into a sprint triathlon training plan.

Upcoming Races:
Do not have any planned for this year. Next year though the goal is a few sprint and Olympic distances.

Nice to meet you AJ!
2018-06-26 2:43 AM
in reply to: Gobie

Nice to meet you too
2018-06-26 6:37 AM
in reply to: #5237347

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Welxome AJ.

2018-06-26 6:38 AM
in reply to: #5245112

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Lets try again... welcome AJ. It is nice that you have your hubbie training with you.
2018-06-26 2:24 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Gobie
Your friends are right! Having a race coming up and paid for does wonders for motivation levels. The end of the year is a long time away, if you work at it there's no doubt you can do a sprint by then. Go on, take the plunge, you know you want to
I've taken this advice to heart. I'm doing a 5k Saturday and have also signed up for short duathlon September 1 (10k bike, 5k run). I'm also signed up for a 4 mile run in October and a 10k in November. I need to take some swim lessons before I consider a sprint triathlon! Gobie
Good for you for signing up! Definitly gives you something to train for.

2018-06-26 3:55 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by WebFootFreak Can't edit. That's *271.5 lbs* I would kill to be 171... heheh

Welcome back. Every step forward is good.

I do not know of such an app. It seems there should be one, though.

maybe someone create one and go on dragon's den to get funding????  (blurb about the programme - The show allows several entrepreneurs an opportunity to present their varying business ideas to a panel of five wealthy investors, the "Dragons" of the show's title, and pitch for financial investment while offering a stake of the company in return.)

2018-06-26 4:01 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Master
brummie land

and welcome to everybody!

i've just come back from a work visit which included a free swim at the university pool sadly only 25 metres in length but blissfully cool in comparison with our silly humid heat. 

i haven't swum in ages and it felt fab!

anybody else done something different recently and really enjoyed it?

2018-06-26 6:40 PM
in reply to: #5245113

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Welcome AJ!!

Sappho: I'm surprised that thought didn't occur to me... My oldest likes to code and has made a couple of apps for fun. May be a good night to sit down and have a chat

2018-06-27 8:44 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by WebFootFreak Welcome AJ!! Sappho: I'm surprised that thought didn't occur to me... My oldest likes to code and has made a couple of apps for fun. May be a good night to sit down and have a chat

then fly them to england to be on tv!!!!

2018-06-27 9:25 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

on the good news front i saw a 3 today!

173.8 thanks for the encouragement all. 

want to see a 2 soon

2018-06-28 6:53 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by sappho96

and welcome to everybody!

i've just come back from a work visit which included a free swim at the university pool sadly only 25 metres in length but blissfully cool in comparison with our silly humid heat. 

i haven't swum in ages and it felt fab!

anybody else done something different recently and really enjoyed it?

At this point, just about everything is "new". i did get on my road bike for the first time in about a year (hand surgery) and it was LOVELY. I also got to OWS in our lake (It has been flooded with tons of big debris in it) and it was lovely, too.

2018-07-01 10:37 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Happy First day of July!

How is everyone doing?

I am starting out the month doing a 6K on the tread mill. I am sure most will be walking, but I am doing it none the less.

2018-07-01 10:41 PM
in reply to: #5245147

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
So... 1 week down. I am keeping my lig here, and started back on MyFitnessPal for diet tracking today. I only got the 1 walk in a week ago, and played with the weed whacker for a couple hours on Friday. Its just so damn hot. I'm not sure who put Memphis inside of Mercury's orbit, but it's freakin' HOT!!

Hope to do better this week with Wed off, and walking 2x as far as last Sunday.

2018-07-02 6:48 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak So... 1 week down. I am keeping my lig here, and started back on MyFitnessPal for diet tracking today. I only got the 1 walk in a week ago, and played with the weed whacker for a couple hours on Friday. Its just so damn hot. I'm not sure who put Memphis inside of Mercury's orbit, but it's freakin' HOT!! Hope to do better this week with Wed off, and walking 2x as far as last Sunday.

Ill hold you to that! Go!!!

2018-07-02 8:48 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Welcome AJ,

And welcome back Webfoot freak... Sorry to see like me you've taken a step back in your triathlon adventure, but looking forwards to seeing lots of progress again.

2018-07-02 8:50 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by Gobie
Your friends are right! Having a race coming up and paid for does wonders for motivation levels. The end of the year is a long time away, if you work at it there's no doubt you can do a sprint by then. Go on, take the plunge, you know you want to
I've taken this advice to heart. I'm doing a 5k Saturday and have also signed up for short duathlon September 1 (10k bike, 5k run). I'm also signed up for a 4 mile run in October and a 10k in November. I need to take some swim lessons before I consider a sprint triathlon! Gobie
Good for you for signing up! Definitly gives you something to train for.

Good on you for signing up Gobie,

And how did your 5k go Robin?
2018-07-02 8:56 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I'm scheduled to see the Dr tomorrow for my foot. And it's mostly been feeling better, the strapping has helped a lot I think. But every now and then I still get the same pain, so not expecting to be cleared to run yet. But hoping it's healing OK, so 1 or 2 more weeks rest is the prescription, rather than a referral for surgery.

In the mean time, as I said last post I've been for a few swims. Unfortunately none last week as I was out of town for work.

The wife and I are also currently dealing with a rather unpleasant gastro thing, that we think the little man brought home from day care for us... Not fun, so hopefully fully over that ASAP.

Look forward to checking in tomorrow afternoon with good news from the Doc. (Knock on wood)
2018-07-03 9:40 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Look forward to checking in tomorrow afternoon with good news from the Doc. (Knock on wood)

So, revisited the Doc today, Healing OK, but not quite there yet. I'm on 2 more weeks rest, and then cleared to restart small, easy runs. Pain dependent of course. And off to physio if there is pain.

But no need for Orthopedic surgeon. So I'm taking that as a win.

2018-07-04 6:21 PM

User image

New user

Ohio

So, revisited the Doc today, Healing OK, but not quite there yet. I'm on 2 more weeks rest, and then cleared to restart small, easy runs. Pain dependent of course. And off to physio if there is pain.

But no need for Orthopedic surgeon. So I'm taking that as a win.

No surgeon is BIG WIN! Awesome!
2018-07-04 6:28 PM

User image

New user

Ohio
The heat in Ohio has been nearly unbearable. I've still managed to get in some work though. 6.5 mile run on Monday. Then this morning I got in a 13 mile bike ride and a 2.5 mile run. I ran on a trail for the first time today and it kicked my butt. First mile was a steady uphill and I wasn't prepared for it after the bike ride. My heart rate was out of control it caused me to walk much of the second half of the run. It was tough, but I survived.

My weigh in this week was headed in the right direction as well. I was 279.8, down 1.8 lbs from last week. I'm hoping to be in the 260's when I do the mini duathlon on September 1.

Here's a question for you guys. I am planning on trying to take swimming lessons over the winter. I can swim, but not very well. What skills would you recommend I ask the instructor to teach me? Breathing for sure. But are there are other skills? Different strokes? Right now, when swim across the pool, it's kind of like a sustained drowning that's occasionally interrupted by a wall
2018-07-07 8:56 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Gobie The heat in Ohio has been nearly unbearable. I've still managed to get in some work though. 6.5 mile run on Monday. Then this morning I got in a 13 mile bike ride and a 2.5 mile run. I ran on a trail for the first time today and it kicked my butt. First mile was a steady uphill and I wasn't prepared for it after the bike ride. My heart rate was out of control it caused me to walk much of the second half of the run. It was tough, but I survived. My weigh in this week was headed in the right direction as well. I was 279.8, down 1.8 lbs from last week. I'm hoping to be in the 260's when I do the mini duathlon on September 1. Here's a question for you guys. I am planning on trying to take swimming lessons over the winter. I can swim, but not very well. What skills would you recommend I ask the instructor to teach me? Breathing for sure. But are there are other skills? Different strokes? Right now, when swim across the pool, it's kind of like a sustained drowning that's occasionally interrupted by a wall

All sorts of good going on here.

Make sure your swim instructor knows what kind of swimming you are doing. If you are racing in a pool is one thing, OWS and tris are another.

2018-07-07 8:59 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I am getting ready to go on a week long "camping" trip to the highland games. It tends to be a bit rowdy.

I intend to at least start the race Thursday night there. It is called the Bear and it starts at the bottom of the mountain and goes 5 miles to the very top of Grandfather Mountain. 1700 feet incline. I have done it before (3rd from last) both times. I have not been able to train but I am hopeful I can make it. Okay, maybe not hopeful, but I am gonna try.

I won't be here during the week so you all carry on!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Clydesdales/Athenas Tri-N 4 Weightloss Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 930 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa